or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › MiniDSP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MiniDSP - Page 57

post #1681 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

About to pull the trigger on the MiniDSP balanced.
i was going to get the 2x4, will this be enough to run more then 4 amps? It only has 4 outputs, but I'm not sure if you can RCA split them without messing the voltage up?
It won't change the voltage. Keep the load driven above 5k and you should be fine.
post #1682 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

It won't change the voltage. Keep the load driven above 5k and you should be fine.

It may be my lack of sleep, but can you elaborate on this?

Also does the PSU / plugin look good as well? Seems like any of the advanced 2-way ones do same thing for subs..
post #1683 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

It may be my lack of sleep, but can you elaborate on this?
When you parallel amplifiers off a source, in this case the MD, you their input impedances will parallel, just like drivers. 2 amps with a 10k Zin will be seen as a 5k load to the MD. As there is nothing in the datasheet that gives a min load, and I don't know what opamp is actually used in them, and I assume it's a nothing special design, keeping the load Z > 5k should ensure the MD doesn't distort because of too great a load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty View Post

Also does the PSU / plugin look good as well? Seems like any of the advanced 2-way ones do same thing for subs..
PSU looks fine. Not sure about the pluin as I don't have that model.
post #1684 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

When you parallel amplifiers off a source, in this case the MD, you their input impedances will parallel, just like drivers. 2 amps with a 10k Zin will be seen as a 5k load to the MD. As there is nothing in the datasheet that gives a min load, and I don't know what opamp is actually used in them, and I assume it's a nothing special design, keeping the load Z > 5k should ensure the MD doesn't distort because of too great a load.
PSU looks fine. Not sure about the pluin as I don't have that model.

Thanks A9'er .
Which model do you use? How's it treating you so far?

Doing some reading it seems the 4 way advanced plugin will work best to take one input and use it on all 4 outputs for subwoofers..
post #1685 of 2293
Well I joined the minidsp club to better eq my sub subwoofer system. I purchased a balanced 2x4 with the advanced 4way plug, since currently my pre pro only has one sub out. I have two JTR OS horn subs in kind of a dual opposed arrangement in the front corner and a velodyne SC 12 along the opposite sidewall and an Epik Empire in the rear corner of the room. I currently use a behr 1124p which seems fine for PEQ but no time alignment. I am hoping the minidsp is an improvement. I do use REW and have seen how important time alignment with the mains is, so my guess time alignment between the subs is equally important.

Is there anything special about combining these different subs that the minidsp will help with beyond time alignment? I know different subs have different phase alignments at different frequencies but not sure if the minidsp will affect that in any way (positive or negative).
post #1686 of 2293
If i buy a minidsp used how does the user go about sending me the plugin?
post #1687 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

If i buy a minidsp used how does the user go about sending me the plugin?

He/She can just email it to you.
post #1688 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Well I joined the minidsp club to better eq my sub subwoofer system. I purchased a balanced 2x4 with the advanced 4way plug, since currently my pre pro only has one sub out. I have two JTR OS horn subs in kind of a dual opposed arrangement in the front corner and a velodyne SC 12 along the opposite sidewall and an Epik Empire in the rear corner of the room. I currently use a behr 1124p which seems fine for PEQ but no time alignment. I am hoping the minidsp is an improvement. I do use REW and have seen how important time alignment with the mains is, so my guess time alignment between the subs is equally important.

Is there anything special about combining these different subs that the minidsp will help with beyond time alignment? I know different subs have different phase alignments at different frequencies but not sure if the minidsp will affect that in any way (positive or negative).

I got the unit running. Didn't have much time to play with it, but wow just eyeballed the distance settings for the OS's, didn't even touch the other subs and evened out my entire first row of seating. Something I struggled with for a long time with the behringer 1124p which obvisouly does not have time alignment. I gues the old saying about having the right tools for the job. Can't wait to see what I can do when I really dial in all four with minidsp/REW. Inputs and outputs look good too. Slight hottler signal going into the subs (maybe not totally sure yet, but the overall output dB measure at the MLP is about 3dB on average higher and much smoother. Some areas that were slightly down are now more than 5db up). Love the crossover options too, I can now slope the rear sub high pass at 48dB/oct which really cuts off some of the higher localizable freqs I was getting.

So far I am really happy. I'll post more next weekend when I can relly dive in.
post #1689 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

If i buy a minidsp used how does the user go about sending me the plugin?

He/She can just email it to you.

^Thanks.

I don't think the original owner was too keen on emailing me the plugin.

MInidsp customer support emailed the original owner and said they would make it available for me to download.

Three emails later and no response. My initial impression of minidsp customer support are not positive.

Guess i'll have to pony up another $10 to license the plugin.rolleyes.gif
post #1690 of 2293
I plan to add a DIY JL12W7 sub with an iNuke3000DSP to my current system with an SVS PB13Ultra sub. But since the iNuke's HPF can't go below 20hz, I am now thinking of getting the non-DSP pro amp and add a miniDSP so both subs can be EQ'd.

Using an Onkyo 818 receiver, a miniDSP and 2 subs. What would be the recommended miniDSP box, the Balanced or the Unbalanced?

With the Unbalanced box, the connection would be.
Onkyo 818, 2 sub out> 2x RCA cable> miniDSP (Unbal)> 1 RCA cable to the PB13U and 1 RCA to XLR cable to the iNuke amp/DIY sub

With the Balanced box:
Onkyo 818, 2 sub out> 2x RCA to bare wire> miniDSP (Bal)> bare wire to XLR cable to the PB13 and bare wire to XLR cable to the iNuke amp/DIY sub

My question is:

Will I get a higher voltage out of the miniDSP Balanced box to power the iNuke amp properly? There are compatibility issues I have heard about consumer receivers not having enough voltage output to run a pro amp. I prefer not to add a bump box to the signal chain if possible.

I assume the SVS PB13U sub will have sufficient voltage with the XLR input from the miniDSP as it is currently connected directly to the 818 sub out without issues, so I will take this out of the equation.

Please help me point to the right direction.

Thanks smile.gif
Edited by weng2x - 9/18/13 at 1:06pm
post #1691 of 2293
Just read the thread from page 1 'till half way today. Now I know what to get for my needs, it's the Balanced version. Will read through the remaining pages and see if there are any discussion pointing me away from getting the Balanced miniDSP smile.gif
post #1692 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by weng2x View Post

Just read the thread from page 1 'till half way today. Now I know what to get for my needs, it's the Balanced version. Will read through the remaining pages and see if there are any discussion pointing me away from getting the Balanced miniDSP smile.gif

There is ZERO negative to the balanced version other than cost. Considering the total cost of a system..the delta is really noise.
post #1693 of 2293
With regards to using a 2 by 4 MiniDsp with the advansed plugin, how hard is it to get the subs, (2 subs in my case) properly EQ'd? Is it just a matter of running REW and importing some measurements? Or what exactly needs to be input to the MiniDsp for EQ'ing the dual subs? Does it come with a manual, and if so, will it describe how to properly set the phase between the subs and mains? I am new to the world of measurements and EQ'ing. Any advise you guys could give to a novice with regards to setting up a 2 by 4 MiniDsp with advanced plug in, for use in EQ'ing 2 subs and blending them with the LCR's, would be terrific!
post #1694 of 2293
post #1695 of 2293
Which plug-in do I need? I want to set the Balanced miniDSP output this way.

Out 1 XLR - goes to the XLR input of SVS PB13 Ultra
Out 2 XLR - goes to the Ch 1 XLR input of iNuke 3000 --- DIY JL12W7 (ported)
Out 3 XLR - goes to the CH 2 XLR input of iNuke 3000 -- DIY sealed Kappa 12d VQ sub (in the future)
Out 4 - no use

The Onkyo 818 have 2 sub outs. It has Audyssey XT32 but no Sub EQ hence, the 2 sub outs are just split from 1.
Edited by weng2x - 9/18/13 at 9:38pm
post #1696 of 2293
Thanks for the link RickD! Unfortunately, after reading that entire thread, I still have some questions.

First, is it possible to do some measurements with REW and have them imported to the MiniDsp, which would then set the proper filters, phase, and delay to each sub, automatically?

How do you know if the subs, and mains, need any phase adjustments? How are those done in the MiniDsp? Is there a specific measurement that will tell you if you need to adjust the phase in a 5.2 setup?

Also, how do you know what the proper delay should be for each sub or main speaker?

Thanks, in advanced, for the help!
post #1697 of 2293
Yes you can generate filter adjustments in REW that can be exported to the MiniDSP. Phase issues are signified by dropping in output around/at the crossover frequency by cancellation. You may also make the proper delay adjustments in the MiniDSP. Have you used either the MiniDSP or REW before? There is a learning curve. Iwould recommend a USB microphone which is much easier to set up and use with REW. There is a thread for that also.
post #1698 of 2293
I have a fairly simple "pre-setup" quesiton. I just got a Minidsp unbalanced from a member here and was just wondering about hot to set it up physically. I have ONE rca sub output on my onkyo 605 and have just used a Y splitter to my twin tht's for years. with the mini dsp do I still need to Y split at the amp and have both rca's going into the dsp? or should I just use one RCA connection from my receiver into one of the inputs of the Minidsp and then have dual rca outs going FROM the minidsp?

also if I do that, is it one of those situations where outputs 2 and 4 and outputs 1 and 3 both correspond to a single rca "input" on the otherside? or is it rca input 1 outputs to output 1 and 2 etc.
post #1699 of 2293
If you use the "4-way advanced" plugin, you hook up only one input. Before being split into 4, up to 6 PEQs are applied, then it splits into 4, and in each of the 4 channels there are 6 so-called "biquads", which can be dedicated to 6 additional PEQs per sub if you use your AVR's crossover as the LPF. See the block diagram in the plugin PDF manual.
post #1700 of 2293
Gotcha the guy I bought it from gave me the 2x4 advance plugin so is that the one I'm looking for?
post #1701 of 2293
The 2x4 advanced plugin PDF manual is here. In it, the block diagram shows input 1 being routed to outputs 1 and 2, and input 2 routed to outputs 3 and 4. If you want to use all 4 outputs, you'll need a Y cable from the AVR to the miniDSP to apply signal to inputs 1 and 2 of the miniDSP simultaneously.
post #1702 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

If you use the "4-way advanced" plugin, you hook up only one input. Before being split into 4, up to 6 PEQs are applied, then it splits into 4, and in each of the 4 channels there are 6 so-called "biquads", which can be dedicated to 6 additional PEQs per sub if you use your AVR's crossover as the LPF. See the block diagram in the plugin PDF manual.

Hi Andy,

If i have the 4-way advanced plugin can i hook up sub out 1 to input 1 of the minidsp and sub out 2 to the input 2 of the minidsp? This should split input 1 to outputs 1-2 and input 2 to outputs 3-4 right?

Sorry for the dumb questions im just jumping into this coming from the BFD :-/
post #1703 of 2293
The 4-way advanced plugin only works on one input, and the other one ends up being unused. To do what you're asking, you'd need the 2x4 advanced.
post #1704 of 2293
Andy,

Will a 2x4 Advanced plug-in work out in my setup with the following sub connections?

miniDSP input 1 - output 1 to the SVS PB13 and output 2 unused
miniDSP input 2 - output 3 to ch1 of iNuke (DIY sub) and output 4 to ch2 of iNuke (DIY sub)

What I am aiming for is a future proof plug-in where I can still use by the time I own an AVR with 2 discrete sub output. At the moment my 818 has 2 sub output but it is just Y-split internally according to the 818 discussion thread.
post #1705 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by weng2x View Post

Andy,

Will a 2x4 Advanced plug-in work out in my setup with the following sub connections?

miniDSP input 1 - output 1 to the SVS PB13 and output 2 unused
miniDSP input 2 - output 3 to ch1 of iNuke (DIY sub) and output 4 to ch2 of iNuke (DIY sub)

What I am aiming for is a future proof plug-in where I can still use by the time I own an AVR with 2 discrete sub output. At the moment my 818 has 2 sub output but it is just Y-split internally according to the 818 discussion thread.

That sounds right. If your current AVR has only one sub output connector, you'll need a Y cable to the miniDSP. If it has two connectors, but not independently adjustable (like my Denon 3312), it's probably easier to just use two cables to connect the AVR to the miniDSP.
post #1706 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

That sounds right. If your current AVR has only one sub output connector, you'll need a Y cable to the miniDSP. If it has two connectors, but not independently adjustable (like my Denon 3312), it's probably easier to just use two cables to connect the AVR to the miniDSP.

What is your opinion about the 2x4 advanced plug-in? It says that 2 pairs of output is for bass driver and tweeter of each input. Will I get into a problem if I use a pair to feed the iNuke with both output set to run subs instead of 1 sub and 1 tweeter?
post #1707 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by weng2x View Post

What is your opinion about the 2x4 advanced plug-in? It says that 2 pairs of output is for bass driver and tweeter of each input. Will I get into a problem if I use a pair to feed the iNuke with both output set to run subs instead of 1 sub and 1 tweeter?

Assuming you're using the crossover in your AVR, you'll just set the crossover in the miniDSP to "Bypass" to disable it. That will pass the signal straight through that section.

Edit: See this tutorial for more info about bypassing the crossover and for general setup info. It's for a different plugin though, but the idea is the same.
Edited by andyc56 - 9/19/13 at 5:48pm
post #1708 of 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

Assuming you're using the crossover in your AVR, you'll just set the crossover in the miniDSP to "Bypass" to disable it. That will pass the signal straight through that section.

Edit: See this tutorial for more info about bypassing the crossover and for general setup info.

When the x-over is bypassed, can I still apply the HPF to the output?
post #1709 of 2293
You mean for a subsonic filter for a vented-box sub? As long as you don't mind applying the high-pass filter in pairs (that is, you don't need different, unique high-pass filters for each of the four subs), you can bypass only the low-pass filter portion of the crossover. There are separate bypass controls for the low-pass and high-pass sections. I don't have this plugin, so I'm just looking at the manual to determine this.

Edit: I'm not sure what the minimum frequency is for the high-pass when entered by the standard method. In the worst case, you might need to go with custom biquad programming. The linked page has a link to the biquad filter spreadsheet, which computes the coefficients.
Edited by andyc56 - 9/19/13 at 6:12pm
post #1710 of 2293
Yes, the SSF of the vented box. Will study the tutorials and see what my options are but this is getting complicated to me. If I can't digest them settings, I'll probably go with the 4-way Advanced as I can set each output individually.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › MiniDSP