or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 116

post #3451 of 5334
It's not symmetrical. I'm using a FS52 as a rear center. The pegs don't line up if you flip it. If you cut off the inside four pegs it will go on flush.
The top and bottom pegs will fit. Not sure if you wanna do that.
Edited by XStanleyX - 11/14/12 at 5:58pm
post #3452 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

If you cut off the inside four pegs it will go on flush.
The top and bottom pegs will fit. Not sure if you wanna do that.

Hmmmm, that might just work.
post #3453 of 5334
Does the bottom platform come off? Could you attach it to the top so it still sits on the platform
post #3454 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Does the bottom platform come off? Could you attach it to the top so it still sits on the platform

The bottom platform attaches with four screws. Don't think it would work well.
post #3455 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Does the bottom platform come off? Could you attach it to the top so it still sits on the platform
No, it can't be attached but thats ok. For my needs, it workd better without the base. The front edge of the speaker lines up exactly with the edge of the bookcase. I am putting a screw eye in the side of the bookcase where it cannot be seen and using picture wire to attach it to the anchor point on the speaker back.
post #3456 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Well, I guess I am one of the few out there who do not like the Pioneers as much as I like and prefer the Polk. Budget wise I think the Pioneers are excellent. Power wise they are lacking, even though they do sound good once the volume is increased by 40% on the AVR.

This does seem like a silly way to judge a speaker.
post #3457 of 5334
I seem to recall recently it was posted that the review was in this months issue of Home Theater Magazine - the cliffnotes version was that these are (as expected) great speakers. Anybody out there able to link to the article or post a picture of it? Google has failed me this evening in my efforts to find it.
post #3458 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubateve View Post

I seem to recall recently it was posted that the review was in this months issue of Home Theater Magazine - the cliffnotes version was that these are (as expected) great speakers. Anybody out there able to link to the article or post a picture of it? Google has failed me this evening in my efforts to find it.

I've got it, give me a minute to post some pics.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/zYieV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pmIIq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9M1lT.jpg


Let me know if those aren't legible.
Edited by JohnnyWash1 - 11/14/12 at 8:05pm
post #3459 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmabry View Post
If they were front ported I'd just put them sideways on the second shelf. They fit perfectly rolleyes.gif I don't think they'd be very happy there though.

Can't just put them on the floor???

post #3460 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmabry View Post

8b2103fc867fe36d5de8c192fc778655.jpg
Ok, so I'm in the middle of completely redoing this room. Led lighting on a dimmer remote to all the shelves as well as uplighting. Anyway, as you can see, I'm going to batwing the FS52s on both sides of the unit. I'm also making a mount to raise a different plasma screen and the cc will slide in right below it.
So, I'd like to flip the FSs and not have the silver badges upside down. If nothing else, it's sharpie time so they blend in. At least with a $99 speaker, I won't feel like I committed sacrilidge.
If they were front ported I'd just put them sideways on the second shelf. They fit perfectly rolleyes.gif I don't think they'd be very happy there though.

I think one of the biggest problems you have with your set up is the entertainment center. It looks more like a bookshelf. I am sorry. I am not trying to offend you or be a dick. In my opinion it needs to be redone to where you can use the space rather than trying to use the space around it.
post #3461 of 5334
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I think one of the biggest problems you have with your set up is the entertainment center. It looks more like a bookshelf. I am sorry. I am not trying to offend you or be a dick. In my opinion it needs to be redone to where you can use the space rather than trying to use the space around it.

Lol, no offense taken. I agree. But i am going to work with what I have as it was built in when I bought the home from the builder. He was not a HT buff. But he was an excellent builder and the unit is very nice. After I purchased the home I wired the walls up for 7.1 from a distribution panel in the bottom right cabinet. I also have cat 5 running behind the unit. I'm pretty sure I'll be reasonably happy with the finished redo. The height of the tv is the only real pita now, at least it will be mounted as much forward as possible with a downward tilt.
post #3462 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmabry View Post

Lol, no offense taken. I agree. But i am going to work with what I have as it was built in when I bought the home from the builder. He was not a HT buff. But he was an excellent builder and the unit is very nice. After I purchased the home I wired the walls up for 7.1 from a distribution panel in the bottom right cabinet. I also have cat 5 running behind the unit. I'm pretty sure I'll be reasonably happy with the finished redo. The height of the tv is the only real pita now, at least it will be mounted as much forward as possible with a downward tilt.

I understand. I think HSU speakers would work better with what you have. Get some bookshelf speakers set them to small, and a good sub and you'll be set.
post #3463 of 5334
Awesome, thank you! the right side of the pages was a bit blurred, but i was able to make it all out. As summarized, a rather glowing review!
post #3464 of 5334
Hope this hasn't already been asked. Has anyone tried to do a complete setup using only towers. If so, how did you and where did you place the towers for surrounds.
post #3465 of 5334
I own a pair of each of the 1st series speakers, and one of the center channels.

I am planning to use the towers and center channel upstairs in my living room, along with either the 41's or the 21's as my surround, and the pair of bookshelf I don't use for surround I would use in my downstairs as a second zone set.

Thinking it makes the most sense to use the 21's as surround and the 41's stand on their own.

Others agree?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
post #3466 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillsnik View Post

I own a pair of each of the 1st series speakers, and one of the center channels.
I am planning to use the towers and center channel upstairs in my living room, along with either the 41's or the 21's as my surround, and the pair of bookshelf I don't use for surround I would use in my downstairs as a second zone set.
Thinking it makes the most sense to use the 21's as surround and the 41's stand on their own.
Others agree?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

That is exactly what i would do
post #3467 of 5334
This is the review of the BS22 - no small sound here, and some good bass response.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speaker-system
post #3468 of 5334
^ after reading that now im thinking about selling the fs51, c21 and bs21s to upgrade to the new ones.

sometimes i hate speakers

SIGH
post #3469 of 5334
Don't be silly. I've heard both bs21 and bs22 and the differences are minor.
post #3470 of 5334
What do you guys see as a next upgrade from these budget pioneers? i currently own the fs51, cs21, bs21s... i was thinking about klipsch reference ii line with rf82 floor standing speakers
post #3471 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

What do you guys see as a next upgrade from these budget pioneers? i currently own the fs51, cs21, bs21s... i was thinking about klipsch reference ii line with rf82 floor standing speakers

Klipsch Reference is not for me.smile.gif
post #3472 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

^ after reading that now im thinking about selling the fs51, c21 and bs21s to upgrade to the new ones.
sometimes i hate speakers
SIGH

That option/decision is up to you - to my nit-picking ears, the differences are clear and there.
I enjoy the Phase 2 speakers much more, over the more rolled off/laid back Phase 1. > You
can always test out a pair of the BS22, and see how they compare to you.
post #3473 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

^ after reading that now im thinking about selling the fs51, c21 and bs21s to upgrade to the new ones.
sometimes i hate speakers
SIGH

The difference is minimal. If I was you, I would save up some money, and buy a good 3.1 set up. Like HSU, HTD, etc.
post #3474 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

What do you guys see as a next upgrade from these budget pioneers? i currently own the fs51, cs21, bs21s... i was thinking about klipsch reference ii line with rf82 floor standing speakers

make sure you do an audition first if you can, it will be a much different sound so you will want to make sure you like it. i prefer the pioneers better, to me they are just a lot easier to listen to without fatigue
post #3475 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The difference is minimal. If I was you, I would save up some money, and buy a good 3.1 set up. Like HSU, HTD, etc.

I would argue that he does have a good front 3 already.
post #3476 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post

I would argue that he does have a good front 3 already.

exactly
post #3477 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post

I would argue that he does have a good front 3 already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

exactly

He is asking for an upgrade to better speakers. HSU and HTD is an upgrade compared to the Pioneers.
post #3478 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

He is asking for an upgrade to better speakers. HSU and HTD is an upgrade compared to the Pioneers.

In what ways? Have you compared them?
post #3479 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post

In what ways? Have you compared them?

A family friend currently has level 3 5.1 set from HTD, and it sounds amazing. HSU I haven't them heard them in person, but he said that they are excellent speakers similar to HTD. So, if HSU sound similar to HTD...they yeah, they are an upgrade! I am happy with my current set up, and I was going to buy the Pioneer speakers. They sounded good, but I like the way the Polk Audio sounded better. Once, we buy out new house next year in November, I will be replacing my current set up with HTD.
post #3480 of 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Raising the "volume" to get to the same SPL doesn't make any sense. What you're raising is the voltage. (Or the power, depending on how you want to look at it.) According to the specs, you're right; you aren't raising the voltage anywhere near 40% to get the same SPL. It's much closer to 125%. Naturally it's hard to be very exact based solely on the specs, as there's no reason to believe the two manufacturers measured them in the same way. But no matter how you measured it, 87dB versus 91dB is BIG.
But should you care? I really don't think so. Turning the knob a little farther is pretty easy to do. As long as you keep it 10dB below reference, the Pioneers will perform great. It sounds like you have your receiver set to display volume as "absolute" instead of the much more informative relative mode. But you're not pushing the limits. You wouldn't have chosen these speakers if you were, as they start to sound like crap.
You won't hurt your receiver. I'll give you 3 reasons.
1. If you're primarily watching TV/movies, as it sounds, the average sound level is relatively low. Even if you were watching movies at reference (which as discussed above is outside the capability of your setup), the average power per channel would be under 10W. If you're 10dB below reference, the average is under 1W. The receiver is just putting along at these levels. It's not even trying. Long sessions of loud, dynamically compressed music would be far more taxing.
2. The receiver has thermal protection circuits built in. It'll cut its own output before any catastrophic failure occurs. Sure a life of running continuously close to its maximum output would be a little hard on it without triggering those protections, but you're not doing that.
3. You're just plain not doing anything it wasn't designed to do. You're doing with it exactly what it's made for. Worry less; listen more! biggrin.gif

I have no regrets on these speakers - only telling the other guy that said these were too "low" that when I switched to these over the Polk's that to get the same level of loudness (not technical at all - to where the volume is near the same level with these over the Polk's, the level must be increased to match the same level as in the past, no problem with that, trying to let that other person know that yes i saw what he meant but no big deal to me - though now he had me wondering if it's over time pushing the receiver alot harder but that' OK , i like the sound - so i'm good with it.

I wasn't too worried and i find the Denon while warn is at the same warm temp even if it's left on but not playing anything (sources turned off) - so sure it's OK and if not, then I'll get a better receiver - not change speakers (I wish I would have gotten the 3313, in fact trying to swap for it if BB will let me though over return period, it's 2x the $$$$ so just maybe they will let me move up).

Funny $$$ isn't an issue when it comes to sound within reason - but these speakers - besides the Magnepan's - these are all i'd want ..... , at the least i'll get a separate amp for our game room and run the Zone 2 pre outs to the other extra pair of fs52's , wonder how they would sound via a dedicated strereo amp (friend has an Emotiva i was gonna get).

Curious to hear the 2113 FLAC's output to Emotiva stereo amp to the FS52's (for the type of music I listen to, the FS52's have plenty of tight bass).

Thanks though for that receiver longevity piece of mind , so while I'll put out $$$$ as needed for good sound , I won't have to worry about wasting any $$$$$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point