or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › The prepress system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The prepress system - Page 13

post #361 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Very good. smile.gif Congratulations on good seats and a good performance as well. How big was the auditorium? Not too big I guess, if they could get away with no mics. Unamplified acoustic instruments. Nice.
I saw McCoy Tyner back on 10/27, along with Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Grady Tate. Really good.

Seats 1,800 people, but it was designed with acoustics in mind. Sounds phenomenal.

Those are great names, and McCoy's playing is insane. It's always nice to see these guys play...
post #362 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

You can be sure that Thanos teaser at the end of Avengers will pick up in another movie. My first guess would be Thor 2, as the next Avengers might be too far away.

Well I will be definitley going to see whichever they bring out first and the rest in the movies, I never did with any of them apart from Avengers which I saw twice.
post #363 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Seats 1,800 people, but it was designed with acoustics in mind. Sounds phenomenal.
Those are great names, and McCoy's playing is insane. It's always nice to see these guys play...

Yes, it was my first time seeing McCoy Tyner. They did have to help him up and down the short staircase leading up to the stage, though.

The theater you saw Joshua Bell in sounds like a great place to hear music of many kinds. The sound may be worth going to see people you're less familiar with, even. Good sound can make up for lack of familiarity. As long as it's a type of music you like in general and the tickets aren't too steep.
post #364 of 709
You you guys are awesome for knowing about Thanos! Seeing that wicked grin during the credits for Avengers was absolutely spine-tingling...in a good way!
post #365 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You you guys are awesome for knowing about Thanos! Seeing that wicked grin during the credits for Avengers was absolutely spine-tingling...in a good way!

Someone mentioned that there was an Infinity Gauntlet on display during one scene in Thor. I suppose I'll have to watch Thor again to see if I can find it. While Jim Starlin wasn't my favorite artist, he ws the right guy to draw Thanos. I remember reading Captain Marvel and the battles those two had.
post #366 of 709
Thread Starter 
Just so you know how little progress I've made...



The setup is only slightly different. It's hard to see, but the top shelf on the left rack has only the Duo VP on it; the Oppo 83 is now inside the main cabinet. When I (finally) get around to it, I will move the Hooker console out and substitute my EFAV, seen partially to the left of the left speaker, in its place. I also have some 5" pillars to shorten each EFAB, as the shorter equipment will go on the outside racks and the EFAV will hold the taller stuff. Or if I really do keep the Hooker, the Duo will go inside (where the EDGE before it was) and the VPI SDS turntable conditioner (2nd shelf on the right rack) will go back in there as well. Then, one of the Furmans can go off to the new computer rack (another Sanus EFAB, seen partially at the bottom left and waiting to go) nearer the outlet.

Housekeeping hasn't been a priority with the events of the last two weeks, so excuse the mess.
post #367 of 709
How are you finding the Duo Charles? I wrote an email to DVDO asking if there will be anymore updates but they were not much help. I dont think Ken works with them anymore.
post #368 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

How are you finding the Duo Charles? I wrote an email to DVDO asking if there will be anymore updates but they were not much help. I dont think Ken works with them anymore.

The Duo has been good for my modest needs, as a hub and as a processor to help out low-res sources. The Lumagen would be a bit better, but is more money; the model I'd use (XS) has a MSRP of $1,999 vs. the Duo's $1,299 and is more complex to set up. You have a bona-fide home theater whereas I have a stereo with video attached.

As for Duo updates, I didn't do the very last one, as I have no 3D capability (or interest) here, so the passthru feature wouldn't mean anything to me. The CMS is nice to have, even though I've not really explored it much. The Lumagen XS would be part of an "ultimate fantasy" system if I were to put one together (the higher-end XD is $2,999 but doesn't do anything I need over the XS, that I know of). But the Duo works for everything my simple tastes require.
post #369 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Just so you know how little progress I've made...

The setup is only slightly different. It's hard to see, but the top shelf on the left rack has only the Duo VP on it; the Oppo 83 is now inside the main cabinet. When I (finally) get around to it, I will move the Hooker console out and substitute my EFAV, seen partially to the left of the left speaker, in its place. I also have some 5" pillars to shorten each EFAB, as the shorter equipment will go on the outside racks and the EFAV will hold the taller stuff. Or if I really do keep the Hooker, the Duo will go inside (where the EDGE before it was) and the VPI SDS turntable conditioner (2nd shelf on the right rack) will go back in there as well. Then, one of the Furmans can go off to the new computer rack (another Sanus EFAB, seen partially at the bottom left and waiting to go) nearer the outlet.
Housekeeping hasn't been a priority with the events of the last two weeks, so excuse the mess.

Charles, the setup looks great!

The Elite looks good,, I'm really happy with mine and it still is an incredible display even after all these years.

When you get a chance, can you upgrade your first page to reflect the latest addition, perhaps add this pic? Those Macs need to be in plain view, LOL...
post #370 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Charles, the setup looks great!
The Elite looks good,, I'm really happy with mine and it still is an incredible display even after all these years.
When you get a chance, can you upgrade your first page to reflect the latest addition, perhaps add this pic? Those Macs need to be in plain view, LOL...

I agree with Dan smile.gif
post #371 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Charles, the setup looks great!
The Elite looks good,, I'm really happy with mine and it still is an incredible display even after all these years.
When you get a chance, can you upgrade your first page to reflect the latest addition, perhaps add this pic? Those Macs need to be in plain view, LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree with Dan smile.gif

Actually, there is a photo in post 39 from the day they arrived that I could put up front which wouldn't do any damage as far as responses go, as no one quoted that post in its entirety. It may be odd from a continuity standpoint, as up until that post things are based on the B&Ks I had prior. On the other hand, it could be like the biblical book of Genesis, which gives a summary statement up front and then proceeds to detail the process. Or, update that post to reference #39. I'll think about this one. Meantime, I will go back and update the equipment list in post 39.
Edited by prepress - 11/17/12 at 3:18am
post #372 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Gentlemen:











And about 10 minutes after the install guys left, FedEx showed up:





I'm going to use the stock cords for a couple of days to get used to them, before swapping out for the Pangeas. If I don't hear an appreciable difference I'll send the Pangeas back and just get a longer cable to replace the one that's too short. Or just run it through the heavy-duty strip as I'm doing now, to get it to the LCR2400. More later.

Thus, the initial equipment list changes. The McIntosh MC501s replace the B&K M-200 Sonatas, and the Pangea power cords will replace the stock cords on the 501s.
525x525px-LL-829eba76_vbattach186565.jpeg
525x525px-LL-bfb46b28_vbattach186566.jpeg
525x525px-LL-a64a4de9_vbattach186567.jpeg
525x525px-LL-4abe413f_vbattach186569.jpeg

That's an awesome setup Charles. You have an amazing system, I love it.
post #373 of 709
Thread Starter 
Here's another one of the latest setup whilst I am again in straighten-up mode. That's my recycle basket on the lower right. Boy, does it get work!

post #374 of 709
You certainly have the gear Charles, top notch too.
post #375 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

You certainly have the gear Charles, top notch too.

It works for me to be sure, though I'm having a bit of trouble with my turntable at the moment. For video I'm pleased, as I don't have room or desire for anything fancy in here. Still thinking about a preamp replacement, though real-world concerns will likely shelve that for a while.
post #376 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Someone mentioned that there was an Infinity Gauntlet on display during one scene in Thor. I suppose I'll have to watch Thor again to see if I can find it. While Jim Starlin wasn't my favorite artist, he ws the right guy to draw Thanos. I remember reading Captain Marvel and the battles those two had.

The Infinity Gauntlet was shown in the trophy room during the first Ice Giant "theft" scene.

post #377 of 709
Thread Starter 

Aha. Of course, we're assuming that's what it is. Certainly looks like it. And, if a spoiler alert I saw means anything, the next Thor won't necessarily be where we see Thanos. It could well be the next Avengers. The next Thor, titled Thor: The Dark World, has to do with dark elves and battles in Asgard and perhaps everywhere else.

http://screenrant.com/thor-2-synopsis/all/1/
post #378 of 709
I'm looking forward to Thor 2.
post #379 of 709
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!
post #380 of 709
Same from me, happy turkey day prepress! biggrin.gif
post #381 of 709
Thread Starter 
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and let us be thankful for what we have, not getting caught up in what we don't have.
post #382 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and let us be thankful for what we have, not getting caught up in what we don't have.

+1 hope you enjoyed your day with family and friends smile.gif
post #383 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

+1 hope you enjoyed your day with family and friends smile.gif

Thanks, Franin. I didn't go anywhere or do anything special, though. I took some quiet time to reflect, and also watched some football. And bought way too many tortilla chips! I'm supposed to be giving those up.
post #384 of 709
Thread Starter 
Though it was a brief session, I actually heard a McIntosh C2300 preamp yesterday. It was feeding a pair of MC601s and fed by a MCD1100. The speakers were Adam Audio (I forget the model). I didn't pay much attention to the cabling but did notice some balanced Kimber (Hero?) sticking out the C2300's rear going to the amps. It looks nicer in person than the photos I've seen. And the alphanumeric display is green, not blue; they must photoshop all those photos I see, in which the display is blue. The 2300 was warm to the touch, but not hot. It should definitely have more room than my rack can give it. The stock tubes were installed.

The track I heard was by the Fairfield Four, an a cappella gospel group. I know not to invest too much in what I heard, but the voices sounded pretty realistic, with a nice touch of dynamics and detail. Overall, it was a bit more neutral-sounding than I'm used to. The last time I heard Adam Audio speakers (at my 501 audition) I was turned off by how bright they sounded. But this time, though different material and a different system, things weren't too bad. These particular speakers have a built-in sub, so the 601s were driving only the mids and highs.

Leaving the store, however, I began developing a bit of a headache. Could this have been due to the sound of the system, perhaps the speakers? I can't blame the 2300. So, the 2300 is back on my radar a bit, I suppose.
post #385 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Though it was a brief session, I actually heard a McIntosh C2300 preamp yesterday. It was feeding a pair of MC601s and fed by a MCD1100. The speakers were Adam Audio (I forget the model). I didn't pay much attention to the cabling but did notice some balanced Kimber (Hero?) sticking out the C2300's rear going to the amps. It looks nicer in person than the photos I've seen. And the alphanumeric display is green, not blue; they must photoshop all those photos I see, in which the display is blue. The 2300 was warm to the touch, but not hot. It should definitely have more room than my rack can give it. The stock tubes were installed.
The track I heard was by the Fairfield Four, an a cappella gospel group. I know not to invest too much in what I heard, but the voices sounded pretty realistic, with a nice touch of dynamics and detail. Overall, it was a bit more neutral-sounding than I'm used to. The last time I heard Adam Audio speakers (at my 501 audition) I was turned off by how bright they sounded. But this time, though different material and a different system, things weren't too bad. These particular speakers have a built-in sub, so the 601s were driving only the mids and highs.
Leaving the store, however, I began developing a bit of a headache. Could this have been due to the sound of the system, perhaps the speakers? I can't blame the 2300. So, the 2300 is back on my radar a bit, I suppose.

You can never go wrong with McIntosh. Too expensive over here in Australia.
post #386 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Though it was a brief session, I actually heard a McIntosh C2300 preamp yesterday. It was feeding a pair of MC601s and fed by a MCD1100. The speakers were Adam Audio (I forget the model). I didn't pay much attention to the cabling but did notice some balanced Kimber (Hero?) sticking out the C2300's rear going to the amps. It looks nicer in person than the photos I've seen. And the alphanumeric display is green, not blue; they must photoshop all those photos I see, in which the display is blue. The 2300 was warm to the touch, but not hot. It should definitely have more room than my rack can give it. The stock tubes were installed.
The track I heard was by the Fairfield Four, an a cappella gospel group. I know not to invest too much in what I heard, but the voices sounded pretty realistic, with a nice touch of dynamics and detail. Overall, it was a bit more neutral-sounding than I'm used to. The last time I heard Adam Audio speakers (at my 501 audition) I was turned off by how bright they sounded. But this time, though different material and a different system, things weren't too bad. These particular speakers have a built-in sub, so the 601s were driving only the mids and highs.
Leaving the store, however, I began developing a bit of a headache. Could this have been due to the sound of the system, perhaps the speakers? I can't blame the 2300. So, the 2300 is back on my radar a bit, I suppose.

I was in Atlanta last week and went into a Best Buy Magnolia store and was surprised to see they had a McIntosh Pre/Pro and amp set up with Martin Logan's. They were playing a beautiful jazz piece and it was so realistic. it was the first time I have heard the Mac's in person and all I can say is it was very impressive.
post #387 of 709
Thread Starter 
I have it on reliable authority that the C2300 does home theater well, also. You don't usually associate tubes with HT (I've never seen it), but I think this preamp could do music and HT equally well. The two Mac dealers I've spoken to don't have a C48 on display. Well, this isn't something I need to do anytime soon, so I'll take my time looking.
post #388 of 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

...I didn't go anywhere or do anything special, though. I took some quiet time to reflect...

Prepress, I am an introvert forced into temporary extroversion by loved ones around holiday times...and your Thanksgiving sounds like....Heaven!!!! If it were up to me, I'd liked to have spent the day off just watching movies and listening to music. I'm vegetarian, so I don't even consume the perfunctory avian segment of the Thanksgiving meal. biggrin.gif
post #389 of 709

Oh...my....goodness!!!!! cool.gifsmile.gif
post #390 of 709
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Prepress, I am an introvert forced into temporary extroversion by loved ones around holiday times...and your Thanksgiving sounds like....Heaven!!!! If it were up to me, I'd liked to have spent the day off just watching movies and listening to music. I'm vegetarian, so I don't even consume the perfunctory avian segment of the Thanksgiving meal. biggrin.gif

So you don't get sleepy like everyone else. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › The prepress system