2TB Hard Drive Transplant
Maybe too much detail for some, but I'm going under the assumption that there's not all that many 537s out there yet and things may have changed. And so ...
It begins ...
The Drive: Western Digital Green WD20EASRXSP
The Victim: Magnovox 537 (Mfg Date AUG 2012)
First off - the usual warning about breaking the warranty sticker on the back. Blah blah yada yada. I've seen posts where the mfg says it's ok to open the case so you can back up your drive before sending the Maggie in for repairs, and I have high hopes in case something goes totally fubar ... fingers crossed and proceed.
- Power down unit, remove plug from wall. (NOTE: Part of my upgrade tweaks may include swapping out the cheepo power cord for an AEC type. Something to consider if I get bored. An AEC socket does have provisions for fusing and tends to be better quality, not to mention easier to pull the machine from the cabinet for maintenance and whatever.)
- Remove top cover. Is it just me, or are there an awful lot of screws involved? Methinks the case is hurricane proof. There ARE a couple around the perimeter that don't need to be removed - just look for the cutouts in the cover.
The ribbon connector for the hard drive was hot glued to the top of the drive. My solution was to VERY CAREFULLY slide a single edge razor blade between the cable and the top of the drive and slowly rock it and push it thru the glue, keeping the edge of the blade against the drive and away from the cable surface. I tried sawing it off with dental floss (old trick for removing bumper strips and emblems from cars), but that didn't work. Anybody got a better way, be sure to post up so I don't get blamed when somebody hacks their ribbon to death.
- Dismount the OEM drive. There's three silver screws (with handy arrows pointing towards them) that hold the HDD mount to the circuit board. Remove these and carefully lift the drive still attached to the mount. Careful with the ribbon cable as it's still attached to the back of the drive.
- Remove the adapter board from the back of the drive. Just pull it off, BUT ... there IS a sticky foam pad on the side of the board away from the HDD sockets that might fight you a bit. You need to pry that side back a bit with a finger until the adhesive on the foam breaks loose from the back of the drive, then pull the board straight back off the drive connections. It's free! It's FREE!
For this experiment, I just found an old static sack from a motherboard, wrapped that around the bottom of the drive. and set it into the cavity left by the old drive. Plugged in the power/sata adapter board and hooked the Maggie back up to the video system.
- Power up. I also removed a DVD-RW that I'd left in the drive so as not to confuse things. The Maggie booted up, but I got an ERROR 48 when trying to access any of the HDD menu items. As expected. I did get a dOH! moment when I couldn't get a pic from the satellite. S-video cable goes to the IN socket on the Maggie, not the OUT, dummy!
- Ran the SKIP 079 procedure to check the physical wellness of the drive and got a screen full of OKs. So lucky me, I did manage to get that pesky cable off the drive without damage. Yahhh me.
- Powered down and back up, then hit the HDD button and recorded less than 10 seconds as recommended by the gurus in this thread. This initializes the HDD indexing and wahoo! ... got my first title in the list. Tried a couple more short shorts and those also showed in the index.
NOTE: I did NOT get any screen messages as noted in some posts when I made that first recording. Also, no shut down. Maybe a firmware change, or maybe I read it wrong. I hit record, ran 8 seconds, then stop. From there, hit the index, and there it was.
BAD NEWS? Even with everything working, the add timer screen still shows the same recording time as with the original 1tb drive. Drat? Or is this just an error in the firmware posting up an estimate based on the largest drive it was designed to work with? I suppose the only way to test this would be to fire it up recording continuously at the highest resolution and see where it rolls craps?
Not sure what I expect to accomplish here, but I'm also running the SKIP 013 procedure to further test the drive and maybe get more info. I did make sure there were no timed events in the recording schedule first, and good thing ... it's been running for over 40 minutes now and the summary screen is looking at me stoopid like with no posted results. If it's doing a sector by sector check, I can understand that it'd take some time, and once again have my fingers crossed there's no lockup issues. I'll post back with the results.
* Now that I think on it, I suppose I should have done that with the original drive so I could compare the results, but I believe SKIP 013 is a destructive procedure and would trash the movies I've already got stored there. So I didn't. So there. Shoot me already. With luck, somebody already has that info and can post back. From what I see, it's not gonna answer many questions anyway, other than that it works.
(And no, I haven't forgotten about posting up the header info when I'm done with this ... stay tuned ...)
UPDATE > > > The SKIP 013 HDD check routine finally finished up at a bit over two hours with a full screen of OKs ... was hoping for more detail, but we work with what we got. I'll leave things as is at least overnight and then swap the original drive back in until I'm ready to do the "jack in the back" thing for an external dock/duplicator. That will make the drive swapping and backup easy. Gotta get the 2tb drive out of there anyway to rip the requested header info. Anybody got any other experiments they'd like me to try, now's the time ...
Edited by NOSTRADIMWIT - 12/20/12 at 4:47pm