or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subs below $350: Whacha got?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Subs below $350: Whacha got?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm new to the subs world, and trying to understand what is available.

I'm looking for something to compliment my LCR speakers for home theatre, which will all be 100W in-wall speakers that play down to 80Hz. I will never crank my stereo up to reference level, most of my viewing is with my volume between -19dB and -30dB (this is where the WAF kicks in for me). With that in mind, I think it's tough to justify big money for an awesome sub that will never be played loud.

I have a huge room (~8k cf) that the sub will fit in, but I've become to realize that to drive a room that size at a high level, I will need to spend a lot more than I can afford. Maybe one day when the kids are out of the house I'll be able to turn a bedroom into a home theatre room (and will be able to crank it as loud as I'd like to) but that day is a long ways off.

so my requirements are:
1. budget: let's shoot for $350. I can go more, but I have to be convinced it will be worth it.
2. size/form factor: I don't really care.
3. room dimensions: family room that opens into eat in kitchen and is open to the second floor. I'm estimating 8k cf.
4. primary usage: 90 HT/10 music

Here's what I've gathered so far - I'd like to hear recommendations on these, but please feel free to toss out others:
  • emotiva Ultra10 ($289): 200W, 10", sealed, 25-200Hz
  • Elemental Design A3S-250 ($350): 300W, 10", sealed, 25-100Hz
  • Lava LSP12: ($338.46): 250W, 12", ported, 22-200Hz
  • Hsu Research STF-2 ($388): 200W, 10", sealed, 25- Hz
  • BIC F12 ($170) 150W, 12", ported, 25-200Hz
  • BIC PL-200 ($270): 250W, 12", ported, 22-200Hz
(note: cost is delivered)

Thanks!
post #2 of 19
1 sub solution: BIC PL-200 ($270)
2 sub solution: 2 x BIC F12 ($340)

With a room that size, and a limited budget, you really might want to go with option 2. Or, perhaps pick up one PL-200 now, and save up for a second one later.

I should ask this: is this mainly for movies, or is music your priority?

If it's for music, go with Emotiva's sealed sub now and pick up a second one later. If it's for movies, then I really think the two options I listed above are your best bet.

Good luck!
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

1 sub solution: BIC PL-200 ($270)
2 sub solution: 2 x BIC F12 ($340)

With a room that size, and a limited budget, you really might want to go with option 2. Or, perhaps pick up one PL-200 now, and save up for a second one later.

I should ask this: is this mainly fir movies, or is music your priority?

If it's for music, go with Emotica's sealed sub now and pick up a second one later. If it's for movies, then u really think the two options I listed above are your best bet.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply - I'll add the BIC to my list.

I am looking for HT primarily.
post #4 of 19
You could also try buying a used sub.
post #5 of 19
Lava subs.
post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Right now, was I'm looking at things, it comes down to three:
  • BIC PL-200: 12", ported
  • Emotiva Ultra 10: 10" sealed
  • Lava LSP12: 12" ported

Seeing as how I am looking for HT mostly in a large room, I think ported is what I'm looking for, which makes it between the BIC and the Lava. Frankly, I think I like the fact that Lava has a 30 day money back policy - that might be the decision maker right there.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

Right now, was I'm looking at things, it comes down to three:

[*]BIC PL-200: 12", ported[*]Emotiva Ultra 10: 10" sealed[*]Lava LSP12: 12" ported


Seeing as how I am looking for HT mostly in a large room, I think ported is what I'm looking for, which makes it between the BIC and the Lava. Frankly, I think I like the fact that Lava has a 30 day money back policy - that might be the decision maker right there.

My lava is supposed to be here any minute. I'm gonna give my impressions on the lava sub thread shortly after that.
post #8 of 19
Premier Acoustic PA-150 ($362 using codeTV)
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Premier Acoustic PA-150 ($362 using codeTV)

Wow,
Anyone know anything about these?

Aside from these, think of all value that is available these days in subs...unbelievable.
post #10 of 19
i think you'd do a lot better to look at used...maybe an HSU vtf3 mkII 12" sub would be a good option. probably around your price range, or an SVS pb12 or nsd12?
post #11 of 19
I'm very impressed with my lava 12. I can't dazzle you w numbers or readings from an spl meter, but in my living room, this thing sounds awesome. I can't imagine something better that costs the same as what I paid for this.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all of the replies.

One other thing I'd be interested in is a down-firing sub, as I have small children in the house (3 and 1, plus all of the other 1-3 yr olds in the neighborhood). I think down-firing subs would be inherently more secure.

Anyone have any suggestions on down-firing subs in this range?
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

Thanks for all of the replies.

One other thing I'd be interested in is a down-firing sub, as I have small children in the house (3 and 1, plus all of the other 1-3 yr olds in the neighborhood). I think down-firing subs would be inherently more secure.

Anyone have any suggestions on down-firing subs in this range?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

Thanks for all of the replies.

One other thing I'd be interested in is a down-firing sub, as I have small children in the house (3 and 1, plus all of the other 1-3 yr olds in the neighborhood). I think down-firing subs would be inherently more secure.

Anyone have any suggestions on down-firing subs in this range?

I think with your budget, listening preference and room size a ported sub would be your best choice...two ported subs actually. I second palehorse's suggestion or another option would be dual PA-120 subs for a little extra(they look nicer).
post #15 of 19
Quote:

+1, used to own one of these, very nice sub, the tightest ported sub you will find in its price class.
post #16 of 19
I got a Klipsch Sub - 12 used for $300. If you can find one for this much get it. It goes down to 20 hz while still delivering wall rattling bass.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

Thanks for all of the replies.

One other thing I'd be interested in is a down-firing sub, as I have small children in the house (3 and 1, plus all of the other 1-3 yr olds in the neighborhood). I think down-firing subs would be inherently more secure.

Anyone have any suggestions on down-firing subs in this range?

Down firing is fine, but watch out for that port. Is the perfect place to put all your toys...LOL!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andale927 View Post

I got a Klipsch Sub - 12 used for $300. If you can find one for this much get it. It goes down to 20 hz while still delivering wall rattling bass.

I purchased one of these for $249 brand new from newegg.com. I sold it the same day I received it. Definitely wsa not as good as some here hype it up to be. It was okay. But no wall rattling bass like a big sub would produce. and I know it does not go down flat to 20hz with any level of decent output.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

Down firing is fine, but watch out for that port. Is the perfect place to put all your toys...LOL!

Hilarious! Malibu Barbie's new house is shaking!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Subs below $350: Whacha got?