or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple TV owners' thread. - Page 69

post #2041 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

NO, I was aiming at the fact that you had already asked this same question in another thread (and were answered this morning by another member) but were apparently too lazy to check that before you posted the question here....
I seriously don't understand how a 10+ year member posts like a frikkin' newbie...and then gets his shorts in a bunch when called out on it, but that's just me...
Thanks for your kind condeiscendence!
post #2042 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

NO, I was aiming at the fact that you had already asked this same question in another thread (and were answered this morning by another member) but were apparently too lazy to check that before you posted the question here....
I seriously don't understand how a 10+ year member posts like a frikkin' newbie...and then gets his shorts in a bunch when called out on it, but that's just me...

He's got a history and they're starting to remember.
post #2043 of 3001
I'm usually pretty good at finding the information I need before purchasing an item, but a few things about Apple TV have me stumped. I would greatly appreciate some input or a point in the right direction.

My wife and I each already have an iPhone and we plan to purchase an iPad next month, so I'm thinking an Apple TV would be perfect to meet the following needs:

1) send music to my home theater via native AirPlay in the Mog app on the iPad

If I understand correctly, no matter what I throw at the Apple TV, it will output 16bit/48Hz, right? I assume pretty much all of the music on Mog is 16bit/44.1Hz, but I'm not too concerned with bit perfect from an online streaming site. Aside from one unnecessary conversion, is there any quality loss with AirPlay?

2) send video to my home theater via native Airplay in the YouTube app on the iPad

First off all, does the Google YouTube app have AirPlay since the native Apply app is gone? And I'm sure bit rate varies wildly, but from what I can tell, YouTube videos are already 16bit/48Hz. Again, is there any quality loss with AirPlay? Can it handle 1080p YouTube videos? I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that it automatically selects the highest resolution -- is that accurate?

3) Netflix

It appears that Apple TV can handle SuperHD (although my Internet provider currently does not) and 5.1 DD+, correct? And I think the iPad app has native AirPlay already? Is that wireless? If my Apple TV is wired but the iPad is not, am I streaming Netflix wirelessly if I use AirPlay from the iPad? I don't think my wireless network can handle that. I guess (even after reading quite a bit) I'm still confused as to how AirPlay actually does what it does.

And a few miscellaneous things... Using AirPlay, is the iPad volume used or is it fixed and I can now use my home theater's volume? Can I stream to multiple AirPlay devices at the same time?

Thanks!!!
Edited by woody777 - 4/24/13 at 10:54pm
post #2044 of 3001
With Apple TV it comes loaded with Netflix. It will also stream it wirelessly from your iPad/iPhone. Netflix is 5.1DD. If you have hbo, the hbogo app is also 5.1DD. Pretty sure they are 1080p, but with streaming sometimes the picture quality gets fuzzy but usually comes right back. I think that is related to my network. There is also a YouTube app. With airplay there is a mirroring option that allows you to view anything on your idevices on your big screen. I have even played games while mirroring just because i could. Volume can be controlled from the idevices as well as your HT. I'm no expert on airplay and I've only had apple tv for a sort while. Also with hbogo you can stream something and still use your idevices to surf the web at the same time. Again I'm no expert at this, but I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Lastly, for $99 it's a steal IMO. That's a pic of the home screen.
post #2045 of 3001
Thanks pappaduke!

I think my main concern is that I'm getting high quality audio and video using AirPlay. I already have an HTPC in my home theater, so I can stream Mog and YouTube directly from their respective websites in the highest quality available. I'm basically looking at the Apple TV as a $99 remote control. It's an annoyance to reach for a mouse and keyboard to navigate Mog and YouTube. If my iPad and AirPlay basically become a remote control for Mog and YouTube on my tv, I would be in heaven. But I don't want to trade quality for convenience.
post #2046 of 3001
Your iPad/iPhones will be the remote with the Apple TV (you can even get an app for that from iTunes). You don't need to worry about Airplay from your iDevices with Netflix and YouTube since the apps are native to the Apple TV. As stated above, Netflix is Dolby Digital on the Apple TV, not Dolby Digital+.

Airplay will work with devices that are wireless and wired as long as they are on the same network.
post #2047 of 3001
That's a good point. I know what the Netflix app is capable of... what about the YouTube app? Does it play 1080p when the video is in 1080p? I have a YouTube app on my blu ray player and it is horribly crippled.
post #2048 of 3001
Hi all - not sure if this is an Apple TV question or not, but I believe it is. I've streamed Netflix on two Panasonic viera plasmas in our home for months with no issues. Recently added an Apple TV and Netflix works fine through that...but now it no longer seems to work through either of the TVs. Can't figure out why. It isn't the wireless, as Amazon Prime works fine on both TVS. But for the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong with Netflix or how the Apple TV would have impacted this.

All devices are corrected wirelessly, by the way.

Would appreciate any advice!
post #2049 of 3001
I copied and pasted this from flatpanelshd.com. Is this accurate? I can't find much discussion on the web about it.

"When using internet sources for watching video (such as YouTube) or listening to music (such as Pandora, Spotify or any internet radio service) something else happens when using AirPlay. When streaming from an internet source and pressing the AirPlay button on your iOS device, your AirPlay-enabled music system or Apple TV box will open a direct connection to the internet source. The AirPlay receiver (for example Apple TV, AirPort Express, or systems with built-in AirPlay) is being authorized to access the internet source and no streaming occurs between the iOS device and the AirPlay receiver, thus no loss of quality. The video or music quality is as good as the streaming service allows."

If this is true, then AirPlay (not mirroring) streams no quality loss and if your Apple TV is plugged in with an Ethernet cable, your wireless network quality doesn't much matter, correct? (I'm talking solely about Internet streaming, not content stored on an iOS device.)
post #2050 of 3001
Airplay, except mirroring of course, is not processed on the iDevice so it's kind of direct. If you have a Synology NAS they have a very neat Video app which sends videos directly to the ATV via AirPlay and to DLNA players via DLNA. Very neat.

Philip
post #2051 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Airplay, except mirroring of course, is not processed on the iDevice so it's kind of direct. If you have a Synology NAS they have a very neat Video app which sends videos directly to the ATV via AirPlay and to DLNA players via DLNA. Very neat.

Philip

That is cool. So, if using AirPlay (not mirroring), the only limitation to bit perfect playback is the Apple TV itself as the device can only output 16bit/48Hz, right?
post #2052 of 3001
One last (I think) question: If I have a receiver with HDMI, is there any reason to ever use an optical cable too? I keep reading different posts where people are using both HDMI and optical. It doesn't seem like it would be a quality thing as digital is digital, right? Why use both?
post #2053 of 3001
One reason, which is my case, is I don't have enough HDMI inputs on my receiver for all my devices so the ATV goes HDMI to one of the TV inputs and optical to the receiver so I still get lossy audio. If this isn't your issue then I can't think of another reason why to do it this way.
post #2054 of 3001
I was watching a movie on crackle and used airplay to stream to TV, it looked awful;(
post #2055 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

I was watching a movie on crackle and used airplay to stream to TV, it looked awful;(

That could be for any number of reasons. The quality I get streaming from my Synology is identical to that going to a Sony GTZv box, PCH-A400 or my ATV. You can always run into examples which work better under certain conditions. Doesn't say anything.
To be fair I am not into HD audio and such. That is, the ATV is not for those wanting perfect Blu-ray quality playback.

Philip
post #2056 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

One last (I think) question: If I have a receiver with HDMI, is there any reason to ever use an optical cable too? I keep reading different posts where people are using both HDMI and optical. It doesn't seem like it would be a quality thing as digital is digital, right? Why use both?

I used both HDMI and optical at one point, because I was using the ATV to send music to outside speakers from a second zone on my AVR. The AVR could not route an HDMI source to the second zone without having the main zone on, so optical was the solution to avoid having to turn on the main zone.

Mark
post #2057 of 3001
I recently bought an Apple TV to get older TV episodes I have missed. I am disappointed in the audio quality of a few of the titles I have bought recently. I download HD copies however the audio is only in stereo, and is not in Dolby Digital.

How can I tell what TV shows are in Dolby Digital and which ones are not BEFORE i buy them?

I did notice that some episodes display a Dolby Digital logo next to them on my Apple TV and some TV episodes do not. However this is not an accurate way to tell which TV episodes are in Dolby Digital. For instance I purchased a TV show "Vikings - Burial of the Dead" and it does not show the Dolby Digital logo next to the episode, however this episode does play with and contain a Dolby Digital track. So how can I tell whether or not a TV show truly has Dolby Digital or not before I purchase it?
post #2058 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I recently bought an Apple TV to get older TV episodes I have missed. I am disappointed in the audio quality of a few of the titles I have bought recently. I download HD copies however the audio is only in stereo, and is not in Dolby Digital.

How can I tell what TV shows are in Dolby Digital and which ones are not BEFORE i buy them?

I did notice that some episodes display a Dolby Digital logo next to them on my Apple TV and some TV episodes do not. However this is not an accurate way to tell which TV episodes are in Dolby Digital. For instance I purchased a TV show "Vikings - Burial of the Dead" and it does not show the Dolby Digital logo next to the episode, however this episode does play with and contain a Dolby Digital track. So how can I tell whether or not a TV show truly has Dolby Digital or not before I purchase it?

You basically answered your own question. You know it's in Dolby Digital if you see the logo. There will be some titles that don't have the logo but play in DD. It could be an issue with iTunes not being up to date. If in doubt, assume the title will not be in DD if you do not see the logo.

You can always adjust your receiver to decode the stereo signal as Dolby PLII Movie to get the surround effect.
post #2059 of 3001
Does anyone know with certainty if HBO GO is streamed in 720p or 1080p?
post #2060 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by salaseghs View Post

Does anyone know with certainty if HBO GO is streamed in 720p or 1080p?
Looking at the picture quality I would say 1080p and the sound is dd5.1
post #2061 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Looking at the picture quality I would say 1080p and the sound is dd5.1

That is my feeling as well.

ATV will soon get a new app/channel on the home screen, the CW.

The CW isn't great but it is the first network channel imbedded in the ATV and will only open the door for other channels as well. HBO GO is confirmed to be coming in the next few weeks as well.
post #2062 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by salaseghs View Post

That is my feeling as well.

ATV will soon get a new app/channel on the home screen, the CW.

The CW isn't great but it is the first network channel imbedded in the ATV and will only open the door for other channels as well. HBO GO is confirmed to be coming in the next few weeks as well.
I heard about the hbogo app but not the CW. Apple needs to step up to the plate and give ATV publicity. It's a great product but it needs some more Apple magic.
post #2063 of 3001
I have both an Apple TV and a pair of Rokus. They are both great and have thier advantages. IMHO, the issue (and only real negative) with the Apple TV is the small number of available channels -- which is pitiful compared to Roku. On the other hand, it does a great job mirorring with my iPhone and iPad. Apple TV also used to have a better interface but Roku recently updated and upgraded theirs, so now it's more equal.
post #2064 of 3001
Apple TV has less built-in content than the Roku, but with Airplay tons of content via enabled apps and on the web through Safari becomes available.
post #2065 of 3001
I afr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordcuttersblog View Post

Apple TV has less built-in content than the Roku, but with Airplay tons of content via enabled apps and on the web through Safari becomes available.

I agree and am lucky enough to be able to buy both. In fact my total cable cut portfolio is Roku, Apple TV, Mohu digital antenna wired to my cable nexus to the whole house and a PC running the PlayOn lifetime subscription. Now my big need (if anyone has any ideas) is how to bridge all of these into one remote channel and program selection interface. I can certainly get a universal remote to work with each source but I would like one that display all source and program option in a visual interface and does all the switching for me. Any ideas on a cheap solution there?
post #2066 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatham View Post

I afr
I agree and am lucky enough to be able to buy both. In fact my total cable cut portfolio is Roku, Apple TV, Mohu digital antenna wired to my cable nexus to the whole house and a PC running the PlayOn lifetime subscription. Now my big need (if anyone has any ideas) is how to bridge all of these into one remote channel and program selection interface. I can certainly get a universal remote to work with each source but I would like one that display all source and program option in a visual interface and does all the switching for me. Any ideas on a cheap solution there?

I don't know if this would work for you, but with iRule, you can open an app inside the iRule app, which may provide you with one interface (and controller), perhaps.

Mark
post #2067 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post

I have both an Apple TV and a pair of Rokus. They are both great and have thier advantages. IMHO, the issue (and only real negative) with the Apple TV is the small number of available channels -- which is pitiful compared to Roku. On the other hand, it does a great job mirorring with my iPhone and iPad. Apple TV also used to have a better interface but Roku recently updated and upgraded theirs, so now it's more equal.

The interface for the Roku only applies to the home. All my channels still use the old interface which kind of defeats the purpose. The Roku does have a lot of channels but most of them are of questionable value. It isn't clear how to improve on the ATV. Just opening it up would lead to chaos and a situation similar to cable with all those channels that just clutter up the guide. The ATV hardware seems to be even better than the Roku 3 which itself is far better than the Roku2. Airplay on the ATV really does open up the ATV. I personally would like to hide most of the channels the ATV comes with. I don't really like their latest layout. I got the Roku3 and two Roku2's for Plex, but I find the Sony GTV box to be far superior in that regard.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD
post #2068 of 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I personally would like to hide most of the channels the ATV comes with.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-tv-how-to-hide-unused-icons-from-the-main-screen?utm_source=macobserver&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss_everything
post #2069 of 3001
Plexconnect has landed!!biggrin.gif

Though all of my rooms are currently served by OS X HTPC's, Windows HTPC's, PCH's, or Boxee Boxes, I've given up on my Boxee Boxes and their continually painful issues. Think I'll pick up a latest-gen ATV tomorrow and see how it does!!
post #2070 of 3001
Need a little assistance, after spending about 3 hours online, I haven't found a definitive answer

I ordered a W4S udac today and want to use that to process music from my ATV3 to my stereo preamp (not an AVR a regular adcom pre). At the same time I want to be able to watch movies via the ATV and would like the sound to go through the DAC too. My system is only a two channel system.

option 1.

Hook the HDMI on the ATV3 to the TV and then optical from the TV to the DAC, then DAC to pre via normal interconnect, but will the sound be corrupted by the TV cheap DAC? Will the signal from the TV come out in 5.1 to the DAC? The DAC can only process 2 channel. The TV is a 2006 or 2007 Samsung LCD

option 2.

Hookup the ATV3 via HDMI to the TV and then also have an optical cable goto the DAC at the same time from the ATV3 and then have the DAC goto the PRE, and have the normal TV RCA interconnect to the pre. I would have to switch the pre to a different setting for music, but theoretically this seems to make sense.

What do you guys think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home