or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 134

post #3991 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

It's been done on Sons of Anarchy from the beginning and I think it's caught on....

It's been done on so many shows for the past few years, that I'm sick of it. I guess it's easier just to buy the rights to a pop song that to pay an actual composer to write some music for the scene.
post #3992 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

It's been done on so many shows for the past few years, that I'm sick of it. I guess it's easier just to buy the rights to a pop song that to pay an actual composer to write some music for the scene.

On BSG, their outstanding composer Bear McCreary wrote all the music, including the montages, during its first 3 seasons. Of course, that was a sci-fi show set in what was essentially an alternate universe - you couldn't use pop songs. Yet, in order to make a connection between that universe and ours, they took an old Bob Dylan song "All Along the Watchtower" during the final season and played with the theme as a recurring motif that provided hints to the ultimate conclusion of the series. Like nearly everything else about that show, it was a brilliant move.
post #3993 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post

I've always found the musical montage to be a lazy cop out by writers. It bugs the crap out of me. biggrin.gif

I myself appreciate being introduced to some new to me musical material and I believe it does add to the feel of the show, especially when the right selection is made .. a few episodes ago when they used a Tom Waits piece at the end, it very much added depth .. another show that does this with good result is "Sons of Anarchy" ..
post #3994 of 6194
It might get old after a while, but so far I've thought its worked pretty well. Offers a nice perspective on what happened in the episode, at least for me.
post #3995 of 6194
The following I think has done it at the end of every episode so far

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
post #3996 of 6194
I was hugely disappointed with Stargate Universe, but the one good thing about it was introducing me to the song "Breathe" from the ending of one of the episodes.
post #3997 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

On BSG, their outstanding composer Bear McCreary wrote all the music, including the montages, during its first 3 seasons. Of course, that was a sci-fi show set in what was essentially an alternate universe - you couldn't use pop songs. Yet, in order to make a connection between that universe and ours, they took an old Bob Dylan song "All Along the Watchtower" during the final season and played with the theme as a recurring motif that provided hints to the ultimate conclusion of the series. Like nearly everything else about that show, it was a brilliant move.
I still get chills watching that piano scene with Starbuck. Awesome stuff. Speaking of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

It's been done on so many shows for the past few years, that I'm sick of it. I guess it's easier just to buy the rights to a pop song that to pay an actual composer to write some music for the scene.
You may want to check out Bear McCReary's blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/

Looks like he may be busy as he hasn't updated it recently, but he explains how he forms some of the themes on the show (like the Governor's theme) amongst others (like when Lori dies). It's always a great read/watch.
post #3998 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post


You may want to check out Bear McCReary's blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/

Looks like he may be busy as he hasn't updated it recently, but he explains how he forms some of the themes on the show (like the Governor's theme) amongst others (like when Lori dies). It's always a great read/watch.

Yeah, thanks for mentioning it... I forgot McCreary's the musical maestro behind this show as well!
post #3999 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post

SPOILER TAGS PLEASE!! biggrin.gif

At least I didn't spoiler that it was the zombies who invent time travel.

Wait...

oops!

smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I'm guessing you watched a lot of Fringe...

Among other similar shows, yes smile.gif
post #4000 of 6194
Merle!!! Man, this is brutal.
post #4001 of 6194
^^
Yeah. Wow. Didn't expect that one. Changed my view of him.
post #4002 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

Merle!!! Man, this is brutal.

+1, The Governor is a SAVAGE wild animal at this point.

Bitting the fingers off....eek.gif

Merle tried for redemption....

Rick finally comes back to his senses...

Michonne talks here way out of certain death...

Wedding bells in the Prison??
post #4003 of 6194
The Merle-Darryl scene was heart-wrenching. Awesome episode.
post #4004 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

The Merle-Darryl scene was heart-wrenching. Awesome episode.


Yes, agree. WOW.


DJoel
post #4005 of 6194
Best episode in quite awhile.
post #4006 of 6194
Best half-episode in quite awhile. The first 30 minutes were needlessly boring.
post #4007 of 6194
I haven't seen the episode yet. I hope it is better than last weeks, which was probably the worst of the season.
post #4008 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Damn it Merle, I was just enjoying you coming around. I should have seen it coming a mile away though, because yet again Michael Rooker got more good dialog this episode than he has all season and that is almost a guarantee the character will be dead by the end.

After last week's horror show (in more ways than one) the lack of Andrea was a bonus. I would trade her for Merle in second. Too few Daryl and Merle scenes and by the end of this one I was wishing there could have been more. Poor Daryl.
post #4009 of 6194
While I enjoyed the episode, what was with the wheels on Merle's ride changing? It had big 20+" chrome wheels in all the scenes, but in one where Merle was rolling it into the meeting site it had much smaller wheel with wire spokes.
post #4010 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

While I enjoyed the episode, what was with the wheels on Merle's ride changing? It had big 20+" chrome wheels in all the scenes, but in one where Merle was rolling it into the meeting site it had much smaller wheel with wire spokes.


I noticed that as well. Those were the stock wheels on a Caprice of that model.
post #4011 of 6194
I only wish Merle would have gotten a better piece of the Governor's, perhaps he shouldn't have been drinking? Also I would have climbed on top of the roof of those shacks, or those giant metal drums, something high up..just saying..


Djoel
post #4012 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Damn it Merle, I was just enjoying you coming around. I should have seen it coming a mile away though, because yet again Michael Rooker got more good dialog this episode than he has all season and that is almost a guarantee the character will be dead by the end.

After last week's horror show (in more ways than one) the lack of Andrea was a bonus. I would trade her for Merle in second. Too few Daryl and Merle scenes and by the end of this one I was wishing there could have been more. Poor Daryl.

Michonne must be a goner then, she was downright chatty in this episode. wink.gif
post #4013 of 6194
Anyone else think the picture quality was a lot better this week too?

They're setting up heavy on the love story with maggie and glen which probably means one of them is a goner next week

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
post #4014 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Michonne must be a goner then, she was downright chatty in this episode. wink.gif

Whoever gets a five minute monologue at the beginning of next week that isn't Rick or Daryl is probably zombie food.
post #4015 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yeah, thanks for mentioning it... I forgot McCreary's the musical maestro behind this show as well!
Bear also provided the excellent music for "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" series.
The guy is extremely talented!
post #4016 of 6194
Anyone else cringe at Glenn's method of ring shopping?
post #4017 of 6194
Rick's speech at the end of the episode served to make all his character has been through this season make sense. He emerged from his turmoils with an even clearer vision of who he is and what he stands for. As he said, he's "not the governor" and intends to lead by including everyone in the group in the decisions that have to be made. Very, very neat to see his character rediscover his sense of self and sense of goodness. It's too bad that (perhaps) the two characters that needed most to hear the speech (Michonne and Daryl) weren't there.
post #4018 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Anyone else cringe at Glenn's method of ring shopping?

nope... just cringed when I handed the lady my credit card when I bought my wife's...cool.gif
post #4019 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Anyone else cringe at Glenn's method of ring shopping?


Not at all, I thought it was pretty clever, let the ring walk up to you..
I'm thinking anyone she knows will be over joy about the rock he chose..Which is the reason you get them a ring anyway rolleyes.gif


Djoel
post #4020 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

While I enjoyed the episode, what was with the wheels on Merle's ride changing? It had big 20+" chrome wheels in all the scenes, but in one where Merle was rolling it into the meeting site it had much smaller wheel with wire spokes.

DAMMIT THIS SHOW IS GARBAGE NOW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD