or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 50

post #1471 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnoreatmovies View Post

Conversions can result in great 3d, but the trick is filming with 3d in mind so you can take advantage of the depth in all of the scenes. Story is he guy who did this movie really wanted to do it in 3d and planned accordingly.

Indeed, I have yet to be convinced that a conversion can look as good as the real thing though.
post #1472 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Any word on whether hous of wax is region locked?
Unfortunately Beowulf is still not available in 3d on blu-ray. It is available via several streaming services. I should have mentioned that, it is more or less know my most anticipated uncatalogued release.

Region 1 on Amazon.
post #1473 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

.
The funny part is that if you go back to the first 3D in the 50s, it was all depth-based, with very little pop-out (basically, the same way JC did with Avatar).

I disagree that people "want to know they're watching 3D". While such people do exist (obviously), I think they're the minority. Like many other opinionated minorities, though, they're very vocal, which makes them seem far more numerous than they actually are. If you consider why the "average consumer" thinks that 3D is a failure, it's because they think it's a "gimmick", which perfectly describes the in-your-face pop-out experience that's brought to you courtesy of the '80s. The "gimmick" argument typically far outweighs the "it doesn't add anything" argument that the pop-out crowd likes to use when talking about depth-based 3D. I think depth-based "subtle" 3D very much adds to the experience.

Any time you're reminded that you're watching 3D, it pulls you out of the story, which IMO is a complete failure and the worst possible thing you can do. The best 3D (again, IMO) is the kind where you forget you're watching 3D. Not because it isn't there, but because it's so natural that it just pulls you in, and you become so immersed in the experience that it just is. You want 3D to bring your audience into the movie, not pull them out of it. Taking Prometheus as an example, I've heard from multiple people, who typically aren't fans of 3D, talking about how intense the movie was, even though they couldn't really explain why when they thought about it after the fact. It was because the 3D pulled them in, and it was so natural that they weren't even aware it was happening. That's successful 3D, right there, and it's clear that the movie is meant to be seen this way, despite people saying it "adds nothing" just because it doesn't have monsters jumping out at the audience.

Excellent post. This was one of the things about Prometheus that I liked when it came to 3D as well. Sure it didn't have any "in your face" scenes other than the table hologram, but many of the other scenes did a good job of depth and at no times did the picture suffer. It was as clean a 3D release as I've seen.

There is an IMAX title : "Under the Sea" which also does have some amazing pop-out scenes like the sea snakes and the cod fish, but it also has incredible depth. At any point you can just look at the background and if you have ever been diving before, looks exactly the same. You just get pulled into the scene. It's pretty amazing.
post #1474 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Indeed, I have yet to be convinced that a conversion can look as good as the real thing though.

I started watching Titanic, and the 3D conversion was actually very good. Iron Man 3 in 3D was a letdown. The 2D version has more pop. Madagascar 3 has my vote for the best application of 3D.
post #1475 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I started watching Titanic, and the 3D conversion was actually very good. Iron Man 3 in 3D was a letdown. The 2D version has more pop. Madagascar 3 has my vote for the best application of 3D.

Titanic is mind blowingly good, nothing looked converted but at the same time it never felt like the film was truly utilizing 3d as for obvious reasons it was framed for 2d.
post #1476 of 1877
Just saw Gravity in Imax 3D about 3 hours ago, what a superb movie. At times you see you are in space, 3D displayed beautifully. A must see movie people, go now.
post #1477 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by alipas View Post

Just saw Gravity in Imax 3D about 3 hours ago, what a superb movie. At times you see you are in space, 3D displayed beautifully. A must see movie people, go now.

Yeah this was pretty amazing! I am dying to bring this one home for 3D as well!
post #1478 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Yeah this was pretty amazing! I am dying to bring this one home for 3D as well!

It was Filmed in 2D as shown HERE - the IMAX 3D was Computer Generated
post #1479 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

It was Filmed in 2D as shown HERE - the IMAX 3D was Computer Generated

I really don't care if it is filmed in 2D or 3D as long as the result is good. It looked outstanding, so kudos to their post-production team
post #1480 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

[Gravity] was Filmed in 2D..
Yes, but it was also framed and shot specifically for conversion. This isn't a case where the studio just slapped a quickie conversion on it after they were done shooting. This is one of those (sadly, too rare) cases where the director wanted it to be 3D from the start, but didn't want to bother with 3D cameras on set, but still shot the movie as if he were using them. These are, IMO, the best conversions because they actually make use of 3D directly, and as intended.
post #1481 of 1877
Just got back from watching Gravity in IMAX 3D. Amazing film, spectacular in both story and in use of 3D. I'll definitely be buying it on Blu-ray 3D when it comes out but I can't imagine it will be as awe-inspiring as it was in IMAX. In fact, having seen it this way, I can't imagine enjoying the film to its fullest in anything less!
post #1482 of 1877
I totally agree with you, no matter how big our screens are, an IMAX screen is awesome.
post #1483 of 1877
I finally got to see Beowulf in 3D from start to finish via Netflix today. Even though some of the character movements seem a little stiff and a few of the CG models appear a bit waxy, the 3D experience is fantastic with very strong depth into the screen and lots of pikes, spears, arrows and other stuff poking out of the screen at you. It's a crime that this title still hasn't been announced for release on BluRay 3D. If you have Netflix and can stream in 3D you really should check this one out.
post #1484 of 1877
I saw Beowolf 3D on your suggestion Tony, it was very good 3D. On netflix it wasn't in the 3D category so I would never have known it was there and in 3D, how you come across this. Is there other 3D on netflix that's not on there category list?
post #1485 of 1877
Just saw Gravity in cinemas, can't wait to see this at home. Excellent film and excellent 3d. I assume the live action was converted but all the cgi was actually rendered in 3d. This really is a must see.
post #1486 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I finally got to see Beowulf in 3D from start to finish via Netflix today. Even though some of the character movements seem a little stiff and a few of the CG models appear a bit waxy, the 3D experience is fantastic with very strong depth into the screen and lots of pikes, spears, arrows and other stuff poking out of the screen at you. It's a crime that this title still hasn't been announced for release on BluRay 3D. If you have Netflix and can stream in 3D you really should check this one out.

How can you find it, it's not listed as 3D on their site?
post #1487 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

How can you find it, it's not listed as 3D on their site?


The listings on their site are pretty incomplete. It was one of their suggestions and when I selected it I noticed that it could be viewed in 3D.
post #1488 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Indeed, I have yet to be convinced that a conversion can look as good as the real thing though.

The amazing Spider-Man, Tron, and quite a few others that have been filmed in 3D look a lot less spectacular than stuff like Titanic, Avengers, Jurassic Park and others, that are conversions....
post #1489 of 1877
I think the 3D option is only available if your TV/BD player is on the Netflix list of approved devices. I have a 2013 3D tv and am not seeing the option on my end either. I guess I could use the 2D>3D conversion feature available on the set.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8739
post #1490 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post

The amazing Spider-Man, Tron, and quite a few others that have been filmed in 3D look a lot less spectacular than stuff like Titanic, Avengers, Jurassic Park and others, that are conversions....
True. Filming natively in 3D doesn't automatically make good 3D.

However, strong, well-made native 3D always trumps conversion.
post #1491 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post

The amazing Spider-Man, Tron, and quite a few others that have been filmed in 3D look a lot less spectacular than stuff like Titanic, Avengers, Jurassic Park and others, that are conversions....
True. Filming natively in 3D doesn't automatically make good 3D.

However, strong, well-made native 3D always trumps conversion.
post #1492 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

I think the 3D option is only available if your TV/BD player is on the Netflix list of approved devices. I have a 2013 3D tv and am not seeing the option on my end either. I guess I could use the 2D>3D conversion feature available on the set.

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8739

Unfortunately true.frown.gif

No Netflix 3D on my Roku, Sony 570 BRP or Panny 220 BRP.mad.gif

Ed
post #1493 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post

The amazing Spider-Man, Tron, and quite a few others that have been filmed in 3D look a lot less spectacular than stuff like Titanic, Avengers, Jurassic Park and others, that are conversions....

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Tron Legacy and Spider-man. True they showed minimal depth compared to Titanic and Avengers (I have yet to see Jurassic Park myself) but more depth doesn't to me necessarily equal better. Tron Legacy is one of the best 3d films in my mind and I think more depth with the visual style could easily have become more of a distraction then benefit for the film. Titanic is an amazing conversion and I can't fault it, Avengers does have some issues with the conversion though (most notably on some peoples faces though it has been a while since I last watched it).
post #1494 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Tron Legacy and Spider-man. True they showed minimal depth compared to Titanic and Avengers (I have yet to see Jurassic Park myself) but more depth doesn't to me necessarily equal better. Tron Legacy is one of the best 3d films in my mind and I think more depth with the visual style could easily have become more of a distraction then benefit for the film.

Tron Legacy is barely discernable as 3D at all. There are maybe five shots in the whole movie that are anything other than completely flat 2D.
post #1495 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Tron Legacy and Spider-man. True they showed minimal depth compared to Titanic and Avengers (I have yet to see Jurassic Park myself) but more depth doesn't to me necessarily equal better. Tron Legacy is one of the best 3d films in my mind and I think more depth with the visual style could easily have become more of a distraction then benefit for the film. Titanic is an amazing conversion and I can't fault it, Avengers does have some issues with the conversion though (most notably on some peoples faces though it has been a while since I last watched it).
Yeah, even Gravity had tons of little conversion flaws during CG-free scenes. And given how long the takes were and how steady the camera was, it was hard to not be distracted.

It's not like ALL native 3D outranks conversions, but being native definitely helps if it's shot creatively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Tron Legacy is barely discernable as 3D at all. There are maybe five shots in the whole movie that are anything other than completely flat 2D.
Tron's 3D was discernable to me most of the time. "Completely flat 2D" is a big exaggeration. It may have been slightly more subtle than better native live action 3D films, sure, but they're all a smidgen subtle to begin with, compared to IMAX documentaries and human vision.
Edited by cakefoo - 10/8/13 at 11:30am
post #1496 of 1877
I must be one of the few that absolutely loved Tron 3d. Maybe it was the whole being greater than the sum of its parts thing for me. Still one of my favorites.
post #1497 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

I must be one of the few that absolutely loved Tron 3d. Maybe it was the whole being greater than the sum of its parts thing for me. Still one of my favorites.

Same it may also change depending on what you are watching it on, in Imax and on a sizable front projector setup the 3d to me is spectacular. Also brightness is not a consideration to me (as my projector in 2d and 3d needs the iris clamped as it is far to bright otherwise) nor is crosstalk, which once again maybe that is casuing a difference in view. It is mostly a more subtle use which could mean the smaller the screen size the less evident it may be (just guessing here). I can see 3d throughout the entire film (of course excluding the 2d segments at the start and end). Then again I have also felt that several films have had to much depth to the point of at times distracting whereas some just want more depth. 3d is essentially a very new way of filming (which is funny to say because it has been around since the 50's but not like it has been in the last few years) so we are still learning about how to use 3d photography. Of course it will end up that some people like certain uses and others do not. I just do not agree that large amounts of depth = good 3d and vice versa.
post #1498 of 1877
Gravity was amazing all-around.

I have a few favorites depending on the audience:

Art of Flight 3D happens to be my favorite go-to when people want to see what 3D looks like but don't want to get involved in a story/movie.

Cod scene from Under the Sea for pop out effect.

Jurassic Park 3D or Avatar 3D for a movie.

Hubble 3D for the most entertaining subject matter almost anyone can enjoy.
post #1499 of 1877
Tuffluck where can I get a copy of the art of flight in 3D? Im not seeing it on Amazon.
post #1500 of 1877
It's on Netflix 3D, isn't it? I might have to check that one out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects