or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 255

post #7621 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by F12Bwth View Post

I made it. I have always tried to find useful patterns and my Photo skills are just high enough to make my own patterns. I may make an updated one with color gamma in it too.
http://i7.minus.com/ibsUcYZu3Zzkxl.png
http://i2.minus.com/iqQp2SJhL7nFT.png
http://i5.minus.com/iB1iHGt4hycFs.png
View all at 1:1 zoom
EDIT.. Third time asking. What does High Altitude mode do. I have it enabled even though I am NOT high Altitude.

It causes the fan to spin a little faster to keep the bulb cool. Many people keep in on even in low altitude areas to help prolong bulb life. I do not know if it makes a difference or not.
post #7622 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

It causes the fan to spin a little faster to keep the bulb cool. Many people keep in on even in low altitude areas to help prolong bulb life. I do not know if it makes a difference or not.

All I wanted to know, thanks. I think it may also increase the spin down time but I would need to test.
post #7623 of 8634
Any ideas on how to stop my lens shift from migrating daily?
post #7624 of 8634
Mine shifts with heavy bass so I use tape to keep it in place and it works great.
post #7625 of 8634
do you just tape the shift knobs or the lens focus/zoom ring?
post #7626 of 8634
On the up/down shift dial. The bass makes it "slip" downward, as much as a foot and a half on the screen. The tape keeps it from happening.
post #7627 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Any ideas on how to stop my lens shift from migrating daily?

A large rubber band, thick belt, maybe some rubber tubing with elastic inside.

post #7628 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

Any ideas on how to stop my lens shift from migrating daily?

Sorry, I thought you said focus ring .

 

Maybe a piece of rubber in the shape of a thick "T" wedged into the opening. Top of the T should keep it from accidentally falling inside (don't let that happen).

post #7629 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

On the up/down shift dial. The bass makes it "slip" downward, as much as a foot and a half on the screen. The tape keeps it from happening.

I will give that a go. Thanks
post #7630 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

Maybe a dumb question. I have the epson setup in a complete dark room. Projecting onto an Visual Apex screen. Anyone have good calibration numbers for this setup? I tried a calibration disc a few days ago but when doing the brightness setting I could not see that much of a difference. I want to see if I am close to what it should be.

Same question here except I will be using the gray spandex over white spandex combo.
post #7631 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

Same question here except I will be using the gray spandex over white spandex combo.

Not sure if just copying numbers is the best way to go about. Slight variations in manufacturing of the projector and screen, changes in screen size and gain, room color and distance and bulb life will affect the picture too much for that. I suggest getting the proper patterns and having at it on your lonesome. It took me 5 hours to finally settle on a calibration. But I have special concerns with my PC output having to be modified for my GDM-FW900 and clone mode takes the color gamma over to the secondary output. However my Cablevision box output also benefits from the adjustments I made so not sure why that is. All the pre-defined settings seem way off to my expectations.
post #7632 of 8634
I upgraded my husband to an 8350 from a 710HD recently and we're on our 4th unit now. We've had nothing but problems with the 8350. I'm hoping the 4th unit I get tomorrow will work fine. Each time the convergence issues have been worse. =(

I really want to like this model but all of these Epson problems is turning us off. Going to start looking for another make/model just in case.
post #7633 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by buc18 View Post

I have had my 8350 for a couple of months now and I have never experienced any issues with it until tonight. While watching a movie the picture kind of flashed to a full screen of "snow" and then the picture came back to normal. About an hour later it did the same thing as well as going to a completely black screen before returning to normal. I have an oppo 83 and an onkyo 605 with the HDMI running from the onkyo. Could it be some sort of hand shake issue. If so, why is it just showing up now? HDMI length is approx 25 feet. The 8350 replaced an HD70 Optoma. I never experienced this kind of issue with it. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a post I found on the Best Buy website that describes exactly what I have experienced. It happened initially when I first posted this and did not re-occur until last night for a very brief (maybe a few seconds) period. I am wondering if this is a HDMI hardware failure described below:


What's great about it: Picture
What's not so great: On the third one in 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did a lot of research before buying this epson projector. It does have a great picture when it works. I am on my second one sent to me by epson. I only had the first 8350 for a month before there was a "hardware failure" according to epson. The picture would just go to a white snow screen while viewing the movies. There was an issue with the hdmi inputs. I tried both inputs before trying another source, same problem.
Then epson did send me another unit. Granted it was not a new unit like I paid for at BestBuy, but a refurbished unit that was used and obviously someone else's old problem! Just like I figured the was something wrong with the refurb. The Image projected on the right of the screen especially when it had to project whites against a black background causes a white shadow effect that is very noticeable and washes out the color during normal scenes.
I am now getting a third 8350 from epson, which they gave me a harder time by the way on the customer service line to get, I hope this will be the last one.
So good luck and beware.


I am wondering if I should contact Epson about this and see what they say.
post #7634 of 8634
Hi try these settings for your grey spandex worked great for me. As always your room lighting etc... etc... make a huge difference but hey you can always set them up in a memory slot - nothing to lose .
I copied this from another forum - I didn't actually calibrate my 8350 . I do think these settings are the best pic I've gotten on my screen even after using spears & muncil etc... I DID CALIBRATE BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST after applying these ! !
Tom O.



Natural
Brightness -11
Contrast 8
Color Saturation 0
Tint -2
Sharpness Advanced (All 4 Settings) 0
Abs. Color Temp. 6500K
Skin Tone 0

Advanced...

Gamma Custom 0 -6 -7 -8 -7 -7 -7 -8 5

RGB
Offset R 6
Offset G 0
Offset B 23
Gain R -2
Gain G 0
Gain B -25

RGBCMY
R 0 -13 -7
G -37 -49 48
B -7 10 -6
C 0 -41 31
M -16 -9 -16
Y -3 -9 8

Power Consumption ECO
Auto Iris Normal

Signal [Advanced]
Noise Reduction Off
EPSON Super White Off
Overscan Off
HDMI Video Range Expanded
post #7635 of 8634
I have a fairly great pic. One Problem is i seem to have red faces. Any thing specific to try or change on my settings?
post #7636 of 8634
whats the fair price for a 1 year old epson 8350?
post #7637 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospitalhunny View Post

I upgraded my husband to an 8350 from a 710HD recently and we're on our 4th unit now. We've had nothing but problems with the 8350. I'm hoping the 4th unit I get tomorrow will work fine. Each time the convergence issues have been worse. =(
I really want to like this model but all of these Epson problems is turning us off. Going to start looking for another make/model just in case.

I have come to expect a bit of convergence issues with 3lcd

Here is what my 8350 looks like far left



Bottom



Image that was projected and zoomed to 1:1



The center is perfect and only the far outsides show these issues. You really don't notice it on anything but a calibration shot to check. Even text from a normal distance looks perfect.
post #7638 of 8634
That looks more like CA (chromatic aberration) than a convergence problem. CA is due to the lens rather than misalignment of the panels. It would be interesting to know how much it various from unit to unit, but low-cost projectors are always going to have some degree of CA at the edges because good optics are expensive. Using lens shift also tends to make CA worse.
Edited by kriktsemaj99 - 12/19/12 at 6:16am
post #7639 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

That looks more like CA (chromatic aberration) than a convergence problem. CA is due to the lens rather than misalignment of the panels. It would be interesting to know how much it various from unit to unit, but low-cost projectors are always going to have some degree of CA at the edges because good optics are expensive. Using lens shift also tends to make CA worse.

That makes more sense. Thank you.
post #7640 of 8634
Did the suggestion of running in normal "non-eco" mode for a few hours fix your apparent brightness issues? My bulb just hit th ~450 hour mark and I noticed it doing the same thing whether I was watching TV or playing anything from my PS3. I hope this isn't a problem that will get worse!

EDIT: Sorry...I intended to reference an older post. Correction coming soon.
post #7641 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post



8350. You get a new 2 yr warranty, Bulb Replacement over that period, and more brightness without loss of Contrast.


What's not to like?

I thought the bulb only had a 90 day warranty?
post #7642 of 8634
Hi, I just bought a TW3200 (should be quite similar to 8350) but I only have a component cable, so I was wondering if I'd need to get an HDMI cable in order to benefit from 1080p? Is this possible with a component cable?

I am using an older Sony Bluray player.

Hope someone knows, thanks smile.gif
post #7643 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wDK View Post

but I only have a component cable, so I was wondering if I'd need to get an HDMI cable in order to benefit from 1080p?

Component only does 720p. It's also analog.

 

HDMI is 1080p and digital color and brightness.

post #7644 of 8634
Can someone confirm where the rear IR receiver on the projector is for me? Mine is mounted upside down and back against the wall. The only thing I see is an IR receiver looking window at the very center back towards the side with the lens shift adjustments (the top if it's sitting on a table).
post #7645 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Can someone confirm where the rear IR receiver on the projector is for me? Mine is mounted upside down and back against the wall. The only thing I see is an IR receiver looking window at the very center back towards the side with the lens shift adjustments (the top if it's sitting on a table).

The manual shows the IR receiver locations on page 7. What you describe matches up with the location of the rear IR receiver (just above the connectors, if looking from the back in table-top orientation). Mine is shelf mounted up too high for me to easily confirm that right now, but I have no reason to doubt the manual.
The front IR receiver is basically next to the lens, and facing front. FYI, I haven't had any issues bouncing IR off the screen and hitting that front receiver (or off the TV when the screen is retracted, for that matter). I'd think that should work even for most ceiling-mount situations.
post #7646 of 8634
Coolme,
I have the Blu Ray version of the Spears & Munsil and DVE.
To me the Blacks are really good. But don't forget, I upgraded from PLHC400. 720p.

eliwankenobi,
There are two settings for the Iris (Normal or High Speed).
I have it set to Normal and I sit right under and to the side of the projector on a shelf.
I did not notice any noise last night. I will check this when I have it on tonight.
I only noise I did hear was if you change the Color Mode from say Cinema to Dynamic.
You can hear the fan gear up.
post #7647 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_R View Post

The manual shows the IR receiver locations on page 7. What you describe matches up with the location of the rear IR receiver (just above the connectors, if looking from the back in table-top orientation). Mine is shelf mounted up too high for me to easily confirm that right now, but I have no reason to doubt the manual.
The front IR receiver is basically next to the lens, and facing front. FYI, I haven't had any issues bouncing IR off the screen and hitting that front receiver (or off the TV when the screen is retracted, for that matter). I'd think that should work even for most ceiling-mount situations.

Thanks for the response David. I threw the manual out long ago, and didn't even think about looking for it online. I've been bouncing it off the screen as well, but I'm transitioning to wifi control so I need to wire an emitter to it. Thanks for confirming!
post #7648 of 8634
Just got my new projector (TW3200) installed and I really like it - great picture smile.gif

I noticed that in the Info tab of the menu it says 720p in resolution (even though I'm feeding it with a 1080p bluray disc)- does this mean it's only running 720p?

I can't really understand if this is the case though as the image is so sharp, I would bee sure that it is actually 1080p (much sharper than my old 720p projector).. so I'm a little confused here smile.gif
post #7649 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wDK View Post

Just got my new projector (TW3200) installed and I really like it - great picture smile.gif
I noticed that in the Info tab of the menu it says 720p in resolution (even though I'm feeding it with a 1080p bluray disc)- does this mean it's only running 720p?
I can't really understand if this is the case though as the image is so sharp, I would bee sure that it is actually 1080p (much sharper than my old 720p projector).. so I'm a little confused here smile.gif

Check the settings on your Blu-ray player, it's probably set to the output default of 720p.
post #7650 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Check the settings on your Blu-ray player, it's probably set to the output default of 720p.

I did look but there doesnt appear to be any settings where you choose the output resolution?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread