or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 257

post #7681 of 8634


Sorry for quality iPhone is good but not that good lol
post #7682 of 8634
If I stare at my pattern I see all the imperfections. Where I would be concerned is if the imperfections you see in the pattern effect the actual projected image. If the projected image looks good during a movie and nothing stands out then IMHO you are good to go. My. 02 worth.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #7683 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor2257 View Post


Sorry for quality iPhone is good but not that good lol

Might be the Chroma Apparitions from the lens shift.

Here is what mine looks like on another pattern near the edge http://i5.minus.com/iK1qzPe591h0M.JPG

It is normal for projectors of this type.
post #7684 of 8634
100%, deadon, perfect convergence is pretty hard to get from lcd's in general. If it's off by less than a pixel, it's considered good.
post #7685 of 8634
I have kind of an unusual situation but hoping someone can give me some pointers as to whether the 8350 would be appropriate. I had been playing Call of Duty on Xbox 360 in my theater but switched to my living room once I thought about how many hours I'm putting on the bulb of my projector, whose bulbs are very expensive to replace and don't last all that long. Moving my playing to the living room got my wife interested in the game, and now she wants to play whenever I play. I hate playing split screen mode, but don't want to not play with her since I can play more if she is playing with me smile.gif.

Anyway, this got me thinking an ideal solution would be two affordable projectors and an extra xbox so we can both play in 'full screen' mode in the theater. The 8350 caught my attention for several reasons; the positive reviews, the lens shift (since we'd probably keep the projectors and xboxes on a portable cart, i.e. projecting upwards), not being short throw and the inexpensive replacement bulbs.

So my questions/concerns:
  • My theater screen is 120" horizontal. If we want to play two 'full screen' games side by side, this means at most, I need a projector that can project a 60" horizontal image. This rules out short throw projectors since even at 5 feet they will typically be 100+ inches projected. Would the 8350 work well at whatever distance it needs to be to get the image that small?
  • Expanding on the above, brightness becomes a concern when the projector is being used for such a small image. My theater is completely black walls and ceiling, dark grey floor, zero ambient light. Could the 8350 brightness be turned down enough to not be overly bright projecting a small image in a dark room?
  • Anyone using it for FPS gaming have thoughts on it for that purpose?
  • I'm also looking at the Acer H9500BD since it's similar in price but adds 3D support, which doesn't matter for me right now, but perhaps will in the future if new games come out that we really want to play that have 3D. If you have experience with both, or general input, would love to hear it.
post #7686 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdisme View Post

I have kind of an unusual situation but hoping someone can give me some pointers as to whether the 8350 would be appropriate. I had been playing Call of Duty on Xbox 360 in my theater but switched to my living room once I thought about how many hours I'm putting on the bulb of my projector, whose bulbs are very expensive to replace and don't last all that long. Moving my playing to the living room got my wife interested in the game, and now she wants to play whenever I play. I hate playing split screen mode, but don't want to not play with her since I can play more if she is playing with me smile.gif.
Anyway, this got me thinking an ideal solution would be two affordable projectors and an extra xbox so we can both play in 'full screen' mode in the theater. The 8350 caught my attention for several reasons; the positive reviews, the lens shift (since we'd probably keep the projectors and xboxes on a portable cart, i.e. projecting upwards), not being short throw and the inexpensive replacement bulbs.
So my questions/concerns:
  • My theater screen is 120" horizontal. If we want to play two 'full screen' games side by side, this means at most, I need a projector that can project a 60" horizontal image. This rules out short throw projectors since even at 5 feet they will typically be 100+ inches projected. Would the 8350 work well at whatever distance it needs to be to get the image that small?
  • Expanding on the above, brightness becomes a concern when the projector is being used for such a small image. My theater is completely black walls and ceiling, dark grey floor, zero ambient light. Could the 8350 brightness be turned down enough to not be overly bright projecting a small image in a dark room?
  • Anyone using it for FPS gaming have thoughts on it for that purpose?
  • I'm also looking at the Acer H9500BD since it's similar in price but adds 3D support, which doesn't matter for me right now, but perhaps will in the future if new games come out that we really want to play that have 3D. If you have experience with both, or general input, would love to hear it.

I am not sure about the throw distance for 2 side by side 8350's but I I'd know that you have the coolest wife on the planet. My wife has no interest in and Xbox game and she looks at me funny because I love COD. Anyway good luck and let us know if it worked.
post #7687 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

I am not sure about the throw distance for 2 side by side 8350's but I I'd know that you have the coolest wife on the planet. My wife has no interest in and Xbox game and she looks at me funny because I love COD. Anyway good luck and let us know if it worked.

I decided to just pull the trigger on the 8350 so I have a pair of them on the way tomorrow. I simply don't care about 3D enough at this point in time to get a projector that might do 3D well when I actually want to use it, or maybe it won't and I'd feel stupid later future proofing for something that is still rapidly evolving. I think the 8350's 2D low lag performance and adjustability will be great for FPS games since they will be 100% dedicated to that task.

I'll post up a review and some pics in the coming weeks once we've broken them in. It will be nice to go back to shooting people full screen LOL; my head shots have really suffered since she started playing with me. smile.gif
post #7688 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdisme View Post

I decided to just pull the trigger on the 8350 so I have a pair of them on the way tomorrow. I simply don't care about 3D enough at this point in time to get a projector that might do 3D well when I actually want to use it, or maybe it won't and I'd feel stupid later future proofing for something that is still rapidly evolving. I think the 8350's 2D low lag performance and adjustability will be great for FPS games since they will be 100% dedicated to that task.
I'll post up a review and some pics in the coming weeks once we've broken them in. It will be nice to go back to shooting people full screen LOL; my head shots have really suffered since she started playing with me. smile.gif

The 2.1X zoom is pretty good. You are probably going to have to do a bit of experimentation on positioning. You are going to want one of the projectors as close as it can get when all the way zoomed out filling your screen completely for movies and then you can zoom it in and shrink the projection down as small as you can.. This will be the size projection you will have twice if you wish to be fair. If it turns out to be too big to fit two on the screen you may need to overlap a bit or sacrifice and never have either projector fill the screen.
post #7689 of 8634
Hey All,

Blackout here. Have't checked in for a while but I bit am in the unique situation of having both the Epson 8350 and the 3020.

First off, I have used the Epson 8350 for a year now as a pro rental projector and it has always stunned people and it has a way better lens than the 3020. I LIKE that it is a huge monster box. The 3020 looks like a toy in comparison and has no lens controls or shift - just crappy digital keystone correction.

It's my opinion that 2d blu-rays look way better on the 8350. The colors are more accurate and the whites are not as hot.

That being said - the few good 3D titles on the 3020 are mind blowing. I was especially floored by the IMAX Under the Sea. It was so incredible it looked like real film because the 3D overlap just completely eliminates any pixels even if you are close. On 2D movies you can use this feature called super res to have a similar effect but 2D movies look a little too video-y too me if you know what I mean. This leaves me with the difficult decision of to keep it or not as really there are only a handful off 3D movies and I popped close to 2 grand buying a 3D graphics card, 3D stand alone blue ray player and the projector and a few movies. Truly awesome show stopper but is it worth it for a handful of titles? Not sure yet and I have 28 more days to make up my mind and return it if I don't think so.

I have the EVO V 4G which is a slighty beefed up Evo 3D and I'll tell you the projector even played the movies from that and they were fairly good! only 720p but couldn't believe a phone could do such good quality 3D...

To keep or return.... and if I keep d I sell the 8350.... oh decisions decisions...

The one thing I really like about this projector is that unlike all the flat screens - which seem to only go in - this thing really POPPED out like 10 feet from the screen.. it looked like a big old fish was swimming across my coffee table and guests will freak out. I never saw any good 3D on screen tvs.

- Blackout
post #7690 of 8634
So I finally finished building my 108" gray over white Spandex screen and watched Casino Royale on my 8350. It is a refurb I just purchased from Epson and this is the first time I have sat down to watch a full movie on a screen.

I am running a Panasonic BDT220 to an Onkyo NR809 to the projector all via HDMI (it is running into HDMI 1 on the back of the projector). My wife first noticed it but we are getting intermittent flashes on the screen. Sometimes it is as bad as a full screen flash of white but mostly it is a half screen or so flash. The Onkyo has two HDMI outs: primary and seconary. The manual was a little unclear but it appears they are the same except for the fact that the Onkyo menus and the Net setting do not output over the secondary.

I initially had it plugged into the secondary (the primary is plugged into a TV) and the flashes increased to almost one every 10-15 seconds. I swapped the primary and secondary outputs and although the flashes became almost non-existent, I would say there were about three more over the last hour of the movie. Before switching the outputs and after, I did make sure all HDMI cables were reseated and secure.

Is there anything I could check on either the DVD player, Onkyo, or projector where I may have a setting set wrong? Although I have watched some regular television through a DISH DVR, I have not noticed the flashes. I have also not yet tried my PS3. All of my items are run through the Onkyo via HDMI. I also have yet to try hooking the HDMI directly to the DVD player.

A final note. I needed a long HDMI run (35') so I purchaed an HDMI cord from Overstock. It was not expensive ($11), although it stated it was 1.3 compliant, I am wondering if the cheap cord is part of the problem, although that would not explain the difference in number of flashes when I switched the output.

I apoligize that I have not tried very much yet, but this was quite upsetting after all the research and work I did to get this all set up (and approved by the wife). Any quick thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I did some searches and the main thing people said to check was that the HDMI cables were seated.

I also emailed Epson.

Outside of all that, Casino Royale looked sweet on the gray spandex in living room mode!
post #7691 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

So I finally finished building my 108" gray over white Spandex screen and watched Casino Royale on my 8350. It is a refurb I just purchased from Epson and this is the first time I have sat down to watch a full movie on a screen.
I am running a Panasonic BDT220 to an Onkyo NR809 to the projector all via HDMI (it is running into HDMI 1 on the back of the projector). My wife first noticed it but we are getting intermittent flashes on the screen. Sometimes it is as bad as a full screen flash of white but mostly it is a half screen or so flash. The Onkyo has two HDMI outs: primary and seconary. The manual was a little unclear but it appears they are the same except for the fact that the Onkyo menus and the Net setting do not output over the secondary.
I initially had it plugged into the secondary (the primary is plugged into a TV) and the flashes increased to almost one every 10-15 seconds. I swapped the primary and secondary outputs and although the flashes became almost non-existent, I would say there were about three more over the last hour of the movie. Before switching the outputs and after, I did make sure all HDMI cables were reseated and secure.
Is there anything I could check on either the DVD player, Onkyo, or projector where I may have a setting set wrong? Although I have watched some regular television through a DISH DVR, I have not noticed the flashes. I have also not yet tried my PS3. All of my items are run through the Onkyo via HDMI. I also have yet to try hooking the HDMI directly to the DVD player.
A final note. I needed a long HDMI run (35') so I purchaed an HDMI cord from Overstock. It was not expensive ($11), although it stated it was 1.3 compliant, I am wondering if the cheap cord is part of the problem, although that would not explain the difference in number of flashes when I switched the output.
I apoligize that I have not tried very much yet, but this was quite upsetting after all the research and work I did to get this all set up (and approved by the wife). Any quick thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I did some searches and the main thing people said to check was that the HDMI cables were seated.
I also emailed Epson.
Outside of all that, Casino Royale looked sweet on the gray spandex in living room mode!

Most likely the problem is the Panasonic 220 Blu-ray player. I helped install my niece's home theater and they are experiencing the same problem but with the Panasonic AR100U projector and a 25 foot Monoprice HDMI cable. They are planning to purchase the Sony BDP-BX59 (same as the BDP-S590) at Costco which has it on sale for $79.99 to make sure the problem lies with their player.
post #7692 of 8634
I would say if you could try the PS3 and see what happens to the signal. Sometimes the HDMI cables can be quirky. I have had some issues with HDMI from "sparklies", signal loss, and flat out not working right out of the box. I would bet is a cable issue vs. a player issue. Also Onkyo is known to have HDMI board issues as well, but if you don't experience it on another display the HDMI board is probably not the issue. I would try swapping out cables first or if it is easier try the PS3 and see if the issue persists.

Good luck,

Regards,

RTROSE
post #7693 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

I needed a long HDMI run (35') so I purchaed an HDMI cord from Overstock. It was not expensive ($11), although it stated it was 1.3 compliant, I am wondering if the cheap cord is part of the problem, although that would not explain the difference in number of flashes when I switched the output.
 

Sounds thin and cheap. A cable that long needs to be heavy gauge. I use: 45ft 22AWG CL2 Standard Speed w/ Ethernet HDMI Cable from MonoPrice

 

You have enough gear to test. Connecting BluRay directly to 8350 (bypass amp) with that cable ... might prove some gear is good. Simplify system and keep testing components and finding ones that test good or where problem follows. 


Edited by Tesla1856 - 1/9/13 at 2:24pm
post #7694 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

So I finally finished building my 108" gray over white Spandex screen and watched Casino Royale on my 8350. It is a refurb I just purchased from Epson and this is the first time I have sat down to watch a full movie on a screen.
I am running a Panasonic BDT220 to an Onkyo NR809 to the projector all via HDMI (it is running into HDMI 1 on the back of the projector). My wife first noticed it but we are getting intermittent flashes on the screen. Sometimes it is as bad as a full screen flash of white but mostly it is a half screen or so flash. The Onkyo has two HDMI outs: primary and seconary. The manual was a little unclear but it appears they are the same except for the fact that the Onkyo menus and the Net setting do not output over the secondary.
I initially had it plugged into the secondary (the primary is plugged into a TV) and the flashes increased to almost one every 10-15 seconds. I swapped the primary and secondary outputs and although the flashes became almost non-existent, I would say there were about three more over the last hour of the movie. Before switching the outputs and after, I did make sure all HDMI cables were reseated and secure.
Is there anything I could check on either the DVD player, Onkyo, or projector where I may have a setting set wrong? Although I have watched some regular television through a DISH DVR, I have not noticed the flashes. I have also not yet tried my PS3. All of my items are run through the Onkyo via HDMI. I also have yet to try hooking the HDMI directly to the DVD player.
A final note. I needed a long HDMI run (35') so I purchaed an HDMI cord from Overstock. It was not expensive ($11), although it stated it was 1.3 compliant, I am wondering if the cheap cord is part of the problem, although that would not explain the difference in number of flashes when I switched the output.
I apoligize that I have not tried very much yet, but this was quite upsetting after all the research and work I did to get this all set up (and approved by the wife). Any quick thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I did some searches and the main thing people said to check was that the HDMI cables were seated.
I also emailed Epson.
Outside of all that, Casino Royale looked sweet on the gray spandex in living room mode!

Try turning off "deep color" on the Panasonic.
post #7695 of 8634
ANY ONE, everyone, turned the projector on last night, and no light. Lamp light blinking. Need a new bulb. I did some searching, and I don't need a knock off bulb. Can someone either tell me here in the forum, or PM me and let me know where I can get a OEM replacement bulb with quick service.

Epson said free over night shipping for $299.99, however, I think that I can get it for less than $250.00.

I appreciate it.

BTW, projector is 26 months old.
post #7696 of 8634
Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone else tried xccxxx's fix for the dreaded green blob issue.
I've developed a whopper of a blob bang in the middle of the screen and am currently on my 5th TW-3200 (only 105 hrs on the lamp) and don't really want to go down the road of getting another replacement.
Thanks in advance
post #7697 of 8634
Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone else tried xccxxx's fix for the dreaded green blob issue.
I've developed a whopper of a blob bang in the middle of the screen and am currently on my 5th TW-3200 (only 105 hrs on the lamp) and don't really want to go down the road of getting another replacement.
Thanks in advance
post #7698 of 8634
I am thinking about getting this.

If I understand this correct:
Quote:
Vertical: 96.3% max (up and down)

I should have no problems in getting the image vertically aligned on my screen, right?

My projector will be ceiling mounted and the top of the screen will be at the same level (or higher unfortunately...) than the lens. I suspect the high lens shift percentage will let me move the image up well more than enough to put it onto my screen right?
post #7699 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

I am thinking about getting this.

If I understand this correct:
I should have no problems in getting the image vertically aligned on my screen, right?

My projector will be ceiling mounted and the top of the screen will be at the same level (or higher unfortunately...) than the lens. I suspect the high lens shift percentage will let me move the image up well more than enough to put it onto my screen right?

If your situation is as you describe you will have no issues getting your image on your screen.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #7700 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderland View Post

My projector will be ceiling mounted and the top of the screen will be at the same level (or higher unfortunately...) than the lens. I suspect the high lens shift percentage will let me move the image up well more than enough to put it onto my screen right?


New owner here. I had a similar situation trying to figure out if need to drop down further from the ceiling or not. If you're level with the top of screen you will have no problems at all. My ceiling is 19" above the top of a 93" screen from 10' and happy to report the lens shift still has room to spare. Using a Peerless mount so the lense is probably 8-9" down from the ceiling.

Still have yet to adjust anything but the night I set it up I ran out and rented Looper I was so excited. Came from a Sony VPL-HS20 and wondered why I waited so long. Watched the movie powered up in normal vs eco mode and thought it was still quieter than my old projector. When I found out it wasn't in Eco mode I was amazed at how silent it is. Was debating between this and the Panasonic but since my screen is only 93' I went for better blacks over light output. So far I'm pretty happy.

Screen suggestions? Currently using a 1.3 gain screen. Room is mixed use. Movies wll mostly at night with shades drawn but still would like to use it during the day with windows away from the screen open. Think I should drop down to a 1.0 gain?
post #7701 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinmaryland View Post

ANY ONE, everyone, turned the projector on last night, and no light. Lamp light blinking. Need a new bulb. I did some searching, and I don't need a knock off bulb. Can someone either tell me here in the forum, or PM me and let me know where I can get a OEM replacement bulb with quick service.

Epson said free over night shipping for $299.99, however, I think that I can get it for less than $250.00.

I appreciate it.

BTW, projector is 26 months old.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-lamp-suppliers.htm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=735442&Q=&is=REG&A=details $234, I've used them before, but not sure how quick the turnaround would be.
post #7702 of 8634
I'm considering the 8350 but am a bit worried about brightness..

My projector sits 22 feet from a 120 inch wide screen. The projector central calculator says not enough brightness. I have a DaLite screen, I think 1.0 gain. Room can be light controlled but sometimes used with minimal light for sporting events and company. There doesn't seem to be too many projectors that can deal with the 22 ft. throw distance. I like the 3020 but it doesn't have lens shift that I would need.
post #7703 of 8634
Love this thing!!!!

post #7704 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger67 View Post



New owner here. I had a similar situation trying to figure out if need to drop down further from the ceiling or not. If you're level with the top of screen you will have no problems at all. My ceiling is 19" above the top of a 93" screen from 10' and happy to report the lens shift still has room to spare. Using a Peerless mount so the lense is probably 8-9" down from the ceiling.

Still have yet to adjust anything but the night I set it up I ran out and rented Looper I was so excited. Came from a Sony VPL-HS20 and wondered why I waited so long. Watched the movie powered up in normal vs eco mode and thought it was still quieter than my old projector. When I found out it wasn't in Eco mode I was amazed at how silent it is. Was debating between this and the Panasonic but since my screen is only 93' I went for better blacks over light output. So far I'm pretty happy.

Screen suggestions? Currently using a 1.3 gain screen. Room is mixed use. Movies wll mostly at night with shades drawn but still would like to use it during the day with windows away from the screen open. Think I should drop down to a 1.0 gain?

Yep, upgrading from the 768p hs20 sony is nice, I did the same a few months back. I think you should keep the current screen, as that little extra brightness will help as the lamp starts to dim. Using a 1.3 myself.
post #7705 of 8634
My first bulb failure:
Bought in June 2012
890 hours on bulb
Got dim for about a week and finally died (didn't hear a pop)
Epson is sending a replacement for free

This projector is my first, and it's incredible. It's on a 90" blackout cloth screen. I have three small green dust blobs but it's nothing I notice unless the screen is pure black, and even then, hardly.
post #7706 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41 View Post

Love this thing!!!!


Wow.. What screen do you have and what camera/settings did you use to take that. It looks incredible!


For the sake of OCD I thought I would share my setting even though my PC's Gamma is adjusted for my CRT and therefore shares with my projector. My ATi Color Gamma correction is 1.10 red, 1.05 green, 1.0 blue and because of that slight twist my projector is set up like this...





There is also a slight bump in the gamma adjustment graph but I forgot to take a photo.This may seem way off but even when using my Cablevision HD box as a source these settings just work better than any of the default color schemes. Also sharpness I have at all 0's.
post #7707 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by F12Bwth View Post

Wow.. What screen do you have and what camera/settings did you use to take that. It looks incredible!


Believe it or not, that's on a cheap Vapex 106 screen. My camera is: Canon 60D, lens is 17-55 EF-S f/2.8 IS. Settings were Av mode, ISO 100, F/4, Exp. 1/3. I didn't tweak anything out of camera - so actually sharpness and color are even a bit better in real life.

This projector really is incredible given the right conditions.
post #7708 of 8634
My projector is about the same age as yours and the bulb is acting as if it is going pop and go out... What did they ask you and what did you say when you called them? Do you have to send the dead bulb back and wait on the new to follow? Thanks...
post #7709 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41 View Post

Believe it or not, that's on a cheap Vapex 106 screen. My camera is: Canon 60D, lens is 17-55 EF-S f/2.8 IS. Settings were Av mode, ISO 100, F/4, Exp. 1/3. I didn't tweak anything out of camera - so actually sharpness and color are even a bit better in real life.

This projector really is incredible given the right conditions.

The Screen has far less to do with that shot vs the camera.. I will borrow my fathers Cannon DSLR and shoot a few with those settings. He has a few lenses I will try to find one similar.
post #7710 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nme123 View Post

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone else tried xccxxx's fix for the dreaded green blob issue.
I've developed a whopper of a blob bang in the middle of the screen and am currently on my 5th TW-3200 (only 105 hrs on the lamp) and don't really want to go down the road of getting another replacement.
Thanks in advance

Yep, worked great. It was easy, just follow his instructions, I also posted a few weeks back with some additional comments. If my projector develops dust blobs again I know what to do now. I don't know if the dust was in the projector from the factory or accumulated after running (I have less than 300 hrs so far). If from the factory then I would not expect to have any further issues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread