or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 252

post #7531 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemare004 View Post

LOL so there are two rings? I didn't even realize, now I feel dumb. Here I am thinking the only way to adjust it is placement of the projector.
Gonna check it out when I get home
Thanks!
Loving the projector by the way even in my small bedroom, it could be better with TV but it's awesome with movies. Watched MIB3 on it biggrin.gif
Wish I had bluray.

Ah you really need to find some HD sources if you enjoy the projector.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it with DVD's etc. however the bigger you make the image the more you start to notice the sub-HD content.

Just a heads up so when you go home and and increase the size, if it looks a bit "soft" that would be the primary reason.
post #7532 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitemare004 View Post

LOL so there are two rings? I didn't even realize, now I feel dumb. Here I am thinking the only way to adjust it is placement of the projector.
Gonna check it out when I get home
Thanks!
Loving the projector by the way even in my small bedroom, it could be better with TV but it's awesome with movies. Watched MIB3 on it biggrin.gif
Wish I had bluray.

Just want to be sure you're doing this right!

I got concerned when you mentioned "only way....placement." When you aim, are you tilting the whole projector up/down/left/right? Or are you keeping the projector squared-away horizontal and vertical and using the lens shift adjustments (which is the proper way)? Just checkin'!

You can get into blu-ray for $100 or so if you shop around , or grab an open-box somewhere. That can get you a respectable Panasonic or other basic but strong-performing player.
post #7533 of 8634
I know this gets asked about 3 times a week, but as a complete amateur just need some help.

Just bought a home and have a big 18 x 18 room in the basement which will be a semi dedicated theatre room ( bar in the corner which extends beyond the room, you have to have a bar right!).

Throw distance is an estimated 13 ft, give or take, low ceiling about 8 ft. I have my heart set on a nice 8350 with some sound.

I am looking to go ceiling mount on this as I had my wiring put in to 5.1 when they finished the basement.

I am not looking for anything over the top, just a solid setup which will be great for ball games and sporadic gaming.

I am getting pushed many different directions by my friends who are amateurs so I have a list of questions below, any help is really, REALLY appreciated.

1. Should I even go projector?
2. If so, is 8350 a good choice for this? (the room is light controlled)
3. What kind of sound might work best? I have been pushed for in ceiling sound and in wall sound.
4. Should I let amateur friends deal with this or hire it?
5. Screen and screen size?
6. Anything I have not thought of?

Any advice that can be offered would be great, flying blind here and just needs some starting points before I tear up my basement and cause some problems.

Budget is open by the way as I have a little $ to throw around but don't want to get crazy (keep it under $3000) if possible.

Thanks in advance folks!

Dustin
post #7534 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr0114 View Post

I know this gets asked about 3 times a week, but as a complete amateur just need some help.
Just bought a home and have a big 18 x 18 room in the basement which will be a semi dedicated theatre room ( bar in the corner which extends beyond the room, you have to have a bar right!).
Throw distance is an estimated 13 ft, give or take, low ceiling about 8 ft. I have my heart set on a nice 8350 with some sound.
I am looking to go ceiling mount on this as I had my wiring put in to 5.1 when they finished the basement.
I am not looking for anything over the top, just a solid setup which will be great for ball games and sporadic gaming.
I am getting pushed many different directions by my friends who are amateurs so I have a list of questions below, any help is really, REALLY appreciated.
1. Should I even go projector?
2. If so, is 8350 a good choice for this? (the room is light controlled)
3. What kind of sound might work best? I have been pushed for in ceiling sound and in wall sound.
4. Should I let amateur friends deal with this or hire it?
5. Screen and screen size?
6. Anything I have not thought of?
Any advice that can be offered would be great, flying blind here and just needs some starting points before I tear up my basement and cause some problems.
Budget is open by the way as I have a little $ to throw around but don't want to get crazy (keep it under $3000) if possible.
Thanks in advance folks!
Dustin

1. yes ... what else ? Large plasma or LCD (240hz) is even more ... Plus, they can't touch projector screen sizes.

2. yes

3. See my setup. External speakers are better I think (cheaper, less work, upgradable, re-config-able, sound better, handle more power, better selection, etc.). Get a Sub too.

4. Your choice. If you have more money than time, hire a pro.

5. As big as possible (with room for center channel below). Use calculator at epson.com .  Budget screens are cheap. White or beige wall works too.

6. Buy at BestBuy and take it back if you don't like it.

 

You could do my setup for under $3000 with a budget screen (and no plasma or HTPC). Not sure about gaming (I have run games on my HTPC ... but I'd rather game on desk PC) but for sports and movies, you really can't beat a projector. Run one more speaker wire to back of room (opposite the Center) for 6.1 in Blu-Ray movies (or run 2 for 7.1). For a room that big, I wouldn't go much smaller than what I have (amp and speakers) ... but I'm into movies and live concerts.


Edited by Tesla1856 - 11/7/12 at 7:17pm
post #7535 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr0114 View Post

I know this gets asked about 3 times a week, but as a complete amateur just need some help.
Just bought a home and have a big 18 x 18 room in the basement which will be a semi dedicated theatre room ( bar in the corner which extends beyond the room, you have to have a bar right!).
Throw distance is an estimated 13 ft, give or take, low ceiling about 8 ft. I have my heart set on a nice 8350 with some sound.
I am looking to go ceiling mount on this as I had my wiring put in to 5.1 when they finished the basement.
I am not looking for anything over the top, just a solid setup which will be great for ball games and sporadic gaming.
I am getting pushed many different directions by my friends who are amateurs so I have a list of questions below, any help is really, REALLY appreciated.
1. Should I even go projector?
2. If so, is 8350 a good choice for this? (the room is light controlled)
3. What kind of sound might work best? I have been pushed for in ceiling sound and in wall sound.
4. Should I let amateur friends deal with this or hire it?
5. Screen and screen size?
6. Anything I have not thought of?
Any advice that can be offered would be great, flying blind here and just needs some starting points before I tear up my basement and cause some problems.
Budget is open by the way as I have a little $ to throw around but don't want to get crazy (keep it under $3000) if possible.
Thanks in advance folks!
Dustin
Quote:

pm me. I just finished my room on a $3 k budget
post #7536 of 8634
OK, Just got my 8350 setup yesterday. Looks FANTASTIC. Knowing the "issues" this projector has with it's bulb life I have set it to HIGH ALTITUDE mode even though I am in NY and only 200 feet above sea level and in ECO mode. I assume this just runs the fan harder and longer but I want to double check that I am not doing anything to jeopardize my new baby. If being slightly louder is the only consequence I can live with that easily.
post #7537 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekFX View Post

Just want to be sure you're doing this right!
I got concerned when you mentioned "only way....placement." When you aim, are you tilting the whole projector up/down/left/right? Or are you keeping the projector squared-away horizontal and vertical and using the lens shift adjustments (which is the proper way)? Just checkin'!
You can get into blu-ray for $100 or so if you shop around , or grab an open-box somewhere. That can get you a respectable Panasonic or other basic but strong-performing player.

lol Yeah I have an extension coming from the ceiling to make it point straight at the wall. I've tried it slanted down before, that picture wasn't quite as nice looking, I'm not sure how people get away with that.

I will be looking to buy a house with the appropriate size room, I'd like a 135" screen to fit if possible, what size room should I be looking at? It seems they are normally around 13' x 16' rooms. Longer would be nice to get that theater feel. I've been thinking I may have to get a house built to get what I want.
post #7538 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

So I cut the cord a few weeks back which I am ver happy about. My tv's are able to get 10-12 HD channels through my coaxial but my dilemma is nothing in the basement that will allow me to watch football on my Projector. Has anyone bought a Laptop Video card http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10810&cs_id=1081002&p_id=6151&seq=1&format=2 and hooked
What I am thinking is to buy this and hook my laptop up to my onkyo receiver via VGA (I know not the best) which will allow me to watch regular TV boradcasts....seems like a nuch cheaper way then buying a cable box as the receiver...
Thanks in advance.

I have an AverMedia TV Express Mini in my thinkpad. It is an ExpressCard HDTV tuner that I just plug an antenna into. I run it thorough Win 7 Media Center.
post #7539 of 8634
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a projector in the next 2 weeks. I am just waiting for the black Friday/cyber Monday deals to see if I can catch a steal. I am trying to decide between the Epson 8350 or the 3020. I know that the 8350 has more lens shift but I don't think this will be an issue in my setup so I can live with that shortcoming on the 3020. The 3020 will obviously be much brighter (at least from the specs) and this is also important since I will be lighting a 125" screen, plus it will also do 3D which is a bonus since I am not necessarily looking for that.

I guess what I want to know from others out there is if the 3020 is a better projector or if the 2+ year old 8350 is still the better choice? Will blacks be better on one over the other or will they be just the same? I'm trying to make this final decision and I just don't want to regret anything. The 8350 will obviously be cheaper no matter what but the price difference is not that great between them when comparing new units. Here is Canada I can get the 8350 refurbished at $999 with full 2 year warranty so I will see what the BF deals have to offer to better that price.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with these 2 projectors and can guide me in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #7540 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

1. yes ... what else ? Large plasma or LCD (240hz) is even more ... Plus, they can't touch projector screen sizes.
2. yes
3. See my setup. External speakers are better I think (cheaper, less work, upgradable, re-config-able, sound better, handle more power, better selection, etc.). Get a Sub too.
4. Your choice. If you have more money than time, hire a pro.
5. As big as possible (with room for center channel below). Use calculator at epson.com .  Budget screens are cheap. White or beige wall works too.
6. Buy at BestBuy and take it back if you don't like it.

You could do my setup for under $3000 with a budget screen (and no plasma or HTPC). Not sure about gaming (I have run games on my HTPC ... but I'd rather game on desk PC) but for sports and movies, you really can't beat a projector. Run one more speaker wire to back of room (opposite the Center) for 6.1 in Blu-Ray movies (or run 2 for 7.1). For a room that big, I wouldn't go much smaller than what I have (amp and speakers) ... but I'm into movies and live concerts.

Great stuff Tesla. Appreciate the feedback and advice.

Yea, on the #4, I have friends that have done setups in the past and things like that, but you always get reluctant when it comes to friends doing some of this.

Really appreciate the advice, now to start gathering the components.

Thanks,
Dustin
post #7541 of 8634
what is the best all around recommended screen to compliment the epson 8350? for people with budget of up to 750 or so? I'm looking for a 120" fixed frame screen in a room that has some ambient light but can be light controlled and the projector will be around 13 feet or so from the screen. I dont need one that is AT.

THANKS
post #7542 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

what is the best all around recommended screen to compliment the epson 8350? for people with budget of up to 750 or so? I'm looking for a 120" fixed frame screen in a room that has some ambient light but can be light controlled and the projector will be around 13 feet or so from the screen. I dont need one that is AT.
THANKS


if you have the gumption, you can make a $ 3000+ screen ideally suited to the 8350.....................

.........................................for less than $ 200

A screen comparable to any $700 Fixed screen @ 120 " diagonal? $130

http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section

We help Members do it everyday.
post #7543 of 8634
Okay, I have my components in order except for the last one...the screen.

I do have a little more money than time. So I need a decent screen, not top of the line, but something decent.

I am throwing somewhere around 13 ft. Jamestown screens look good, does anyone have suggestions or can point me in a direction?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin:cool:
post #7544 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr0114 View Post

Okay, I have my components in order except for the last one...the screen.
I do have a little more money than time. So I need a decent screen, not top of the line, but something decent.
I am throwing somewhere around 13 ft. Jamestown screens look good, does anyone have suggestions or can point me in a direction?
Thanks in advance!
Dustin:cool:

Look at www.carada.com nice screens for a good price. I picked up a 96 fixed for 640
post #7545 of 8634
Quick question - what does auto-iris do for me? And am I at risk of having it break by using it? I've read reviews that state it's a common malfunction on this projector and I'd rather not use it and extend the life of the unit overall.
post #7546 of 8634
Also, is it common for a DLP to have a better resolution/picture than this LCD? I just got rid of an Optoma HD23 in exchange for this because it had such bad RBE I thought I was watching Skittles commercials...but I do have to say that the motion was more fluid and the picture seemed more detailed and clear than on this 8350 (at first glance - haven't done too much testing). Regardless, at least this unit is tolerable to watch. The HD23 is a paperweight in my opinion because of such terrible RBE.
post #7547 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr0114 View Post

Okay, I have my components in order except for the last one...the screen.
I do have a little more money than time. So I need a decent screen, not top of the line, but something decent.
I am throwing somewhere around 13 ft. Jamestown screens look good, does anyone have suggestions or can point me in a direction?
Thanks in advance!
Dustin:cool:

I'm running the Visual Apex 135" screen and love it. Very nice quality for the $
http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-Screens/Projector_Screen_Details.asp?chPartNumber=VAPEX9135
post #7548 of 8634
sorry remove this <<
post #7549 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGoGetter View Post

Also, is it common for a DLP to have a better resolution/picture than this LCD? I just got rid of an Optoma HD23 in exchange for this because it had such bad RBE I thought I was watching Skittles commercials...but I do have to say that the motion was more fluid and the picture seemed more detailed and clear than on this 8350 (at first glance - haven't done too much testing). Regardless, at least this unit is tolerable to watch. The HD23 is a paperweight in my opinion because of such terrible RBE.

The difference between the two has much to do with how the image is presented....not actual resolution.

"Affordable" DLPs are by & large 1 Chip affairs, and the resolution being shown doesn't require the blending of the three separate R-B-G panels of LCD units. Even so....many LCD PJs own no remorse as far as their performance because they have better Panel configuration than that of lessor models.

Contrast is also a strong suit of DLPs...when it's at least measurably commensurate to a LCD with decent specs. Once again...it's all about there only being a single Panel to deal with, and subsequently less chance of light leakage. However...the same design limits Dynamic Contrast on DLPs...while vastly improved Panel design on some LCDs / LyCos PJs achieve Dynamic Contrast ratios in excess of 500,000:1

Lastly, DLPs do usually have better "Speeds" as far as reaction (lag) times when processing variable signals. But certainly not all....nor do most LCD of any real worth fail to deliver exceptional performance. The 8350 is widely acknowledges as being a superb Gaming machine...and only a very few DLPs can even come close, let alone surpass it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGoGetter View Post

Quick question - what does auto-iris do for me? And am I at risk of having it break by using it? I've read reviews that state it's a common malfunction on this projector and I'd rather not use it and extend the life of the unit overall.

Auto Iris adjusts the aperture of the Lens, either attenuating or increasing light output dependent upon the room's lighting conditions. When it does it's job...and does so silently...it's a valuable feature to avail one's self of. However, with a PJ like the 8350, a proper selection of Screen (High Contrast Gray w/1.0+ gain) can easily do the same thing, and eliminate the need for such assist.
post #7550 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr0114 View Post

Okay, I have my components in order except for the last one...the screen.
I do have a little more money than time. So I need a decent screen, not top of the line, but something decent.
I am throwing somewhere around 13 ft. Jamestown screens look good, does anyone have suggestions or can point me in a direction?
Thanks in advance!
Dustin:cool:

Make a excellent Screen for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section
post #7551 of 8634
I tel you what what this thread saves my a$$ at every turn between Mississippi and Schantz...thanks gents.

Dustin
post #7552 of 8634
I'm looking to pick up a screen in a large open room with some ambient light for the 8350. distance from the PJ to the wall is about 13-14 feet. I am considering a visual apex screen and want to go at least 120". What other budget screens do you guys recommend. the visual apex screen has a gain of 1.1. are there any grey budget screens? anyone know of any specials going on for screens during the holidays i know visual apex has a sale going on.

let me know if you need any other info from me to help choose a screen.

thanks,
post #7553 of 8634
btw i wanted to mention im looking into Jamestown, Visual Apex, and HT Depot Focupix screens fixed screens.

Let me know which has the best quality and will compliment the 8350. I'm uncertain if I need to go with a white or grey screen.
post #7554 of 8634
Thread Starter 
At 120" diagonal, and having ambient light issues to deal with, a Gray screen is imperative. The 8350 is fully capable of supplying enough lumen output in Normal Lamp / Living Room Mode, but without a screen with a Gray surface & 1.0+ gain, even the 8350 cannot deliver an image that will truly satisfy.

Even a really High Gain white surface won't getter dun. Colors might shine through (but still not have real depth and saturation) but blacks will suffer badly if ambient light strikes the screen in any way.

Proper Lighting design and room colors can go very far toward helping to mitigate ambient light as well as the reflections from Projected light. But the screen is / will be the biggest factor.

As such....it's unfortunate but that there are no really "budget-oriented" Fixed Mfg. Gray Screens. Usually such "High Contrast Grays" come in at a higher cost than their Matte White counterparts....no matter who the Mfg. is. And Fixed Screens are, to the surprise of many, usually the most expensive...more so than Electric. And even sadder, there are extremely few Electrics that offer up a High Contrast Gray.

Focupix has perhaps the least expensive High Contrast Gray Screens.

a 125" er "Fixed"
http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Widescreen_Fixed_Frame_Screen_125_p/ff169lt-120gy.htm

a 120" Electric
http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Projector_Screens_from_100_to_120_in_diagonal_s/38.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=38&f-16:9%20Widescreen=9&show=300&page=1&f-High%20Contrast%20Grey=96

Then there is Elite's 120" offering:
http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-Screens/Projector_Screen_Details.asp?chPartNumber=R120H1&AR=HT

When you check the prices of those, you'll find that from there everything just goes higher....but the same Model / Type / Fabric restrictions apply.

Then of course, there remains the known issues of Waves....Wrinkles....and irreparable Damage that is not a warranty covered item.

Can there be any wonder that after just 6 months ( in 2002 )of trying to insert Mfg Screens into my Theater installations, I fled onto AVS and devoured all i could read and learn about DIY-ing my Screens? Back then, for many who advocated Mfg Screens, DIY was a curse word. But the facts bore out that virtually every Mfg Screen could be duplicated via DIY methods, and done for considerably less. Fixed Screens especially. But Retracables...we get'tem painted on as well.

Some comment how they cannot DIY waxing their Car let alone building a Screen....others are more direct and say they will pay 10x as much for a Mfg product rather that go through the "DIY" hassle.

I myself have painted 122" to 185" screens directly onto Drywall / smooth Substrates, used the 8350 / 8500 / 8700 / 9350 / 5010-6010 PJs and gotten spectacular results....with far more ambient light presence than most would ever experience. And perhaps just a few other hundreds of DIY'ers have followed suit on my examples. But most importantly, the biggest version cost no more than $240.00 to build....and far less if Drywall was the substrate.

That doesn't mean that I totally abstain from using a Mfg Screen. But when I do it's because the situation REQUIRES a "Retractable Screen" and then the ONLY ones I use are Focupix "Tab Tensioned" varieties (1.4 gain White) and I ALWAYS spray on a high performance 1.3 Gain Gray surface on 'em.

Now that's me....and those who need / want to follow suit and get all they expect and more for a lot less than they expected.

Such decisions are left to the individual to make. Research can help loads as far as getting well informed enough to make an informed choice. But one DOES have to fully understand ALL the criteria that needs to be considered when balancing a PJ's performance against the chosen Screen surface, and how both react to / handle Room conditions.

That can be all a bit too much for any who are not wholly devoted to the task of learning. So many will ask for opinions....and on these Forums they certainly can & will get'tem. But unless those opinions are based on varied and complete knowledge, and take into consideration all the know facts and criteria....they remain just that....personal opinions based on one's individual experience (...mostly the "one time" type...). Since it's almost impossible for any two installations to be identical, the variable "mileage" can be quite different. And is the nature of purchasing any Mfg Screen, once a decision is made and you take delivery....that's it. Iffin' it don't work...and it's not "broke' upon delivery.....your screwed.

All this is meant to serve as a chance for you to consider all / every option. If one is on a budget....that is all the more important a factor.

The ""Screens" and "DIY Screens" Forums are the place to be asking your questions. Be forewarned....it can be a daunting task...a "Bleeding Eyes" ordeal that can turn your Brain into something less attractive and useful than week-old Road-kill. But in the end, if patience and prudence wins out, you should be able to claim success.

Then...after several months of recuperation in front of your spectacular Big Picture, you can lay claim to being one of the truly lucky ones.
post #7555 of 8634
Just purchased a used 8350 with 1007 hours on the lamp, just wondering how much light output has been lost over a new lamp? Projector was ran in cinema mode 95% of the time.
post #7556 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Probably 50% at minimum.

It is very much worth purchasing a new Lamp, installing that 1 immediately, and saving the old lamp as your "Emergancy Superbowl replacement" Lamp

Murphy's Law..... if your lamp is gonna go pop, you just know it's going to do it in the middle of the game.
post #7557 of 8634
Has anyone had their 8350 professionally calibrated? Was talking to someone who had there plasma TV done, and they were very happy with the results.
Considering the budget price of this projector, I am guessing it has not been done by very many people.

Have you had it done yourself, or have read of anyone doing it, and how good is the result? Sounds like it costs around $300 to get it done.
post #7558 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy View Post

Has anyone had their 8350 professionally calibrated? Was talking to someone who had there plasma TV done, and they were very happy with the results.
Considering the budget price of this projector, I am guessing it has not been done by very many people.
Have you had it done yourself, or have read of anyone doing it, and how good is the result? Sounds like it costs around $300 to get it done.

I actually just had mine done 2 weeks ago. For Silver reward zone members at Best Buy they will calibrate one item in the house for free once a year, so I jumped all over it. Long story short I am VERY pleased with it. Tech was very knowledgeable and very nice. All techs are certified by ISF ( I think that is it and not an in house Best Buy thing.
post #7559 of 8634
Thread Starter 
Black Friday at Fry's 8350 $799.00 !!!
post #7560 of 8634
So when it comes time to change the bulb, do I need to recalibrate the projector?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread