or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG bd-530
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG bd-530 - Page 2

post #31 of 433
I had no idea this thing would play mkv when I bought it lol. So far it plays everything I have thrown at it, from low res avi to high bit rate 1080p mkv's. I'm going to be removing my Patriot Box Office to another room, as this player does everything I need it to do.
post #32 of 433
very surprised that the 550 doesn't play mkvs (at all or very well??) as i would think it is virtually the same box hw and sw wise, w/ exception to more streaming services. now this makes me worry about the 570 as i wanted the local media support and wireless N.

as it stands the 530 does indeed choke on a lot of mkvs. i am trying to find the correlation between an incompatibility w/ mkvs that have .ass subs. So far they have been completely unplayable, but I also have a HDTV rip of The War by Ken Burns (no subs) which also doesn't play so I think there also either a profile or bitrate compatibility w/ AVCHD/x.264 at work here.

anyway, would be really cool if some pioneering folks here were able to hack a 570 version of the fw on the 530 for local media playback (stream mkvs across network like 570) and also, Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, etc.
post #33 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post

the BD530 definitely can play the MKV files. It does it quite well.

I've had a BD570 since May or so. It originally gave me a problem with some MKV files, but LG seems to have corrected that through firmware updates. I bought a BD530 today, tried to play one of the files that the 570 could not play before (but now does), and the file would not play. I returned the player.
post #34 of 433
Does this player have the ability to zoom java blu ray discs?
post #35 of 433
I can confirm that it will not play mkv with .ass subtitles. Lucky for me I only have one movie with that type, easy to demux. So far mine has been great, handles some Futurama episodes I have that had crackly audio when using my PBO, the crackling is gone using the LG.
post #36 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

I've had a BD570 since May or so. It originally gave me a problem with some MKV files, but LG seems to have corrected that through firmware updates. I bought a BD530 today, tried to play one of the files that the 570 could not play before (but now does), and the file would not play. I returned the player.

Hello stranger! Small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

I can confirm that it will not play mkv with .ass subtitles. Lucky for me I only have one movie with that type, easy to demux. So far mine has been great, handles some Futurama episodes I have that had crackly audio when using my PBO, the crackling is gone using the LG.

Shame... though honestly was hoping that was the problem w/ lackluster mkv support so I demuxed it and still no go. Think it's the bitrate (8500kbps). Wonder what the limit is on this thing. So far, quite a few x264 mkvs in 720p that will not play on this 530, and the dreaded bad english message which weirdly enough some have reported but say that their files still play. When I get the pop up, it just goes back to the disc file view.

I betcha a few of these mkvs would play on the 570. Strange that the two players wouldn't be identical in this dept. Now I hear the 570 is a big sluggish on the menu if not downright unresponsive at times, local streaming is degraded (on the fly transcoding?), and the price is more than twice what the 530 is going for now, so don't know which. I just want a full functional device but each seemed gimped in their own way.
post #37 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakujin View Post

Hello stranger! Small world.



Shame... though honestly was hoping that was the problem w/ lackluster mkv support so I demuxed it and still no go. Think it's the bitrate (8500kbps). Wonder what the limit is on this thing. So far, quite a few x264 mkvs in 720p that will not play on this 530, and the dreaded bad english message which weirdly enough some have reported but say that their files still play. When I get the pop up, it just goes back to the disc file view.

I betcha a few of these mkvs would play on the 570. Strange that the two players wouldn't be identical in this dept. Now I hear the 570 is a big sluggish on the menu if not downright unresponsive at times, local streaming is degraded (on the fly transcoding?), and the price is more than twice what the 530 is going for now, so don't know which. I just want a full functional device but each seemed gimped in their own way.

Ok, after demuxing and removing all subtitles, the one movie I had that originally had .ass subs still won't play. In this case it has nothing to do with the bitrate, as this movie is only 6,129 Kbps. The highest I have tried so far was 9,416 Kbps and it plays great. Both films have 1.5 DTS audio. I'm going to keep messing with it and see what else I can find.
post #38 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post
Ok, after demuxing and removing all subtitles, the one movie I had that originally had .ass subs still won't play. In this case it has nothing to do with the bitrate, as this movie is only 6,129 Kbps. The highest I have tried so far was 9,416 Kbps and it plays great. Both films have 1.5 DTS audio. I'm going to keep messing with it and see what else I can find.
I concur. .ass sub removed and still no go. Hmmm... you ruled out bitrate then as my last file that wouldn't play was ~8500kbps. Maybe the profile? Would be jacked it was merely something meta and not the x264 video or AC3/DTS audio itself.

Would be nice if LG engineers would chime in eh? LOL.
post #39 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post
Does this player have the ability to zoom java blu ray discs?
hate to bump, but can someone please confirm?
post #40 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakujin View Post

Maybe the profile?

I think that's probably right, but I'm not certain.
post #41 of 433
I'm thinking about picking this up at Walmart. I don't need streaming or anything. I just want a blu ray player that plays blu rays well and is glitch free. Will this work for my relatively basic needs? Thanks.
post #42 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper0 View Post
Anyone have this?

I bought it at Sears during the deal. Let me just say it's got some serious issues with NOISE.

Every Blu-ray I've tried, excessive sharpness and noise and no way I can figure out how to adjust it.

Terrible compression too, thinking about taking this thing back.
Perhaps your sharpness is set too high. Try lowering it and see if the problem goes away.
post #43 of 433
I purchased at local Walmart. Was so impressed went back and bought another the next day..... couldn't believe they had any left..... for $65 bucks..... everything including sound works great. Have 1 connected to coax and other hdmi to receiver/tv for (true Hd)
all works great... have 2 others (ps3 and samsung bd-p1400) .... am impressed with quality of this player...... $65 ... get real!!!!
post #44 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Does this player have the ability to zoom java blu ray discs?

Anyone?
post #45 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Anyone?

What's a Java bluray? I have Toy Stories 1, 2 and 3 on Bluray. If any of those are java ones, let me know and I will try it out. I've mostly been playing the MKV files on this player. So far it seems quite happy with those MKVs of TV shows. Maybe movie MKVs are a different story for reliability? It probably depends on how they are encoded, and maybe TV shows are done a certain way different than movies?
post #46 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post

What's a Java bluray? I have Toy Stories 1, 2 and 3 on Bluray. If any of those are java ones, let me know and I will try it out. I've mostly been playing the MKV files on this player. So far it seems quite happy with those MKVs of TV shows. Maybe movie MKVs are a different story for reliability? It probably depends on how they are encoded, and maybe TV shows are done a certain way different than movies?

Just picked one up at wal-mart. It does zoom java bds. I am writing up a full review at winstonsreviews
post #47 of 433
I bought a BD 530 a couple of days ago at Walmart ($65) because I want to start using .mkv files. I am NEW to this. I burnt a couple of .mkv files to DVDs. One was about 6GB, burnt to DVD+DL, and the other was 4.36GB, burnt to DVD+R. Both played on the BD 530 without a problem. I now have another .mkv which is too large to fit on a DVD+DL. The image size is 8,541 MB and the disc size is 8,152 MB. Is there any way to compress the file to fit on the DL or any other suggestions? I have compressed DVD files, but like I said, I'm new to .mkv. Thanks for any help.
post #48 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou M View Post

I bought a BD 530 a couple of days ago at Walmart ($65) because I want to start using .mkv files. I am NEW to this. I burnt a couple of .mkv files to DVDs. One was about 6GB, burnt to DVD+DL, and the other was 4.36GB, burnt to DVD+R. Both played on the BD 530 without a problem. I now have another .mkv which is too large to fit on a DVD+DL. The image size is 8,541 MB and the disc size is 8,152 MB. Is there any way to compress the file to fit on the DL or any other suggestions? I have compressed DVD files, but like I said, I'm new to .mkv. Thanks for any help.

External HDD is the best way to play mkv, IMO. Just plug it into the USB on the front and watch away.
post #49 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou M View Post

I bought a BD 530 a couple of days ago at Walmart ($65) because I want to start using .mkv files. I am NEW to this. I burnt a couple of .mkv files to DVDs. One was about 6GB, burnt to DVD+DL, and the other was 4.36GB, burnt to DVD+R. Both played on the BD 530 without a problem. I now have another .mkv which is too large to fit on a DVD+DL. The image size is 8,541 MB and the disc size is 8,152 MB. Is there any way to compress the file to fit on the DL or any other suggestions? I have compressed DVD files, but like I said, I'm new to .mkv. Thanks for any help.

It will fit on a USB drive. You can always play it that way. I think the BD530 can use NTFS formatted disk media, so there shouldn't be a 4GB limit.
post #50 of 433
Thanks, I will put it on an external HD or flash drive, I hadn't thought of that. I still would have liked to put it on a disc. So I take it that there's no way to compress the .mkv file? Thanks again.
post #51 of 433
for what it's worth, this is not a bad little player. review finished.
post #52 of 433
I bought both an LG BD530 and a BD550. Wondering if anyone else has both or even a BD570? It is amazing how ell they compare and while the BD530 was going for $75 in my state, they also were selling the BD550 for the same price!

I've been A-Bing them both for a few days now, and think they are very close. The BD530 actually has faster response to the remote commands and load time, and it plays mp4 from my Flip UntraHD really well.
post #53 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

for what it's worth, this is not a bad little player. review finished.

Thanks for the heads up on the review. Your findings validate what I see in this little jewel. It is hard to believe what this low priced BD player can provide when one thinks about the cost of a unit such as this even a year ago.
post #54 of 433
What is the latest firmware for this player? When I go to LG's product support page for it, I'm just given a long list of firmwares that say they are for the BD551, nothing about one for the 530.....i'm confused.
post #55 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

What is the latest firmware for this player? When I go to LG's product support page for it, I'm just given a long list of firmwares that say they are for the BD551, nothing about one for the 530.....i'm confused.

There's been some Internet chatter indicating the BD530 is a holiday model, kind of how stores will receive specially packed products to sell just for Black Friday. There's no telling if the BD530 is this exactly as Sears and Walmarts are selling them, but I believe it is a very new player, so that's probably why there is no firmware upgrades for it (and why Googled reviews aren't plentiful). Is there a problem you noticed with the stock firmware that necessitates an update already? Just wondering. Thanks
post #56 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCJedi View Post

There's been some Internet chatter indicating the BD530 is a holiday model, kind of how stores will receive specially packed products to sell just for Black Friday. There's no telling if the BD530 is this exactly as Sears and Walmarts are selling them, but I believe it is a very new player, so that's probably why there is no firmware upgrades for it (and why Googled reviews aren't plentiful). Is there a problem you noticed with the stock firmware that necessitates an update already? Just wondering. Thanks

I got two of the BD530s a couple of nights ago for $65ea. at Wal-Mart. Started using one of them today and after checking out the Settings menu I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to update the firmware, which I did. I can't recall the version it downloaded, but I know it installed ok.

BTW, this is my first Blu-ray player. I hear a med-pitch noise sometimes. Appears to stem from the disc spinning in the tray. Is this common with Blu-ray players? Do any other BD530 owners hear this noise. The noise eventually goes away, as if it was on a cycle.
post #57 of 433
I can confirm that there is a firmware upgrade if one has it hooked up to the internet.
A friend who needed a very low priced player bought one and I installed it for him. As soon as it turned on there was a message that an update was available to download an install.
post #58 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I can confirm that there is a firmware upgrade if one has it hooked up to the internet.
A friend who needed a very low priced player bought one and I installed it for him. As soon as it turned on there was a message that an update was available to download an install.

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what happened with mine.
post #59 of 433
Picked this up last night and like some other posters, I may have to go get another one. My parents don't have an HDTV yet, but they do have an ancient DVD player so when they do upgrade this will be there ready for them.

$65 is cheap as hell. We were looking at getting a new stand-alone DVD player because I've been using the 360 or PS3 for years, but the prices for some of the DVD players are comparable, so why not get one dedicated to BR.

I also tested out the Divx stuff this morning via USB and I was ecstatic that it worked. I knew it would, but I had to see it firsthand.
post #60 of 433
We are on our second BD 530 from Walmart and are unable to get the thing to show constant image to the screen. We have called LG twice and downloaded all the firmware updates they told us to. It will not show a constant image, playing the movie for a bit then blank screen then show image then some time later a blank screen. All during this the audio is playing fine.

Any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › LG bd-530