Originally Posted by Guinness77
Thanks, I will have to look into NRcontrol.
I've been watching the progress of this in another forum and it looks quite nice. My only issue with it is the lack of portability. I see little difference between sitting in front of the computer controlling an AVR and just going to the AVR itself.
Then again, I've been known to code or use the web while something is playing.
oRemote was an experiment that lead to something. I am an embedded SW programmer by trade, mostly working with C and C++ (C++ mostly for organization purposes).
I always kicked around the idea of doing an iOS app. After seeing the lack of one for my AVR in the iTunes store, I found something to try out. It took me about 4-5 weeks to get something that was reasonably ready for release. It would have went faster if I didn't have to learn all the new idiosyncracies and gotchas in iOS. Many evenings were just spending 4+ hours to solve one stupid problem. It's hard to search for a solution when you don't even know how to ask what's wrong.
Other evenings were spent conentrating on one new feature (like the picker wheel) and learning that.
The final product is pretty solid, I haven't had it crash on me for quite some time. It doesn't like it when the network disappears and it is made active - like when you put it to the background, go somewhere (like to work) and bring the app to the foreground. It wakes up, looks for the IP address of the AVR on the new network and exits.
The only issues now are translating the GUI into something functional for the iPhone/iPod touch. I'd really love for this to be universal, but that would exclude anything that cannot run 4.2. Right now I'm working on a 3.1.2 and up compatible iPhone/iPod version that will run on the original iPhone and iPod touch (wouldn't it be great taking one of those out of a drawer and repurposing it to be a remote?). The problem is, while the code that runs everything is pretty much the same, it causes some problems because 3.1.2 has some issues and some features are unsupported - like the faux VFD font.
Then typical fork problems happen: stuff fixed in the iPad version needs to be brought over to the modified iPhone files. I expected the iPhone version to be near-complete now, but these issues take their toll.
Note that for all the effort in making the iPad version, I am expecting rather poor sales of the app. I'd be greatly surprised if it went past "dozens".
The iPhone version, when complete may sell a hundred or so - over a year.
Now consider I picked up some Onkyo stuff just to play with so I can test features: iPod dock, HD Radio module, and recently an Onkyo BD-player (though I got that for $99, so I can't really complain aside from it's no different than sub-$100 players made by the same OEM, Funai). I even pushed forward a purchase of a 708 just to get the new net capabilities. Add more than 150 hours sunk into development, and you see I'll never get my costs back.
But it was still worth it for the experience.