or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 142

post #4231 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post

I swear the max tilt seems to be more then 7 degrees to me, but I eyes could be playing tricks on me.... either way, if they were secured with screws... no problem. If they are just being held on by the pressure of the front clamps... maybe. At most extreme tilt setting, I found the back of the speaker was inclined to want to lift... it probably wouldn't fall out, but because of the curve, you aren't getting equal pressure applied. If I had some need to mount them that way and didn't want to screw into the speaker, I would probably purchase some Velcro tape
Thanks for the response. We are thinking the same thing. I will be receiving the mounts some time this week. My speakers are square but I already purchased some velcro and better screws (#8 x 3/4). They are being mounted straight into a wooden window frame in case you wonder why the screws are so short. I hope it does tilt more. I would like that.
post #4232 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thanks for the response. We are thinking the same thing. I will be receiving the mounts some time this week. My speakers are square but I already purchased some velcro and better screws (#8 x 3/4). They are being mounted straight into a wooden window frame in case you wonder why the screws are so short. I hope it does tilt more. I would like that.

If they are square it is probably less of a problem, but the BS22's work without screws because they are not very heavy (9.2 lbs?) I am not sure I would trust a much heavier speaker without some additional support (via screws or safety cables, etc.).

Probably good to replace the screws... as per the reviews on Amazon, the included wall mounting hardware strips very easily... I managed to use some of what was included, but had screw them in by hand, power tools would have stripped them clean.
post #4233 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post

It's so rare to hear anyone who actually uses the same speakers for all three front speakers even though that is exactly how it should be configured*, never mind someone who actually replaced a center speaker. The so-called center speaker is always a compromise. Good for you!

I have a SP-C21 between my SP-FS51-LRs for the same reason as everyone else, but my main home theater (which doesn't use Pioneer speakers) uses a phantom center which works perfectly.

*See e.g. Q15 in the "Dolby Digital FAQ".

Perhaps it's just because my center channel sits in sort of an extra enclosure under my TV, but the several times I have run Audyssey, it always seems to have more bass and an overall fuller sound than the towers. confused.gif
post #4234 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by domain View Post

If they are square it is probably less of a problem, but the BS22's work without screws because they are not very heavy (9.2 lbs?) I am not sure I would trust a much heavier speaker without some additional support (via screws or safety cables, etc.).

Probably good to replace the screws... as per the reviews on Amazon, the included wall mounting hardware strips very easily... I managed to use some of what was included, but had screw them in by hand, power tools would have stripped them clean.
I have a cordless drill. I am screwing into oak so I know the screws that came with it would not work. My Klipsch KB15s weigh 11 lbs so I got the velcro just to be sure. Im not putting screws in my speakers but I want to tilt them down as much as possible.
post #4235 of 5316
If you don't want to screw into the speakers, you can always use a two sided tape like a 3M VHB. They wouldn't go anywhere; you would have to cut through the tape with a razor balde to remove them.
post #4236 of 5316
Not looking for anything that permanent. I have used velcro before and it works just fine.
post #4237 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

just for the interested in this set up...i remove my pioneer cp22 center channel and install a third fs-52 for my LCR and all i can say is WOW!!!!! (nike)

Must be nice, my screen is not acoustically transparent. I have heard the older CP21 center is more "robust" than the new CP22. Had bigger drivers if memory serves...
post #4238 of 5316
That brings up a good point. He didnt say whether he is using it vertically or horizontally.
post #4239 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That brings up a good point. He didnt say whether he is using it vertically or horizontally.

in my case I use it vertically because I was thinking about the tweeter not been in the middle.
post #4240 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

in my case I use it vertically because I was thinking about the tweeter not been in the middle.
That would be the best way. For other reasons also.
post #4241 of 5316
I'll bet that sets up a nice sound stage.

I will have the FS 52's in a few days time. Thinking about doing an A / B test with them against my currently installed Martin Logan Motion 12's up front, just to see if there is a big difference, before they get relegated to surround duty.
post #4242 of 5316
I was wondering what everyone is using to hold the SP-BS22 up? My dogs are constantly knocking the Sanus Euro 24" stands over. Im now considering these

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Not sure if they will be strong enough to hold them and if anyone has tried them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #4243 of 5316
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UV03MW/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I just got these and they work great. Your link looks like basically the same thing for 1/2 the price. I dont have bs22s though. Someone else here used what I got for for bs22s though I believe and they worked OK. They are really made for square speakers and I dont think the bs22s are square. If you put some velcro on the bottom like I did you should be fine.
Weight should not be an issue. Your link are rated to 33lbs. Mine are rated to 50lbs.
post #4244 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZeus View Post

I was wondering what everyone is using to hold the SP-BS22 up? My dogs are constantly knocking the Sanus Euro 24" stands over. Im now considering these

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Not sure if they will be strong enough to hold them and if anyone has tried them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got some from Monoprice, quite inexpensive, will be mounting the BS22's today, will post pics
post #4245 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 View Post

I got some from Monoprice, quite inexpensive, will be mounting the BS22's today, will post pics
How about a link for what youre talking about while we wait on pics?
post #4246 of 5316
post #4247 of 5316
This speaker is now discontinued. I was able to buy a pair via Amazon.com last December (2012) for $90 + $15 shipping. Really a fantastic deal as I do think the speakers are quite good, even relative to the original or list price. I wish I could tell people that they're still available but right now it would probably be very hard to find a pair of new ones.
post #4248 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz McRae View Post

This speaker is now discontinued. I was able to buy a pair via Amazon.com last December (2012) for $90 + $15 shipping. Really a fantastic deal as I do think the speakers are quite good, even relative to the original or list price. I wish I could tell people that they're still available but right now it would probably be very hard to find a pair of new ones.

You are talking about the first series, right? Everyone here has moved on to buying the new version which is not discontinued and is an improvement: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers smile.gif
post #4249 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz McRae View Post

This speaker is now discontinued. I was able to buy a pair via Amazon.com last December (2012) for $90 + $15 shipping. Really a fantastic deal as I do think the speakers are quite good, even relative to the original or list price. I wish I could tell people that they're still available but right now it would probably be very hard to find a pair of new ones.

I've recently seen the first series bookshelfs at Walmart, so they are still out there if someone is looking for a matching pair.
post #4250 of 5316
If you have a couch with wide arms, just put the bookshelves on the back corner of the arms. Mine sit there perfectly and the speakers are solid enough that knocking them over requires a bit more work than you'd think.

post #4251 of 5316
Yes, I see from that site that the ones I've got are a "previous model." Didn't know there was a succeeding model. Guess I'm clueless.
post #4252 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I've recently seen the first series bookshelfs at Walmart, so they are still out there if someone is looking for a matching pair.

Had me a look and found this.
Pioneer Bookshelf Loudspeakers
Quote:
Item Description
Add sound to any area of your home with the Pioneer Bookshelf Loudspeakers. The curved cabinet construction is designed to reduce vibration so nothing rattles off your shelves.

LoL, who the heck is writing this?
post #4253 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

I've recently seen the first series bookshelfs at Walmart, so they are still out there if someone is looking for a matching pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You are talking about the first series, right? Everyone here has moved on to buying the new version which is not discontinued and is an improvement: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers smile.gif


You and others may have moved on but that does not mean everyone has rolleyes.gif
As tampa frank stated above, the 1st gen's are still for sell out there!
post #4254 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Quote:
Item Description
Add sound to any area of your home with the Pioneer Bookshelf Loudspeakers. The curved cabinet construction is designed to reduce vibration so nothing rattles off your shelves.
LoL, who the heck is writing this?
HA! I had really been wondering why items that I placed on my shelves just mysteriously stayed there. I'd been working through silly theories about gravity continuously pulling things downward and other foolishness like that. I'm not sure why I didn't see it before. It's the curved speakers stupid!

Thank you Walmart!
post #4255 of 5316
Hi guys. Great thread. Been looking at these speakers for a while and I am pretty sure I found a good deal on the system(or pieces through Tiger Direct).

Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SW-8MK2 $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf(pair) $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-C22 Center $67.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-FS52 (each) $97.99

with $5 economy shipping on all items over $100.

So you are talking $448.95 for 5.1 or $358.96 for 5.0 (there is tax for certain residents though)

Just wanted to see your guys take on these prices.
post #4256 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykast View Post

Hi guys. Great thread. Been looking at these speakers for a while and I am pretty sure I found a good deal on the system(or pieces through Tiger Direct).

Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SW-8MK2 $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf(pair) $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-C22 Center $67.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-FS52 (each) $97.99

with $5 economy shipping on all items over $100.

So you are talking $448.95 for 5.1 or $358.96 for 5.0 (there is tax for certain residents though)

Just wanted to see your guys take on these prices.

Unless you can wait on the Fry's deal where the towers are $77 each and the bookshelves are $77 together, the above prices are pretty decent. Although I think most people here do not recommend buying the sub, and getting a better one that doesn't drag down the other speakers. I got the Fry's deal but had to pay taxes, and I got BB to price match a combination of both Fry's and TigerDirect. Total price for me for the 5.0 came out to $325, and I think that's as low as you can go brand new. So you're paying a bit over an excellent deal, but it's still a good one. I think Fry's has said sale pretty regularly though if you did want to wait to save another $40ish.
post #4257 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Unless you can wait on the Fry's deal where the towers are $77 each and the bookshelves are $77 together, the above prices are pretty decent. Although I think most people here do not recommend buying the sub, and getting a better one that doesn't drag down the other speakers. I got the Fry's deal but had to pay taxes, and I got BB to price match a combination of both Fry's and TigerDirect. Total price for me for the 5.0 came out to $325, and I think that's as low as you can go brand new. So you're paying a bit over an excellent deal, but it's still a good one. I think Fry's has said sale pretty regularly though if you did want to wait to save another $40ish.

Yeah I was not wanting to get the sub myself either. The room the system will be in is about 20x12 with the system facing the width(12) side of the room in the left corner. It has wood floors. What seems to be the best sub for this system for around $200ish?

Thanks for the help.
post #4258 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykast View Post

Hi guys. Great thread. Been looking at these speakers for a while and I am pretty sure I found a good deal on the system(or pieces through Tiger Direct).

Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SW-8MK2 $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf(pair) $89.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-C22 Center $67.99
Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SP-FS52 (each) $97.99

with $5 economy shipping on all items over $100.

So you are talking $448.95 for 5.1 or $358.96 for 5.0 (there is tax for certain residents though)

Just wanted to see your guys take on these prices.
skip the sub and put that $$ towards the best subwoofer you can afford. Entry subs from SVS in the collective $500 & $650 range offer great bang for the buck smile.gif
post #4259 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

in my case I use it vertically because I was thinking about the tweeter not been in the middle.

The improvement in sound has more to do with vertical positioning of the speaker than just because it is a better speaker than the C22. If he had put this speaker horizontally, it probably had yielded worse sound than using the C22.
Edited by hdnewbie21 - 6/3/13 at 11:29am
post #4260 of 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post


You and others may have moved on but that does not mean everyone has rolleyes.gif
As tampa frank stated above, the 1st gen's are still for sell out there!

Great. You can have a cookie rolleyes.gif

The poster that I replied to seemed unaware that there was a 2nd generation of speakers.

The fact that some 1st series speakers are still around does not negate that Pioneer discontinued the speakers a while ago, and they have been very difficult to find since Newegg stopped selling them. Although it is certainly a good thing that Walmart has found some stock for those trying to complete a set.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point