or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 226

post #6751 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

heres a video of my 8350 130" screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhjUm..._order&list=UL

Now that's an odd video. It looks like you're taking the video from far away (the image is only taking up a tiny portion of the YouTube video), and the screen looks like a 1.33:1 (4:3) format screen, rather than 16:9.
post #6752 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ View Post

Which of the following settings are you using on the projector when you have the darkest conditions at night without lights?

1) Dynamic

2) Living room

3) Natural

4) Cinema

5) x.v. Color

Thank you for any advice.

I'm using Cinema with the lamp set at ECO, brightness clicked down to -11 via HD Video Essentials, contrast at -1. Not using the Iris or Superwhite, the black levels look just fine without it.
post #6753 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Now that's an odd video. It looks like you're taking the video from far away (the image is only taking up a tiny portion of the YouTube video), and the screen looks like a 1.33:1 (4:3) format screen, rather than 16:9.

i took it 13' away with my ipod touch
its a 130" 16.9 screen
post #6754 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff View Post

I'm using Cinema with the lamp set at ECO, brightness clicked down to -11 via HD Video Essentials, contrast at -1. Not using the Iris or Superwhite, the black levels look just fine without it.

Is there something about using the Iris that you don't like? Maybe that it is noisy if you are sitting too close to the projector or any other reason? I believe most people who have this projector turn on the iris
post #6755 of 8636
I don't like the auto iris because I can see it working if there's a sudden change. It's especially obvious if there's a cut to black. I can see the black level change. Fast or slow iris doesn't matter. I still see it.
post #6756 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaysing View Post

I don't like the auto iris because I can see it working if there's a sudden change. It's especially obvious if there's a cut to black. I can see the black level change. Fast or slow iris doesn't matter. I still see it.

Agreed on the "noticeable difference when on" theory. It's easy to see what we are talking about if you have a HTPC hooked up, with a black desktop background, and you start playing with the start menu. Iris will start adjusting the blacks at a noticeable level.

Plus it makes noise, so if you hear the noise of the iris adjusting it becomes that more obvious that the blacks are going to change too, like messing with your head so-to-speak.
post #6757 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaysing View Post

I don't like the auto iris because I can see it working if there's a sudden change. It's especially obvious if there's a cut to black. I can see the black level change. Fast or slow iris doesn't matter. I still see it.

What would you say the difference in the deepness of the blacks is with the iris on and off? With the Iris on, are the blacks much darker, moderately darker, or just a little darker?
post #6758 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by korygrandy View Post

Agreed on the "noticeable difference when on" theory. It's easy to see what we are talking about if you have a HTPC hooked up, with a black desktop background, and you start playing with the start menu. Iris will start adjusting the blacks at a noticeable level.

Plus it makes noise, so if you hear the noise of the iris adjusting it becomes that more obvious that the blacks are going to change too, like messing with your head so-to-speak.

What would you say the difference in the deepness of the blacks is with the iris on and off? With the Iris on, are the blacks much darker, moderately darker, or just a little darker?
post #6759 of 8636
just finished watching MEGAMIND and it was in credible
theres no way the JVC's are worth $4000 more
post #6760 of 8636
So does the Epson 8350 have a 90 day lamp warranty or a two year lamp warranty?
post #6761 of 8636
I still can't decide to go 3D, or get the 8350 as my first projector. If I go 3D it will be the Panny 7000 or an Epson 6010. However, I feel like several new 4K projectors will come out next year and it will be cheaper to upgrade from a 2D.

What screen gain are you people using with yours. I am looking at the Jamestown Hometheater Screen which is 1.2 gain. Would that be a good screen?

Thanks,
post #6762 of 8636
About a month ago my PJ began to signal that it was overheating. I cleaned the filter (which did not seem dirty), but it still overheated. I finally solved the overheating by changing the bulb setting to eco mode. Tonight, I turned it on and it immediately flashed that the projector was overheating again (and it had only been on about 5 minutes). Is this a sign that the bulb is going out? I only have about 900+ hours on it. Thanks for advice.
post #6763 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by William88 View Post

I currently own the epson hc720 and I absolutely love that pj. After hearing about the 8350 I am getting a serious case of upgrade-itis. Great price great specs( way better than my current pj) and can't wait to see how much better this will be. I have to sell my 720 first though, or the wifey will more than likely cut me in some fashion. Looking forward to reading some reviews on this guy but I think I'm gonna end up pulling the trigger anyways

HC 8350 is a nice step up in image quality from the HC 720 (which was my previous projector)...You won't miss the HC 720 one bit!
post #6764 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddikop View Post

About a month ago my PJ began to signal that it was overheating. I cleaned the filter (which did not seem dirty), but it still overheated. I finally solved the overheating by changing the bulb setting to eco mode. Tonight, I turned it on and it immediately flashed that the projector was overheating again (and it had only been on about 5 minutes). Is this a sign that the bulb is going out? I only have about 900+ hours on it. Thanks for advice.

Projectors don't overheat because a bulb is going out. Call customer service.
post #6765 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ View Post

Is there something about using the Iris that you don't like? Maybe that it is noisy if you are sitting too close to the projector or any other reason? I believe most people who have this projector turn on the iris

I guess I'm just prejudiced against Irises because the one in the Sanyo degraded the picture rather than made it better. I'll test the Iris on the Epson one of these days, but the picture looks fine to me so far without it.
post #6766 of 8636
I spoke to a popular online site today about purchasing the epson 8350. I was told that they do not have any instock and that supplies will be limited because epson will be phasing out the 8350, this summer, for a new 2d upgraded projector. Anyone else heard about this or what the 8350 replacement might be capable of?
post #6767 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkindt View Post

I spoke to a popular online site today about purchasing the epson 8350. I was told that they do not have any instock and that supplies will be limited because epson will be phasing out the 8350, this summer, for a new 2d upgraded projector. Anyone else heard about this or what the 8350 replacement might be capable of?

Probably just features, hard to imagine a picture that is better than this.

I, however, do not know what I am talking about.
post #6768 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUDesi View Post

Projectors don't overheat because a bulb is going out. Call customer service.

Called customer service this morning and they are shipping me out a refurbished unit with new bulb tomorrow! Tech said it is probably a heat sensor or bad fan. Hope this one doesn't have any problems since I only have 8 months left on warranty. Great customer service!
post #6769 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkindt View Post

I spoke to a popular online site today about purchasing the epson 8350. I was told that they do not have any instock and that supplies will be limited because epson will be phasing out the 8350, this summer, for a new 2d upgraded projector. Anyone else heard about this or what the 8350 replacement might be capable of?

Surprised they would want to phase it out since it's a great 2D projector for the price.
May be they want to use the same assembly line as their new models???

I can only assume they are going to use the new D9 LCD panels.
Probably just a 3010 with no 3D with added lens shift.
Hopefully the contrast is not sacrificed for lumens.

Or maybe no more 2D only Home Theater projector from Epson...
post #6770 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I still can't decide to go 3D, or get the 8350 as my first projector. If I go 3D it will be the Panny 7000 or an Epson 6010. However, I feel like several new 4K projectors will come out next year and it will be cheaper to upgrade from a 2D.

What screen gain are you people using with yours. I am looking at the Jamestown Hometheater Screen which is 1.2 gain. Would that be a good screen?

Thanks,

dude the jamestown screen + epson 8350= match made in heaven
picture quality is out of this world
this screens are worth way more than he sells them for
i think its the best screen under $1000
post #6771 of 8636
About a week ago I started noticing a small flicker or blink with the image. It's a little difficult to explain but when you are watching you'll notice the image brightness go down just for a second and then go back, like a "flicker" or a "blink". I only use cinema and living room modes. It's on it's first bulb with only 464 hours on it, no indicator lights are coming on saying it's the bulb and I would hope it wouldn't with less than a quarter of it's life gone. I also have had it on ECO mode the whole year I've owned it. I think I am going to check the filter and make sure that it's not clogged up but other than that has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it?

I did read in the owner's maual about a flicker on "still" images and to use the progressive scan adjustment under advanced or something but not sure if this is something that would fix what I have going on.....
post #6772 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ace View Post

About a week ago I started noticing a small flicker or blink with the image. It's a little difficult to explain but when you are watching you'll notice the image brightness go down just for a second and then go back, like a "flicker" or a "blink". I only use cinema and living room modes. It's on it's first bulb with only 464 hours on it, no indicator lights are coming on saying it's the bulb and I would hope it wouldn't with less than a quarter of it's life gone. I also have had it on ECO mode the whole year I've owned it. I think I am going to check the filter and make sure that it's not clogged up but other than that has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it?

I did read in the owner's maual about a flicker on "still" images and to use the progressive scan adjustment under advanced or something but not sure if this is something that would fix what I have going on.....

Try disconnecting/reseating your HDMI cables.
If that doesn't help, try swapping them out one at a time.
post #6773 of 8636
Has anyone tried the "HIGH CONTRAST GRAY GREY PROJECTOR SCREEN MATERIAL BY THE FOOT DLP LCD HDTV" material sold on eBait ? His ad shows a picture of Spiderman on a video screen. The stuff looks like its fairly high quality, has anyone tried it ?
post #6774 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarstar View Post

Has anyone tried the "HIGH CONTRAST GRAY GREY PROJECTOR SCREEN MATERIAL BY THE FOOT DLP LCD HDTV" material sold on eBait ? His ad shows a picture of Spiderman on a video screen. The stuff looks like its fairly high quality, has anyone tried it ?

If you are talking about this seller, yes, he makes great screens.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...304049&page=13
post #6775 of 8636
I already set up my new projector and elite sable 1.1 gain cinewhite screen about a month ago, very happy with it, except my picture doesn't quite fill the screen even with the max 2.1:1 zoom enabled. I get about 85" of picture on my 92" elite screens sable screen. I use it in a darkened room with white walls/ceiling.. but considering my short 8.5 foot throw and small projected image of 85". should I have gotten a grey screen like the elite ezframe cinegrey 1.0 gain screen? it's available in 85" size. Just wondering in case I decide to upgrade the screen later
post #6776 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

If you are talking about this seller, yes, he makes great screens.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...304049&page=13


I don't think so, here's the eBay item number I'm referring to .... 300641132934
post #6777 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarstar View Post

I don't think so, here's the eBay item number I'm referring to .... 300641132934

Seems to have good feedback.
Ask them for a sample.
post #6778 of 8636
I've put my brand new 8350 projector on a shelf that collapsed after a few days. The projector fell down from about 6 feet...
The results: the projector still works, but the image is distorted - it is composed of three images (red, green, blue) which don't fit with each other.

I've took the projector to the lab at my home country (no warranty). They've said the "optical mechanism" needs to be replaced. The suggested price is about 450$...

Can anyone suggest a "do-it-yourself" approach? maybe a service manual and a link to an online store to purchase replacement parts?

Thanks!
Assaf
post #6779 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by assafei View Post

I've put my brand new 8350 projector on a shelf that collapsed after a few days. The projector fell down from about 6 feet...
The results: the projector still works, but the image is distorted - it is composed of three images (red, green, blue) which don't fit with each other.

I've took the projector to the lab at my home country (no warranty). They've said the "optical mechanism" needs to be replaced. The suggested price is about 450$...

Can anyone suggest a "do-it-yourself" approach? maybe a service manual and a link to an online store to purchase replacement parts?

Thanks!
Assaf

1. Call Espon and see how much it would cost to repair it.
2. Buy a used one off ebay for cheap.

*Not sure about were you live but the 8350 has a 2 year warranty.
post #6780 of 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

1. Call Espon and see how much it would cost to repair it.
2. Buy a used one off ebay for cheap.

*Not sure about were you live but the 8350 has a 2 year warranty.

that doesn't cover accidental drops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread