or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 183

post #5461 of 6194
There's no reason to want to kill off Rick in this series just to bring in new characters. Don't forget that a second series with different characters is in pre-production. Of course, if the actor gets sick of playing the part, that's different.
post #5462 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

If he couldn't shoot his father, how the heck would he have been able to shoot himself?
Sometimes it's easier to kill yourself than live with killing someone else.

Further, Carl knows the score. He's seen the suffering that occurs when someone is eaten alive. He may be impulsive, but he isn't stupid enough to let himself die that way if he has a choice.

Zombies don't bite you where you want them to. Baring his neck to a potential zombie Rick wouldn't make him bite him there. He would have latched on to the closest flesh and worked his way up, taking a good long time to consume the torso. There's no way the character of Carl wouldn't know that and be OK with dying that way. He's plenty of mercy killings to know that there are quicker and less painful ways to go.

Further, I highly doubt he has any desire to come back as a walker. What's he going to do? Stumble about with zombie dad, searching for live flesh to eat while "So Happy Together" plays in the background?
post #5463 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

If he couldn't shoot his father, how the heck would he have been able to shoot himself?

The Director stated that Carl turned his head to expose his neck so his turned father could bite him to end it because he gave up and didn't want to go on anymore.
post #5464 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The Director stated that Carl turned his head to expose his neck so his turned father could bite him to end it because he gave up and didn't want to go on anymore.
...and that's truly silly.

Zombies bite at whatever they get to first. In this case, his foot was that first thing.

A zombie isn't going to go "oh, look, he's presenting his throat to me - let me just mosey on up there and kill him quick..." Apparently the writers got confused and thought they were writing for a vampire show on the CW.

Carl has been around the block enough to know what it's like to die at the hands and teeth of a zombie. He may be a pain in the butt and a brat at times, but he's not naive enough to not realize how slow and painful his death would be had Rick really been coming to eat him foot first.

Actually, now that I think about it, with the quick about face Carl did from "I hate you, Dad, and I don't need you" to "I can't bear to go on" feels like they hired the writers from the Star Wars prequels.

"Oh, boo-hoo - the Jedi don't respect me. I'll show them by going all dark side..."
post #5465 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The Director stated that Carl turned his head to expose his neck so his turned father could bite him to end it because he gave up and didn't want to go on anymore.
A zombie isn't going to go "oh, look, he's presenting his throat to me - let me just mosey on up there and kill him quick..." Apparently the writers got confused and thought they were writing for a vampire show on the CW.

It's been shown over and over that a zombie always prefers the jugular. It's their favorite method of killing characters!

Sure, they'll nibble on a boot if they are in easy reach and can't get up, but for the discerning and motivated zombie they always go straight for the juicy neck area for maximum gore effect and chewy goodness.

Carl clearly knew this by watching past episodes.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Deaths_%28TV_Series%29
post #5466 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's been shown over and over that a zombie always prefers the jugular. It's their favorite method of killing characters!

Sure, they'll nibble on a boot if they are in easy reach and can't get up, but for the discerning and motivated zombie they always go straight for the juicy neck area for maximum gore effect and chewy goodness.

Carl clearly knew this by watching past episodes.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Deaths_%28TV_Series%29

Premise "Hate Carl"
Action: Observe anything Carl does and then dump on it.

Rinse and repeat.
post #5467 of 6194
Thread Starter 
post #5468 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's been shown over and over that a zombie always prefers the jugular. It's their favorite method of killing characters!

Sure, they'll nibble on a boot if they are in easy reach and can't get up, but for the discerning and motivated zombie they always go straight for the juicy neck area for maximum gore effect and chewy goodness.

Carl clearly knew this by watching past episodes.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Deaths_%28TV_Series%29

Um, clearly earlier in the very same episode, it was shown that isn't true. How else do you think he lost his shoe? heck, one of the most iconic moments of season one was half a woman zombie crawling through the park. She very likely died having her legs eaten off.

The reason most people get bitten in the neck area is because they are standing and the neck is the closest thing to bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Premise "Hate Carl"
Action: Observe anything Carl does and then dump on it.

Rinse and repeat.
Oh, please.

There's a reason people gripe about certain characters: because they suck most of the time. Andrea, Lori and Carl each have more moments of annoyance than any of the other characters combined.

Look, I would have said everything I said if the situation were reversed and it was Rick that gave up.
post #5469 of 6194
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Um, clearly earlier in the very same episode, it was shown that isn't true. How else do you think he lost his shoe?

As I said, "prefer the jugular" but will go for something else if it's in easy reach, but whenever a character needs to go out in full frame they always get their throat ripped out for prime blood pumping.

You need to get off this topic and start browsing some comedy forums to lighten up.
post #5470 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Um, clearly earlier in the very same episode, it was shown that isn't true. How else do you think he lost his shoe? heck, one of the most iconic moments of season one was half a woman zombie crawling through the park. She very likely died having her legs eaten off.

The reason most people get bitten in the neck area is because they are standing and the neck is the closest thing to bite.
Oh, please.

There's a reason people gripe about certain characters: because they suck most of the time. Andrea, Lori and Carl each have more moments of annoyance than any of the other characters combined.

Look, I would have said everything I said if the situation were reversed and it was Rick that gave up.

Just an FYI, If you watch the very first web episode they did, you will see how that crawling zombie came to be.
post #5471 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post


You need to get off this topic and start browsing some comedy forums to lighten up.
I just hate it when directors and show runners get all high and mighty about their art and symbolism when they had to do something silly to get there.

Here's my take on the Walking Dead:

I think of what would happen if this were simply a disease pandemic instead of a zombie outbreak. How would people act under those circumstances. How would those in charge assume and perform in leadership roles. How would people react to protect themselves when exposed to a dangerous person or situation.

That's what I expect out of a show like The Walking Dead when you swap the realistic scenario of a disease outbreak with the very much less likely chance of zombie apocalypse.

In other words, set some rules for the unreal, but keep the real world stuff real world. Too often, Carl ends up in situations where either he does something that even a kid in his situation wouldn't do or where those around him should have prevented him from doing.

It's not just Carl - it's just more than average for him. He's constantly in danger of being the next Wesley Crusher...or maybe Snarf, from Thundercats.
post #5472 of 6194
Your assumption is they are smart and will develop a civilized response. This show is clearly about the demise of civilization.
These are not smart people! They are average and less than average people from Georgia who are under increasing distress which furthers their inability to think.

It's so easy to play armchair quarterback when you have good meals and sit in your chair at home.

These people are not leaders they are reactors and obviously they are dying fast so Darwin is winning. Nobody wins on this show ever.
post #5473 of 6194
There's a danger, when watching scripted media, to critique them based on what we think some ideal character in that situation should have done. We say "someone in that position wouldn't do such and such" or "it should have been obvious that..."

Imagine how boring it would be if scripts really were written that way. Every character would be a superhero, and every script would just be an exercise in problem-solving.

The art is in showing is what that character "actually" does, in a way that is both consistent with what we've been shown about the character, and helps develop the character further.

Carl is an adolescent boy who's been under great stress for some time, who is badly scarred, who has as his role model a man who himself is confused about his role in the world and has demonstrated weakness and wrong-headedness about what's right, and who is intelligent, imaginative, and full of hormones.

I found his behavior in this episode consistent with what's been portrayed up to now; his reaction to the failures at the prison to be entirely understandable, his attempts to don the guise of manhood in his father's stead to be predictable based on what's gone before, and his ultimate understanding that it all means nothing without the context of his humanity -- which is still mostly defined by his relationship with his father -- to be both believable and welcome.

I thought the episode was good. The parallel journey of Michonne and Carl ultimately rejecting their false adaptations and accepting the human past that makes them who they are was clearly drawn and will hopefully resonate when we pick up their story again.

The series is about these characters, not about which end the zombie bites first.
post #5474 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

There's a danger, when watching scripted media, to critique them based on what we think some ideal character in that situation should have done. We say "someone in that position wouldn't do such and such" or "it should have been obvious that..."

Imagine how boring it would be if scripts really were written that way. Every character would be a superhero, and every script would just be an exercise in problem-solving.

The art is in showing is what that character "actually" does, in a way that is both consistent with what we've been shown about the character, and helps develop the character further.

Carl is an adolescent boy who's been under great stress for some time, who is badly scarred, who has as his role model a man who himself is confused about his role in the world and has demonstrated weakness and wrong-headedness about what's right, and who is intelligent, imaginative, and full of hormones.

I found his behavior in this episode consistent with what's been portrayed up to now; his reaction to the failures at the prison to be entirely understandable, his attempts to don the guise of manhood in his father's stead to be predictable based on what's gone before, and his ultimate understanding that it all means nothing without the context of his humanity -- which is still mostly defined by his relationship with his father -- to be both believable and welcome.

I thought the episode was good. The parallel journey of Michonne and Carl ultimately rejecting their false adaptations and accepting the human past that makes them who they are was clearly drawn and will hopefully resonate when we pick up their story again.

The series is about these characters, not about which end the zombie bites first.

I agree it is all about the characters and remove the walking dead, in reality since the Zombies only have their brain working and the heart pumps no blood they would be dried up beef jerky in 3-days under the hot Georgia Sun.
post #5475 of 6194
So far I've enjoyed both epi's more so this one than the last.. So glad to see Baby Judith alive, even though Lizzy almost snuffed her eek.gif


DJoel
post #5476 of 6194
Tyrese leaving the kids in the woods by themselves like that...what a horrible thing to do. No decent human being would do that, so I didn't like that they made his character do that. Otherwise I enjoyed this episode.
post #5477 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Tyrese leaving the kids in the woods by themselves like that...what a horrible thing to do. No decent human being would do that, so I didn't like that they made his character do that. Otherwise I enjoyed this episode.

Yeah he took way to long to get back, that was bad judgment on his part. I thought it was Penny all over again when the little girl ran off into the woods eek.gif


Dan
post #5478 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Yeah he took way to long to get back, that was bad judgment on his part. I thought it was Penny all over again when the little girl ran off into the woods eek.gif


Dan
He never should have left them in the first place, but that's just me. I get that they wanted it done that way so they could reveal the return of Carol, but being a parent, it was extremely frustrating to watch him try to justify leaving three children alone in the woods with a Walker encounter imminent. What an idiot! mad.gif

On a different note, boy is that Lizzy crazy or what!? I can't believe she almost suffocated baby Judith.

Again, this was an enjoyable episode. No show is without its flaws, but TWD is still at the top of my list for non-paid cable television programming.
post #5479 of 6194
I can almost bet this military people are just another form of "governorship".

There were a lot of close calls last night, glad everybody made it, can't wait for the reunion.
post #5480 of 6194
Did anyone else notice that Maggie has lost her southern accent?
post #5481 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Did anyone else notice that Maggie has lost her southern accent?
Funny you say that. At one point she says a line with that southern drawl. It surprised me a little. Probably because it's not been that present.
post #5482 of 6194
But she had one line where she completely over did the southern drawl and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I get the feeling this new military guy is just a rehash of the governor and once Rick catches up it will be the same power struggle as last season.
post #5483 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post

Funny you say that. At one point she says a line with that southern drawl. It surprised me a little. Probably because it's not been that present.

It seemed as if she was trying to do the southern drawl but reverted into her real British accent. As a southerner myself, it was jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

But she had one line where she completely over did the southern drawl and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I get the feeling this new military guy is just a rehash of the governor and once Rick catches up it will be the same power struggle as last season.

I do too, hopefully they can work together but I don't see it happening.
post #5484 of 6194
I guess in this world, resources are scarce, so another group is always a competitor for the food and other supplies that they'd scavenge?

Because they're not going to be able to farm fresh produce or grow livestock.

If the zombies don't kill them, processed junk food will.
post #5485 of 6194
Thread Starter 
For some reason the opening recap line of "he chopped a guy's head off with a sword" out of context made me laugh! It reminnded me of "I killed a guy with a trident!"

Nice to see I was correct when I predicted Carol would reappear holding the baby after the mid-season finale. I really wish the show would take a page out of Jusitified's handbook of unpredictability and just kill people dead with no need for big sequences or foreshadowing. Right now I would be happy to see Carol die. It would have been cool if Tyreese had just shot her in the head as soon as she appeared but I couldn't remember if Rick told him that Carol was the murderer from last year.

And Glenn. Smart enough to get tooled up in his best batsuit. Not smart enough to go around the zombies instead of just walking into the middle of them. Oh, that Glenn.biggrin.gif

Better than last week just because Carl wasn't in it. Even if the actor who plays Mika isn't that great I would still rather watch any of the kids in this episode than another with superbrat Carl.
post #5486 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Actually, now that I think about it, with the quick about face Carl did from "I hate you, Dad, and I don't need you" to "I can't bear to go on" feels like they hired the writers from the Star Wars prequels.

"Oh, boo-hoo - the Jedi don't respect me. I'll show them by going all dark side..."

Anakins love for padme really keyed his turn to the dark side thats why he tried to prevent mace from killing palpatine because he needed palps help to try & save padme so instead of anakins only hope flying out the window it was mace.

Also he didnt think the councils actions were jedi like anymore anyways like having obi ask him to spy on palps or mace trying to kill palps without a trial.

With all his pent up feelings of anger/loss + with palps always being like a comforting father figure + thinking only palps can save padme it made his switch to the dark side complete.
post #5487 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Anakins love for padme
Probably the least convincing "love story" I've ever seen in a movie.
post #5488 of 6194
Don't degrade this show by comparing it to star wars now.


I think Tyrese's decision to leave the kids was just a showcase on how poor a decision maker he is. Was probably the worst decision you could ever make.

Lizzy is probably my favorite character right now. She is such a creep, and they will spend so little time with her on the show.


There was a point when Maggie sounded aussie to me. That accent was definitely glossed over by the director this week.


Who is left that we haven't seen yet?
post #5489 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Probably the least convincing "love story" I've ever seen in a movie.

This...more then the Jar Jar and more then the Ewoks is why I'm happy that Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney. Maybe, just maybe we'll get the story that fans deserve. Of course they turn it over to the one guy that wrote probably the biggest plot hole in the history of movies. A ship travels back in time to get vengeance on the one guy that tried to save their planet...instead of going back in time to save their planet.

Back on topic

There certainly is some foreshadowing about Tyreese's arm wound.
post #5490 of 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

For some reason the opening recap line of "he chopped a guy's head off with a sword" out of context made me laugh! It reminnded me of "I killed a guy with a trident!"

Nice to see I was correct when I predicted Carol would reappear holding the baby after the mid-season finale. I really wish the show would take a page out of Jusitified's handbook of unpredictability and just kill people dead with no need for big sequences or foreshadowing. Right now I would be happy to see Carol die. It would have been cool if Tyreese had just shot her in the head as soon as she appeared but I couldn't remember if Rick told him that Carol was the murderer from last year.

And Glenn. Smart enough to get tooled up in his best batsuit. Not smart enough to go around the zombies instead of just walking into the middle of them. Oh, that Glenn.biggrin.gif

Better than last week just because Carl wasn't in it. Even if the actor who plays Mika isn't that great I would still rather watch any of the kids in this episode than another with superbrat Carl.

I just kept thinking how much energy Glenn was wasting doing the bull rush when there were way less on the side. I didn't even remember at the time he just got over being sick which makes it even more foolish.

I would have been happy if the 2 girls and a baby (almost an 80s movie title) had been eaten. Though it seems like they are using the oldest girl for a storyline from the comics with the evil look she had when she was smothering the cry baby. I feel like the problem with Carl last week was writing. The actor (and even the writing) as ok in the first half of the season, but much like Glenn this week the writers just went full on stupid. Even at his age Carl would have been smart enough to have a knife on him at all times and not go through bullets like Pez... mmm Pez.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "The Walking Dead" on AMC HD