or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › ***Working Man's DIY Dedicated Home Theater***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Working Man's DIY Dedicated Home Theater*** - Page 5

post #121 of 604
All this science is hurting my brain-region.
post #122 of 604
Thread Starter 
I finally cleaned up the perpetual mess upstairs and took a little vid. With the help of a couple local micro brews and some idle time I put some up and running footage. I used one of my new fav MP3s which is the Lara Croft Tomb Raider track. Lots of extension in this one if you have a system with a sub crank it and enjoy.




post #123 of 604
nice vid bro.
Are those fans in your rack blowing out? I want to do something like that.
post #124 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

nice vid bro.
Are those fans in your rack blowing out? I want to do something like that.

Thanks man just returned from the tube peeping out your theater too.

They're blowing out right now I'm pondering a better cooling solution though, it gets a little warm in there if I don't run the fan on the air handler constant while watching.

I may end up reversing them and push the hot air to the attic, not sure yet.

How'd that track sound on your twins?
post #125 of 604
O, I just sold those subs about two weeks ago. Im waiting on my new ones. Im keeping them somewhat of a secret.

dual 18s.
post #126 of 604
Still thinking about a possible rack solution in one of my side walls.
post #127 of 604
Hey big man,

I just made it through you thread. I must admit tho that it was the GF pic you posted in another thread that piqued my interest, and got me reading your thread. DOH!

You have a very nice space, well done my friend, well done. I'm following your REW stuff with great interest as I am rapidly approaching a point where I will have all of the construction done procuring and installing equipment and then I will have a lot of "free time" on my hands to endlessly tweak my setup.

Keep it up and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #128 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Still thinking about a possible rack solution in one of my side walls.


Hey Nezff,

The wall rack is the bomb especially if you can get it behind or out of line of sight of the screen! Here were/are the biggest hurdles of the wall rack.
  • rear access. I have a access hole which I turned into a dvd rack. Its relatively easy to crawl into attic, but not as easy as reaching behind a receiver on a rack in the room.
  • Cooling. I'm using 6 -120mm fans and even the Onko which is a hot stinky beast stays cool.
  • Outlets. I thought I had enough outlets etc. coming into the back, but I'm already close to maxed out.
post #129 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey big man,

I just made it through you thread. I must admit tho that it was the GF pic you posted in another thread that piqued my interest, and got me reading your thread. DOH!

You have a very nice space, well done my friend, well done. I'm following your REW stuff with great interest as I am rapidly approaching a point where I will have all of the construction done procuring and installing equipment and then I will have a lot of "free time" on my hands to endlessly tweak my setup.

Keep it up and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hello RT!

Thanks for taking the time to read this thing. I've slowed a bit but as you mentioned been mostly doing tweaking. I've been pulling my hair out this week with REW. I moved two of my subs back up to front wall. Ive been chasing a phase "problem" with the subs. After lots of questions on the Audyssey thread and some threads of my own its pretty obvious Audyssey does MUCH better with multiple subs when they both are very close to the same distance from the listener.

Anyways I'll post that up in a bit, but thanks for stopping by!
post #130 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post


Hey Nezff,

The wall rack is the bomb especially if you can get it behind or out of line of sight of the screen! Here were/are the biggest hurdles of the wall rack.

[*]rear access. I have a access hole which I turned into a dvd rack. Its relatively easy to crawl into attic, but not as easy as reaching behind a receiver on a rack in the room.[*]Cooling. I'm using 6 -120mm fans and even the Onko which is a hot stinky beast stays cool. [*]Outlets. I thought I had enough outlets etc. coming into the back, but I'm already close to maxed out.

The heat could be a problem. Im understanding hdmi cables can be run up to 45 feet. Speaker cables and rcas will definately be longer. I have a angled wall behind my inside walls so it would have to be more wide than tall.
post #131 of 604
Thread Starter 
post #132 of 604
Thread Starter 
Just to prove I'm not completely asleep behind the wheel..... I will shed a little light on a current project I'm working on.

I have been learning more about REW and how/what Audyssey does what it does. In this I have come to realize it is time to get serious about room treatments. I have put it off as long as I can really. I have a few treatments mostly remnants from the treatment I had in my old apartment. I need a lot more absorption all around probably at least two cases of OC 703.

Oh wait its Christmas and I'm broke! Well I've been designing a little project with diffusion that doesn't cost very much. Its time consuming and tedious but it keeps me busy and doesn't cost much.

I'm using tempered hardboard and 1x4s to make diffusors for some of the rear walls which are currently bare. These are 90/45/45 triangular diffusors. The triangles are 7" wide at base and 3.25" tall.These boxes are approx 2'x2' and cost less than $20 for two. I will probably stuff the triangles with polyfill or some fiberglass insulation I have laying around. Anyways here they are......


LL
post #133 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Just to prove I'm not completely asleep behind the wheel..... I will shed a little light on a current project I'm working on.

I have been learning more about REW and how/what Audyssey does what it does. In this I have come to realize it is time to get serious about room treatments. I have put it off as long as I can really. I have a few treatments mostly remnants from the treatment I had in my old apartment. I need a lot more absorption all around probably at least two cases of OC 703.

Oh wait its Christmas and I'm broke! Well I've been designing a little project with diffusion that doesn't cost very much. Its time consuming and tedious but it keeps me busy and doesn't cost much.

I'm using tempered hardboard and 1x4s to make diffusors for some of the rear walls which are currently bare. These are 90/45/45 triangular diffusors. The triangles are 7" wide at base and 3.25" tall.These boxes are approx 2'x2' and cost less than $20 for two. I will probably stuff the triangles with polyfill or some fiberglass insulation I have laying around. Anyways here they are......

That looks interesting. I know my room needs some of this stuff, I just don't know enough yet to successfully build/implement it, so I appreciate "Pioneers" such as yourself and the time you take to post and document it.

These remind me of the Hawaiian tiki statues with them stacked like that.

I will be following with great interest. Thank you.
post #134 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post


That looks interesting. I know my room needs some of this stuff, I just don't know enough yet to successfully build/implement it, so I appreciate "Pioneers" such as yourself and the time you take to post and document it.

These remind me of the Hawaiian tiki statues with them stacked like that.

I will be following with great interest. Thank you.

Hi btinindy!

Man its cool knowing someone is reading along and hopefully someone finds something useful in here....

Ive been told they are not absolutely perfect diffusers but guess what theyre better than my flat walls!

Im gonna build some more with long slotted panels too to break up walls as well as some more absorption panels on the way sir!
post #135 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post


Hi btinindy!

Man its cool knowing someone is reading along and hopefully someone finds something useful in here....

Ive been told they are not absolutely perfect diffusers but guess what theyre better than my flat walls!

Im gonna build some more with long slotted panels too to break up walls as well as some more absorption panels on the way sir!

Yes definitely. Sometimes post go unanswered so I wanted to to know someone is interested in what you are doing.

This is such a fun hobby. There are so many different ways to accomplish different goals that we all have for our spaces. It is fun to watch people experiment and share what they come up with, especially with DIY designs.

Keep up the good work and the sharing!
post #136 of 604
Hey wait a minute I'm interested too, and reading along!

Interesting modern art ya got there.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #137 of 604
Merry Xmas to everyone here!! These diffusers look very interesting - looking forward to the results...
post #138 of 604
nice work. looking good.
post #139 of 604
Thread Starter 
Woohoo put some black paint on my deco-fusers which is what ill call them....

One more coat and ill post some pics, they look pretty good if I MUST say so myself.....
post #140 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Just to prove I'm not completely asleep behind the wheel..... I will shed a little light on a current project I'm working on.

I have been learning more about REW and how/what Audyssey does what it does. In this I have come to realize it is time to get serious about room treatments. I have put it off as long as I can really. I have a few treatments mostly remnants from the treatment I had in my old apartment. I need a lot more absorption all around probably at least two cases of OC 703.

Oh wait its Christmas and I'm broke! Well I've been designing a little project with diffusion that doesn't cost very much. Its time consuming and tedious but it keeps me busy and doesn't cost much.

I'm using tempered hardboard and 1x4s to make diffusors for some of the rear walls which are currently bare. These are 90/45/45 triangular diffusors. The triangles are 7" wide at base and 3.25" tall.These boxes are approx 2'x2' and cost less than $20 for two. I will probably stuff the triangles with polyfill or some fiberglass insulation I have laying around. Anyways here they are......

It sounds like that will make the room sound a lot better. I imagine that this would decrease the directionality but what other goals do you have for the diffusers? I'm impressed with the work that you've done so far.

Also... Merry Christmas!!
post #141 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

It sounds like that will make the room sound a lot better. I imagine that this would decrease the directionality but what other goals do you have for the diffusers? I'm impressed with the work that you've done so far.

Also... Merry Christmas!!

Well you nailed it as far as the performance aspect. I want to use these to break up bare walls in the rear of the room between the the surrounds and listeners. I'm planning on adding a bunch more absorption down the road but this was a cheap way to entertain myself.

I haven't seen hardly ANY DIY diffusion projects, whats up with that?

OH, and they look COOL.
post #142 of 604
Looking cool is reason enough in my book. That they're functional is icing on the cake!

I imagine that the lack of DIY solutions stems from the math in planning them in the first place. I looked into making some Skyline style diffusers but tables the idea when I realized how much more complicated it was than gluing some wood blocks together...
post #143 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Looking cool is reason enough in my book. That they're functional is icing on the cake!

I imagine that the lack of DIY solutions stems from the math in planning them in the first place. I looked into making some Skyline style diffusers but tables the idea when I realized how much more complicated it was than gluing some wood blocks together...

Haha, I asked for some thoughts over in the acoustical treatments master thread. One of the resident Einsteins pointed me to a paper outlining how repeating triangular patterns weren't perfect diffusors.......

So I adopted my name of deco-fusers for this project as they look cool and diffuse sound although I'm sure not perfectly.
post #144 of 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post


Yes definitely. Sometimes post go unanswered so I wanted to to know someone is interested in what you are doing.

This is such a fun hobby. There are so many different ways to accomplish different goals that we all have for our spaces. It is fun to watch people experiment and share what they come up with, especially with DIY designs.

Keep up the good work and the sharing!

I know how you feel but yes people are interested in your progress, keep up the good work!
post #145 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444 View Post

I know how you feel but yes people are interested in your progress, keep up the good work!

Hi Expat444!

Thanks for stopping in... i just peeked your build really cool start and looks like you have quite a bit of room.
post #146 of 604
Thread Starter 
Did a little more finishing on the deco-fusers and I'm pretty much done with this set. No pics in the theater yet as I've got measurement gear strung about and I need to go to Lowes to buy some mounting hardware.

Here are a few full sunlight photos, the low light of my HT will mask my finishing probs...hehe








LL
LL
LL
post #147 of 604
They turned out great - nice job!!
post #148 of 604
Nice work big daddy
post #149 of 604
Been following along... Looking great!

Cory
post #150 of 604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

They turned out great - nice job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

Nice work big daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

Been following along... Looking great!

Cory

Thanks!

i'm thinking I want these behind the seating probably on the ceiling.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › ***Working Man's DIY Dedicated Home Theater***