or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread - Page 119

post #3541 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

well, after 18 mo's, my 80.2 has developed the same problem.
wondering if i should contact my dealer or just deal with onkyo myself...
a shame...i really began to think i was over the hump
still 2 to 4 wks turnaround for repair?

Mine just did the same thing last night. It's dead.
post #3542 of 3823
Wow, That stinks for you guys. I hope this is not a trend. If you guys don't mind, let us know how Onkyo/service handles your issue.
post #3543 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

well, after 18 mo's, my 80.2 has developed the same problem.
wondering if i should contact my dealer or just deal with onkyo myself...
a shame...i really began to think i was over the hump
still 2 to 4 wks turnaround for repair?


I just made an appointment with the service center. After five weeks of them trying to order an hdmi board integra finally confirmed that the boards were on back order and & after I called to complain they sent me a new 80.3. So in mycase it worked out okay.
post #3544 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post


Mine just did the same thing last night. It's dead.

Mine failed the 1st of last month. I called the repair ctr that was closest to me, but got the wrong impression from the person that I talked to.
I chose  the regional repair ctr in Hungton Beach, (Adams Electronics) & my turn-a-round was 5 days.

post #3545 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Wow, That stinks for you guys. I hope this is not a trend. If you guys don't mind, let us know how Onkyo/service handles your issue.

Are you familiar with this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339186/the-official-onkyo-rc270-nr708-nr808-nr1008-nr5008-integra-80-2-failure-thread
post #3546 of 3823
Well, after 24 months my unit died with the same symptons. I took it to the local authorized repair shop and they have no idea how long it will be and calling Integra is basically useless and they can provide no information. This is the second HDMI board that has failed from Onkyo/Integra on me. The first was in a Onkyo TX-NR906 Receiver. Yes they are fine once it is repaired but, I have had enough. DHC-80.2 will be up for sale as soon as it is returned. I ordered the Marantz AV8801 a short while ago as the replacement.
post #3547 of 3823
Does anyone know if the Audyssey filters are applied to the HDMI digital output on the 80.2 in addition to being applied to the analog outputs?
post #3548 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Does anyone know if the Audyssey filters are applied to the HDMI digital output on the 80.2 in addition to being applied to the analog outputs?

Not applied to any outputs other than what goes to speakers ... or external amps and then to spkrs.
post #3549 of 3823
david, i just read your review of the oppo 103, in which you say that you prefer the oppo analog outs to the sound of the 80.2 via hdmi...

just curious, do you use audyssey xt32 in your setup...?
post #3550 of 3823
Not when I'm reviewing something. I turn off all equalization to have a level playing field.
post #3551 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Not when I'm reviewing something. I turn off all equalization to have a level playing field.

Have you reviewed Audyssey room correction?

Jeff
post #3552 of 3823
When using the test tones of the 80.2 to check levels, are those tones run through Audyssey
post #3553 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Have you reviewed Audyssey room correction?
Jeff

Jeff,

In most of my reviews of AVRs and pre/pros with Audyssey, I cover how well it works. For example, I just reviewed a Denon AVR and while the room correction didn't make a big difference in my main listening room (that's treated), it made a huge difference in an untreated room.
post #3554 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

When using the test tones of the 80.2 to check levels, are those tones run through Audyssey

 

Replied to same post in Audyssey thread.

post #3555 of 3823
under the "hardware setup" screen, hdmi...what does "audio tv out" control...?
post #3556 of 3823
i'll just cut to it...

the only way i can play music from my pc (via analog on "pc" input) is to have "audio tv out" turned to "on"...

??

this is on my newly repaired 80.2...

i also am getting video for BD and CABLE via hdmi...no sound


i AM 57 and prone to the occasional brain cramp...but i fear something is amiss...
post #3557 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

i'll just cut to it...
the only way i can play music from my pc (via analog on "pc" input) is to have "audio tv out" turned to "on"...
??
this is on my newly repaired 80.2...
i also am getting video for BD and CABLE via hdmi...no sound
i AM 57 and prone to the occasional brain cramp...but i fear something is amiss...

See if the internal test tones produce any sound.
post #3558 of 3823
^^^
no test tones...save for a low level hum of some sort
post #3559 of 3823
It's been some time since this came up but very frustrated and wondering what to do. I just got the new oppo 105 and can basically play any disc I want. It will stream DSD and the 80.2 picks it up and displays it as DSD input. Works for stereo and multi-channel.

DTS works as well but the sample rate is 48.
DTS 24/96 is picked up but output at 48. Meaning the data on the audio stream shows as DTS 24/96 but the sample rate is 48.

So I can stream SACD and can in fact correctly read what is the signal is that is coming in but am reading it .... or seems like sampling it at a lower rate of 48. Have tried everything I can think of the best I have done to date is to get the oppo to put out multi-channel DSD over HDMI 1 as pcm with a sample rate of 80.2

I can confirm that if I set my music server to 24/96 output for native high rez FLAC files they are read and sampled correctly by the Integra. So it can be done in terms of sample rate. I can finally confirm that if I use the Blu-ray in my PC server with the same disc and DTS 24/96 out via HDMI the integra continues to read the stream as 24/96 and samples it as 48...... So it aint the oppo.

Any update on how to take advantage of the better sample rates for hi rez multi channel recordings? As near as I can tell it seems like Integra has a solid wall around this and if a multi channel stream and I am using a bitstream feed over HDMI (also tried spdif) but if it comes in at anything other then 44.1 or 48 it simple ignores it and plays it at a lower sample rate.

Any clue on how to set, or setup to take advantage of the processing power of these units would be a big help.
post #3560 of 3823
still messin with my "repaired" 80.2...

to get even an analog signal to play 2 channel stereo (pc or turntable) the "tv speaker on" option in hdmi must be activated. if i unplug my hdmi cable from the 80.2 to the tv i get no sound via analog outputs...


my sharp tv displays "receiving auto return channel now" even tho that option is turned "off". tv must be on to get any sound, and i still get no audio via hdmi from my oppo or cable box


i'm sure they tested this unit after repair...

or i've got something cockeyed...tho the loaner i had worked fine

oh yeah...my tv now displays sc5508 instead of dhc 80.2...no big deal, but still
post #3561 of 3823
Interesting, most everyone has always said the 80.2 was almost identical to the 5508, this just confirms it. LOL cool.gif
Edited by Theresa - 12/16/12 at 7:07am
post #3562 of 3823
Another dead 80.2 with no sound from HDMI sources. Off to the local authorized repair shop- luckily it's only a couple miles from here. Fingers crossed the repair goes OK.
post #3563 of 3823
Sorry to hear this. Onkyo/Integra should have a recall of the XXX8/80.2 models..
Edited by Theresa - 12/16/12 at 9:34am
post #3564 of 3823
They will fix them when they fail. They will even fix them outside of the warranty period, but there's been no broad "recall."

Jeff
post #3565 of 3823
A bit of an update and maybe help to some. If you turn off EQ you can indeed get DTS 96/24 to show on the units front plate display. If you check the audio stats it sees DTS 96/24 and shows an output of 48khz.

Same for DTS Master Audio
Same for just about anything you put in Blueray movies, music, hi rez etc..... it all seems to be seen by the unit ok but all output is at best 48. Well direct DSD is 44.1 ... understand why on that one but the balance I am lost. It knows what is coming in but seems to be sampling it at a lower rate.... more to the point it seems to be telling me its is sampling at a lower rate.

Again can confirm via FLAC and my PC and can put out 24/96 2 channel Hi rez files and see the sample rate come back as 96..... so I am stuck with some setting that seems to givern the sample rate and max it out at 48 no matter what I put in. Again any help.... next stop I suppose is going to have to be a call into Integra support.
post #3566 of 3823
If you check the fine print of your manual, you will see what limitations, if any, there are on sampling and bit-rates. These limitations are due to computational resources, or rather the lack of them. IMO, this is a great unspoken truth and the community should trumpet these limitations to anyone who will listen. Only by talking about it and causing lost sales will manufacturers ever address it. The next more capable DSP would only cost, at most, a few dollars more.

Jeff
post #3567 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

still messin with my "repaired" 80.2...
to get even an analog signal to play 2 channel stereo (pc or turntable) the "tv speaker on" option in hdmi must be activated. if i unplug my hdmi cable from the 80.2 to the tv i get no sound via analog outputs...
my sharp tv displays "receiving auto return channel now" even tho that option is turned "off". tv must be on to get any sound, and i still get no audio via hdmi from my oppo or cable box


just curious how the tv being on (connected only by a single hdmi) would have any influence on an analog signal...?
post #3568 of 3823
Checked and double checked the manual. It does indeed call out 2 exceptions that you have to account for in the fine print. If you are using EQ or going to Zone 2 then DTS will be used....page 48. got it understood and agreed. Seems the processing power does not extend to a point where it can deal with both EQ and higher sample rates nor can the unit pump out higher rates to a second zone.

However..... page 45 of the manual states DTS 96/24 is supported on up to 5.1 channels with the above noted excpetion (*8) on page 48 tells you it will use DTS if you are using EQ or zone 2.

With EQ off I do indeed get the right read of the stream and front pannel display of DTS 96/24 and I still get a sample rate of 48khz. I assume this means that the incoming singnal is reclocked to a lower rate then fed to the DAC, as the sample rate is a report back of what is being sent to the DAC not what is coming in.

For those of you out there reading this I would love to know what I am doing wrong or what I missed in the fine print. For those who have this working I would love to hear from you

For the balance you may want to start to take a look at what is going with how your unit reads and or responds to incoming singnals. If like me you pay a premium for Hi rez FLAC or Multi Channel recordings it sort of matters to me what the unit is doing with them. You want all your more expensive Blue ray's down sampled to the same resolution you get in that DVD copy you have sitting on the shelf? Seems to me its hitting you movie folks just the same as those who are more into music. We are all paying more for content that is either a duplicate of what we have just higher sample rates, more pixles etc....... if you cannot use um sort of matters doesn't it?
post #3569 of 3823
and the answer is.....

CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
LPCM 8-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
AC-3 8-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz
DTS 8-channel, 1536k max. bit rate at 44/48 kHz
SACD 6-channel at 44 kHz
DD+ 8-channel at 44/48 kHz
DTS-HD 8-channel, 16-bit at 44/48/88/96/176/192 kHz
DVD-A 8-channel at 48/96/192 kHz

based on my testing it appears this is accurate.

So if you bitstream say DTS 96/24 your best case is going to be 48 kHz to the dac.

Nice detail, but seems to be its a little off putting in terms of paying for higher rez content if my choice is to decode outside the Integra. The choice to buy it was to have the most powerful processing at the head unit end of the string.
post #3570 of 3823
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkatana View Post

Checked and double checked the manual. It does indeed call out 2 exceptions that you have to account for in the fine print. If you are using EQ or going to Zone 2 then DTS will be used....page 48. got it understood and agreed. Seems the processing power does not extend to a point where it can deal with both EQ and higher sample rates nor can the unit pump out higher rates to a second zone.
However..... page 45 of the manual states DTS 96/24 is supported on up to 5.1 channels with the above noted excpetion (*8) on page 48 tells you it will use DTS if you are using EQ or zone 2.
With EQ off I do indeed get the right read of the stream and front pannel display of DTS 96/24 and I still get a sample rate of 48khz. I assume this means that the incoming singnal is reclocked to a lower rate then fed to the DAC, as the sample rate is a report back of what is being sent to the DAC not what is coming in.
For those of you out there reading this I would love to know what I am doing wrong or what I missed in the fine print. For those who have this working I would love to hear from you
For the balance you may want to start to take a look at what is going with how your unit reads and or responds to incoming singnals. If like me you pay a premium for Hi rez FLAC or Multi Channel recordings it sort of matters to me what the unit is doing with them. You want all your more expensive Blue ray's down sampled to the same resolution you get in that DVD copy you have sitting on the shelf? Seems to me its hitting you movie folks just the same as those who are more into music. We are all paying more for content that is either a duplicate of what we have just higher sample rates, more pixles etc....... if you cannot use um sort of matters doesn't it?

And, IMO, turning off "EQ" - AUDYSSEY - is NOT an option. Listening to a lower sampling rate in a perfectly tuned room/system is far better experience than a higher rate in a "lumpy" room with sound-obscuring overhang and worsened surround/front integration and sub/mains integration.

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official Integra DHC-80.2 Pre/Pro Thread