or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread - Page 280

post #8371 of 8634
Thread Starter 
150 Day warranty....respectable source too: Approx.$80.00 w/Shipping
http://www.pureglare.com/product/view.aspx?pro_id=BP00404&so=SZ&pid=51164

Other choices priced lower...the first two with only 90 Days warranty A couple are Amazon Prime

http://www.projectorlampgenie.com/us/epson-powerlite-hc-8350-genie-lamp/

http://www.amazon.com/Electrified-ELPLP49-V13H010L49-Replacement-Projectors/dp/B004S79ZI4/ref=pd_sim_e_6

The one below however is the least expensive of all yet comes with a 150 Day Warranty "AND" is Amazon Prime

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LOWIQW/ref=asc_df_B007LOWIQW2751651?smid=A2432X22LVZ06G&tag=dealtmp650272-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B007LOWIQW

Hard not to love that one.
post #8372 of 8634
Since most people who post have problems, I thought I'd post my experience.
I've had mine for going on 2 years & am completely happy with it. Mind you, I don't use it much, execpt for sports mostly, & have only 517 hours on it.
It has perfect convergence with no pixel misalignment that I can see, not even a half. I have a 2.4 gain Elunevision Elara screen so I run in eco mode & haven't had any problem with the iris. There are no dust blobs or coloured bands. (That reminds me - I should clean the filter. Can't remember the last I did that.) The picture's bright & punchy (should be with a 2.4 gain screen) & the blacks are very, very good.
Hope this helps with people's hesitancy to buy this pj.
post #8373 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlingonScum View Post

*sigh*

Ok, I've got the auto-iris issue. But in my particular case, my 2 year warranty ran out in May of this year. Now, I had gotten the issue in the past about once in a blue moon - maybe once every 4-6 months, just turn it off, wait a bit, and turn it back on again and clear sailing.

Last night though, that didn't work - same thing when I restarted it about 3-4 times. Then I went and unplugged it completely for 5 minutes. Nope. Uh oh. I finally wound up turning it back on and banging the side of it (gently but firmly - what a fun line to try to walk) when it was starting up and got it to work. No telling what will happen this weekend when I try to watch football. Yes, I probably should have sent it back when I first got it and it was under warranty, but I tend to be an "eh, I can live with it" guy and now it's biting me.

So, I figure I need to send it in for repairs, and I was wondering - has anybody had to get this fixed AFTER their warranty period has expired, and if so, how much can I expect to pay?

And I just put a new lamp into it too, sheesh - only 50 hours on the new bulb.

As for fixing it myself, that's probably a non-starter - just swapping out the bulb was a major endeavor for me...

Mine fortunately had 2 months on warranty. I had such good Epson service, I think it is worth a call to them just to see what they say. Any chance you used a credit card with an extra year warranty?
post #8374 of 8634

I bought my Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 about a year ago to replace a Sony H20 I used for many years.  About 2 months ago it start having a Auto Iris has failed message on the screen and the projector would not start, it would not continue it would not go past the error, even though I have auto Iris turned off.  If you reboot the projector it will usually start normally.  

I looked around on the internet and this error is not uncommon.  The reports are that it gets worse and worse until rebooting will no longer work and you have a dead projector on your hands. 

I called Epson and they readily agreed to replace my projector with a refurbished one.  I had to give them a credit card for overnight service since I would at some point have both projectors and I would have an incentive to send back the old one. 

My biggest concern is that I am trading one problem for another having to take a refurbished unit in exchange.  I will report back if my concerns become a reality.  

post #8375 of 8634
How do you prevent the dust blob problem and how often should the filter get cleaned if it is even used sparingly? I've only put about 3-5 hours on it right now.

Do you guys recommend putting the plastic lens cap on the projector when not in use? I'm on the fence about this because i dont want it to mess up the focus everytime i take off the lens cap.

Thanks
post #8376 of 8634

Update: (10/11/2013) The Refurbished machine that I got from Epson was nonfunctional.  The Focus Ring was locked in position, unturnable and the when I first powered up the machine it over heated and shut down within 5 min.  I have sent the Refurbished Machine back. 

Since there is a full year left on my factory warranty I have decided to wait and monitor my Auto Iris Failures being on the lookout for any failure pattern. 

In summery a Refurbished unit from Epson is not likely to be any better than broken unit you have.  In some cases it may be worse.    

post #8377 of 8634

I just moved in to a house that came with a home theater. It will be my first home projector.

2.gif

post #8378 of 8634
So I just ordered one of these for our new house that has a media room. There is a 135" fixed screen and the top of the screen is exactly 7'7"" (91") high. The ceiling is 10ft high (120") and the projector will be mounted 14'4" back. Since I don't have the projector yet and the manual I have two questions:

1. What length extension should I use for best results?

2. Should I move the projector forward or back for better results? I have the ability to move it about 2 feet in either direction. (The room is 16 ft wide and 28 feet long - HUGE - hence the big screen)

This is our first projector so I'm really new here and wanting to get the best set up that will help the projector look great and not burn through bulbs constantly.

Any help is appreciated.
post #8379 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

How do you prevent the dust blob problem and how often should the filter get cleaned if it is even used sparingly? I've only put about 3-5 hours on it right now.

Do you guys recommend putting the plastic lens cap on the projector when not in use? I'm on the fence about this because i dont want it to mess up the focus everytime i take off the lens cap.

Thanks

I don't believe there is a rock solid way to eliminate dust blobs. This projector is very prone to them. That does not mean you will definitely get them - you may not. But I've had 3 8350's now and they all got annoying dust blobs frown.gif And I now have the auto iris problem as well. I have sent it back a 2nd time for repair. I wish you much better luck.
post #8380 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

I don't believe there is a rock solid way to eliminate dust blobs. This projector is very prone to them. That does not mean you will definitely get them - you may not. But I've had 3 8350's now and they all got annoying dust blobs frown.gif And I now have the auto iris problem as well. I have sent it back a 2nd time for repair. I wish you much better luck.

should i use a projector cover when it is not in use to prevent dust from coming in? VAPEX sells these - kinda like a shower cap that goes around the projector when not in use.

Anyone put the lens cap on when the projector isnt in use?

I currently have 25 hours on my PJ - when do you start seeing the image degrade as far as the lamp output?
post #8381 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

should i use a projector cover when it is not in use to prevent dust from coming in? VAPEX sells these - kinda like a shower cap that goes around the projector when not in use.

Anyone put the lens cap on when the projector isnt in use?

I currently have 25 hours on my PJ - when do you start seeing the image degrade as far as the lamp output?

It's the intake of the fans that is sucking the dust out of the air in your house, so covering it will more than likely be no help.
post #8382 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by chastuwall View Post

So I just ordered one of these for our new house that has a media room. There is a 135" fixed screen and the top of the screen is exactly 7'7"" (91") high. The ceiling is 10ft high (120") and the projector will be mounted 14'4" back. Since I don't have the projector yet and the manual I have two questions:

1. What length extension should I use for best results?

2. Should I move the projector forward or back for better results? I have the ability to move it about 2 feet in either direction. (The room is 16 ft wide and 28 feet long - HUGE - hence the big screen)

This is our first projector so I'm really new here and wanting to get the best set up that will help the projector look great and not burn through bulbs constantly.

Any help is appreciated.

This projector has excellent optics and "lens shift" that provides good final placement options. It would really be better if you use the installation program at epson.com .

 

I'm no expert, but I think closer to screen is brighter (maybe room isn't light controlled). I would keep it level, put lens-shift at 0%, and find your optimal distance. If you run out of mounting room, start making slight adjustments.

 

Some guys use ladders to test placement. I think you can also use a floor table or stand. Distance from lens to bottom of screen would become distance to top of screen ... when projector is turned upside down and hung.

 

Try to keep front of lens as parallel and perpendicular to screen surface as possible.


Edited by Tesla1856 - 10/17/13 at 3:52pm
post #8383 of 8634
I am looking for an opinion on the convergence of my refurbished 8350. Thanks for the input.
post #8384 of 8634
Using green as the reference, it looks link red is out vertidally by one full pixel (up) and blue to is out by 2 pixels vertically (up). I would talk to Epson customer service and see if they will replace it with another exchange.
post #8385 of 8634
Hi all, I just got a replacement 8350 from Epson as my first one started to show the auto-iris error more frequently and was up to once a month (after a year and a half) and just mounted the new one.
When I got the projector, the lens cap was shattered which tells me that the box must have been banged around . They had shipped the it without an empty accessories box inside to keep the projector support firmly in place.
Well, the new 8350 has a 3-4 pixel convergence in both red and green and also has a yellow tinted stripe running vertically down the left side of the picture (on a 92" screen).
I know that the convergence is just outside acceptable limits and may have been caused by the banging around but what could cause the yellow tint?

I'll be calling Epson in the morning to get another replacement...fingers crossed....
post #8386 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

Sent my unit in for return for repair since I liked everything about my projector except the dust blobs present. Waited until the bulb failed and sent it in. Took about 8 days total back and forth. They replaced the optical block, bulb and filter. Unfortunately, now I have a new problem. There is a blue golf ball sized discoloration on the middle of the screen at the far left. Anyone have any idea what that is? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Epson has good customer service. But I'd prefer bad customer service and a reliable projector compared to good customer service and an unreliable projector.

I once again sent my unit in for repair after getting it back the first time with the blue discoloration I mentioned above. In addition, I developed the auto iris problem for the first time. I just hooked it back up last Friday. This time they once again replaced the optical block and the lamp. The tech stated they were replaced due to auto iris problem and lamp not bright.

So far, I do not detect any problems. In fact, the picture may actually be sharper than before. And the brightness level is fine. No auto iris problems yet. And no dust blobs or discolorations. Of course, with my experiences with this projector over the past 2 years, I'm holding my breath a bit. It's likely just a matter of time before a dust blob appears again. We'll see. I have just a little over a month left on my warranty. Hopefully, I won't experience any additional issues and I can enjoy the projector for some time to come.

When it performs as advertised, it is a fine projector for the money. I'm fine with the errors of omission. Its blacks could be better, it could be sharper etc. I know I'd have to pay more money for better performance. Its errors of commission are its main failing. $1300 might be on the low side for a projector. But it's still a significant chunk of change for many people. There's no excuse for the many problems that this projector has had. Hopefully, the next projector to replace this one in the Epson line will be better engineered. For example, I had not one dust blob over 4 years using my previous projector, the Panasonic AX200. All 3 of my Epson 8350's have developed them. The Epson is in the same room as my Panny was and the room has remained unchanged in that entire time.

Good luck to those who own the 8350. I hope you do not suffer any problems and enjoy your projector. I'll report back with an update if I have any additional problems. But I'll also report back if the repair seems to have solved my problems once and for all.
post #8387 of 8634
I am getting ready to purchase an Epson 8350 and I need help with a mount selection. Unfortunately, I have to attach the projector mount to an area that is soffited and only 7ft high from the floor. I would like to find a good quality, low profile mount that has some adjustability, if one exists.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
post #8388 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahara View Post

I am getting ready to purchase an Epson 8350 and I need help with a mount selection. Unfortunately, I have to attach the projector mount to an area that is soffited and only 7ft high from the floor. I would like to find a good quality, low profile mount that has some adjustability, if one exists.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

A quick search of this thread would have yielded:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1280137/the-offical-epson-8350-owners-thread/8220#post_23520695
post #8389 of 8634
I need a low profile ceiling mount for my 8350. I've been reading the thread and think the Chief RPA-168 would be the best choice. When I go to look it up online, it is unclear if it comes with the mounting plate (SLB) for the that attaches to the 8350 or is the plate sold separately. Any feedback would be helpful, I am rather confused.

Also, in one of the posts I read, there was a mention of thermal blanketing. Is this a real issue? Am I going to have big issues with it mounted close to the ceiling?

Thanks
Edited by stahara - 10/25/13 at 3:15pm
post #8390 of 8634
Having to replace my Sanyo PLV Z5, reluctantly, but because of LCD panel issues. We use it as our primary TV and have put something in the neighborhood of 10,000 hours on it. The room is not light controlled with late afternoon sun streaming in. Morning and evening are fine though most of our serious movie watching happens at night. The screen is an 85" (so not huge). I've quite enjoyed the Sanyo but am in need of a replacement. I'm considering the Epson 8350 for value. Though I've concerns on reliability (seems like a hot topic) and whether or not it will match the PQ of my older model Sanyo, at least. There are no showrooms to demo where I live. Does anyone have any input, soothing advice or dire predictions? If this isn't the projector for me can someone give advice and direction?
post #8391 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenzin View Post

Having to replace my Sanyo PLV Z5, reluctantly, but because of LCD panel issues. We use it as our primary TV and have put something in the neighborhood of 10,000 hours on it. The room is not light controlled with late afternoon sun streaming in. Morning and evening are fine though most of our serious movie watching happens at night. The screen is an 85" (so not huge). I've quite enjoyed the Sanyo but am in need of a replacement. I'm considering the Epson 8350 for value. Though I've concerns on reliability (seems like a hot topic) and whether or not it will match the PQ of my older model Sanyo, at least. There are no showrooms to demo where I live. Does anyone have any input, soothing advice or dire predictions? If this isn't the projector for me can someone give advice and direction?

Over the last decade, I went through a Sanyo Z2, a Sanyo Z4, and Epson 6100, and now for the last couple years, an Epson 8350.

I say go for it. Compared to the Z5, the 8350 will blow you away. WAY, WAY brighter, even in Eco mode, and much better, and deeper color, a full Color Management System for easier calibration, and of course, a jump in resolution going from 720p to 1080p. Also, Epson's customer service is THE absolute best in the business.

You will notice the difference immediately when it lights up your room when you turn it on.
post #8392 of 8634

I read somewhere that you can't use this projector for more than 3-4 hours at a time without risking blowing out the bulbs, is this true? I'm looking at this projector because of its price, I'm a gamer and I like the low input lag, and image quality is not a major concern of mine. 

I'm also looking to use this in a living room with the lights on most of the time.

post #8393 of 8634
Can't say I've heard of that problem. Mine has had many long movie sessions, including all three extended editions of Lord of the Rings in one day and the first 7 Harry Potter films across 2 days.
post #8394 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Can't say I've heard of that problem. Mine has had many long movie sessions, including all three extended editions of Lord of the Rings in one day and the first 7 Harry Potter films across 2 days.

I purchased it a few hours ago and I'm loving it so far. Watching it with bright lights on and it still looks good. I've read that there is no way to keystone so you need to point it straight at the wall right?

post #8395 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post

I purchased it a few hours ago and I'm loving it so far. Watching it with bright lights on and it still looks good. I've read that there is no way to keystone so you need to point it straight at the wall right?

No need for keystone, the lens shift is there to correct for placement issues.
post #8396 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post


No need for keystone, the lens shift is there to correct for placement issues.

 

I've found so far that the lens shift does not correct for not aiming the projector straight at a wall. I had it on an end table at first aiming at the wall at a slight diagonal angle and the shape of the picture was like a rhombus. (I don't think I've ever typed the word rhombus before)

post #8397 of 8634
Hello All,

Being a front projection newbie I'm not sure how serious my issue is but I hope others with more experience can provide some input. I'm not even sure how best to describe it, the quote and link below were the only references I could find on this site where someone has had what I believe to be a similar issue:


"swirling gas like artifact on bright white scenes. It looks like visual distortion you get over the horizon on hot days"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314538/swirling-artifact-after-lamp-replacement

In my case, I've had the projector for about 5 months (about 150 hours of use) and it has been great. But last night while watching hockey I noticed this swirling smoke like effect in the middle of the screen, its definitely new. My projector is about 12' from a 108" screen and I'd say the diameter of this artifact was about 2 or 3 feet. What puzzles me is that unlike the poster in the attached link absolutely nothing has changed in my set up. Our HTR is a sealed room in our basement, the projector is ceiling mounted and would not be exposed to any vapor, or foreign substance aside from any dust that may be in the room, and I've never opened it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
post #8398 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post

I've found so far that the lens shift does not correct for not aiming the projector straight at a wall. I had it on an end table at first aiming at the wall at a slight diagonal angle and the shape of the picture was like a rhombus. (I don't think I've ever typed the word rhombus before)

You're right - my response yesterday wasn't complete. Yes, you need to have the projector and screen (in your case, wall) as aligned as straight as possible - twist and/or slide the projector until you've got the best rectangle-shaped projected image even if it's not centered on the screen. Then, use the lens shift and zoom controls to center the image in your screen. I've found that using the least amount of shift gives a slightly sharper picture.
post #8399 of 8634
I understand the Epson 8350 has a few different color modes (shown below - some are specific to the 8700UB). What is the recommended color mode for the Epson 8350? Are there any adverse affects in running the projector in dynamic mode? Does changing the mode shorten the lifespan of the lamp or other components of the PJ?

I use my PJ sparingly, to prolong the longevity of the projector is it recommended to keep it at eco mode?

----

Dynamic: For projecting the brightest picture available.

Living Room: For watching television programs during the day.

THX (Home Cinema 8700 UB) or Natural (Home Cinema 8350): For projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room.

Theatre (Home Cinema 8700 UB) or Cinema (Home Cinema 8350): For viewing movies in a dimly lit room.

Theatre Black 1 (Home Cinema 8700 UB): For images that are close to those in professional-use broadcast monitors. Use in a fully darkened room.

Theatre Black 2 (Home Cinema 8700 UB): To emphasize rich colors, like those seen in movies at the theater. Use in a fully darkened room.

x.v.Color: For the most natural color reproduction when viewing movies through HDMI.
post #8400 of 8634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

I understand the Epson 8350 has a few different color modes (shown below - some are specific to the 8700UB). What is the recommended color mode for the Epson 8350? Are there any adverse affects in running the projector in dynamic mode? Does changing the mode shorten the lifespan of the lamp or other components of the PJ?

I use my PJ sparingly, to prolong the longevity of the projector is it recommended to keep it at eco mode?

----

Dynamic: For projecting the brightest picture available.

Living Room: For watching television programs during the day.

THX (Home Cinema 8700 UB) or Natural (Home Cinema 8350): For projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room.

Theatre (Home Cinema 8700 UB) or Cinema (Home Cinema 8350): For viewing movies in a dimly lit room.

Theatre Black 1 (Home Cinema 8700 UB): For images that are close to those in professional-use broadcast monitors. Use in a fully darkened room.

Theatre Black 2 (Home Cinema 8700 UB): To emphasize rich colors, like those seen in movies at the theater. Use in a fully darkened room.

x.v.Color: For the most natural color reproduction when viewing movies through HDMI.

In my "man cave" HTR with no windows I use the Cinema mode with no to very dim lighting and I'll use the living room or natural mode when watching sports with some lighting on. I never use dynamic. Generally speaking the lamp life will be prolonged using the less bright modes in eco mode. But the "correct" mode to use really depends on several factors:

1) size and gain of screen
2) projector distance from screen
3) ambient light
4) age of the bulb (as all bulbs will dim somewhat over time)

There are online calculators that you can use to interpret the ideal settings based on the above data.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The Offical Epson 8350 Owners Thread