or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 160

post #4771 of 6194
Maybe they don't want to be sued by someone else who's produced zombie content in the past. Like if the concept was somehow had a copyright.
post #4772 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Maybe they don't want to be sued by someone else who's produced zombie content in the past. Like if the concept was somehow had a copyright.

Original zombies were not dead.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #4773 of 6194
In this episode there are some advanced decay zombies laying around - like the one by the tent.

How are these zombies still alive with no functional internal organs - everything rotting inside.

They don't need a circulatory system?
post #4774 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

In this episode there are some advanced decay zombies laying around - like the one by the tent.

How are these zombies still alive with no functional internal organs - everything rotting inside.

They don't need a circulatory system?

No they don't they only need the brain, thus the reason a head chopped off still works.
post #4775 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Agreed. Am I the only one who is getting bored? I feel like we've already seen a variation of all that is happening (not the exact events, but the same theme), and I am craving something "new." How closely (or maybe I should say "loosely") is this following the comics?

Nope, you're not the only one. Substitute prison for farm and add in a dash of plague, then mix with usual character/plot stupidity and you have a recipe for boredom.

Agree with prior poster, this series is almost going on the DVR queue list instead of the watch every week one.
post #4776 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponrybush View Post

I don't know about you guys but i think TDog needs more screen time. They hardly ever show this guy in action. Ever since they arrived at the farm they show less and less of him. I almost even forgot his character until i saw him in the voting scene.9ebrkD
T-Dog died - think it was last season. He sacrificed himself so others could live.
post #4777 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

In this episode there are some advanced decay zombies laying around - like the one by the tent.

How are these zombies still alive with no functional internal organs - everything rotting inside.

They don't need a circulatory system?

No they don't they only need the brain, thus the reason a head chopped off still works.

I figured that was a bit like cutting the head off a snapping turtle, the head will still chomp for the long while. But it'll stop moving after a time when the energy stored in the local cells is depleted. I once cleaned a snapping turtle to make some soup and put the head on a fence pole and the heart in a jar of water and both chomped/pumped for about five hours. Something along those lines makes more sense than a body that's been decaying for months with thick moss growing on and no internals still being alive. If you say only the brain matters, then we should have seen a lot more live decayed walkers to this point. Remember the highway scene in season two. There were a lot of dead zombies in cars with intact brains. There have been lots of other scenes with whole dead as well, just crusty dried out.
post #4778 of 6194
Heck the first episode half zombie woman in the park followed that turtle analogy much more closely. She was dying - she just doesn't know it because she feels no pain, yet visibly much weaker the second time you see her.
post #4779 of 6194
Guys, it seems a bit pointless to argue how zombies function. You've already given up practicality when you accept that there are dead people coming back to life. To debate whether or not they need a circulatory system is a bit too late. If you like the show then go with the flow. As long as the creators are consistent in the fantasy world that they've conjured up, then they're doing their jobs. You don't always need a scientific, logical explanation of things...like Midi-Chlorians and the miracle birth of Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars...yikes!
post #4780 of 6194
They arent back to life though as mentioned above its like an autopilot.


There is a story to Anakin too:

"Thousands of years before his birth, Anakin Skywalker appeared as Darth Vader, the Sith Lord he would eventually become, to the Jedi Master Q'Anilia in a Force vision.

Around 42 BBY, the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis and his Sith apprentice Darth Sidious were able to shift the Force and tip it towards the dark side after months of intense meditation.

Plagueis, who sought to manipulate the midi-chlorians—the microscopic lifeforms that lived symbiotically within all living things and allowed those with sufficient numbers of midi-chlorians to touch the Force—and gain power over life and death, was able to resurrect the Bith Darth Venamis whom he had been using as a test subject for years using only the power of the Force.

Using his newfound power to heal his own body, Plagueis decided to take his powers further and reached out to the midi-chlorians across the galaxy in order to gain dominance over them, but the Force resisted his efforts and refused.

In response, the midi-chlorians acted of their own accord and conceived a child with the Human slave Shmi Skywalker."
post #4781 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Nope, you're not the only one. Substitute prison for farm and add in a dash of plague, then mix with usual character/plot stupidity and you have a recipe for boredom.

Agree with prior poster, this series is almost going on the DVR queue list instead of the watch every week one.


Yeah there needs to be a better sense of plot progression, rather than people going in circles -- though real life is probably like that.

Lost dropped all these hints about progressing to finally solving the mystery of the island but of course, in the end disappointed. Meanwhile, they would have these arcs like the Dharma Initiative and The Others which ultimately ended nowhere.

Maybe the radio signal is going to be along this vein, a hint towards the start of some resolution of this story. Or maybe they find another group like the Governor or the guys that Rick had to gun down at that bar, i.e. our worst enemies are other humans, not the walkers. If they did the latter, then it would be more going in circles since we've been down this path before.

Just depends on how much AMC and the producers want to keep things going. As long as the ratings are boffo, they have no economic incentive to plot out an end, like Lost did or Breaking BAd. But that would mean just a series of repetitive, disconnected adventures, like finding a safe harbor (farm, prison) or defeating another group of survivalists (governor) or surviving various other threats.
post #4782 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

They arent back to life though as mentioned above its like an autopilot.


There is a story to Anakin too:

"Thousands of years before his birth, Anakin Skywalker appeared as Darth Vader, the Sith Lord he would eventually become, to the Jedi Master Q'Anilia in a Force vision.

Around 42 BBY, the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis and his Sith apprentice Darth Sidious were able to shift the Force and tip it towards the dark side after months of intense meditation.

Plagueis, who sought to manipulate the midi-chlorians—the microscopic lifeforms that lived symbiotically within all living things and allowed those with sufficient numbers of midi-chlorians to touch the Force—and gain power over life and death, was able to resurrect the Bith Darth Venamis whom he had been using as a test subject for years using only the power of the Force.

Using his newfound power to heal his own body, Plagueis decided to take his powers further and reached out to the midi-chlorians across the galaxy in order to gain dominance over them, but the Force resisted his efforts and refused.

In response, the midi-chlorians acted of their own accord and conceived a child with the Human slave Shmi Skywalker."


Maybe it was just your super condensed description, but all of that sounded really lame. I'm glad I never read anything outside the movies. Sounds like someone else trying to come up with a story to mitigate against George's dumb concept. Plagueis, is a lame name too.

" resurrect the Bith Darth Venamis" was Bith a misspell? What the hell is a Bith?
post #4783 of 6194
Reminded me of the bible.
post #4784 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Heck the first episode half zombie woman in the park followed that turtle analogy much more closely. She was dying - she just doesn't know it because she feels no pain, yet visibly much weaker the second time you see her.

Remember last week's episode with the woman who kept her husband's head in the bag? She said something along the lines of the head not being as active because she hadn't fed it in a while. Based on that one would surmise that as long as the walker is eating it'll stay alive, even if it's just the head. I know that doesn't make sense in the reality of how a human body works (ie - a head separated from the rest of the body), but take it for what it's worth. It would also explain the half-woman in the park from season 1. She hadn't fed, so she was visibly decaying and weaker. I personally think it has everything to do with "feeding," but I could certainly be totally off base.
post #4785 of 6194
Brandon,

That lady who had the head was stark raving crazy. wink.gif
post #4786 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Yeah there needs to be a better sense of plot progression, rather than people going in circles -- though real life is probably like that.

Lost dropped all these hints about progressing to finally solving the mystery of the island but of course, in the end disappointed. Meanwhile, they would have these arcs like the Dharma Initiative and The Others which ultimately ended nowhere.

Lost was one of the biggest wastes of time that I spent with Television. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how I feel. I still get upset when someone mentions it, because it had such great potential. That is a topic for another thread though, of course. smile.gif

To add to your statement, I hope the radio signal brings more trouble than good, because it would at least advance the plot and keep the viewers entertained. We need more suspense, like in season 1. Or maybe the novelty has simply worn off...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Brandon,

That lady who had the head was stark raving crazy. wink.gif

LOL - that could very well be. biggrin.gif I could have sworn there had been mentioned somewhere (the show or the comics maybe?) that the walkers decay and actually do die if they don't feed.
post #4787 of 6194
Will the radio signal take them to a ship of survivors?
post #4788 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I figured that was a bit like cutting the head off a snapping turtle, the head will still chomp for the long while. But it'll stop moving after a time when the energy stored in the local cells is depleted. I once cleaned a snapping turtle to make some soup and put the head on a fence pole and the heart in a jar of water and both chomped/pumped for about five hours. Something along those lines makes more sense than a body that's been decaying for months with thick moss growing on and no internals still being alive. If you say only the brain matters, then we should have seen a lot more live decayed walkers to this point. Remember the highway scene in season two. There were a lot of dead zombies in cars with intact brains. There have been lots of other scenes with whole dead as well, just crusty dried out.

No they have established numerous times, the head keeps on chomping, eyes moving, mouth etc. Has nothing to do with stored up energy etc. They have showed heads that have been around a long time and still movied their mouths and eyes. Even the Gov. heads in the fish tank, once they got close to a person, they sprung to life and were very active trying to bite them.

The car scene in that season on the road, they said on the talking dead that it was brain trauma from hitting their heads, etc. that caused them not to turn.
post #4789 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Lost was one of the biggest wastes of time that I spent with Television. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how I feel. I still get upset when someone mentions it, because it had such great potential. That is a topic for another thread though, of course. smile.gif

To add to your statement, I hope the radio signal brings more trouble than good, because it would at least advance the plot and keep the viewers entertained. We need more suspense, like in season 1. Or maybe the novelty has simply worn off...
LOL - that could very well be. biggrin.gif I could have sworn there had been mentioned somewhere (the show or the comics maybe?) that the walkers decay and actually do die if they don't feed.

No, they have said that they are still flesh and bone so they decay over time. They have said numerous times that each season they are making them a little slower not because they are dying, but because they are decaying due to no circulation, time, etc. They eat the flesh out of instinct, their body is not processing it, thus the various scenes they have cut them open and could look at what they ate.
post #4790 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Remember last week's episode with the woman who kept her husband's head in the bag? She said something along the lines of the head not being as active because she hadn't fed it in a while. Based on that one would surmise that as long as the walker is eating it'll stay alive, even if it's just the head. I know that doesn't make sense in the reality of how a human body works (ie - a head separated from the rest of the body), but take it for what it's worth. It would also explain the half-woman in the park from season 1. She hadn't fed, so she was visibly decaying and weaker. I personally think it has everything to do with "feeding," but I could certainly be totally off base.

She was talking about having to feed it because she was crazy and thought it would keep him with her, the head was still moving in the bag. She was afraid if she didn't feed it he would perm. die because she was crazy, not because she was doing some scientific study.
post #4791 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

No they have established numerous times, the head keeps on chomping, eyes moving, mouth etc. Has nothing to do with stored up energy etc. They have showed heads that have been around a long time and still movied their mouths and eyes. Even the Gov. heads in the fish tank, once they got close to a person, they sprung to life and were very active trying to bite them.

The car scene in that season on the road, they said on the talking dead that it was brain trauma from hitting their heads, etc. that caused them not to turn.

That must be what I was recalling. So they continue to decay no matter what, regardless of whether they eat or not. That makes sense, as they are "dead."

Good point about the heads in the fish tanks, btw. I had forgotten about that.

I understand that the woman was crazy, but I thought there might actually be something to what she said. Probably not, though.
post #4792 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

She was afraid if she didn't feed it he would perm. die because she was crazy, not because she was doing some scientific study.

Are you sure? The way she almost looked like she was a zombie herself made me wonder if she was like that female anthropologist who became famous years ago studying gorillas in the mist!

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #4793 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Are you sure? The way she almost looked like she was a zombie herself made me wonder if she was like that female anthropologist who became famous years ago studying gorillas in the mist!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Weren't these the same 2 that Carl and Hershel ran into in this weeks ep?
post #4794 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnevar View Post

Weren't these the same 2 that Carl and Hershel ran into in this weeks ep?


I'm going to go take a look at that woman, because that could be her. But the head was just a head in a box or crate. That 2nd one was different as it was attached to the tree somehow, and it had a torso.


Edit: nope.
post #4795 of 6194
I noticed the radio signal was on the FM frequency Band .. Which means that even if it was comming from a super high powered / high antenna elevation station, it was probably being transmitted from no more than about a 20-50 air mile radius of the car..
If it were on the AM band .. it could have been from almost anywhere ....
Edited by MeatChicken - 10/30/13 at 1:36pm
post #4796 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I noticed the radio signal was on the FM frequency Band .. Which means that even if it was comming from a super high powered / high antenna elevation station, it was probably being transmitted from no more than about a 20-50 air mile radius of the car..
If it were on the AM band .. it could have been from almost anywhere ....

Probably Clear Channel Drive At 5...here's Van Halen...Jump.
post #4797 of 6194
What gets me about all the walking dead around the forest, and near by is the smell of rotten meat must be horrendous, and vile to say the least one would think you would smell them coming. I guess we/humans get use to anything, right after that disease that come from dead flesh moving about eek.gif


DJOel
post #4798 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Maybe it was just your super condensed description, but all of that sounded really lame. I'm glad I never read anything outside the movies. Sounds like someone else trying to come up with a story to mitigate against George's dumb concept. Plagueis, is a lame name too.
" resurrect the Bith Darth Venamis" was Bith a misspell? What the hell is a Bith?

You know Biths they were the Mos Eisley cantina band.
Obviously its condensed just wanted to show theres an entire Anakin/midi-chlorian backstory.
The EU really does add alot to what is an endless universe.

Plagueis would say whats a yrd. tongue.gif
post #4799 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

What gets me about all the walking dead around the forest, and near by is the smell of rotten meat must be horrendous, and vile to say the least one would think you would smell them coming. I guess we/humans get use to anything, right after that disease that come from dead flesh moving about eek.gif


DJOel

Maybe the process of rejuvenation prevents the smell? Why not? I remember an episode where Rick and Glenn smeared Walker guts all over themselves as camouflage, so there must be some smell. But as I've said previously, if the story gets bogged down on day to day survival routines and reactions, the pace will just screech to a halt. I don't think anyone would watch the show where every episode involves the throwing up whenever the walkers are near and going to find gas for the vehicles and opening cans of rations to make dinner.
Edited by hooked01 - 10/30/13 at 2:40pm
post #4800 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Are you sure? The way she almost looked like she was a zombie herself made me wonder if she was like that female anthropologist who became famous years ago studying gorillas in the mist!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes, that is why she wanted to be killed at the end by Rick, she said so she could be with him.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD