or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › My Bloody Valentine 3D Blu-Ray Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Bloody Valentine 3D Blu-Ray Review - Page 2

post #31 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post

How does 3d look in red and blue glasses compared to the much more expensive active shutter glasses?

Much, much, much better.
post #32 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Much, much, much better.

I think you meant the shutter glasses are better.
post #33 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I think you meant the shutter glasses are better.

heh... good catch
post #34 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post

How does 3d look in red and blue glasses compared to the much more expensive active shutter glasses?

red and blue=vhs

active shudder= blu ray

It's a massive difference.
post #35 of 185
I bought this movie yesterday as well. My impression so far is that it's pretty cool to finally see live action Full 3D at home. All I have so far is animated movies, and I live in an apartment where I can't get directv, and our cable provider doesn't have any 3d channels.

The movie is super dark, and the viewing environment should really be light controlled. Looks much better at night with all the lights off.

I've also found that my stomach for gore and slasher movies is not the same as it was when I was a teenager, lol.

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue with the 7.1 audio. My Denon 3311ci shows 5.1 with another light lit called EXT1 during the main movie, however during the brief DTS demo, it properly shows all 7.1 channels being received....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19297659
post #36 of 185
Quote:

Thanks Aaron. This site seems to be a great place for detailed reviews and I have added it to mt Favorites.
post #37 of 185
Watching this movie again right now......I see a LOT of ghosting. Which is not too surprising since the movie is so dark, and it's high contrast scenes that lend themselves to ghosting.

I have a Panasonic VT20, and an obvious example of ghosting is the very first murder when the guy has the pick axe through the back of the head and the eye pops out. I can clearly see the ghosted image of his head to the left (his right, the lit side of his face).

Then as he falls, the light bulb behind him, it's set way back, so the two images for each eye are far apart, with the glasses on, you actually see three lights, the bright one in the middle and one on each side. Now it's only for a split second, but this kind of ghosting is present throughout the movie, and can be kind of distracting.

It's really noticeable if you pause the movie. I paused it at the moment he starts to fall, and it's very difficult for my eyes to even focus on the light behind him, i think because the ghosted images are so bright, it confuses my eyes.

On most of the animated movies I have, ghosting hasn't been too much of an issue, and most movies aren't this dark, so I'm not too worried about future movies.
post #38 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole66 View Post

I may have posted this in the wrong place so I'm reposting it with more info here.

Anyone have the new MBV Blu Ray 3D that was a Best Buy exclusive that came out this week?

I just got it and watched the first 15 minutes or so and had lots of shuttering issues with my Samsung glasses that I've never seen before.
I'm new to the 3D TV world as I've only had my Samsung TV over a week but I've not seen this happen with the glasses with the demo disc that came with the 3D Starter kit.
Also, does the room brightness make a difference for these Active Shutter glasses? As I think about it, everything else I've watched has been at night or evening and I did this test during the afternoon in somewhat bright sun light.

Was curious if anyone else has had any issues with this disc...

I didn't have time to see the whole movie, only saw the first 20 minutes and I must say, this movie has excellent 3D. Just a tiny bit of ghosting/crosstalk or whatever they're calling it in the darker/night secenes but overall the 3D looks excellent on my Sony Bravia 3D TV with ZERO ghosting on all the daytime scenes. I'll have time to see the whole film this weekend when I'm off from work but again so far it really looks great on a Sony Bravia. I'm really glad I chose Sony.
post #39 of 185
Quote:

I liked this bit of the review best of all:

"Something as innocent as a character sitting in a truck with the window down and another character beside the closed door with his hand resting on the window cutout looks marvelously real, as if the viewer were standing a few feet behind them in real time and not sitting in the living room, hundreds of miles and thousands of hours removed from when the scene was filmed."

That's exactly what 3-D - at its best - is all about.
post #40 of 185
Thread Starter 
After reading all the reviews and different forums...

If you have a DLP TV 3D, no ghosting with this transfer

All Plasma, LED = Ghosting (some worse than others)

I dont understand why, but for some reason thats the case here.
post #41 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdom View Post

After reading all the reviews and different forums...

If you have a DLP TV 3D, no ghosting with this transfer

All Plasma, LED = Ghosting (some worse than others)

I dont understand why, but for some reason thats the case here.

That about sums it up.
post #42 of 185
Hmmm.. Aside from gore & nudity that may not be ideal for mixed company, this currently sounds like a great 3-D Blu-Ray torture test disc (some high contrast scenes with a wider parallex) to see how well a given 3-D display cancels out under extreme conditions.
post #43 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdom View Post

After reading all the reviews and different forums...

If you have a DLP TV 3D, no ghosting with this transfer

All Plasma, LED = Ghosting (some worse than others)

I dont understand why, but for some reason thats the case here.

DLP is the most resistant to ghosting.
post #44 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

DLP is the most resistant to ghosting.

That's why a lot of us are hoping TI will finally release a Full 1080p 3D chip.
post #45 of 185
I refuse to believe a DLP is performing better than my PN63C8000 plasma but for some reason that seems to be the case and I even reset my picture calibration to default to see if it was a setting causing the ghosting issue unfortunately all ghosting was still present. I honestly think the anaglyph version looked better 3D than this version at least on my set. Very frustrated and out 34.99 plus tax, damn and I was looking forward to this
post #46 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I refuse to believe a DLP is performing better than my PN63C8000 plasma but for some reason that seems to be the case and I even reset my picture calibration to default to see if it was a setting causing the ghosting issue unfortunately all ghosting was still present. I honestly think the anaglyph version looked better 3D than this version at least on my set. Very frustrated and out 34.99 plus tax, damn and I was looking forward to this

DLP is the best technology for frame sequential 3D. It does not hold the images like LCD/plasma.
post #47 of 185
I feel that anyone who owns a LCD, LED or Plasma should call Lionsgate and complain. This transfer should have been TOP quality and have the ability to play perfectly on any new or older 3D enabled tv. Blu Ray is held to a certain standard so should 3D. Now it's my problem that Lionsgate rushed this release without checking for QA and making sure it's plays perfectly on any TV. There is obviously a mixed bag of people in here who have had no problems watching this with good effect and others who see nothing but ghosting at the worst times. Ugh frustrated, frustrated, frustrated. Do ya hear me Lionsgate and the Blu Ray Association, I hear me!
post #48 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I feel that anyone who owns a LCD, LED or Plasma should call Lionsgate and complain. This transfer should have been TOP quality and have the ability to play perfectly on any new or older 3D enabled tv. Blu Ray is held to a certain standard so should 3D. Now it's my problem that Lionsgate rushed this release without checking for QA and making sure it's plays perfectly on any TV. There is obviously a mixed bag of people in here who have had no problems watching this with good effect and others who see nothing but ghosting at the worst times. Ugh frustrated, frustrated, frustrated. Do ya hear me Lionsgate and the Blu Ray Association, I hear me!

Looks great on my Panny VT20 plasma
post #49 of 185
I'm sure it does, again it seems to be a mixed bag. Even BluRay.com posted a review in regards to the ghosting issue. I bought the best plasma Samsung currently offers so I should not be having this problem.
post #50 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

That's why a lot of us are hoping TI will finally release a Full 1080p 3D chip.

Only their competitors say that the current chip isn't full 1080p; TI and those who own the current model feel that it is. I've tried to detect a difference between my Mits and the panny at BB on the same content and couldn't.
post #51 of 185
Will this become available on a wider basis in due course, or will it remain a 'Best Buy' exclusive forevermore?

Don't fancy paying those STUPID prices currently quoted at eBay. Sheesh, talk about opportunism...
post #52 of 185
Best Buy got exclusive on a wave on Lionsgate titles recently; the first wave was only exclusive for 6 weeks (HIGH TENSION, HARD CANDY, etc) and are now available at all stores. I can't imagine MBV 3-D would be held back for any longer than 90 days or so, as they'd want to have it more widely available to tie in with Valentine's Day.
post #53 of 185
I watched it the second time on my 82" DLP specifically looking for ghosting and did not see any. The movie was even better the second time as I understood what was going on.
post #54 of 185
It is what it is!
post #55 of 185
I watch my 3D movies on an old Infocus X1 DLP projector at 1024 x 768 res and it has zero ghosting. DLP is great for 3D.

Gae
post #56 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

I honestly think the anaglyph version looked better 3D than this version at least on my set.

If this is truly the case, then there is something really wrong with your setup. Maybe it's disk that you got. You should get another copy of the movie and try it. I didn't notice ghosting while watching on my Panasonic plasma---I'm not saying it wasn't there, but if it was ther it was so minimal that I was oblivious to it. It sounds that on your set it's so noticeable that it totally distracts from the movie. Again, try another copy.
post #57 of 185
There is nothing wrong with the set up, calibration is dead on. I'm using a 1.4 HDMI, a Samung BD-C6900 and a PN63C8000 plasma connected directly with no receiver or switcher in the mix, all other movies look outstanding Coraline, MVA, Ice Age, GC:River at Risk, Into the Deep, Galapagos, Mummies, Clash of the Titans, CWACOM etc... No issue whatsoever. Just this specific title. If BlockBuster has it too rent then maybe I'll be able to compare it with another copy but I don't think they rent 3D titles yet and I'm not paying another cent to own it again I already have the original release with the old style glasses.
post #58 of 185
This is exactly my problem and is part of a review of this disk from BluRay.com:
Unfortunately, the movie is littered with ghosting and transparency issues, and other than a casual observation that the 3D transfer just doesn't handle the darker scenes as well as the brighter ones, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why the image sometimes appears smooth and slick and at other times a character seems to have a green line running down his nose, houses seem to have two roof lines, a shirt collar seems to have added transparent material, a character's hair suddenly becomes see-through, a miner's light looks like it has a little half-sized brother right beside it, or an over-under shotgun suddenly looks like some four-barreled monstrosity. There's no denying that such issues become a distraction. There's also no denying that they're easy to forget when the transfer's going good. These ghosting effects sometimes appear outside an object and sometimes within it; there's no uniformity as to how they look or when they happen, but they put as much a damper on the transfer as do the dark and flat scenes
post #59 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

This is exactly my problem and is part of a review of this disk from BluRay.com:
Unfortunately, the movie is littered with ghosting and transparency issues, and other than a casual observation that the 3D transfer just doesn't handle the darker scenes as well as the brighter ones, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why the image sometimes appears smooth and slick and at other times a character seems to have a green line running down his nose, houses seem to have two roof lines, a shirt collar seems to have added transparent material, a character's hair suddenly becomes see-through, a miner's light looks like it has a little half-sized brother right beside it, or an over-under shotgun suddenly looks like some four-barreled monstrosity. There's no denying that such issues become a distraction. There's also no denying that they're easy to forget when the transfer's going good. These ghosting effects sometimes appear outside an object and sometimes within it; there's no uniformity as to how they look or when they happen, but they put as much a damper on the transfer as do the dark and flat scenes

There was none of that for me. Watched using TMT+Sim3D v185 with Acer 3D Vision monitor.
post #60 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellywell View Post

This is exactly my problem and is part of a review of this disk from BluRay.com:
Unfortunately, the movie is littered with ghosting and transparency issues, and other than a casual observation that the 3D transfer just doesn't handle the darker scenes as well as the brighter ones, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why the image sometimes appears smooth and slick and at other times a character seems to have a green line running down his nose, houses seem to have two roof lines, a shirt collar seems to have added transparent material, a character's hair suddenly becomes see-through, a miner's light looks like it has a little half-sized brother right beside it, or an over-under shotgun suddenly looks like some four-barreled monstrosity. There's no denying that such issues become a distraction. There's also no denying that they're easy to forget when the transfer's going good. These ghosting effects sometimes appear outside an object and sometimes within it; there's no uniformity as to how they look or when they happen, but they put as much a damper on the transfer as do the dark and flat scenes

I'm wondering now if there are different batches of this Blu-ray that were run, where some are more stellar than others. If I were you, I would go to Best Buy and exchange it for another copy. Tell them that it is defective. If you get the second copy home and it looks the same, then something else is going on, but at least you won't be out any more money. Another possibility is that the left eye/ right eye is out of sync on the copy you have. You might try inverting the sync on your TV and see if that works. However, I would still exchange it because you shouldn't be having severe issues with the movie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › My Bloody Valentine 3D Blu-Ray Review