or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG bd-530
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG bd-530 - Page 6

post #151 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
I would say overall its pretty average and a worthy replacement for some of the 1st and 2nd generation players. In brief not bad at all for $65. Hopefully it actually holds up for a while.
Since you own other BR players, or have, do you think the quality of the picture is good on the BD530? I get a lot of grain for some reason. I also don't think it is as brilliant a picture as say, my PS3. I think that the BRs look closer to DVDs but I'm probably imagining it. This is the first dedicated machine I've owned.

I have DVD and BR copies of two movies, Dawn of the Dead (original) and Time Bandits. Now, these are older movies and won't be a great way to examine differences, but I mean to check out how they both look later this week. My son was a monster today so I didn't get much of a chance to do it. Some Blu-Rays showed up from Amazon earlier today and I was able to check out The Dark Knight, which looks good but I am going to check it out on the PS3 to see how it looks there.

If I wind up not being as happy with the picture, I'll just take it back. I kept the box thank god.

Also, anyone have any special user settings or do you all leave it on Standard?
post #152 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but am I correct in assuming that it's possible to upgrade from USB (the manual only mentions the network as the method of upgrading)?
The documentation said you can update via network, or USB or even burned CD/DVD. For USB or CD/DVD, you just have to make sure that the ROM file is on the root of the drive or disc.
post #153 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post
Also, anyone have any special user settings or do you all leave it on Standard?
I set mine to "Movie". I think it was originally set to "Standard" and I thought that the picture had some "grain" in it. Then I switched to "Vivid" and that made it even worse! There's also "Custom" option, but I'll stick to "Movie" for now -- it looks good

Before this player I used my PC to play Hi-Def content, so compare to that I'm very happy with the results
post #154 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2000 View Post
I set mine to "Movie". I think it was originally set to "Standard" and I thought that the picture had some "grain" in it. Then I switched to "Vivid" and that made it even worse! There's also "Custom" option, but I'll stick to "Movie" for now -- it looks good

Before this player I used my PC to play Hi-Def content, so compare to that I'm very happy with the results
I have a similar model LG (both use the same basic firmware, I believe - though slightly modified), and I used to do the same thing until I calibrated my HDTV. I had the sharpness a LITTLE too high - everything looked good except Blu-rays, which looked a little too grainy. So, I set it to Movie, and it looked good. But then, standard def stuff (DVDs and 480p rips off of the USB) looked a little too DNR'd. Plus, 'Movie' makes things a little too dark.

So, once I calibrated it - everything looks perfect on Standard. Putting it on Movie now makes things look too dark and DNR'd.

I recommend you try lowering your sharpness a bit while on the Standard setting, and seeing how it looks.
post #155 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsujin View Post
The documentation said you can update via network, or USB or even burned CD/DVD. For USB or CD/DVD, you just have to make sure that the ROM file is on the root of the drive or disc.
Thank you, I somehow missed that advice re: firmware updates.
post #156 of 433
I tried to update the software via the network but got the message "Retry after checking the network condition". The network test showed everything was okay and accuweather works. Is the message normal if no update is available? Can someone confirm what message you should get?
post #157 of 433
Don't have an ethernet connection in the living room, but are you guys downloading the BD551 firmware for this model? I don't see any other firmware updates for the BD530 specifically on LG's website.

I should read the thread over again, I probably missed this.
post #158 of 433
The "retry after checking the network condition" must not be normal. After trying the software update many many times it eventually found an update. Currently at 31% downloaded and is going really slow. The LG server must be busy. The current version appears to be BD4.784.00.C.
post #159 of 433
Ok a lot of MKVs play but some say "this may not play properly" and then don't play, what could be different about these MKVs?
What can I do to change them?
post #160 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquid View Post

The "retry after checking the network condition" must not be normal. After trying the software update many many times it eventually found an update. Currently at 31% downloaded and is going really slow. The LG server must be busy. The current version appears to be BD4.784.00.C.

Most likely its some firewall issue or something like that. Guess I should exclude it on my firewall on all ports and see if that helps.

Well, that's annoying. Wonder why the one I downloaded was an older one. Maybe its because the page on LG's website lists four identical sets? I guess I can try each one and see if the version on the ROM file differs.

EDIT: Yep, it was the firewall. Stuck the player in my router's DMZ and it updated fine.
post #161 of 433
a quick update on the BD550 player. the picture and sound quality are just fine. i saw really no difference at all from the panasonic bd-55. i set the player to audio pass-through and let the onkyo 805 do all the decoding. however there could be an issue with the BD550 skipping during playback. I watched The Expendables earlier tonight and i noticed it skipped 4 times during the movie. i had go back and manually rewind to watch the sections it skipped. the longest section was almost 4 min. i doubt it was the disc because the disc was not scratched or did i see any visibly discolored areas on the back of the blu-ray. If anyone else has experienced some skipping like this on the BD530, BD550, or BD570, please let us know. My assumption from what ive been able to dig up on these LG blu-ray players is that all 3 are basically the same machine with the difference being the higher models have built-in streaming capability and the bd570 also supports a wireless internet connection via an adapter. The .mkv file playback is obviously an issue with some so if you have to have that, i would try to confirm if the 550 and/or 570 can playback .mkv files.
post #162 of 433
Is it possible to program play files? or chapters on a bluray/dvd
post #163 of 433
Can someone PLEASE figure out why some mkv files won't play? I've tried everything
post #164 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

Can someone PLEASE figure out why some mkv files won't play? I've tried everything

Try re-muxing with mkvmerge 4.0.0 - and make sure Chapters aren't selected when you re-mux.
post #165 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

Try re-muxing with mkvmerge 4.0.0 - and make sure Chapters aren't selected when you re-mux.

I think I might have done that already but I used mkvmerge GUI. does that make a difference?

if I re-mux it do i need to switch any settings?

edit: tried with mkvmerge gui 4.0.0. No luck. Did not work

edit2: the only option i see at this point is a very annoying conversion with mkv2vob. Can anyone confirm that a conversion to an mpeg file will retain the resolution, picture quality and frame rate? thanks
post #166 of 433
Does anyone know if the LG bd 530 is supported by the Logitech Harmony one?
post #167 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

I think I might have done that already but I used mkvmerge GUI. does that make a difference?

if I re-mux it do i need to switch any settings?

edit: tried with mkvmerge gui 4.0.0. No luck. Did not work

edit2: the only option i see at this point is a very annoying conversion with mkv2vob. Can anyone confirm that a conversion to an mpeg file will retain the resolution, picture quality and frame rate? thanks

The option that worked for me (already tested on 3 different non-playable mkv's) as following:

Open your mkv file in tsMuxeR and make sure that your video track is set to level 4.1 or below (see screenshot).



Process usually takes less than 10 minutes Hope it helps
post #168 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2000 View Post
Open your mkv file in tsMuxeR and make sure that your video track is set to level 4.1 or below (see screenshot).
I actually forgot to mention that. I had to tell someone in the other LG thread that. I forget because I've still yet to come across a profile 5.1 MKV, but I have had to re-mux before with mkvmerge.
post #169 of 433
I just thought I would post my 2 cents on the performance of the 530 vs the 550. I have both as well as the LG 42LD550 TV. I also have a Mitsubishi LT-46231 46". Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray and Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-ray. I have connected them all up just to compare.

The short of it is the BD530 and BD550 are very close in video performance with some exceptions. The 530 allows picture adjusts with a disc paused at a scene whereas the 550 does not at least with the latest firmware update. The BD550 is a bit more refined in it's picture modes than the BD530. The 550 matches up pretty close to the same TV picture settings as my Sony and Panasonic Blu-rays. The 530 works best in user or Standard. The 550 works best in User or Standard also, but brightness can be turned down a bit to match the Sony and Panasonic. Overall, the picture is a tad better on the BD550 over the BD530. This is actual viewing after going through Avia and HQV Test Bench DVDs, and then comparing two reference DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I also connected the BD530 and BD550 to a low cost 26" Sanyo LCD to see how PQ looked. My opinion is if you have a cheaper 26 - 32" 720p LCD TV either the 530 or 550 will look great.

I have 2 bd550s and 2 BD530s. Got the 530's for $67 at Sears and the BD550's for $75 each at Wally world, when, for some reason, they marked the BD550s down during the BD530 sales.
post #170 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2000 View Post

The option that worked for me (already tested on 3 different non-playable mkv's) as following:

Open your mkv file in tsMuxeR and make sure that your video track is set to level 4.1 or below (see screenshot).



Process usually takes less than 10 minutes Hope it helps

I downloaded the program and when I loaded the file in it, sure enough it said 5.1. If this works you are a lifesaver thank you so much!

Why did you do M2TS and not the others? (in other words what's the difference)

What do you do with the .m2ts file when you're done? do you make it into an mkv again somehow?
post #171 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I just thought I would post my 2 cents on the performance of the 530 vs the 550. I have both as well as the LG 42LD550 TV. I also have a Mitsubishi LT-46231 46". Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray and Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-ray. I have connected them all up just to compare.

The short of it is the BD530 and BD550 are very close in video performance with some exceptions. The 530 allows picture adjusts with a disc paused at a scene whereas the 550 does not at least with the latest firmware update. The BD550 is a bit more refined in it's picture modes than the BD530. The 550 matches up pretty close to the same TV picture settings as my Sony and Panasonic Blu-rays. The 530 works best in user or Standard. The 550 works best in User or Standard also, but brightness can be turned down a bit to match the Sony and Panasonic. Overall, the picture is a tad better on the BD550 over the BD530. This is actual viewing after going through Avia and HQV Test Bench DVDs, and then comparing two reference DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

I also connected the BD530 and BD550 to a low cost 26" Sanyo LCD to see how PQ looked. My opinion is if you have a cheaper 26 - 32" 720p LCD TV either the 530 or 550 will look great.

I have 2 bd550s and 2 BD530s. Got the 530's for $67 at Sears and the BD550's for $75 each at Wally world, when, for some reason, they marked the BD550s down during the BD530 sales.


Candidly, my testing shows the 530 much more adept at adaptive film deinterlacing than the 550. The mediatek chip in the 530 is the same as the oppo bdp-80 and 83. The 550 uses a broadcom that cannot recognize a number of cadences properly.

Agree - best setting is user and adjust brightness.
post #172 of 433
Ok the file now WILL play but it is very distorted/corrupted like all the colors get inverted and messed up
post #173 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Candidly, my testing shows the 530 much more adept at adaptive film deinterlacing than the 550. The mediatek chip in the 530 is the same as the oppo bdp-80 and 83. The 550 uses a broadcom that cannot recognize a number of cadences properly.

Agree - best setting is user and adjust brightness.

Agree that cadences are not supported well in the 550. Yet for DVD viewing and most BD material most viewers will not see this unless the particular program material lends itself to these.

In my actual reference viewing the BD550 seemed a bit less noisy, with cleaner color definition.
post #174 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 View Post

Ok the file now WILL play but it is very distorted/corrupted like all the colors get inverted and messed up

Output as m2ts was just one of the options. After testing and testing and messing around with different results I finally decided to use "Demux" option. That created 3 separate files: .264 file; .aac file and .sup file. Then mkvmerge did a fine job "sticking" all 3 files together and creating mkv. Try that and see if it works better...
post #175 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by creator2000 View Post

Output as m2ts was just one of the options. After testing and testing and messing around with different results I finally decided to use "Demux" option. That created 3 separate files: .264 file; .aac file and .sup file. Then mkvmerge did a fine job "sticking" all 3 files together and creating mkv. Try that and see if it works better...

Ok thanks

I tried with toy story 3 which was under 5gb and it worked but with files over 12gb it creates a file that plays fine on my computer but on my BD530 it has a LOT of color distortion. Bunch of green/yellow/pink squares it looks like a neon thing.

I will try demuxing it now
post #176 of 433
Well still not working I've even tried to split files
I guess my last resort is to run some files through mkv2vob and make them mpeg files
post #177 of 433
I've just purchased a BD530.

Its functioning well playing blu-ray discs ; )

Concerning the LG BD530 website firmware download:

My BD530 player firmware online (otw) download stopped at 50% so I called LG and got the information below.

The firmware is labled as BD551 on the website support page.

LG telephone support says BD551 is the unit description (product code) and the firmware is correct for the BD530.

Also LG said the current online (otw) firmware update for the BD530 is being pulled for modifications. LG gave no date for the modified firmware update.

It seems to me that downloaded firmware files installed via CD or USB maybe the best way to go for now?
post #178 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjim View Post

I've just purchased a BD530.

Its functioning well playing blu-ray discs ; )

Concerning the LG BD530 website firmware download:

My BD530 player firmware online (otw) download stopped at 50% so I called LG and got the information below.

The firmware is labled as BD551 on the website support page.

LG telephone support says BD551 is the unit description (product code) and the firmware is correct for the BD530.

Also LG said the current online (otw) firmware update for the BD530 is being pulled for modifications. LG gave no date for the modified firmware update.

It seems to me that downloaded firmware files installed via CD or USB maybe the best way to go for now?

So, is it best to just wait ? Any idea what the update was for ?
post #179 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomobux View Post

So, is it best to just wait ? Any idea what the update was for ?

I didn't wait as there is no indication of when the modified update will appear.

I wish LG would name the firmware with the current version number as it appears on the BD device or at least put it in the firmware description.

Anyway it works what more could you ask for? ; )
post #180 of 433
Does anyone have a clue as to what the update was for ?? Anyone think we might get a Netflix app ?? I think I will wait on any update until the dust settles. It seems as tho Samsung updates are creating more probs than fixes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG bd-530