or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 251

post #7501 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

From what I understand the warranty does not transfer. I may be wrong.

He never registered it, that was the first thing I did. So far, so good.
post #7502 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Hey! No fair  smile.gif

Man, talk about being at the right place at the right time ... well done.

Thanks, It was a very good deal. I bought a JVC X3 3 months ago and I already have more hrs on the Epson. Gaming and TV are great.
post #7503 of 8634
I have the same issue it has happend now about 3 times and when I contacted EPSON they said the same and sent me out a replacement unit. I asked them is it a brand new unit and the support guy said it is a replacement after asking him the question in more detail he said yes it could be a refurb. I just received it but I am reluctant to change it because I don't now what other issues I might have with a reburb unit. Now he did say that a brand new buld and if there are any issues send it back and they will send another unit out. The warranty from EPSON covers 2 years from your original purchase.
post #7504 of 8634
I'm looking to get a projector to hook up to a computer. Mainly PC gaming, Netflix/Hulu, downloaded movies and applications. I can potentially go up to 150" screen but have read that anything over 100" with this projector is going to be less than optimal. I have a substantial amount of control when it comes to lighting in the room.

Does anyone with the 8350 have any thoughts/experience on larger screens?
post #7505 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainshent View Post

I'm looking to get a projector to hook up to a computer. Mainly PC gaming, Netflix/Hulu, downloaded movies and applications. I can potentially go up to 150" screen but have read that anything over 100" with this projector is going to be less than optimal. I have a substantial amount of control when it comes to lighting in the room.
Does anyone with the 8350 have any thoughts/experience on larger screens?

Yeah...go for it. I personally have done up to 165: diagonal and it's a stupendous image w/ 1080p BluRay and 1080i HiDef.

Whoever said that the 8350 could not do over 100" well was...... rolleyes.gif ....well let's leave it at this...he was less than well informed.

BTW, the 8350 has one of the lowest Lag Time factors of any PJ in existence....so gaming performance is impeccable.
post #7506 of 8634
So I cut the cord a few weeks back which I am ver happy about. My tv's are able to get 10-12 HD channels through my coaxial but my dilemma is nothing in the basement that will allow me to watch football on my Projector. Has anyone bought a Laptop Video card http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10810&cs_id=1081002&p_id=6151&seq=1&format=2 and hooked

What I am thinking is to buy this and hook my laptop up to my onkyo receiver via VGA (I know not the best) which will allow me to watch regular TV boradcasts....seems like a nuch cheaper way then buying a cable box as the receiver...

Thanks in advance.
post #7507 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainshent View Post

I'm looking to get a projector to hook up to a computer. Mainly PC gaming, Netflix/Hulu, downloaded movies and applications. I can potentially go up to 150" screen but have read that anything over 100" with this projector is going to be less than optimal. I have a substantial amount of control when it comes to lighting in the room.
Does anyone with the 8350 have any thoughts/experience on larger screens?

I am running mine to a 135" Visual Apex fixed screen and the image is spectacular, even on eco setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

So I cut the cord a few weeks back which I am ver happy about. My tv's are able to get 10-12 HD channels through my coaxial but my dilemma is nothing in the basement that will allow me to watch football on my Projector. Has anyone bought a Laptop Video card http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10810&cs_id=1081002&p_id=6151&seq=1&format=2 and hooked
What I am thinking is to buy this and hook my laptop up to my onkyo receiver via VGA (I know not the best) which will allow me to watch regular TV boradcasts....seems like a nuch cheaper way then buying a cable box as the receiver...
Thanks in advance.

I'm doing the same thing. I put a Hauppage twin tuner card in my PC and hooked it up to a Mohu Leaf Plus antenna and its a beautiful combination. Read (and believe!) the reviews on Amazon about this 'paper' antenna. You just stick the thing on the wall behind your PC and watch the channels flow in, truly amazing. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Plus-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B006GQIIEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
post #7508 of 8634
This leaf+ item sounds interesting, can I know more about it. PM if need be.
post #7509 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon View Post

I am running mine to a 135" Visual Apex fixed screen and the image is spectacular, even on eco setting.
I'm doing the same thing. I put a Hauppage twin tuner card in my PC and hooked it up to a Mohu Leaf Plus antenna and its a beautiful combination. Read (and believe!) the reviews on Amazon about this 'paper' antenna. You just stick the thing on the wall behind your PC and watch the channels flow in, truly amazing. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Leaf-Plus-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B006GQIIEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

How are you making the connection of your PC to your receiver or projector? VGA? I have seen the Hauppage tuner for $75ish but have also seen others for half the price, wondering if there is a real difference?
post #7510 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Yeah...go for it. I personally have done up to 165: diagonal and it's a stupendous image w/ 1080p BluRay and 1080i HiDef.
Whoever said that the 8350 could not do over 100" well was...... rolleyes.gif ....well let's leave it at this...he was less than well informed.
BTW, the 8350 has one of the lowest Lag Time factors of any PJ in existence....so gaming performance is impeccable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon View Post

I am running mine to a 135" Visual Apex fixed screen and the image is spectacular, even on eco setting.
/dp/B006GQIIEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's awesome, you guys just made my day. The lag or lack there of, I should say, was one of the main deciding factors on the 8350. HERE is the link to the review site that claimed the 100" maximum screen size.

"Dynamic is the preset to use in a bright room, as it produces the highest lumen output - 1507 lumens on our test sample. While this is a slight decrease from the Home Cinema 8100 which measured in the mid 1700s, it is still plenty of light for a room with a couple of small windows or table lamps. In this environment, a 100" diagonal image is probably the maximum you will want to consider--anything larger can make the picture appear too dim."

Don't know, perhaps I'm just misunderstanding something ......


~Ainshent
post #7511 of 8634
Yep, I was the problem with the article. Further into the article it states this ....

"Next up is Living Room. While the Dynamic preset is brightest, it also has a subtle green cast. Living room has more accurate and life-like color, deeper black, and a picture that is overall more appropriate for high-quality film and video. Our test sample measured 951 lumens in this mode. If you have a viewing room with some ambient light, such as a set of curtains that aren't quite opaque, Living Room is perfect. In this sort of environment, a 100" to 120" diagonal image is easy, while larger diagonal images are possible with better light control."

I somehow managed to miss that ever so important point.

~Ainshent
post #7512 of 8634
so for the Epson 8350 is the warranty transferable incase someone buys one used? Also, for a new unit is the warranty on the lamp just for 90 days or for the whole 2 years? i called Epson and the sales rep stated its just for 90 days, is this correct?
post #7513 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

How are you making the connection of your PC to your receiver or projector? VGA? I have seen the Hauppage tuner for $75ish but have also seen others for half the price, wondering if there is a real difference?

I have the leaf feeding my Hauppage card. I watch and record the shows via Windows Media Center (twin tuner recognized, nice!) which feeds my Pioneer VSX-33 receiver (HDMI) and that in turn is hooked to my Epson PJ (HDMI).

1080P TV, Dolby Digital shows for free (including DVR) = biggrin.gif The Giants game last night was spectacular.
post #7514 of 8634
Thanks to this thread, I got convinced to buy this Projector for my home theater. I used to have a Benq earlier. Picked up an Open box from Bestbuy yesterday for a good deal and added 4 yr warranty to it. The sales person said it was returned by a customer without any use the same day he bought it...I trusted him and bought it. It looks like a great unit so far. No convergence issues.

I managed to see the Service Menu. What is confusing is I see the Bulb replacement as 1. Is this on a 2nd bulb or 1st bulb. Some of you guys who are 100% sure that you are in the 1st bulb could you please check and let me know. If its on a 2nd bulb, I might have to return it or talk to BB about it. However, I doubt it went to a 2nd bulb in just 4 hrs.

To access Service Menu..please follow this. Keep trying and eventually you will get it. I may have repeated these steps atleast 5 times.
Sequence of pressing:
MENU - keep more than 5 seconds
ESC
ESC
Right
Left

Thanks.

post #7515 of 8634
I tried the service menu access recommended about 20 times with no luck at all.

If I press and hold "menu" it alternates between user menu displayed and not displayed. Is this what you see before hitting "esc?" Do you keep holding menu after 5 sec? Do you hit "esc" while the user menu is displayed or when it goes away? I might be missing the magic timing.
post #7516 of 8634
Thanks for trying. Yes, after holding the Menu button for more than 5 seconds and releasing it, you have to press Esc button twice and then Right button and Left button..
Release the Menu button before pressing the ESC button. At this time the Menu on the screen displayed will disappear and its Ok. Btw, holding the Menu button for a long time does not alternate the menu display from displayed to not displayed for me.

1st time to get this menu, I had to do the procedure like 5 times. 2nd time I tried, it came in 2 attempts. So, there might be some magic timing to do this smile.gif
post #7517 of 8634
ive been looking to get an epson 8350 but how does this compare to the epson 8500 and 8700? I see that the 8500 is older and may have better blacks and would be ideal for a dedicated HT room. It looks like these are discontinued but you can get them used or refurbished from some places.


what are your thoughts on these? i appreciate the information and feedback. im looking to pull the trigger by black friday.


thanks
post #7518 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

ive been looking to get an epson 8350 but how does this compare to the epson 8500 and 8700? I see that the 8500 is older and may have better blacks and would be ideal for a dedicated HT room. It looks like these are discontinued but you can get them used or refurbished from some places.
what are your thoughts on these? i appreciate the information and feedback. im looking to pull the trigger by black friday.
thanks

If you can get a 8700 refurbed w/full warranty....do so. Otherwise....get a .ew 8350
post #7519 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainshent View Post

I'm looking to get a projector to hook up to a computer. Mainly PC gaming, Netflix/Hulu, downloaded movies and applications. I can potentially go up to 150" screen but have read that anything over 100" with this projector is going to be less than optimal. I have a substantial amount of control when it comes to lighting in the room.
Does anyone with the 8350 have any thoughts/experience on larger screens?
FWIW, I've got pretty poor light control (currently) so I don't watch movies during the day, but I can watch football or most TV shows with it set to Living Room mode (brighter bulb) during the day.

My screen is effectively a 133" diagonal screen (it's actually a custom-made Da-Lite High-Power 116" wide by 49.5" high 2.35:1 scope format, but when I'm filling it up when watching a 2.35:1 movie, the PQ and brightness level is equivalent to what it would be if I was projecting it onto a 133" diagonal 16:9 screen). When watching movies like that at night, it looks beautiful and is not lacking in lumens, IMO. And that's running in ECO mode (lower lumens).

So, if you've got good light control and ideally have non-white walls, I think you can definitely go quite big with this.
post #7520 of 8634
Are there any 8350 owners using a Darbee Darblet? If so, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
post #7521 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by manvik View Post

Thanks for trying. Yes, after holding the Menu button for more than 5 seconds and releasing it, you have to press Esc button twice and then Right button and Left button..
Release the Menu button before pressing the ESC button. At this time the Menu on the screen displayed will disappear and its Ok. Btw, holding the Menu button for a long time does not alternate the menu display from displayed to not displayed for me.
1st time to get this menu, I had to do the procedure like 5 times. 2nd time I tried, it came in 2 attempts. So, there might be some magic timing to do this smile.gif

I finally got it to work. Oddly, the screen would alternate on/off if I bounced the remote beam off my screen, but not if I point the remote right at the projector!

It looks like some basic logs, with counts for power ups, cool-downs, and errors across four pages scrolled with the right/left keys.

Is there deeper access? That is, service-level *adjustments* to dial in the color gamut more accurately? The user menu RGBCYM doesn't have enough range to pull the green primary in from its oversaturated state.
post #7522 of 8634
@TrekFx - Are you in your 1st bulb. What value do you see for 'Lamp Replacement'. Mine shows as 1. As mine is an open box, I want to know if it is in its 1st bulb or has it been replaced once.
post #7523 of 8634
Anyone able to help me with what you value you have for the Lamp Replacement in the Service menu especially if you are still in your 1st bulb.
I got a open box item from Bestbuy and want to make sure it has had no major issues. As of now I am happy with it. I also bought the 4yr warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manvik View Post

Thanks to this thread, I got convinced to buy this Projector for my home theater. I used to have a Benq earlier. Picked up an Open box from Bestbuy yesterday for a good deal and added 4 yr warranty to it. The sales person said it was returned by a customer without any use the same day he bought it...I trusted him and bought it. It looks like a great unit so far. No convergence issues.
I managed to see the Service Menu. What is confusing is I see the Bulb replacement as 1. Is this on a 2nd bulb or 1st bulb. Some of you guys who are 100% sure that you are in the 1st bulb could you please check and let me know. If its on a 2nd bulb, I might have to return it or talk to BB about it. However, I doubt it went to a 2nd bulb in just 4 hrs.
To access Service Menu..please follow this. Keep trying and eventually you will get it. I may have repeated these steps atleast 5 times.
Sequence of pressing:
MENU - keep more than 5 seconds
ESC
ESC
Right
Left
Thanks.
post #7524 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by manvik View Post

Anyone able to help me with what you value you have for the Lamp Replacement in the Service menu especially if you are still in your 1st bulb.
I got a open box item from Bestbuy and want to make sure it has had no major issues. As of now I am happy with it. I also bought the 4yr warranty.
Thanks in advance.

I have a 8350 with under 200 hours on it.am on 1st bulb. the service menu shows 0
milt
post #7525 of 8634
Hey guys I bought this projector and have it in my bed room temporarily until I can get a bigger space for it...

I currently have it around 9.4" away from lens to the wall and the picture is 48" diagonal. Shouldn't it be bigger than that?

I read this in the description:
Displays an 80" widescreen image from just 8' away or a 120" image from 12' away.

Thanks
post #7526 of 8634
On the lens barrel, the outermost ring is focus. Next one in is zoom. Turn THAT one to expand image. You may need to re-focus after.
post #7527 of 8634
@milt9 - Thank you for providing the info,

So, it looks like mine was replaced. Though it was an open box, it has all the original packing and all accessories in it original cover. Total operating time is just 4 hours. Does this get reset when you put a new bulb - like total operating time, number of times on/off, etc.
Wondering why the bulb was replaced:eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt9 View Post

I have a 8350 with under 200 hours on it.am on 1st bulb. the service menu shows 0
milt
post #7528 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekFX View Post

On the lens barrel, the outermost ring is focus. Next one in is zoom. Turn THAT one to expand image. You may need to re-focus after.

Wow......the things you learn on AVS!

biggrin.gif

TrexFX......you da Man! Personally speaking, you handled that better than I woulda.
I woulda ribbed nitetmare004 a bit fur shur.

Oh yeah....nitemare004, Welcome to AVS!
Don't forget to set the timer on the Projector so the coffee is ready when you wake up.
Just wait until you see what's on the "Menu"! wink.gif
post #7529 of 8634
LOL so there are two rings? I didn't even realize, now I feel dumb. Here I am thinking the only way to adjust it is placement of the projector.
Gonna check it out when I get home

Thanks!

Loving the projector by the way even in my small bedroom, it could be better with TV but it's awesome with movies. Watched MIB3 on it biggrin.gif
Wish I had bluray.
Edited by nitemare004 - 11/6/12 at 6:53am
post #7530 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemare004 View Post

LOL so there are two rings? I didn't even realize, now I feel dumb. Here I am thinking the only way to adjust it is placement of the projector.
Gonna check it out when I get home
Thanks!

Don't feel dumb. I'm sure lots of other people don't bother to read the manual that comes with the projector, before they decide to turn it on.

BTW.... how was the coffee this morning?

(....I'm still having fun with this one....)

So ok...... if you decide you want a great but inexpensive Screen to match up with that projector, come over to the DIY Screen Forum. Lots & lots of great ideas over there for you to consider, and I promise no one over there will have fun at your expense. We will teach you everything you need to know,.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread