or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Rules of Engagement on CBS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rules of Engagement on CBS

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
I was surprised there was no thread for this show. All I can say is Patrick Warburton kills me. Funny, funny guy.
post #2 of 49
This is hands-down my favorite comedy on the air right now. Not to take away from other excellent shows like Community, Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, etc. But for sure Patrick Warburton makes me howl with laughter consistently every week, even in reruns.
post #3 of 49
Spoon!
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I was surprised there was no thread for this show. All I can say is Patrick Warburton kills me. Funny, funny guy.

It's a pretty generic sitcom in every way so nothing of note to discuss on a weekly basis.

I largely watch it because of Warburton. If he wasn't in the show the presence of David Spade would make me switch off. I don't what happened to Spade over the years but ever since he left SNL his roles (and appearances) have just become increasingly more irritating and annoying.

I'd like this show a lot more if Spade wasn't in it.

post #5 of 49
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I agree Spade can be obnoxious at times but that is the role he is suppose to be playing so I can live with it. Anyway, the show is based mainly around Warburton and his wife and I will second what vfxproducer said, on some weeks this can be the funniset sitcom out there.
post #6 of 49
Warburton is the only reason to watch that show. The others just don't cut it. And I hate the fact that had to add a token minority to the show. In their case, it's an Indian which seems to be all the rage on television right now. It's nothing against the guy, I think the character is terrible and the scenes with he and Spade only detract from the show.
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Warburton is the only reason to watch that show. The others just don't cut it. And I hate the fact that had to add a token minority to the show. In their case, it's an Indian which seems to be all the rage on television right now. It's nothing against the guy, I think the character is terrible and the scenes with he and Spade only detract from the show.

Sorry to say, but I'm the opposite of that. "Timmy" is the only reason we watch RoE. Can't stand Spade or his character, but Timmy's interaction with him is what's funny.

side note: if RoE gets too deep into the baby theme this year, our house will be tuning out.
post #8 of 49
Agreed that Timmy was a great addition to the show and at least makes David Spades segments watchable.

On the other hand, whatever happened to the titular "engaged" couple? There role has gradually been reduced to a cameo and they weren't even in tonight's episode!
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Agreed that Timmy was a great addition to the show and at least makes David Spades segments watchable.

On the other hand, whatever happened to the titular "engaged" couple? There role has gradually been reduced to a cameo and they weren't even in tonight's episode!

I guess 3 years is a long engagement.
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Warburton is the only reason to watch that show. The others just don't cut it. And I hate the fact that had to add a token minority to the show. In their case, it's an Indian which seems to be all the rage on television right now. It's nothing against the guy, I think the character is terrible and the scenes with he and Spade only detract from the show.


Get used to it:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment..._characte.html

Last week GLAAD gave CBS a failing grade when it comes to representing gay people. At a TCA session today, CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler said the network would try to rectify this by adding gay roles to The Good Wife (the main character's brother) and sitcoms Rules of Engagement and Bleep My Dad Says (which, thanks to this man, will henceforth be known as Feces My Dad Says), thus giving gay characters the same opportunity as straight characters to deliver jokes only a laugh track finds amusing.


The baby crap was bad enuff!!!
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael252 View Post

Sorry to say, but I'm the opposite of that. "Timmy" is the only reason we watch RoE. Can't stand Spade or his character, but Timmy's interaction with him is what's funny.

side note: if RoE gets too deep into the baby theme this year, our house will be tuning out.

Man...I hate to eat my own words, but Jeff and Audrey were hilarious this episode. (and Timmy? not so much)

Jeff: "Too late...oo, toast!"
post #12 of 49
Yesterday I watched 4 of the six video cast interviews on The Futon Critic. I skiped the engaged couple videos.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Warburton is the only reason to watch that show. The others just don't cut it. And I hate the fact that had to add a token minority to the show. In their case, it's an Indian which seems to be all the rage on television right now.

You also brought this up in the HotP thread and you're still just as wrong now as you were then.

Are you actually watching the show? It's a running gag that Spade makes the same incorrect assumption and is corrected every single time.

He's South African both in real life and in the show. Just because he's colored doesn't make him Indian any more than just because someone is white doesn't make them Canadian. Of which there are far more acting in prime time.
post #14 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

You also brought this up in the HotP thread and you're still just as wrong now as you were then.

Are you actually watching the show? It's a running gag that Spade makes the same incorrect assumption and is corrected every single time.

He's South African both in real life and in the show. Just because he's colored doesn't make him Indian any more than just because someone is white doesn't make them Canadian. Of which there are far more acting in prime time.

Not true. If you watched the show from last week, Timmy told Jeff, just becuase I'm Indian, you think I have relatives in the Oriental Rug business in which he replied yes I do and it ended up being the main theme to that particular episode.
post #15 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael252 View Post

Man...I hate to eat my own words, but Jeff and Audrey were hilarious this episode. (and Timmy? not so much)

Jeff: "Too late...oo, toast!"

I agree. One of the funniest episodes I have seen. They have become the most enjoyable couple to watch on TV. The one-liners from Jeff are killers. Looking forward to tonight's show along with all the other Monday night comedies on CBS. Even the new Mike and Molly is pretty damn funny.
post #16 of 49
Sorry, he needs to go bye bye. I can't stand that character. And tonight, I had to change the channel (10/18/2010). It was just too much. What happened to this show? It used to be the best show on tv. Now it is hit and miss.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by max80122 View Post

It used to be the best show on tv.

Rules was never that. By making that statement this early in your AVS posting career you've just set your bar so low not even David Spade could limbo underneath it!
post #18 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by max80122 View Post

Sorry, he needs to go bye bye. I can't stand that character. And tonight, I had to change the channel (10/18/2010). It was just too much. What happened to this show? It used to be the best show on tv. Now it is hit and miss.

The Jeff and Audrey interaction is worth watching alone. Warburton is one of the funniest people on TV. Still a very good show.
post #19 of 49
+1 on Timmy. I think he was great addition to the cast.
post #20 of 49
VisionOn so happy you can post your opinion on a show and then attack me when I post mine. What a great person you are!!! It is my opinion this was one of the greatest shows that was on TV at that time. NOT OF ALL TIME! Please don't talk to me about my AVS career. If you want me removed, remove me. I won't lose sleep over it. It is my opinion Timmy needs to go. He is not funny. He is creepy. Especially the show on the 18th. Are you Timmy? Is that the reason you feel you need to attack me for posting my opinion that I think this character needs to leave the show? My word. It is a TV show. Wow, they say you can't talk about religion or politics. Now you have to worry about posting YOUR OWN PERSONAL OPINION about a show.
post #21 of 49
Add me to the list hoping the baby thread fizzles out. Has adding a kid to a cast ever made it better?
post #22 of 49
I was never much of a Spade fan but after they added Timmy to the cast I really enjoy the Russell Timmy interaction. Sort of a low key Wile E. Coyote Roadrunner vibe.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by max80122 View Post

It is my opinion this was one of the greatest shows that was on TV at that time.

When you make such a ludicrous statement ("best show on TV") don't be surprised when other people challenge you on it. You didn't say best sitcom.

You can throw a dart in the schedule at any time Rules has been on the air and find numerous other shows on the air that had better writing, acting, casting and production values.

You had better develop thicker skin posting here because if you thought that was an attack you might be in for a shock.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Not true. If you watched the show from last week, Timmy told Jeff, just becuase I'm Indian, you think I have relatives in the Oriental Rug business in which he replied yes I do and it ended up being the main theme to that particular episode.

Which completely contradicts all the other episodes gone before. Go back and watch episodes like the community garden episode and the software launch party episode in which Timmy corrects Russel and throws a tantrum about how he's from South Africa.
post #25 of 49
I thought the epi on the last night was probably the funniest one I can remember. I thought Timmy was hilarious and Jeff is always funny. Actually, the whole cast was funny.
post #26 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Which completely contradicts all the other episodes gone before. Go back and watch episodes like the community garden episode and the software launch party episode in which Timmy corrects Russel and throws a tantrum about how he's from South Africa.

Yes I know. In real life he is from South Africa but could still be of Indian descent as that episode came about just as you had mentioned it. Seems the writers have not decided what to actually make him and will go with whatever fits in at the time that will add to the story line.
post #27 of 49
So Timmy is from South Africa - I swear it sounds like he has a British accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Yes I know. In real life he is from South Africa but could still be of Indian descent as that episode came about just as you had mentioned it. Seems the writers have not decided what to actually make him and will go with whatever fits in at the time that will add to the story line.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubdap View Post

So Timmy is from South Africa - I swear it sounds like he has a British accent.

I don't know for sure but many South Africans are *educated in England. SA is a former British colony and continues to be a member of the British Commonwealth. BTW, if Timmy was from India the same would apply. India is also a Commonwealth member.

* An English education often imparts a British accent. What some refer to as proper English.
post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
Last weeks episode was pretty weak, I hope tomorrow nights is much better. Too much on Spade and Timmy, it is at it's fumiest when they focus on the two couples especially Jeff and Audrey.
post #30 of 49
Moves to Saturdays at 8PM in the Fall: http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/cbs-...day-9-pm-slot/. Either CBS is dumping the show on a dead night (unlikely since it has just renewed it for a full 22 episodes) or it seriously wants to kick-start Saturday nights with scripted programming, something a network hasn't done or tried since forever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Rules of Engagement on CBS