or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread - Page 21

post #601 of 646
I just picked up a Roku HD specifically to stream hbo go, and as you all know Directv doesnt support it. of course I have Directv service. I'm sure everyone's heard it a million times, but is there any workaround, or app that lets you mirror hbo go from a pc? anything?
post #602 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRoku12 View Post

I just picked up a Roku HD specifically to stream hbo go, and as you all know Directv doesnt support it. of course I have Directv service. I'm sure everyone's heard it a million times, but is there any workaround, or app that lets you mirror hbo go from a pc? anything?
I believe you can use PlayOn with the Roku to access HBO.
post #603 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingpanda View Post

I believe you can use PlayOn with the Roku to access HBO.

I have the same issue (except I have Comcast), and yes Play On works but just OK.
post #604 of 646
Sorry! This " thank you" is a little late. I questioned the download speed I was getting with my ROKU and received several answers, all questioning my broadband speed. I checked it out at the two sites mentioned and, indeed, it was very slow. Changed providers and haven't had a problem since. Thank you, again, for your help in solving my problem. HBOGO etc. is a pleasure to watch now. MQ
post #605 of 646
Newbie Question: Roku vs a Sony Blu-ray Player

I don't have a Roku machine. But, I do have a Sony Blu-ray player: BDP - S370, which comes with the ability to connect to the internet to Braviia Internet Video, Netflix, Pandora,You Tube etc.
And, I have Time Warner High Speed Internet and Cable Service (7 MB/sec).

So, having that, would I have any need to buy and use Roku ? Or, with the Sony BD player, can I get most of what Roku offers, without Roku?

This is a real question, from a newbie to this. smile.gif
Edited by See The Light - 7/30/12 at 5:55am
post #606 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

Newbie Question: Roku vs a Sony Blu-ray Player
I don't have a Roku machine. But, I do have a Sony Blu-ray player: BDP - S370, which comes with the ability to connect to the internet to Braviia Internet Video, Netflix, Pandora,You Tube etc.
And, I have Time Warner High Speed Internet and Cable Service (7 MB/sec).
So, having that, would I have any need to buy and use Roku ? Or, with the Sony BD player, can I get most of what Roku offers, without Roku?
This is a real question, from a newbie to this. smile.gif
I don't have a Sony BD player, nor access to their Bravia Internet Video service, but from the listing on the Sony website there looks to be quite a bit of overlap in content between Sony & Roku. Presumably you already know what's available through Sony, so I won't provide a link to that, but here's a link to what's available in the Roku Channel Store: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

There are also "private" channels that are available outside the Roku channel store. These are generally more niche channels than the popular big-boys (Netflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu-Plus, VUDU, etc). There are a few places you can see the list of these channels. Here's one: http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

As far as the main channels go, again, there seems to be a lot of overlap. Of the big-boys, it looks like the main difference is Sony has VUDU while Roku has Amazon VOD. Also of note, you can't currently get YouTube on Roku.

I'd suggest comparing the list of available channels through both services and decide if Roku provides you anything of value in addition to what you've already got with your Sony BD player. Only you know what channels will be of interest to you. wink.gif
Edited by hps70w - 7/30/12 at 3:23pm
post #607 of 646
The statement "You can't currently get Youtube on Roku" isn't entirely correct.I have Youtube on my Roku,but am limited to 1080p videos only.IIRC the code for the Youtube channel is.. "1080p",which i believe is only accessable with the Roku 2XS.
Edited by greaser - 7/30/12 at 3:50pm
post #608 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

The statement "You can't currently get Youtube on Roku" isn't entirely correct.I have Youtube on my Roku,but am limited to 1080p videos only.IIRC the code for the Youtube channel is.. "1080p",which i believe is only accessable with the Roku 2XS.
The 1080p Showcase channel is available through other Roku devices as well. I have a 2XS but I also have an XD and an XDS from the previous generation and can access the channel on all of them. I also have the old original YouTube channel that was available privately before Google asked for it to be taken down. It's really a shame because it's the best implementation of YouTube I've seen on any streaming device including my computer because on Roku it doesn't play the commercials. It's too bad people who came to Roku later are not able to enjoy it the way us old-timers can. I really hope it happens soon but as long as it's been to this point I kind of doubt it.
post #609 of 646
Thanks for the clarification, guys. Perhaps I should have said there's not a dedicated, Roku-supported YouTube channel for new customers. wink.gif

I wouldn't call 1080p Showcase a dedicated YouTube channel for obvious reasons. And technically you can get YouTube through the private Play-On channel, but I thought I'd skip over mentioning that since it's unsupported and somewhat controversial with Roku. Plus it's ridiculous and a bit of a PITA to have to setup Play-On to watch YouTube. I too, have the original YouTube channel, and it really is a shame that it's not available for everyone.
post #610 of 646
I've been hoping for this for awhile, Amazon cloud player coming to Roku soon. Looks like Amazon is doing the match service as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/amazon-updates-cloud-player/#continued
post #611 of 646
How does one get he "1080p Showcase" channel? Thank you. MQ
post #612 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK View Post

How does one get he "1080p Showcase" channel? Thank you. MQ
The 1080p Showcase channel is a private channel, which means it's not in the Roku Channel Store. Private channels are added by doing the following:

- Login to your Roku account at http://owner.roku.com
- Click on "Add a Private Channel"
- Enter the channel code

You might have to enter and exit the Channel Store on your Roku for the private channel to appear. It normally comes in at the end of your list of channels on the Roku homescreen.

You can find lists of private channels on several websites. Here is a pretty good one: http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

The code for the 1080p Showcase channel is "1080p" (without the quotes).
post #613 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

The 1080p Showcase channel is a private channel, which means it's not in the Roku Channel Store. Private channels are added by doing the following:
- Login to your Roku account at http://owner.roku.com
- Click on "Add a Private Channel"
- Enter the channel code
You might have to enter and exit the Channel Store on your Roku for the private channel to appear. It normally comes in at the end of your list of channels on the Roku homescreen.
You can find lists of private channels on several websites. Here is a pretty good one: http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/

The code for the 1080p Showcase channel is "1080p" (without the quotes).[/quot

Thank you. Worked perfectly. Thanks also for the link you provided. MQ
post #614 of 646
I'm a Roku noobie, but looking to replace my dish network with OTA HD channels + Roku and Amazon Prime/Netflix and/or Hulu Plus subscriptions. Questions:

1. Roku is doing $20 off pricing for Black Friday....is that a common kind of thing (ie offered nearly every holiday/special occasion?) or a once-per-year rare/good deal?

2. Is there a web site out there somewhere that has a complete list of what TV shows are available on each of these subscription services? I know it's always changing, but I really need to be able to see some kind of list of shows so that I know ahead of time whether or not these services and a roku really can replace my DN package....
post #615 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post

I'm a Roku noobie, but looking to replace my dish network with OTA HD channels + Roku and Amazon Prime/Netflix and/or Hulu Plus subscriptions. Questions:
1. Roku is doing $20 off pricing for Black Friday....is that a common kind of thing (ie offered nearly every holiday/special occasion?) or a once-per-year rare/good deal?
2. Is there a web site out there somewhere that has a complete list of what TV shows are available on each of these subscription services? I know it's always changing, but I really need to be able to see some kind of list of shows so that I know ahead of time whether or not these services and a roku really can replace my DN package....
Over the past couple of years I haven't seen a sale anywhere near what they are offering this weekend so it's not a regular thing. New channels are constantly being added but you can check out these links for some pretty good lists. There are official channels in the Roku Channel Store and many private channels written by private developers. It's really amazing. Check out their Facebook page as well.
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular
post #616 of 646
The current Roku2 has been out for a while now. Over 16 months. Isn't that longer than normal without a replacement? I got my Roku2 XS back in July 2011.
post #617 of 646
I'm considering a ROKU almost entirely as a music Streamer. It offers Pandora and Slacker the 2 internet services we use the most in my family as well as many others.

My question to the user community here is about the android app and these services. I'd like to be able to access and play content exclusively without the use of my TV. With the ROKU player and the app on my android tablet will I be able to select Pandora or Slacker and chose stations, see song title, album cover, next track, etc, within the Roku App?

I've been looking for a solution to get internet radio on to my whole home audio system and this seems to be close,...anyone have details about the android app for music listening?
post #618 of 646
Buy an internet enabled receiver... Mine (Yamaha) has a dedicated app and works well with a remote. Going to an app all the time is a pain.
post #619 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The current Roku2 has been out for a while now. Over 16 months. Isn't that longer than normal without a replacement? I got my Roku2 XS back in July 2011.
What needs upgrading?
post #620 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

What needs upgrading?

The ability to output pcm from DD+. Right now with Netflix and 5.1 content, the only way to receive it if you have a receiver capable of decoding DD+. If not your only option is to use the stereo pcm output option. My secondary viewing location can handle 7.1 pcm and can only decode the legacy codecs but not the advanced codecs like DD+. So if the Roku2 could decode DD+ to PCM I would have the option to use the Roku2 for Netflix in that location.
post #621 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Buy an internet enabled receiver... Mine (Yamaha) has a dedicated app and works well with a remote. Going to an app all the time is a pain.

SeldomSeen doesn't need to buy a new receiver.All he has to do is connect his Roku to his existing receiver,turn the tv on long enough to navigate to Pandora or Slacker,then turn the tv off and sit back and listen.That's all. smile.gif I do that quite often.
post #622 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The ability to output pcm from DD+. Right now with Netflix and 5.1 content, the only way to receive it if you have a receiver capable of decoding DD+. If not your only option is to use the stereo pcm output option. My secondary viewing location can handle 7.1 pcm and can only decode the legacy codecs but not the advanced codecs like DD+. So if the Roku2 could decode DD+ to PCM I would have the option to use the Roku2 for Netflix in that location.
Complaints about this limitation for so many late-model receivers, to both Roku directly and to VuDu, seems a shrug - - - as they 'refer it to Roku's tech department'. And they in turn will do what, exactly ???
post #623 of 646
Help With Roku 2 XS


Just picked up a Roku 2 XS and I've figured out how to stream my .MKV movies to the tv (they look great btw!), but I can't figure out how to get my audio streaming. Pretty much all my audio files are in WAV format. I can't seem to "see" them when trying to add "Music" to my MediaManager.

Am I doing something wrong? I can add the files to Itunes so if there's an channel for Itunes on the Roku then that'll work too. I would just like to be able to play my audio and I could have sworn I saw that Roku 2 XS accepts WAV files.

My 2 goals were:

1. To be able to stream .mkv or HD movies/files from my PC
2. To be able to stream wav/flac audio

I've got a wireless setup right now, but I might do wired for a little more stable connection.

HELP!
post #624 of 646
I have a Mitsubishi 65813. The manual says that the DVI input is HDCP compliant. I'm trying to connect a Roku HD using an HDMI-DVI cable or a Monoprice HDMI-Component box. In both cases the initial Roku screen comes up, but after about 30 seconds, it disappears and then nothing, until I unplug the Roku box and plug it back in again and then again only the initial Roku screen for 30 seconds and then nothing. I connect via composite and everything appears properly but it looks like crap, so that option is out. Has anyone else had this happen who can help me understand if this combination can be made to work? Thanks, Joe
post #625 of 646
Hi - I have a new Roku, and added it to my Harmony One remote. The remote database had buttons to go directly to Netflix, Pandora and Crackle. Does anyone know if there is a way to add other services, like HBOGo, Amazon, etc? Thanks!
post #626 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryJoe View Post

I have a Mitsubishi 65813. The manual says that the DVI input is HDCP compliant. I'm trying to connect a Roku HD using an HDMI-DVI cable or a Monoprice HDMI-Component box. In both cases the initial Roku screen comes up, but after about 30 seconds, it disappears and then nothing, until I unplug the Roku box and plug it back in again and then again only the initial Roku screen for 30 seconds and then nothing. I connect via composite and everything appears properly but it looks like crap, so that option is out. Has anyone else had this happen who can help me understand if this combination can be made to work? Thanks, Joe

That TV only supports 480i, 480p, and 1080i. You need to set your Roku to 480p.
post #627 of 646
TWC App on Roku – article here smile.gif
post #628 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

TWC App on Roku – article here smile.gif

Too cool, I just put it on my iPad and there's my cable subscription, now available to me anywhere any time. Tech rules! biggrin.gif
post #629 of 646
Sorry to sound obtuse, but how would I change the output resolution if it will not present anything on the screen, as it comes from the box? There is no manual switch on the Roku. This TV will handle 720p via the DVI input, but it looks like, when the HDMI is converted, via the cable, to DVI, the handshake is not completing successfully.
post #630 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryJoe View Post

Sorry to sound obtuse, but how would I change the output resolution if it will not present anything on the screen, as it comes from the box? There is no manual switch on the Roku. This TV will handle 720p via the DVI input, but it looks like, when the HDMI is converted, via the cable, to DVI, the handshake is not completing successfully.
You can change the output resolution of the Roku in the Settings channel, under Display Type, I believe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread