or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 138

post #4111 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post

Shilling for NewEgg again. Shirley the cheque is in the post [USAian: check is in the mail].

"30% OFF Select Home Audio Speakers Soundbars & Receivers until with coupon code BTEXSVL67 up to a maximum discount of $300 per order. No minimum purchase required. Limit one use per customer; may not be combined with other promo codes or combo discounts. Expires at 11:59PM PST 5/01/2013 or SOONER based on fund availability."

Cost with free shipping:

$89.59 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
$87.49 Pioneer SP-FS52
$67.89 Pioneer SP-C22
$109.89 Pioneer SW-8MK2

Also

$174.99 Pioneer VSX-523-K (5.1)
$279.99 Pioneer VSX-823-K (5.1)
$349.99 Pioneer VSX-1023-K (7.1)
$419.99 Pioneer VSX-1123-K (7.1)

Yeah i saw that, but did not get the Newegg invite on that deal.

I have no problems buying in spurts, BUT, should I buy these towers at $100, or is there a good chance I can find this deal again in the next few...?
post #4112 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Yeah i saw that, but did not get the Newegg invite on that deal.

I have no problems buying in spurts, BUT, should I buy these towers at $100, or is there a good chance I can find this deal again in the next few...?

Yes, I would. They recently upped the retail price so I think that the sales will be higher in the future - outside of close-outs. If you can get them now, it's better to be safe than sorry.
post #4113 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Yes, I would. They recently upped the retail price so I think that the sales will be higher in the future - outside of close-outs. If you can get them now, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It appears I get charged tax and $25 for shipping is the lowest option. Total comes to $239, which really isn't that good considering Newegg has them for $250 no shipping/tax. $10 is not a real significant savings.
post #4114 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Is that a really good deal, as in should I buy right now even if I'm one month away from building the system?

It's not a bad deal. You should use Best Buy's Online Price matching. You can just pick them up at the store so you don't have to wait for shipping. You won't get free shipping with Tigerdirect. So cheaper to pay tax then shipping. And the prices AJCxZ0 posted won't work for everyone. You need a promo code for that and the code won't work for everyone. Try the code first if that doesn't work then use Best Buy's online price matching.

With tax they will go for about 106. So if you bought 2 it would be 212 vs 250.

If you are wondering how to do Best Buy's online pricing all you do is print out the check out web page and show it to a Best Buy sales person. They'll match the price.
Edited by ShadowJ20 - 5/5/13 at 11:38am
post #4115 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucadet3 View Post


If anyone has maybe a 10 inch sub recommendation that will sound nice with music as well as movies let me know.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

You will find this thread of some use. ^

A popular sub woofer is the "Klipsch Reference RW-12". You can buy it at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Currently there is a promo code that will take off 70 bucks which drops it to 280 (Code ends 5/8). From what I've read on these forums there's really no sub that would beat this Klipsch in this price range.
post #4116 of 5316
Thanks for the links. That is acutally the sub I just bought for the living room when the infinity sub died and it does rock. It might be overkill as my man cave is much smaller and enclosed than the living room. Lower cielings, no open floor plan, etc...Another consideration is floor space, that sub is huge and the room is kind of tight already with the tv, some yamaha ns-200ma, these pioneers and surrounds, a drawing table, two lounging chairs, and a treadmill! Having said that the infinity sub is not much smaller than that one.

I put the bookshelf surrounds up and ran the auto calibration on my trusty older onkyo 606 (recently retired from the living room due to its lack of 3D support) The system sounds so sweet now! I found all the bass. This reciever was hooked up previously to the tss 1200 infinities so it wasnt sending any bass to the speakers. After running the calibration it knows it doesnt have a sub and although its not the same as having a sub there is plenty of bass for most music. I turned it up pretty loud and was having a blast switching out cds and hearing little details in a new way. I really enjoyed the music in surround as well and thats sometimes annoying depending on the recording.

I have not watched any movies yet, as I stlil need a bluray player in there biggrin.gif
post #4117 of 5316
I just bought the sub for $279.99 on Newegg. The other BIC I was going to get was $200 and this one was so much better in ratings that I decided to spent the extra $80.
post #4118 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

I just bought the sub for $279.99 on Newegg. The other BIC I was going to get was $200 and this one was so much better in ratings that I decided to spent the extra $80.

You made a good choice. The F12 is a good sub at $200, but the RW-12d is definitely worth the difference smile.gif
post #4119 of 5316
TigerDirect also has the other matching speakers on sale. Did I find this deal or has this been news for a while?

Pioneer SP-BS22 - 89.99
Pioneer SP-C22 - 67.99
Pioneer SP-FS52 - 97.99

Not quite as good as the Newegg deal recently or the Frys deal a while back, but a very good deal nonetheless it appears.
post #4120 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

TigerDirect also has the other matching speakers on sale. Did I find this deal or has this been news for a while?

Pioneer SP-BS22 - 89.99
Pioneer SP-C22 - 67.99
Pioneer SP-FS52 - 97.99

Not quite as good as the Newegg deal recently or the Frys deal a while back, but a very good deal nonetheless it appears.

Picked all 5 speakers up at BB today for $383 after tax. Obviously that price reflects BB price-matching TigerDirect. Plus the $280 sub, $663 ain't too bad altogether I don't guess. More than I wanted to spend, but if you're going to spend any at all, you may as well broaden the budget a little to make room for better quality. After I add the $400 Denon 1913, this system for <$1,100 will whoop on my HTiB Onkyo SRS606 system I spent $700 on 4 years ago, and I really hope this will have some serious longevity to it (10+ years), or at least the speakers will.
post #4121 of 5316
@tuffluck

What sub did you get?
post #4122 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJ20 View Post

@tuffluck

What sub did you get?

Klipsch RW-12d

I only have the 5.0 hooked up with the old Onkyo sub. I can't hear the sub at all, in fact I think the Pioneers put out more bass than the Onkyo does...

So far I have only watched Running Scared on Blu-Ray and it sounds good. I didn't do any setup, just plug and go. I think I had my expectations a little higher, but it definitely sounds fuller than the previous system.
post #4123 of 5316
Does anyone have height problems with the FS52s? Does anyone put them on plinths or something?
post #4124 of 5316
I am considering getting rear/surrounds to complete my 5.1 set-up (currently I have the front FS52 and center C22) and was wondering if there would be any benefit or detriment with going with another set of FS52's for the surrounds/rear. I'm no sound expert and didn't know if getting the BS22's and locating them higher in the rear would actually be better (ie getting them above the couch level relative to the FS52's). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
post #4125 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs617 View Post

I am considering getting rear/surrounds to complete my 5.1 set-up (currently I have the front FS52 and center C22) and was wondering if there would be any benefit or detriment with going with another set of FS52's for the surrounds/rear. I'm no sound expert and didn't know if getting the BS22's and locating them higher in the rear would actually be better (ie getting them above the couch level relative to the FS52's). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I got the 52s in front and 22s in rear and I almost immediatly decided next time there was a good sale I was going to switch out the 22s for another set of 52s and move the 22s to a bedroom for ocassional mood music (if you know what I mean wink.gif ). I'd say if you have room get 4 towers.
post #4126 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJ20 View Post

Does anyone have height problems with the FS52s? Does anyone put them on plinths or something?

I put them up 19" - ugh! frown.gif Lost a lot of bass and midrange. The tweeters were now reflecting back against a bare wall and became harsh.

I'm going to have to experiment more when I'm less busy. They're back on the ground for now. I'd like to raise them about 5-10" to get them closer to ear height and reduce reflections on the wall behind them.
post #4127 of 5316
post #4128 of 5316
Really dumb question here, but I got my RW-12D today and wondering what kind of wire do I use to hook it up? Will my 12 AWG work? I'm confused because my Onkyo TX-SR606 only has a single plug-in for a sub, not speaker wire outlets. The sub has two separate speaker wire outlets, so I'm confused...
post #4129 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Really dumb question here, but I got my RW-12D today and wondering what kind of wire do I use to hook it up? Will my 12 AWG work? I'm confused because my Onkyo TX-SR606 only has a single plug-in for a sub, not speaker wire outlets. The sub has two separate speaker wire outlets, so I'm confused...

RCA cable will do. Or Coaxial / RCA cable will work too.
post #4130 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Really dumb question here, but I got my RW-12D today and wondering what kind of wire do I use to hook it up? Will my 12 AWG work? I'm confused because my Onkyo TX-SR606 only has a single plug-in for a sub, not speaker wire outlets. The sub has two separate speaker wire outlets, so I'm confused...
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-Subwoofer-Audio-Cable/dp/B0001XGR1C/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368046928&sr=1-4&keywords=subwoofer+cable
Connect a cable like this to the left "line in" on the RW-12D.
post #4131 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

I put them up 19" - ugh! frown.gif Lost a lot of bass and midrange. The tweeters were now reflecting back against a bare wall and became harsh.

I'm going to have to experiment more when I'm less busy. They're back on the ground for now. I'd like to raise them about 5-10" to get them closer to ear height and reduce reflections on the wall behind them.

I solved my problem by putting my 22's on top of my 52's.
post #4132 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs617 View Post

I am considering getting rear/surrounds to complete my 5.1 set-up (currently I have the front FS52 and center C22) and was wondering if there would be any benefit or detriment with going with another set of FS52's for the surrounds/rear. I'm no sound expert and didn't know if getting the BS22's and locating them higher in the rear would actually be better (ie getting them above the couch level relative to the FS52's). Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucadet3 View Post

I got the 52s in front and 22s in rear and I almost immediatly decided next time there was a good sale I was going to switch out the 22s for another set of 52s and move the 22s to a bedroom for ocassional mood music (if you know what I mean wink.gif ). I'd say if you have room get 4 towers.

I would say is a bad idea for a single reason. Both, surround LR and surround back LR need to be placed "above" ear level for surround effect and acoustic quality. You can't do that with the towers. For the cost of the towers, you may want to invest in better bookshelves or satellites (deeply discounted to match the towers' price) or just keep the B22s. At full retail, from what I have researched, you won't find better speakers under $200/pair than the B22s (and these cost $100/pair). Surrounds don't need to match the center/fronts so you can match these with other brands.
post #4133 of 5316
edit: removed, if i would have read ... doh
Edited by RPGMasta - 5/9/13 at 5:16am
post #4134 of 5316
For those of you with these speakers and the RW-12d, what settings are you using on the sub? I got everything hooked up today and it sounds good, but the sub is a little quiet. Thanks.
post #4135 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

For those of you with these speakers and the RW-12d, what settings are you using on the sub? I got everything hooked up today and it sounds good, but the sub is a little quiet. Thanks.

I don't have that sub, but just a few tips, run automatic calibration. After that, make sure the speakers are set to "small", if not, do it manually. Crossover should no be lower than 100hz.

Also, follow the receiver's instruction on how to set the sub before the calibration begins. The receiver's sub gain should be within +/-3db. If after the calibration the sub gain falls out of that range, adjust the sub volume accordingly and run calibration again. Also, here is a useful video for placement optimization. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk
post #4136 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

For those of you with these speakers and the RW-12d, what settings are you using on the sub? I got everything hooked up today and it sounds good, but the sub is a little quiet. Thanks.
Other peoples settings wont work for you. What kind of avr do you have?
post #4137 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnewbie21 View Post

I don't have that sub, but just a few tips, run automatic calibration. After that, make sure the speakers are set to "small", if not, do it manually. Crossover should no be lower than 100hz.

Also, follow the receiver's instruction on how to set the sub before the calibration begins. The receiver's sub gain should be within +/-3db. If after the calibration the sub gain falls out of that range, adjust the sub volume accordingly and run calibration again. Also, here is a useful video for placement optimization. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCIMufCQLk
+1
post #4138 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJ20 View Post

Does anyone have height problems with the FS52s? Does anyone put them on plinths or something?

Height problems? How tall are you sitting down? I'm 6'4", mostly legs, normal torso, and the tweeters are maybe 2 inches below my ear height, but they sound great. Do you have a really high couch? Extremely firm cushions that keep you up high?
post #4139 of 5316
I have an old onkyo sr606 and I'm not sure it offers all the calibration mentioned. Right now it's set on 0 db and that's about it.
post #4140 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

I have an old onkyo sr606 and I'm not sure it offers all the calibration mentioned. Right now it's set on 0 db and that's about it.
You should read the Onkyo owners manual.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point