or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Lava subs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lava subs - Page 38

post #1111 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegnderek View Post

Hi,

How long does Lava take to ship? I ordered on Monday and received an order confirmation right away, probably automated. At this point still no tracking number. I sent a request for the status yesterday, but no response. Any one else have the "Peggy" issue?

Derek

Derek,

Peggy is always in the house. I just checked with Customer Service and they never received your message so I apologize for that. I had them send you and email with your tracking information so you will have that in your inbox.

Your sub was shipped the day after your ordered and will arrive on the 24th. Not sure why your email was never received but feel free at anytime to give us a call or chat with us live, we are more than willing to help with anything we can. We try to reply to most emails within hours or receiving them.

Peggy/Eric
post #1112 of 1392
If someone ever posts close mic or ground plane freq response for the Bic that would pretty much tell the tale.
post #1113 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

Derek,

I had them send you and email with your tracking information so you will have that in your inbox.

Peggy/Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks, I am glad you follow this thread. Per UPS it is in Chicago, half way to the East Coast.

Regards,

Derek
post #1114 of 1392
I laugh at posts (or magazine reviews for that matter) that talk about a certain Hz frequency needs to be hit for this sub (or any other) to perform effectively.

Not lower than 35hz my guinea/Mick arse.
post #1115 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Listen View Post

I mentioned before that I was wondering what accounted for the weight difference between the Lava LSP12 Subwoofer and the Bic PL-200. It turns out that the weight difference might be fairly significant.

The driver (I would call it the speaker) in the Lava LSP12 weighs in at 14.5 pounds while the Bic PL-200 only weighs 7.25 pounds. From a weight perspective, the Lava is twice the Bic.

Is bigger better?

It seems to me that this is an important difference. Does anyone else have an opinion?

What is your honest opinion when tested both subs( each separately) in a movie like Transformers or Batman? I have PL200 and the driver got damaged after 6 months of use. My interest was Lava12 but shipping costs to Puerto Rico was nearly $200 while I payed only $60 shipping for BIC.
post #1116 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegnderek View Post

Hi Eric,

Thanks, I am glad you follow this thread. Per UPS it is in Chicago, half way to the East Coast.

Regards,

Derek

Not a problem glad I could help.
post #1117 of 1392
New to the forum, and I just received my LSP12 a few days ago. It is replacing a 5 year old Velo DPS12. To me the Lava seems to have slightly less extension than my Velo did with both ports open. I did however plug one of the two ports and it seems to now dig just as deep as my old Velo did and only loses a slight amount of max output. I can feel the bass much more with the port plugged and only get slight chuffing when I turn my Pioneer Elite to MV -10. Very happy with this sub for only $287 sounding as good as my previous ~$580 Velo did. Bravo Lava Subs!!!
post #1118 of 1392
Lava driver blows the BIC out of the water in those pics. The only thing that deterred me from buying a lava sub, the enclosure looked cheap compared to the competition. Wheres the bracing guys? Other QC issues were a bit concerning, enough to pick the competition.
post #1119 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsouthpaw View Post

New to the forum, and I just received my LSP12 a few days ago. It is replacing a 5 year old Velo DPS12. To me the Lava seems to have slightly less extension than my Velo did with both ports open. I did however plug one of the two ports and it seems to now dig just as deep as my old Velo did and only loses a slight amount of max output. I can feel the bass much more with the port plugged and only get slight chuffing when I turn my Pioneer Elite to MV -10. Very happy with this sub for only $287 sounding as good as my previous ~$580 Velo did. Bravo Lava Subs!!!


jdsouthpaw, I am glad you like it.
post #1120 of 1392
Has anyone added spikes to their Lava sub yet? I'm considering ordering (2) 10" units to replace a recently departed Klipsch SW15 (1995 vintage-anyone need a 70 lb boat anchor?). The room where they are going to be placed is carpet over a wood subfloor and joists and I don't want to deal with excessive vibration.

Are the rubber feet attached with threaded bolts and do they appear to be standard sized diameter?

I know I can by a couple of Subdudes, but one of the locations I want to place one of the units does not have enough clearance (under an end table) once it on the platform...not to mention that adds $100+ dollars.

I e-mailed Lava these same questions this morning, but I'm impatient.

My ridiculously large SW15 only went to 27 hz according to Klipsch (how's that for efficiency?), so It wil be interesting to see how much, if any, deeper these two little subs go. If they even represent a match to what I had, it's amazing how far sub-tech has come in 15 years. That SW15 was twice what these (2) 10" cost.
post #1121 of 1392
see if lava will still honor the two 10" subs for 399 deal.
post #1122 of 1392
I sent them a message this morning and asked. After I sent it, I tried out the website and when you select (2) 10" you get the $399 and change price. I'll still need to request the 15% off code if I decide to pull the trigger..which I'll probably do. I really want the Rhythmic Audio FV12, but this is an unplanned expense and I want to keep the price down. To be honest, I feel pretty certain these two 10" will be better than my old single 15" so I should be satisfied. The wife complained about the old one and I don't need the additional pain of significantly more output.
post #1123 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason View Post

I sent them a message this morning and asked. After I sent it, I tried out the website and when you select (2) 10" you get the $399 and change price. I'll still need to request the 15% off code if I decide to pull the trigger..which I'll probably do. I really want the Rhythmic Audio FV12, but this is an unplanned expense and I want to keep the price down. To be honest, I feel pretty certain these two 10" will be better than my old single 15" so I should be satisfied. The wife complained about the old one and I don't need the additional pain of significantly more output.

Cason,

Customer Service should have just replied to your email. Just wanted to let you know. Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

Thanks,

Eric
post #1124 of 1392
I saw your message and replied back with a couple of more questions. Thanks for such a quick response!
post #1125 of 1392
As I mentioned before, I purchased both the Lava LSP12 and the Bic PL-200 to try to determine which was the better budget subwoofer. I have posted some of the physical differences between the two. Those differences are perhaps not as meaningful as the difference in sound. It is difficult for me to give anything but my opinion when it comes to the difference in sound. My opinion is that the Lava LSP12 is by far the better sounding sub. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the driver on the Lava is roughly twice the size, but my experience is that the size matters when it comes to the sound in this case. The two subs look the same when it comes to specifications, but when you open the boxes and then plug them in, the differences become obvious. I have to say that for roughly the same price, it is a fairly easy choice to pick the Lava LSP12 over the Bic PL-200. It just seems to me to be the all-around better subwoofer. I'm happy to provide something more definitive than my opinion if someone has specific questions. My capabilities are limited when compared with most others on this forum, but I'm happy to do what I can.
post #1126 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Listen View Post

As I mentioned before, I purchased both the Lava LSP12 and the Bic PL-200 to try to determine which was the better budget subwoofer. I have posted some of the physical differences between the two. Those differences are perhaps not as meaningful as the difference in sound. It is difficult for me to give anything but my opinion when it comes to the difference in sound. My opinion is that the Lava LSP12 is by far the better sounding sub. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the driver on the Lava is roughly twice the size, but my experience is that the size matters when it comes to the sound in this case. The two subs look the same when it comes to specifications, but when you open the boxes and then plug them in, the differences become obvious. I have to say that for roughly the same price, it is a fairly easy choice to pick the Lava LSP12 over the Bic PL-200. It just seems to me to be the all-around better subwoofer. I'm happy to provide something more definitive than my opinion if someone has specific questions. My capabilities are limited when compared with most others on this forum, but I'm happy to do what I can.

Would love a frequency chart comparison.

Which subwoofer can dipp lower in performance/frequency range?
post #1127 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Listen View Post

As I mentioned before, I purchased both the Lava LSP12 and the Bic PL-200 to try to determine which was the better budget subwoofer. I have posted some of the physical differences between the two. Those differences are perhaps not as meaningful as the difference in sound. It is difficult for me to give anything but my opinion when it comes to the difference in sound. My opinion is that the Lava LSP12 is by far the better sounding sub. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the driver on the Lava is roughly twice the size, but my experience is that the size matters when it comes to the sound in this case. The two subs look the same when it comes to specifications, but when you open the boxes and then plug them in, the differences become obvious. I have to say that for roughly the same price, it is a fairly easy choice to pick the Lava LSP12 over the Bic PL-200. It just seems to me to be the all-around better subwoofer. I'm happy to provide something more definitive than my opinion if someone has specific questions. My capabilities are limited when compared with most others on this forum, but I'm happy to do what I can.

I got tossed out of another thread about the Bic because I stated it really wasn't as good as everyone seems to believe it is. The problem there was that the lies were running rampant with people saying they had LOTS of experience with subs and the Bic was the shiz-nit of "econo" subs. All I was doing was telling them a comperable BETTER sub for LESS money and how to DIY the Bic to make it sound better and consequently got booted.

Your conclusions have completely matched mine when it came to the Bic and proves my point that people just don't know what they are listening to. They think if it goes 'boom' or 'bump' and loudly, that's all there is to it and there is soooo much more to it than that. Alot of people mistake distortion for 'loud' and simply put, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I respect your input and 'science' as well as your own personal observations and just goes to show EXACTLY what I have been saying for decades now; "it doesn't matter what the numbers on paper say, that's just a bunch of numbers on paper. What Matters is how does it sound to YOU in YOUR environment that matters. Because I guaran-damn-tee you that those ARE NOT the same numbers in your home while watching a movie or listening to music."

Now this is not to say Lava is top of the line, but for what it is and the cost, it is a pretty damn good sub that can easily hold its own. At the price point it's at, it is hard to beat for the quality of sound from other similarily priced subs. Bravo Lava, Bravo...
post #1128 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I got tossed out of another thread about the Bic because I stated it really wasn't as good as everyone seems to believe it is. The problem there was that the lies were running rampant with people saying they had LOTS of experience with subs and the Bic was the shiz-nit of "econo" subs. All I was doing was telling them a comperable BETTER sub for LESS money and how to DIY the Bic to make it sound better and consequently got booted.

Your conclusions have completely matched mine when it came to the Bic and proves my point that people just don't know what they are listening to. They think if it goes 'boom' or 'bump' and loudly, that's all there is to it and there is soooo much more to it than that. Alot of people mistake distortion for 'loud' and simply put, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I respect your input and 'science' as well as your own personal observations and just goes to show EXACTLY what I have been saying for decades now; "it doesn't matter what the numbers on paper say, that's just a bunch of numbers on paper. What Matters is how does it sound to YOU in YOUR environment that matters. Because I guaran-damn-tee you that those ARE NOT the same numbers in your home while watching a movie or listening to music."

Now this is not to say Lava is top of the line, but for what it is and the cost, it is a pretty damn good sub that can easily hold its own. At the price point it's at, it is hard to beat for the quality of sound from other similarily priced subs. Bravo Lava, Bravo...

So what are your DIY recomendations and will they work on the Lavas?
if i can get even more out of these subs i'll give it a try. Dont get me wrong im happy with 3 of the babies but if i can get more out of them i want it. lol
post #1129 of 1392
I haven't personally heard a Lava so I can't comment on if the same DIY is worth it or not.
post #1130 of 1392
Ya got me thinking so I started a post in the DIY section. Maybe, some good mods will come out of it. I'll post back here if anything works.
post #1131 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Listen View Post

As I mentioned before, I purchased both the Lava LSP12 and the Bic PL-200 to try to determine which was the better budget subwoofer. I have posted some of the physical differences between the two. Those differences are perhaps not as meaningful as the difference in sound. It is difficult for me to give anything but my opinion when it comes to the difference in sound. My opinion is that the Lava LSP12 is by far the better sounding sub. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the driver on the Lava is roughly twice the size, but my experience is that the size matters when it comes to the sound in this case. The two subs look the same when it comes to specifications, but when you open the boxes and then plug them in, the differences become obvious. I have to say that for roughly the same price, it is a fairly easy choice to pick the Lava LSP12 over the Bic PL-200. It just seems to me to be the all-around better subwoofer. I'm happy to provide something more definitive than my opinion if someone has specific questions. My capabilities are limited when compared with most others on this forum, but I'm happy to do what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I got tossed out of another thread about the Bic because I stated it really wasn't as good as everyone seems to believe it is. The problem there was that the lies were running rampant with people saying they had LOTS of experience with subs and the Bic was the shiz-nit of "econo" subs. All I was doing was telling them a comperable BETTER sub for LESS money and how to DIY the Bic to make it sound better and consequently got booted.

Your conclusions have completely matched mine when it came to the Bic and proves my point that people just don't know what they are listening to. They think if it goes 'boom' or 'bump' and loudly, that's all there is to it and there is soooo much more to it than that. Alot of people mistake distortion for 'loud' and simply put, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I respect your input and 'science' as well as your own personal observations and just goes to show EXACTLY what I have been saying for decades now; "it doesn't matter what the numbers on paper say, that's just a bunch of numbers on paper. What Matters is how does it sound to YOU in YOUR environment that matters. Because I guaran-damn-tee you that those ARE NOT the same numbers in your home while watching a movie or listening to music."

Now this is not to say Lava is top of the line, but for what it is and the cost, it is a pretty damn good sub that can easily hold its own. At the price point it's at, it is hard to beat for the quality of sound from other similarily priced subs. Bravo Lava, Bravo...

No flame intended but the fact the someone else's opinion coincides with yours hardly qualifies as proof of anything other than you both prefer the Lava vs the BIC. JMO
post #1132 of 1392
The Lava really is a good budget sub. After being spoiled by my SVS subs, I can't help but be impressed by the performance of the LSP12. It may not dig down below 20hz or have the most SPL, but what I can do from 30hz and up it does well with minimal port noise or distortion. It's sounds pretty damn good with music too.

In the end what really made me choose the Lava over the BIC was customer service. I had comfort in knowing that I was dealing directly with the company instead of "Mike" from sound distributors or amazon or some other store front. Also I was turned off by the issues with disconnected drivers and subs not being in stock. I know every company has its issues at some point, Lava just seemed like a safer choice at the time.

I would love to see audioholics do a review of the PL200 just to get a professional view of how they compare
post #1133 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Would love a frequency chart comparison.

Which subwoofer can dipp lower in performance/frequency range?

My money would be on the BIC from what I've read on different boards
post #1134 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

My money would be on the BIC from what I've read on different boards

Yeah but I read from one reviewer on another home theater forum he felt that the Lava went deeper than the PL200 he heard

but then again he heard the pl200 in a different room than what he tested the Lava in
post #1135 of 1392
www.data-bass.com has begun some very strong amateur reviews of subwoofers. They supposedly have completed a review of the PL-200 and several other 'inexpensive' subwoofers and are in the process of putting together reviews on their web page.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sp12-subwoofer - Lava LSP-12 - drops off substantially below 35 Hz

One individual in the PL-200 forum, with exceptional room loading and playing test tones, was able to get output at 23 Hz. At least two individuals in the PL-200 forum have upgraded to subwoofers such as the Hsu STF-2 (or above) because they (strongly) felt that the PL-200 was not sufficiently musical.
post #1136 of 1392
The PL-200 is not musical. I wonder if a new driver would help that...
post #1137 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

www.data-bass.com has begun some very strong amateur reviews of subwoofers. They supposedly have completed a review of the PL-200 and several other 'inexpensive' subwoofers and are in the process of putting together reviews on their web page.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sp12-subwoofer - Lava LSP-12 - drops off substantially below 35 Hz

One individual in the PL-200 forum, with exceptional room loading and playing test tones, was able to get output at 23 Hz. At least two individuals in the PL-200 forum have upgraded to subwoofers such as the Hsu STF-2 (or above) because they (strongly) felt that the PL-200 was not sufficiently musical.

I would love to see data-bass run a test of the Lava but I would also like them to see using chart differences when going from the LFE inputs and low-level inputs

And a Lava owner here running test tones said the Lava LSP12 came alive around 23-24hz for him... So that experience of the PL-200 is no different than that Lava owner
post #1138 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandini View Post

The PL-200 is not musical. I wonder if a new driver would help that...

A question better suited for the bic forum.
post #1139 of 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The Lava really is a good budget sub. After being spoiled by my SVS subs, I can't help but be impressed by the performance of the LSP12. It may not dig down below 20hz or have the most SPL, but what I can do from 30hz and up it does well with minimal port noise or distortion. It's sounds pretty damn good with music too.

In the end what really made me choose the Lava over the BIC was customer service. I had comfort in knowing that I was dealing directly with the company instead of "Mike" from sound distributors or amazon or some other store front. Also I was turned off by the issues with disconnected drivers and subs not being in stock. I know every company has its issues at some point, Lava just seemed like a safer choice at the time.

My reasons to buy from Lava were the same, except that I have an LSP10 for my small room and I really do love it's performance and sound.
post #1140 of 1392
Those were very interesting pictures of the drivers side by side. I have not heard the Lava sub but I do own 2 PL-200s. I don't have any measuring equiptment but from listening to movies like War of the Worlds, Tron: Legacy, Titan AE, Cloverfield etc, the PL-200s dig very deep. With both of them running I can actually FEEL the bass from those films. The Lava seems like a good sub but the specs on it did not look that impressive to me. I know sometimes those numbers don't mean anything but they are a good place to start. Everyone's room is a little different and some subs will sound better in other rooms than others. Personal taste also comes into play and for me the PL-200s are a great value. I know there are other more expensive subs that sound better but for now these fit the bill. I do plan on upgrading one day to better, heavier, beefier subs but watching movies in my theater with these subs are not giving me the upgrade bug. My plan is to get two Epik Empires in another year or so but trust me I'm in no rush.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Lava subs