or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 135

post #4021 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Anyone else cringe at Glenn's method of ring shopping?

He didn't exactly go to Jared's.biggrin.gif
post #4022 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

He didn't exactly go to Jared's.biggrin.gif

eek.gif

What a great episode though....really enjoyed it.
post #4023 of 6194
Great episode - will be interesting to see how the killing of Ben plays out with Tyreese and his fractured group.
post #4024 of 6194
I finally started watching this in my theater and while I watched on a slightly smaller screen last season from a foot or so further back last night I was really noticing the compression artifacts in several scenes. In the one where Merle is walking behind Michonne I could hardly make out his face it was so bad. When it switched to commercials all of those were quite crisp and clear (or as clear as any HD content will be). I know WD is shot in 16mm so it will be softer and grainy I just wasn’t expecting it to be that bad looking.

My provider is Directv, not sure if it’s different on other providers.

Great episode though, I just wish we didn’t have 7 months to wait for the next season after next week.
post #4025 of 6194
Well Merle finally redeemed himself for all the bad things he did, how many he took out? like 5 or 6? Well the governor got him, not a headshot, but it added the extra drama at the end with Darryl..

I can't wait for the season finale!
post #4026 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well Merle finally redeemed himself for all the bad things he did, how many he took out? like 5 or 6? Well the governor got him, not a headshot, but it added the extra drama at the end with Darryl..

I can't wait for the season finale!
In the preview The Gov says he killed 8. A slight insight into how demented the Gov is that he killed Merle with a body shot and not a headshot.
post #4027 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

He didn't exactly go to Jared's.biggrin.gif

"He Went to Jared's" - Should've been the name of the episode.
post #4028 of 6194
For the little bit of ring "shopping" we saw Glen do he sure came up with a good sized rock! And Maggie didn't bat an eye when he handed it to her. I expected a "Where'd you get THAT?" or some reaction.
post #4029 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromorris View Post

"He Went to Jared's" - Should've been the name of the episode.

He went to Jane's (Doe)
post #4030 of 6194
Awesome episode. I don't think I would want to get my ring that way though.
post #4031 of 6194
For as traditional as Glen was with the proposal, I was kinda surprised he didn't drop to one knee. I mean seriously, he could've at least put the ring in her champagne glass during dinner... rolleyes.gif
post #4032 of 6194
Wonder if they throw hot dogs at a chinese wedding.

We get a "supersized" season finale 65 minutes....cool.
post #4033 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Wonder if they throw hot dogs at a chinese wedding.

We get a "supersized" season finale 65 minutes....cool.

One more time, he's Korean!!! biggrin.gif
post #4034 of 6194
Also this epi was pretty awesome on the special affects, Merle chopping that zombi's face off, and Michone decapitating the other one was simply unseen on TV. eek.gif



Djoel
post #4035 of 6194
great episode..I do not think they will kill off the governor next week..they didnt advance that storyline at all this week especially what he plans on doing to andrea and milton..and we don't know where tyreese stands either..seems like a lot to fit in for 40 minutes next week..

and a note to production...can we PLEASE wait until all aircraft pass before filming an upward shot with 60% of the sky in view...
post #4036 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Awesome episode. I don't think I would want to get my ring that way though.

After what they've been through, I don't think it matters where the ring came from. They have seen and done much worse.
post #4037 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Also this epi was pretty awesome on the special affects, Merle chopping that zombi's face off, and Michone decapitating the other one was simply unseen on TV. eek.gif

Nah, Supernatural decapitated a vampire with a barbed wire garotte years ago. wink.gif
post #4038 of 6194
Pretty good episode. Really slow at first but ended well.

I perdict the Gov. will be around next season. I think the Gov. is going to attack the prison, all out assault and no one will be there, Rick's group will of decided to leave.
post #4039 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Since I don't watch any behind-the-scenes material it was only this episode that I realized the prison external is actually a set.

I never considered the placement before but for some reason this episode it dawned on me that a real prison would never have a treeline that close. To avoid events exactly like the sniper incident or one-eyed deviants watching the yard.
post #4040 of 6194
For some reason, I could accept most lapses in plot logic in previous episodes, but this one really disappointed me.

Although this is a brutal world, I expected Rick to have much higher morals than to make the initial decision to give up MIchonne. I also thought he was smart enough to realize that the Gov would renege on his promise, and smart enough to realize what an important resource Michonne is to the group.

Then, I expected Herschel and Daryl to protest much more, because Herschel especially is the moral compass of the group now.

Also, with Rick being so nutty recently, I wouldn't expect them to accept such an extreme decision from him.

PS I thought Glenn's ring shopping was darkly humorous, similar to HItchcock's macabre sense of humor.
post #4041 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Nah, Supernatural decapitated a vampire with a barbed wire garotte years ago. wink.gif

So did the American version of Being Human.
post #4042 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

For some reason, I could accept most lapses in plot logic in previous episodes, but this one really disappointed me.

Although this is a brutal world, I expected Rick to have much higher morals than to make the initial decision to give up MIchonne. I also thought he was smart enough to realize that the Gov would renege on his promise, and smart enough to realize what an important resource Michonne is to the group.

Then, I expected Herschel and Daryl to protest much more, because Herschel especially is the moral compass of the group now.

Also, with Rick being so nutty recently, I wouldn't expect them to accept such an extreme decision from him.

PS I thought Glenn's ring shopping was darkly humorous, similar to HItchcock's macabre sense of humor.

They are outnumbered and outgunned, they have children. Its not as easy a choice as you seem to think it is. Totally realistic that Rick would leap at the chance to have the group survive. Are you really so sure how you would act in the same situation? I'm not. Sacrificing oneself for the moral high ground is easy. Being responsible for others, esp. children who assume you will protect them complicates things.
post #4043 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

For some reason, I could accept most lapses in plot logic in previous episodes, but this one really disappointed me.

Although this is a brutal world, I expected Rick to have much higher morals than to make the initial decision to give up MIchonne. I also thought he was smart enough to realize that the Gov would renege on his promise, and smart enough to realize what an important resource Michonne is to the group.

Then, I expected Herschel and Daryl to protest much more, because Herschel especially is the moral compass of the group now.

Also, with Rick being so nutty recently, I wouldn't expect them to accept such an extreme decision from him.

PS I thought Glenn's ring shopping was darkly humorous, similar to HItchcock's macabre sense of humor.

Obviously, most of us have never been in such an extreme and desperate situation. With such bleak prospects, any sort of "hope" must be considered. Rick has said that the Governor is probably liying and will kill them anyway, but what if the offer is genuine? Even though Michonne is a valuable asset, the group has survived so far without her and they all know in the back of their minds that they are all living on borrowed time. As for Herschel, Rick asked hm what would he do to ensure the safetyof his daughters. Perhaps that's why he has not opposed the plan of turning over Michonne.

As for the "ring shopping," I guess this is the Zombiepocalypse's version of Internet shopping. You never have to leave home, the merchandise comes to you!
post #4044 of 6194
That scene with Daryl and his brother was intense. Poor Daryl. frown.gif
post #4045 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

For some reason, I could accept most lapses in plot logic in previous episodes, but this one really disappointed me.

Although this is a brutal world, I expected Rick to have much higher morals than to make the initial decision to give up MIchonne. I also thought he was smart enough to realize that the Gov would renege on his promise, and smart enough to realize what an important resource Michonne is to the group.

I agree, it was completely out of character and obvious that it wasn't going to happen. The entire series Rick has constantly been willing to run high-risk missions to save even a single person. Now we were supposed to believe he would do the exact opposite to his own people? The whole idea was ridiculous that he would even consider it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 
...but what if the offer is genuine? ...what would he do to ensure the safety...

Yeah, and the very next day after they turn over Michonne to be torture/killed, the Governor sends a message to turn over the infant or the prison will be attacked. Ooops!

What are they going to do, take him to court for breach of contract? Vote the Gov out of office? Rick's group had zero equity in the deal, and in fact, honoring their part of the bargain would only make the group weaker.
post #4046 of 6194
The Walking Dead Gives ’Em What They Want is a really fun piece by Bill Simmons on the Grantland site. I thought Simmons dismissive attitude about the talent of the actors on The Walking Dead missed the mark but most of it was well considered and very funny. Highly recommended! Actually, even Simmons', to me, misplaced criticism of Andrew Lincoln's performance in the negotiation scene with the Gov, was still Funny:
Quote:
Two Sundays ago, the Gov's former flame (Andrea, a former Rickette who had about 760 chances to kill the Gov and somehow blew all of them) brokered a sit-down between the Gov and Rick that became gripping for the bad acting more than anything else. Poor Guy Who Plays Rick. He just sucks. You know he's bad because he made The Governor look like Daniel Day-Lewis, and I think they hired him straight from a British porn set. Again, you don't watch this show for the acting.
Read the whole thing, it's fun.
post #4047 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The Walking Dead Gives ’Em What They Want is a really fun piece by Bill Simmons on the Grantland site. I thought Simmons dismissive attitude about the talent of the actors on The Walking Dead missed the mark but most of it was well considered and very funny. Highly recommended! Actually, even Simmons', to me, misplaced criticism of Andrew Lincoln's performance in the negotiation scene with the Gov, was still Funny:
Read the whole thing, it's fun.

Nice article and hit the nail on the head.
post #4048 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Nice article and hit the nail on the head.

Simmons is intelligent and funny but I really resented him for what he did after The Seattle Sonics NBA franchise was sold, moved by the new owners to OKC, and renamed the Thunder. For years after, in everything Simmons wrote about the team, he called them the "Oklahoma City Zombie Sonics." Fortunately, the success and popularity of the team finally forced the notoriously stubborn Simmons to give up his vendetta and start calling them the Thunder. All's well that ends well, I guess. Come to think of it, I guess that was sort of on topic.smile.gif
post #4049 of 6194
I disliked pretty much everything in that article. The guy is forcing these stupid jokes in almost every line. He says he likes the show but he's bashing EVERYTHING about the show. I was annoyed through the whole thing.

I did find this bit funny though:
Quote:
One other thing happened back at the prison: Near the end of the episode, The Poor Guy Who Plays Rick gave a speech to the group about how he needed to lean on others more (and stop over-leading). How uninspiring was it? Halfway through, AMC broke out some Rudy music to spruce it up. Didn't work. Rick finished the crappy speech, then walked off without letting anyone else weigh in. Again, I want to start leaning on you guys more. But before you have a chance to respond, I'm out of here. What an ass. I wish Carl would accidentally kill him already.


Edit: This is the first thing I've read from this person, so I have no basis, but being that I don't like 90% of this article. I probably wouldn't like anything else from him.

I was reading the comments on that article and this one was the first that stood out, and is right near my view:
Quote:
I really like your writing Simmons, but this write up was lack-luster. I'm not really sure why you put the acting in Lost so much higher than this show, though I do think several characters in Lost were superbly acted. My main issue is that you seem to miss the depth of the characters and the moral dilemmas they face in WD. Rick is a honorable man, though he has done some difficult and terrible things. His dilema is not that he has no spine, but that he is still struggling to be good and stay human. The governor does not need to protect the people, he needs the people to protect him, so he can continue to be a monster. I could go on. You say you like the show, but that seems questionable from the write-ups you've done. I'm not sure if you are just trying to be funny, which you are usually very successful at, or if you genuinely don't like the show. The article seems back handed, at best. I love how everyone is sticking up for how hot the actress is who plays Maggie. "I'm not fantasizing about someone I'll never meet that isn't smokin hot!" Gotta love cognitive dissonance in action. Just cheer up, Bill. GOT is back next week.
post #4050 of 6194
I thought the article was pretty hysterical, and described The Walking Dead pretty acurately. But he did leave out one thing in his zombie rules:

There have to be fairly long periods--often entire episodes, i.e. parlay-time with the Gov--where people sit around and have soulful conversations with each other, as if we really cared about any of the characters enough to care what they have to say.

They would probably claim this is for artistic reasons when it really probably has to do with padding out episodes with stuff that is easy and cheap to think up and film.

I stay with this series because it's filmed in the vicinity, not because I enjoy it particularly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD