or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › FM anenna for receiver in basement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FM anenna for receiver in basement?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Can anyone recommend a decent FM antenna for my new Pio 1120 in my basement?

The stock string-style antenna isn't working at all...
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent FM antenna for my new Pio 1120 in my basement?

The stock string-style antenna isn't working at all...

Your (almost) only option is roof top antenna.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent FM antenna for my new Pio 1120 in my basement?

The stock string-style antenna isn't working at all...

Get a logitech or sonos or something and use the stream off that maybe? Sound resolution is not the highest but you can listen to talk radio ;> From all over the world!
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Can anyone recommend a decent FM antenna for my new Pio 1120 in my basement?

The stock string-style antenna isn't working at all...

If you have copper plumbing through your house, attach your string attena to a pipe in your basement and see if it helps. More than likely you'll be running an antenna on your rooftop , but I used this trick as a kid.
post #5 of 15
I was having the same problem. For me, however, the local station I listen to streams the radio signal over the Internet. My fix was just to listen over the Internet through the 1120's Internet radio option. In comparison, the sound was much improved using the Internet.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Wild... So there's no device out there that I use as a boosted antenna? That sucks...

The copper pipe idea is cool, but unfortunately, there are no such pipes near the receiver.

I guess I'll have to track down the Internet broadcast addresses for the 5 local stations I listen to...

What about HD radio? Would that work in a basement without a rooftop antenna?
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

What about HD radio? Would that work in a basement without a rooftop antenna?

HD radio requires even stronger signal than regular FM.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Wild... So there's no device out there that I use as a boosted antenna? That sucks...

There are powered antennas (I have a Terk Tower) that boost the signal a little, but it's still working against tons and tons of dirt in a basement setting. My Terk improved the reception of most of my FMs, and pulled in two AMs that I couldn't get before, but it didn't work miracles. I also live on a second floor and the antenna is next to a large window.

Getting the antenna above ground is your best shot.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post


There are powered antennas (I have a Terk Tower) that boost the signal a little, but it's still working against tons and tons of dirt in a basement setting. My Terk improved the reception of most of my FMs, and pulled in two AMs that I couldn't get before, but it didn't work miracles. I also live on a second floor and the antenna is next to a large window.

Getting the antenna above ground is your best shot.

Maybe I should have mentioned that this is in a walk-out basement and the receiver is 3 ft away from a brick wall and sliding glass door that separates it from the outside world... Woops!

While i cant set it next to a window (or the door), I can set it on top of my FL tower speaker -- while the stock antenna doesnt even reach the midpoint on the back of the tower speaker or TV that sits right above the receiver on a stand.

Would something like the Terk work well in this case? If so, is there a model you can recommend?
post #10 of 15
I have a couple of these cheap $2.00 dipole antennas and while not the best, it does work pretty good. I had to play around positioning it just right. I guess it depends on how far away away you are from your stations too.
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-...d_bxgy_e_img_a
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Wild... So there's no device out there that I use as a boosted antenna? That sucks...

The copper pipe idea is cool, but unfortunately, there are no such pipes near the receiver.

I guess I'll have to track down the Internet broadcast addresses for the 5 local stations I listen to...

What about HD radio? Would that work in a basement without a rooftop antenna?

Antenna needs to be at least in the 1st floor above ground. Can you run a cable tv type coax cable in the wall to the room above your setup? If so, you could mount the antenna up there to that cable. Of course, the higher the better.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post


Antenna needs to be at least in the 1st floor above ground. Can you run a cable tv type coax cable in the wall to the room above your setup? If so, you could mount the antenna up there to that cable. Of course, the higher the better.

Is it possible to connect it to a splitter that connects to the coax that already runs throughout my entire house? If so, would the fm signals on the wire cause problems with my FiOS or MoCA signals?

What kind of connector fits the fm plug? Is it standard coax? I never really looked at it closely...

If something like that would work, it would essentially turn my entire townhouse into an antenna... which would be pretty damn cool. LOL
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Is it possible to connect it to a splitter that connects to the coax that already runs throughout my entire house? If so, would the fm signals on the wire cause problems with my FiOS or MoCA signals?

What kind of connector fits the fm plug? Is it standard coax? I never really looked at it closely...

Forget about mixing with cable TV, it won't work. For FM antenna connection you can use regular coax cable. If you do not want rooftop antenna to be ouside, put into attic. Signal level will be compromised to a certain degree tough, so you may loose an ability to get HD radio.
post #14 of 15
I also have the same reception basement issue. Can you extend the FM wire, such as splice it to make it longer?
I have a basement window about 20 ft away and I was thinking of just running it out the basement window and up the wall.

Thoughts on that?
post #15 of 15
NPR sells (or recommends) an antenna which is supposed to work very well for FM radio (try seaching NPR antenna.)

Of course, it will work better outside. I assume you can wire it up with standard twin lead, but I am not 100% sure on that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › FM anenna for receiver in basement?