or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Playing via HDMI off PC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Playing via HDMI off PC

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone,

I have been trying my hardest to get my audiophile surround files playing through to my new receiver. I have an HDMI cable coming from my ATI HD4870 graphics card, which supports up to 8 channel 24 bit 192kHz. I have been able to play DTS/DD DVD formats via Windows Media Player and DTS wav files via foobar2000 when I set for WASAPI and 16 bit (both work in multi-channel).

I want to especially play my MLP DVD-Audio files of 24bit 92kHz 5.1 sound, but so far have only achieved stereo via Winamp, VLC player, foobar2000, or WMP. When I try in foobar2k it says "stereo downmix", and when I check the settings for my HDMI in winamp->options->preferences->output->directsound output->speaker setup: stereo (unchangable). I would also like to play some of these that I have dl'ed as FLACs (I don't like converting audio due to inevitable loss of data on some level), and so far have not been able to play multi-channel in Winamp, WMP, VLC, foobar2000, XBMC - only outputs as stereo to my amp. I also have some AVCHD discs in multi-channel that I can play via TotalMedia Theatre 3 and get there quite well.

I have had great success with playing these through my analog 3.5mm jacks to my quad+sub sound system on my PC. I think the greatest setback is that I haven't figured out how to get my system giving multi-channel LPCM to my receiver - the only formats that have been getting there in multi-channel are either DTS or DD. If I hadn't already scoured the internet, I wouldn't be here. Thanks
post #2 of 12
Have you configured the HDMI device as a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration in the Windows speaker setup through the sound option under control panel (hint: click on the "configure" button once you get to the sound panel)?
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Have you configured the HDMI device as a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration in the Windows speaker setup through the sound option under control panel (hint: click on the "configure" button once you get to the sound panel)?

I can play multichannel flac via hdmi using J. River Media Center 15 or the Dharma xbmc build by setting audio output to WASAPI. Make sure you get the latest hdmi audio driver for your video card and use WASAPI or ASIO out.

You can rip your DVD audio discs to multichannel flac using DVD Extractor. Flac is lossless, and you lose nothing in the conversion from MLP.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
I'm in Windows 7 pro x64 if that makes any difference. I can't change much under my config for the HDMI except under "Advanced"->Default format (currently I have it set to "24 bit, 192000Hz (Studio Quality)). It shows the possible configurations under "Supported Formats"-> "Max Number of Channels: 8/HDCP: Supported/Bit Depths: 16-bit, 24-bit/Sample Rates:32.0kHz...192.0kHz/Encoded FormatsTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital".

I was just checking my receiver specs. and it can take Multi-ch Linear PCM 8ch 32-192kHz, 16/20/24bit, Bitstream DD, DTS, Dolby TruewHD, DD Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Res. Audio, DTS Express.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

I can play multichannel flac via hdmi using J. River Media Center 15 or the Dharma xbmc build by setting audio output to WASAPI. Make sure you get the latest hdmi audio driver for your video card and use WASAPI or ASIO out.

You can rip your DVD audio discs to multichannel flac using DVD Extractor. Flac is lossless, and you lose nothing in the conversion from MLP.

I also use HDMI for high-resolution multichannel PCM output from my PC. My comment was to make sure he has the basics right. I have seen a few people on AVS fail to properly configure their HDMI device in the speaker configuration option, thus causing the same issue mentioned here.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantQuasar View Post

I'm in Windows 7 pro x64 if that makes any difference. I can't change much under my config for the HDMI except under "Advanced"->Default format (currently I have it set to "24 bit, 192000Hz (Studio Quality)). It shows the possible configurations under "Supported Formats"-> "Max Number of Channels: 8/HDCP: Supported/Bit Depths: 16-bit, 24-bit/Sample Rates:32.0kHz...192.0kHz/Encoded FormatsTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital".

I was just checking my receiver specs. and it can take Multi-ch Linear PCM 8ch 32-192kHz, 16/20/24bit, Bitstream DD, DTS, Dolby TruewHD, DD Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Res. Audio, DTS Express.

O edited my post above while you were responding. I don't think you'll get MLP playback, but flac should work fine. Try the dharma beta of xbmc to get WASAPI output.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
I haven't tried the Dharma build, so I'll go ahead and install that - get back to you in a few mins. Thanks
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
OMG!!!! My bad, I was double clicking my HDMI output and I thought that automatically went into config. When I hit config I changed the setup to 5.1 from stereo. LOL thanks for the replies guys. I'll see if I can send the audio now.
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Have you configured the HDMI device as a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration in the Windows speaker setup through the sound option under control panel (hint: click on the "configure" button once you get to the sound panel)?

Thanks a bunch. Sending MLP 24 bit 96kHz 5.1 of the Beatles' Love. Sounds great. I assume all my other stuff will work as well, now. Funny when you think you've tried everything you miss one button or one option, then when someone points it out you feel so stupid for having gone through so much. Thanks again!
post #10 of 12
Can someone recommend what setting audio output should be set to ? Like distantquasar my Alienware x51 can do 16 or 24 bit and all the way up to 192 kHz via my Onkyo 708 receiver. Question is what will work the best?
post #11 of 12
Some receivers can't apply Audyssey if high bitrate audio (>96KHz) is sent. Check the receiver's manual to be sure. If you've run the Audyssey calibration, the sound is going to be better when Audyssey room correction is being applied.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrutikJr View Post

Can someone recommend what setting audio output should be set to ? Like distantquasar my Alienware x51 can do 16 or 24 bit and all the way up to 192 kHz via my Onkyo 708 receiver. Question is what will work the best?
Unless your computer is upsampling the original signal before sending it to your receiver, I don't think it would be wrong to set it to 192/24. I recommend using WASAPI to get as close to bitperfect audio as possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Playing via HDMI off PC