or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects - Page 31

post #901 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Screen size is unrelated to pop-out distance. We would need to know his viewing distance since 3D pops-out at a percentage of the distance between the screen and the viewer.
Display size absolutely matters, since it directly affects how far apart the separation physically is. Separation of 20mm on a larger display is a lot "deeper" than separation of 2mm in a YouTube window for the same content. How far you're having to physically rotate your eyeballs is what determines depth. The relative position of the elements within the image will be the same in relation to each other, but not to the viewer.
post #902 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

The absolute best 3D popout title by far is a 2002 documentary narrated by Walter Cronkite called S.O.S. Planet. There are multiple instances of objects sticking 5 to 6 feet plus out of the screen,it is pretty amazing. I have everything except Sammy's Adventure and nothing comes close to S.O.S. Planet.

how is the content? i usually enjoy most documentaries.
post #903 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by falafala View Post

This is exactly how I felt. The 3D is by far the best.
The story is absolutely horrendous. Even low budget studios routinely make engaging stories in TV but Sammy's is one bad taste in the mouth.
If only Pixar learnt how to make good 3D !
After watching Kingdom of Plants 3D, I may have to say Sammy's 3D is forgettable.

yea sammy isn't that good of a movie. madagascar3 i think is a better movie, and the 3d is good too.
Edited by blazed - 10/17/12 at 10:55pm
post #904 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Display size absolutely matters, since it directly affects how far apart the separation physically is. Separation of 20mm on a larger display is a lot "deeper" than separation of 2mm in a YouTube window for the same content. How far you're having to physically rotate your eyeballs is what determines depth. The relative position of the elements within the image will be the same in relation to each other, but not to the viewer.
Actually, image separation scales linearly with the change in height and width of the display. Therefore, display size has no direct affect on our perception of stereoscopic 3D proportions. The 3D proportions of a scene on a 65" screen from 5 feet away will be identical to the proportions of the same scene on a 13" display from 5 feet away. Viewing distance is the main variable because our interocular distance is constant and does not scale as we move closer or further away.

Try it out for yourself:
http://nzphoto.tripod.com/3d/315roundness.html

In the case of pop-out distance, an object might pop-out at 50% of the distance between the screen and the viewer. A viewer watching on a 65" display from 6 feet away would see the object sitting at 3 feet. Another viewer (with the same interocular distance) watching on a 13" display from 6 feet away would also see the object at 3 feet. Changing viewing distance to 10 feet away would result in the object appearing at 5 feet, regardless of display size.
Edited by BleedOrange11 - 10/14/12 at 11:29pm
post #905 of 1877
Well, scratch that. After typing all this, I realize that you guys are right. Display size, despite not having no effect on 3D proportions, does change pop-out distance. An image that is larger will pop-out of the screen further. Thanks for the correction.

So we would need to know his display size and viewing distance.
Edited by BleedOrange11 - 10/14/12 at 11:53pm
post #906 of 1877
I dont know about all the science behind display size, viewing distance etc. my screen is 108", viewing distance is about 12'. There are parts in Sammy's adventure where some objects are within a food of my seat. Pretty cool.cool.gif
post #907 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

So we would need to know his display size and viewing distance.
AND viewing distance, definitely. You weren't wrong about that, but it's not the only part of the equation. smile.gif

Oddly enough, I've been enjoying 3D a bit more now that I've backed up a couple feet (22" monitor). I don't think it's any "deeper" per se, but everything just snaps together better since my viewing angle is more head-on.
post #908 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

...some objects are within a food of my seat.
Might want to clean that up before your wife gets home. lol
post #909 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I own Journey 1 and 2 and in my opinion both have very good 3D implementations both in regard to depth and pop. Both movies were also natively shot in 3D.
There's a thread for Journey 2 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1411741/journey-2-the-mysterious-island

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka702 View Post

Totally different because one is cgi and one is live action it is a good movie though with some of the best live action 3d available.

Yep, you're right.

I've ordered it together with Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story 3 (both also in 3D) biggrin.gif and I can't wait to get home and watch them. This will have to wait though, 'cause now I'm visiting some relatives in another country. I'm also thinking of ordering Up in 3D, since I found it here to be very cheap, but haven't found any reviews on the web for it. Anyone can share any info regarding the 3D quality of this movie?
post #910 of 1877
Is this thread bout: "Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects"?!?!
Or, viewing distance???

============

I'm a BIG fan of "Creature from the Black Lagoon"; none the less the minuet 3D detail is the best I've seen.
Instead of fakey effects, tracks in the sand, scrapes in the mud, belt buckles, hair, & underwater scenes all have the lOOk of natural depth. "Real" Good!
And it contains the '50's shock 3D stuff, like the claw, as well.
[which is representative of the depth I remember in the theater in the '70's]

For reference, I had just watchED "Prometheus", so it's not like I haven't been watching resent 3D incarnations/releases as well.
post #911 of 1877
For anyone looking for a easy / cheap way to watch sammy's adventures all you have to do is open up a vudu account. You get a $5.99 credit and I think it ended up costing me $12
post #912 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

hi, im to all this 3d stuff but hv been watching some fun 3d doc on 3net from direct tv. i just rented the avengers from direct tv and it was a not what i thought a 3d movie shd like. save your money and just get the reg blu ray if you need to watch this movie.

Dude, no wonder you didn't like the 3D quality of The Avengers.
Your watching a freaking tv channel!
The movie on blu-ray disc has much better picture quality.
post #913 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhill View Post

For anyone looking for a easy / cheap way to watch sammy's adventures all you have to do is open up a vudu account. You get a $5.99 credit and I think it ended up costing me $12

Cool, how does VUDU do 3D SBS, top/bottom?
post #914 of 1877
I've noticed on some things like video games that I had to switch it to side by side for 3d to work. On Vudu my tv didn't make me adjust anything similar to when I watch a 3d blu ray. Sorry I can't be of more help
post #915 of 1877
To the OP's question: Avatar


I have watched many 3D titles but Avatar tops em all. That's just my opinion.
post #916 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhill View Post

For anyone looking for a easy / cheap way to watch sammy's adventures all you have to do is open up a vudu account. You get a $5.99 credit and I think it ended up costing me $12

Thanks for this. It works well on my PS3. Didn't really sit and watch it yet but testing it my 5 year old son was glued to the screen.
post #917 of 1877
Your welcome, my lil 5yr old sister actually watched the whole movie. The story isn't the greatest, but it is the first 3d movie in a while that she actually sat through. If you haven't already Madagascar 3 3d is very good in 3d also
post #918 of 1877
I plan on watching a few more movies this weekend.

Lion King 3D and Tron 3D.
So far, Prometheus and Immortals were a nice treat, but still looking for that pop-out effect.
post #919 of 1877
You know, I really like the Lion King on my setup. Sure it's cartoon, and a converted one at that. But there are a few scenes that are really well done. cool.gif
post #920 of 1877
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted has a really nice 3D presentation with plenty of depth and lots of stuff flying out of the screen. For anyone looking for a showcase video, this really embraces the more aggressive (what some would call gimmicky) aspects of 3D. Lots of demo material in this one.
post #921 of 1877


That's it, i have 15 3D movies, this beats all for near-perfect 3D rendering. And no wonder, since
it was shot in native 3D.

Second best is "Under the Sea".

PS3>HC9000D>Carada Brill White 110"
post #922 of 1877
Gotta agree that Prometheus has the best 3D, even including Avatar and Hugo. Now lets have a movie with great story, acting, and 3D. Hobbit?
post #923 of 1877
Great to hear that, can't wait to see the movie! Now, regarding the latest releases, has anyone seen Ice Age Continental Drift or Step-Up or Finding Nemo and could comment regarding the video/3D quality?

LE: I've just watched Beauty and the Beast in 3D and wooow! Couldn't believe my eyes! Really great 3D considering it's such an old cartoon. Impressing depth, objects are very well delimited from the background. I've also watched Lion King in the past, but that't not even close to this one in terms of 3D. Makes the movie even greater!
Edited by alexuts2oo4 - 12/9/12 at 3:24pm
post #924 of 1877
We just watched Journey 2 and it was a good family/kids movie with OUTSTANDING 3D! JMHO

Ed
post #925 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

Great to hear that, can't wait to see the movie! Now, regarding the latest releases, has anyone seen Ice Age Continental Drift or Step-Up or Finding Nemo and could comment regarding the video/3D quality?
LE: I've just watched Beauty and the Beast in 3D and wooow! Couldn't believe my eyes! Really great 3D considering it's such an old cartoon. Impressing depth, objects are very well delimited from the background. I've also watched LionKing in the past, but that't not even close to this one in terms of 3D. Makes the movie even greater!
All 3 are excellent especially the 2 animated.
post #926 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

All 3 are excellent especially the 2 animated.
Thanks for the reply and can't wait to see them biggrin.gif. Also waiting for a the release and the review of Resident Evil Retribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

We just watched Journey 2 and it was a good family/kids movie with OUTSTANDING 3D! JMHO
Ed
+1 to that. I've also found the 3D in this movie excellent, lots of depth, amazing clarity and details and many pop-out effects.

I've also seen Madagascar 3 and I think it's 3D demo material. Lots of pop-out effects, and not gimmicks .. I think the movie was specially made for 3D, the snouts of animals come out of the screen, also the hat of the inspector and much, much more. Also dept is consistent and very good.
post #927 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexuts2oo4 View Post

Thanks for the reply and can't wait to see them biggrin.gif. Also waiting for a the release and the review of Resident Evil Retribution.
+1 to that. I've also found the 3D in this movie excellent, lots of depth, amazing clarity and details and many pop-out effects.
I've also seen Madagascar 3 and I think it's 3D demo material. Lots of pop-out effects, and not gimmicks .. I think the movie was specially made for 3D, the snouts of animals come out of the screen, also the hat of the inspector and much, much more. Also dept is consistent and very good.

My turn to give you a +1!. Madagascar 3 was the best animated 3D I've seen and I've watched almost all of them---OLD kid here, lol. Lots of fun 3D!smile.gif

Ed
post #928 of 1877
I'll post it here since I'm not getting any hits on my thread.

Never even heard of it, but there it was at fry's so I picked it up.
Jet Li's Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1355347218&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=dragons+gate

This movie should earn an award for 3D artistry. You sometimes hear reviews of action movies talking about "swords in your face". Well that comment is an insult to this movie. This movie has shattered sword pieces in your face, and every weapon and particle you can imagine. There is a scene with a brownish sky and storm cloud and the natural depth is so amazing. With the thick of it coming out of the screen and the depth reaching so deep. Never saw a better 3d "sky" before. There is a scene where Jet Li is fighting on a ship and they are cutting ropes and rope peices are flying all over the place, toward you, deeper into the screen, everywhere.

I can tell whoever did this movie loves 3D. They took so much effort to make sure just about every scene had the most pop out AND depth into the screen. To be honest with you it's almost too much. But if you want to KNOW you are watching 3D, without having to lift up your glasses to see the difference. THIS is the movie for you. If this is a sign of future martial arts epics I will be keeping an eye on these types of movies in the future. Just one more example, a scene in a temple just outside, there are just the tips of tree branches sticking out on 3 separate corners of the screen JUST to add an extra look to that scene. It's not only bombarding you with incredible depth almost every scene, but there is hardly any ghosting what so ever.

It's a great 3D demo movie I'd put up there with Avatar, Under the Sea, and the last 30 minutes of Avengers. Definitely check it out if you want to see some amazing 3D. The action is great, but the story is convoluted and hard to follow, but it's really amazing "3d cinematography" if you ask me.
post #929 of 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrowyn View Post

I'll post it here since I'm not getting any hits on my thread.
Never even heard of it, but there it was at fry's so I picked it up.
Jet Li's Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1355347218&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=dragons+gate
This movie should earn an award for 3D artistry. You sometimes hear reviews of action movies talking about "swords in your face". Well that comment is an insult to this movie. This movie has shattered sword pieces in your face, and every weapon and particle you can imagine. There is a scene with a brownish sky and storm cloud and the natural depth is so amazing. With the thick of it coming out of the screen and the depth reaching so deep. Never saw a better 3d "sky" before. There is a scene where Jet Li is fighting on a ship and they are cutting ropes and rope peices are flying all over the place, toward you, deeper into the screen, everywhere.
I can tell whoever did this movie loves 3D. They took so much effort to make sure just about every scene had the most pop out AND depth into the screen. To be honest with you it's almost too much. But if you want to KNOW you are watching 3D, without having to lift up your glasses to see the difference. THIS is the movie for you. If this is a sign of future martial arts epics I will be keeping an eye on these types of movies in the future. Just one more example, a scene in a temple just outside, there are just the tips of tree branches sticking out on 3 separate corners of the screen JUST to add an extra look to that scene. It's not only bombarding you with incredible depth almost every scene, but there is hardly any ghosting what so ever.
It's a great 3D demo movie I'd put up there with Avatar, Under the Sea, and the last 30 minutes of Avengers. Definitely check it out if you want to see some amazing 3D. The action is great, but the story is convoluted and hard to follow, but it's really amazing "3d cinematography" if you ask me.

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I'm having Sector 7 3D shipped so I'll see how it goes. I'm not a big fan of subtitles b/c I have an odd notion that it takes away from the movies b/c you have to read and don't see all of the movie in it's great glory. Mainly action type movies, etc. Also probably because I'm a lazy reader smile.gif
post #930 of 1877
Can anyone please confirm where the snake scene comes into this movie. I struggle slightly with sitting too long in front of the screen with this animation. Remember seeing the snake popping out scene and diving back for cover... Can someone pretty please confirm the time in the movie that it comes in? cool.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects