or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

I did one firmware update today the 17/9, now i have everything connected again. In the setup face now, testing media streaming atm, working really nice but PMS has better GUI.



Does this unit get as hot as the one you just replaced?
post #242 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

Im also looking for this, been reading the manual all morning.

EDIT: I found it, turn on the unit, press and hold display+press and hold standby. I got firmware 1.03

Thanks! Is 1.03 the updated firmware?
post #243 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Does this unit get as hot as the one you just replaced?

Yes it does, it gets really hot! I will se if i can find my Laser tempratur reader somewhere to take a reading on the unit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Thanks! Is 1.03 the updated firmware?

Yes it is. Dident check version before uptade but problely 1.00.
post #244 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

Yes it does, it gets really hot! I will se if i can find my Laser tempratur reader somewhere to take a reading on the unit.




Yes it is. Dident check version before uptade but problely 1.00.

Thanks Meller!
post #245 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

Dont think i will be using XT32 i will setup using the old standard way (ruler and SPL meter), it seems that Audyssey kills the GO in the music.

Hi,

Have you tried using Dynamic EQ and done some experimentation using the Audyssey Dynamic EQ® Reference Level Offset feature?

Have you experienced problems with movies when Audyssey was engaged?

If you are having difficulties with Audyssey you might consider describing your setup and concerns over at the "Official" Audyssey thread. You'll see in the first posting a very useful Audyssey Setup Guide. In addition, Audyssey's Chief Technical Officer is a very active contributor to the thread and he will likely be able to assist you.

Larry
post #246 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Have you tried using Dynamic EQ and done some experimentation using the Audyssey Dynamic EQ® Reference Level Offset feature?

Have you experienced problems with movies when Audyssey was engaged?

If you are having difficulties with Audyssey you might consider describing your setup and concerns over at the "Official" Audyssey thread. You'll see in the first posting a very useful Audyssey Setup Guide. In addition, Audyssey's Chief Technical Officer is a very active contributor to the thread and he will likely be able to assist you.

Larry

I did use Audyssey on my first unit, it works really really well the audio is clear and nice when you do a proper setup. But in Stereo where i use 2.1 and in movies 5.1 the punch is not there anymore. I have done manual setup today and its now where i want it. I have read the Audyssey setup guide many times and its the best guide so far i have found. Maybe to use Audyssey to setup distance, delays, crossovers then turn room filter of is a way too. But now im HAPPY
post #247 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

I did use Audyssey on my first unit, it works really really well the audio is clear and nice when you do a proper setup. But in Stereo where i use 2.1 and in movies 5.1 the punch is not there anymore.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your remarks, but if you found Audyssey to work well on your first unit and not on this unit, it suggests either a problem with the current unit or a setup issue.

Larry
post #248 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your remarks, but if you found Audyssey to work well on your first unit and not on this unit, it suggests either a problem with the current unit or a setup issue.

Larry

No no it works on both 80.2 i have hade. But i got the feeling that music became lifeless and flat, and movies is missing that nice punch to it. I even feelt this way with my Denon-3808 i hade before. So now i will try the manual way to Hifi insteed
post #249 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

No no it works on both 80.2 i have hade. But i got the feeling that music became lifeless and flat, and movies is missing that nice punch to it. I even feelt this way with my Denon-3808 i hade before. So now i will try the manual way to Hifi instead

Sometimes the levels of the bass are somewhat off (sub woofer). Lot's is written on this in the audyssey forum. It may be that your sub woofer needs to raised a bit in its level. If you have a good level meter (radio shack makes one but it needs base level corrections that are on line). you could use that to set the levels.


A good boom (this is a stand for microphones not a sound level) is important to put the integra mic in the measurement positions without affecting the ambient sound. The martin logan forum has a sticky about this.

I spent a long time learning to get my 885 sounding right.

What is your system other than the Integra?

Joel
post #250 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

Dont think i will be using XT32 i will setup using the old standard way (ruler and SPL meter), it seems that Audyssey kills the GO in the music.

And whose opinions are you trusting on this? Many of us (admittedly not all) agree that Audyssey is a huge step forward in audio unless (and let us know if you fit this category) your room has perfect acoustical properties. What Audyssey kills is the BOOM and SPLAT in the sound and, unfortunately, many users are addicted to those distortions.

Besides, you cannot set the distance for the sub with any accuracy using a ruler/tape measure because it cannot measure the actual time delay. Distance is a crude measure of it anyway. So, I suggest you run the full Audyssey setup and, only then, compare the sound with and without Audyssey EQ for yourself.
post #251 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Sometimes the levels of the bass are somewhat off (sub woofer). Lot's is written on this in the audyssey forum. It may be that your sub woofer needs to raised a bit in its level. If you have a good level meter (radio shack makes one but it needs base level corrections that are on line). you could use that to set the levels.


A good boom is important to put the integra mic in the measurement positions without affecting the ambient sound. The martin logan forum has a sticky about this.

I spent a long time learning to get my 885 sounding right.

What is your system other than the Integra?

Joel

I will experiment more this weekend and have a look at the bass levels. My system is. Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3, Elac FS 249 fronts and Elac cc241 center, back channels not in place yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And whose opinions are you trusting on this? Many of us (admittedly not all) agree that Audyssey is a huge step forward in audio unless (and let us know if you fit this category) your room has perfect acoustical properties. What Audyssey kills is the BOOM and SPLAT in the sound and, unfortunately, many users are addicted to those distortions.

Besides, you cannot set the distance for the sub with any accuracy using a ruler/tape measure because it cannot measure the actual time delay. Distance is a crude measure of it anyway. So, I suggest you run the full Audyssey setup and, only then, compare the sound with and without Audyssey EQ for yourself.

I will try this weekend to get the most of my system. I will run a full Audyssey setup and try switching betwen the modes.
Nope my room is not treated to perfection far from that to be honest. Thers always something to learn about audio, and thats the fun part
post #252 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And whose opinions are you trusting on this? Many of us (admittedly not all) agree that Audyssey is a huge step forward in audio unless (and let us know if you fit this category) your room has perfect acoustical properties. What Audyssey kills is the BOOM and SPLAT in the sound and, unfortunately, many users are addicted to those distortions.

Besides, you cannot set the distance for the sub with any accuracy using a ruler/tape measure because it cannot measure the actual time delay. Distance is a crude measure of it anyway. So, I suggest you run the full Audyssey setup and, only then, compare the sound with and without Audyssey EQ for yourself.

Interesting is the use of "boom". In my note I meant a stand for a microphone and in yours you meant "I assume" excessive bass. English is quite an expressive language.

Joel
post #253 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

I will experiment more this weekend and have a look at the bass levels. My system is. Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3, Elac FS 249 fronts and Elac cc241 center, back channels not in place yet.



I will try this weekend to get the most of my system. I will run a full Audyssey setup and try switching betwen the modes.
Nope my room is not treated to perfection far from that to be honest. Thers always something to learn about audio, and thats the fun part

Your system looks excellent so far. Can you bi amp your 249's or use the subs in them as the sub woofer(s)?

This class of pre/pros( starting with the 9.8/885) are really designed for a 5.1 system or higher. As you add surrounds and a subwoofer I think you will see its benefits. The 80.2 is supposed to excel in cases where there are two subs in the system. We really do not know yet how the new Audyssey XT32 system will compare with the previous versions or how it will do with stereo listening.

I use a different system which is quite old (circa 1980 B&W 801s driven by an Amber preamp the large 600W/ch Carver amp) but still satisfactory for my stereo listening in general. The advent of SACDs have gotten me interested in the new digital technology and then there is of course Blu-ray video and sound. One of Kal's early articles tweaked my interest and led to my current (constantly tweaked) 7.1 system for SACDs etc and video.

Joel

Joel
post #254 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Your system looks excellent so far. Can you bi amp your 249's or use the subs in them as the sub woofer(s)?

This class of pre/pros( starting with the 9.8/885) are really designed for a 5.1 system or higher. As you add surrounds and a subwoofer I think you will see its benefits. The 80.2 is supposed to excel in cases where there are two subs in the system. We really do not know yet how the new Audyssey XT32 system will compare with the previous versions or how it will do with stereo listening.

I use a different system which is quite old (circa 1980 B&W 801s driven by an Amber preamp the large 600W/ch Carver amp) but still satisfactory for my stereo listening in general. The advent of SACDs have gotten me interested in the new digital technology and then there is of course Blu-ray video and sound. One of Kal's early articles tweaked my interest and led to my current (constantly tweaked) 7.1 system for SACDs etc and video.

Joel

Joel

Sorry i left out that i have an Elac Sub 2080D twin 10" 500w, but its soon going to be replaced with a Paradigm Sub 25 i get the new sub next week. A friend of mine has been on me to get SACD, but for the moment i have other priorites.

Any one else that got there 80.2 up and running?
post #255 of 3823
You could use both subs with the 80.2. I am waiting for mine now. That is why I am so interested in your experiences.
post #256 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Interesting is the use of "boom". In my note I meant a stand for a microphone and in yours you meant "I assume" excessive bass. English is quite an expressive language.
Joel

Indeed. Expressive and, often, complex. I'll bet they guys who worked in the Gulf Oil Spill would offer yet another meaning.
post #257 of 3823
80.2 info and manual now up at Integra's web site. Link to manual below:

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...6786320475e647
post #258 of 3823
Picked up my new DHC-80.2 this morning. It's sitting in the car waiting for me to take it home and hook it up. Fun, but I'm considering a complete rewire of the audio/video rack now (it's a mess) so I may not have it up and running for a couple of days.
post #259 of 3823
Okay I got my 80.2 set up, but I've had very little time to really do any critical listening and no two channel yet. Just TV. I won't have a chance to run Audessey until Friday. Took awhile to get the audio and video settings set right. The manual is far from the best that I've seen. I have it connected to an Integra DTA 70.1 nine channel amp and am running Def Tech ST's, Mythos 10, Gem XL's and Mythos two (for the wides). The 9.1does open up the soundstage nicely. My most recent flagship was the Pioneer SC-09TX but I sold that in July so real world comparison would just be from memory. I connected amp and pre-pro with Monoprice XLR's, including XLR to RCA sub cable. The sub is a bit hot right now. Audessey should cure that I'm sure.

What I like about it: All the bells and whistles naturally. 9.1 even on 2.0 sources - way cool. So far nice and clear sound. I'm not blown away, but I'm really waiting until I do the audessey so take that with a grain of salt. Got to admit though I really like the bass. Even though it's hot its so full and deep. The amp isn't breaking a sweat either. The video processor appears to be about even to the DVDO Edge that I was running before this. Too early to really tell yet which is better, but either way it's probably going to be a wash cause they both do a good job. I really like being able to see the OSD. The display window is nice and I can see it clearly from 15' away. Frankly, coming from the SC-09 and the Marantz AV8003/MM8003 before that I am relieved that the sound - so far -nicely compares. The SC-09 was awesome with two channel sound though so I'm reserving my opinion on that.

What I don't like so far - not much but I have a bit of an hdmi handshake issue when I go into the set up menu. Wierd. Sometimes it works fine and other times it just has problems connecting. I'm not a networking guy so I have no comment on that.

I have a lot to go over and haven't adjusted any video settings either. This is one very cool processor and I like it alot. I'll have more to report after Friday when I do the audessey. I'll try to post some pics. Excuse the spelling mistakes.
post #260 of 3823
Here are some pics
LL
LL
LL
post #261 of 3823
More pics
LL
LL
LL
post #262 of 3823
Got mine hooked up today as well. Now I'm coming from using a Yamah RXV-2700 as a pre/pro so this thing is sounding really good. Right now I'm only using a 5.1 setup with GR Research LS9's for my LCR and N3S for Side surrounds. I have an amp on order to power my back two speakers for 7.2 but it's not here yet so I just did a quick run on Audyssey in 3 positions until new amp arrives. By the way my 5 channel amp is an Earthquake Cinenova.

One thing that really stood out is how nice the video processing is in the 80.2. I'm a videophile by no means but I'm using a Panny AE3000u front projector and things are looking fantastic. Only a couple hours of messing around playing some xbox360 and my fiancee and I watching the lastest episode of Boardwalk Empire.

I use an Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE 2 channel pre amp for my 2 channel duties but will do a comparison soon to see how the 80.2 holds up. Will get more in depth in the next few days. College football Saturday is a long day of food and other goods so not much will be done that day

Still trying to figure out many settings and will have to read more thoroughly in the manual.
post #263 of 3823
I myself am curious about units 2 channel analog performance. I don't expect it to be as good as dedicated 2 channel preamps but if it comes close that will be something.
post #264 of 3823
Is there anywhere in Europe I can get this unit, or Integra at all? haven't been able to locate any, and the Integra site's version of international is Canada and Mexico...
post #265 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post

Is there anywhere in Europe I can get this unit, or Integra at all? haven't been able to locate any, and the Integra site's version of international is Canada and Mexico...

Have you tried asking any of your local onkyo dealers if they can get the product line? That would seem like a good place to start as onkyo does have a eu website.
post #266 of 3823
hi, you can buy it at : csn-teknik.dk , a danish shop, I´m in the process for buying one myself...
post #267 of 3823
I see they don't have the official DCH page up yet, and no prices. Maybe you could save me the email to them and PM me the price you got for the 80.2?

Edit:
Does this unit have true balanced outputs? The Onkyo 5508 has XLR outputs, but not true balanced.
post #268 of 3823
I will get mine on Friday. Hope to get it set up that night, but have to be gone over the weekend.
post #269 of 3823
I have an 80.1 and am thinking about getting the 80.2 to replace, simply to gain the HDMI 1.4 capabilities. I'm moving soon and will have to tear down the theater and put it back up anyways, so it's a good time to do this.

Is there anything else about the 80.2 that is an improvement over the 80.1?
post #270 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

I have an 80.1 and am thinking about getting the 80.2 to replace, simply to gain the HDMI 1.4 capabilities. I'm moving soon and will have to tear down the theater and put it back up anyways, so it's a good time to do this.

Is there anything else about the 80.2 that is an improvement over the 80.1?

Audyssey XT32
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread