Originally Posted by Pyrex238
I've read the last few pages of the thread, it seems a lot of you are upset with your 8350's? I'm concerned because I'm about to upgrade from my Optoma HD70, and I've been interested in the 8350 because it doesn't have a color wheel (which I had to replaced on my HD70). How happy is everyone with their 8350, and if not - which projector do you guys recommend? Many of the projector reviews I can find are outdated.
Just back from a 2500 mile driving stint over 2 days time (...don't ask...
) and I find the last 4 posts waiting. It's both a refreshing change and a good testimonial for the 8350's potential.
Adding my own wholly unbiased observations over the course of having installed 20+ 8350's in a wide variety of situations, I have to say that in all of those circumstances:
1. I never had a "Bad out of the Box" unit. (...of course they were all New, not Refurbs....)
2. I've never had a premature Lamp failure (shortest time...1875 hrs and it was replaced at N/C )
3. I have "NEVER" received a unit that was more than 1 Pixel off alignment, and several were absolutely perfect.
4. I have never had one with a noticeably loud Auto Iris.
5. I have never received a Unit with a pre-existing "Dust Blob".
6. I have never received a Unit will any Color hazing issues, or Vertical / Horizontal lins
7. 3 installations involved loosening of Lens Shift positioning because of excessive Bass or Ceiling Speaker resonance.
8. 2 units had HDMI 1 stop working after a couple hundred hours (...probable cause was Current surge through Receiver/Cable Box...) so both simply switched to HDMI2. They will be sent in for repair / replacement before warranty expires.
9. 1 Unit was rendered inoperable by a House lightning strike. 2 Months prior to Warranty exp. date. Returned and replaced with a perfect Re-Furb w/New Lamp.
10. I have become very confident when choosing the 8350 in/for circumstances that call for what it delivers at the Price it commands.
All that being said, I want to stress that even with me being the Thread Starter, I hold no bias or Fan Boy status over/on the 8350. What counts for me is my own experience, and my having read every single post on this Thread, which allows me to say with confidence.that the ratio of satisfied (ie:almost giddy...) End Users is at least 100:1. The truth is, with the sheer amount of units now out there, and the presence of this thread on the World Largest (...and most visited...) A/V Forum, a disproportionate number of complaints to those who are satisfied are what get most the press. Understandable since the ire dissatisfaction generates tends to drive people to action more quickly than does one finding motivation to get up from the Chair, turn off the Projector, and post up how glorious their viewing experience is.
For those who have had repeated instances of despair involving multiple returns / replacements with little or no resolution, I say this with all sincerity. My heart does pain for all you all. Knowing how good something is only means something to those who have had that experience, For everyone who tries and dies...it's a bitter pill indeed.
As comparison, and to show how PJ issues can plague even me....I've installed 4 JVC X3s over a 14 month period. All have been replaced at least 2x each (one 4xs) for mechanical / Software issues, and between them all, a total of 11 Lamp replacements ( PJ to Lamp = 3 x 2 - 1 x 1 - 1 x 4 ) have occurred.
As such, I don't use JVC's anymore.
Worse...I can say without pause that I "WAS"
a JVC Fan Boy before.....