or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread - Page 22

post #631 of 646
Does anyone have any information regarding ROKU adding Showtime Anytime as well as Max Go? I have been unable to verify whether these will be available on the ROKU. Thank You. MQ
post #632 of 646
I don't believe I've seen anything announced anywhere concerning Showtime Anytime or Max Go. In general, Roku does not pre-announce upcoming channels to the public.
post #633 of 646
I have the Roku 2 XS and a Netflix subscription. One of the reasons I purchased the Roku is that I wanted the Dolby Digital sound that was available from NetFlix on various movies (my last Netflix-enabled device didn't offer this).

However, it seems that with Netflix, I must adjust the audio settings of each program I view to select DD5.1, as they all default to Stereo.

I realize that the default audio settings on the Roku have no effect on the auto settings for Netflix content, but I'm wondering if there is any way to get Netflix to default to DD5.1 (when available)? I've been all over the Netflix site and can find adjustments for video quality, but nothing for audio quality.

Thanks,
post #634 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

I have the Roku 2 XS and a Netflix subscription. One of the reasons I purchased the Roku is that I wanted the Dolby Digital sound that was available from NetFlix on various movies (my last Netflix-enabled device didn't offer this).

However, it seems that with Netflix, I must adjust the audio settings of each program I view to select DD5.1, as they all default to Stereo.

I realize that the default audio settings on the Roku have no effect on the auto settings for Netflix content, but I'm wondering if there is any way to get Netflix to default to DD5.1 (when available)? I've been all over the Netflix site and can find adjustments for video quality, but nothing for audio quality.

Thanks,

Once you select 5.1 it should default to 5.1 for every title after that. That is how both of my Roku 2 boxes behave. But if I select a stereo track then it will also default to stereo after that. I've been watching "House of Cards" this weekend. A few of the episodes I watched from my two Roku2 boxes. Each episode was playing 5.1 DD+. I didn't have to change any audio settings when playing each episode to have 5.1 DD+ playing.
post #635 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Once you select 5.1 it should default to 5.1 for every title after that. That is how both of my Roku 2 boxes behave. But if I select a stereo track then it will also default to stereo after that. I've been watching "House of Cards" this weekend. A few of the episodes I watched from my two Roku2 boxes. Each episode was playing 5.1 DD+. I didn't have to change any audio settings when playing each episode to have 5.1 DD+ playing.
I never select stereo. I think sometimes I'll watch content which only provides stereo.
I'll have to pay more attention to see if the 5.1 setting sticks when watching multiple 5.1 programs. It seems like each time I check the audio setting on a program which provides 5.1, it is on Stereo and must be changed.

Strange that there's no way to just make it default to 5.1 if 5.1 is available. I guess this is an issue for Netflix, though.

Thanks,
post #636 of 646
I have been looking all around the internet for an answer but have yet to find one. I have two Rokus, a Roku 2 HD I ordered direct from Roku and a Roku HD I ordered from Amazon (one with the purple base.) I have Roksbox installed on both Rokus and am using my desktop as a media server. All the videos on my server are in either mp4 or m4v format and are both HD and SD. With the Roku 2 HD, I have no problems with playback. On the Roku HD, I get audio and video dropouts at random spots, anywhere from 15 to 90 seconds apart on the SD videos only. A friend of mine did most of the HD rips since I do not have a bluray drive on my computer, but I am pretty sure that he used Handbrake to convert those, same as I did for the SD videos. Either way, all videos play fine on one Roku, SD videos play terrible on the other. Is there a way to figure out if the problem is with the Roku or with Roksbox? I had tried to install Plex on my server previously, but it really bogged he computer down, and I have heard pretty mixed things about roConnect.

I hope this is not the case, but I am figuring it is probably a problem with the Roku itself. Any help would be appreciated!
post #637 of 646
Hey folks...I'm considering getting a Roku HD. I have my fancy pants HTPC in my home theater setup running a 1080p tv and 5.1 surround sound setup (so I'm not likely to use the Roku in my main system any time soon, except maybe for Netflix in surround). And I have a bedroom TV which is a 24" CRT. That said, I suspect a couple of years down the road (probably when I move next), I'll put a HDTV in the bedroom. Any folks using the Roku HD with a SDTV? I know it's not the most common use, but how do people like it? I'm going to be using it just for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and maybe HBO Go.
post #638 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post

Hey folks...I'm considering getting a Roku HD. I have my fancy pants HTPC in my home theater setup running a 1080p tv and 5.1 surround sound setup (so I'm not likely to use the Roku in my main system any time soon, except maybe for Netflix in surround). And I have a bedroom TV which is a 24" CRT. That said, I suspect a couple of years down the road (probably when I move next), I'll put a HDTV in the bedroom. Any folks using the Roku HD with a SDTV? I know it's not the most common use, but how do people like it? I'm going to be using it just for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and maybe HBO Go.

I have an XDS in out LR on the 32" LCD and I just bought a Roku 3 for the 61" DLP. I love them both
post #639 of 646

This thread seems to be a bit untraveled of late but hopefully someone can help me out.

 

I have a Roku XD box that I got in a woot sale. I tried to add the spotify app to it but apparently the XD is not on the compatibility list for the app.

 

Anyone know of a workaround or hack to get the spotify app and/or the new updated Roku interface on the Roku XD?

 

post #640 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

This thread seems to be a bit untraveled of late but hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a Roku XD box that I got in a woot sale. I tried to add the spotify app to it but apparently the XD is not on the compatibility list for the app.

Anyone know of a workaround or hack to get the spotify app and/or the new updated Roku interface on the Roku XD?



I've got the old Roku XD set up in the guest bedroom with the latest firmware. There is no selection for Spotify so a work-around (if it exists) is your only option.
post #641 of 646
If you are a Comcast and HBO subscriber, like me you are probably disappointed that Comcast does not support HBO Go on the Roku. Please consider messaging Sam Schwartz on twitter @samschwartz and/or sending faxes to his attention at 215-981-7790.
post #642 of 646
I have a Roku 2 XS and just noticed that when watching streaming content from Netflix, I'm not able to select DD sound even when the program state that it has it in the description.

For example, when I look at the TV series named Revolution, it says it is presented in Super HD and 5.1)), but when I click on Audio & Subtitles, I'm only presented with one choice: English (Stereo).

When I play the content, my AVR (Denon AVR3313CI) only sees a Stereo signal.

I've checked my "playback settings" on my Netflix account and the Data Usage is set to "High", which says "HD video quality".

I've tried many different programs, both TV shows and movies and none of them provide me with the option to select DD audio.

I feel sure this worked when I first purchased the Roku - In fact, the ability to get DD audio was one of the reasons I purchased the Roku in the first place. My previous Netflix steaming device (A Samsung Blu-Ray player) would not stream DD.

Is something wrong with my Roku?

Thanks,
post #643 of 646
Make sure you have 5.1 surround selected in the Roku audio settings too.
post #644 of 646
There was no such menu item. However, after rebooting the Roku, there is now an "Audio Mode" menu where I can select between Stereo and Surround Sound. I selected Surround Sound and now when I choose content from Netflix which claims to have DD 5.1)), I am able to select DD and the program does in fact play with DD.

Thanks for your help.
post #645 of 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

There was no such menu item. However, after rebooting the Roku, there is now an "Audio Mode" menu where I can select between Stereo and Surround Sound. I selected Surround Sound and now when I choose content from Netflix which claims to have DD 5.1)), I am able to select DD and the program does in fact play with DD.

Thanks for your help.

Does the Roku XDS support DD 5.1??
post #646 of 646
The XDS will pass thru DD digital surround via HDMI or your optical port to a surround receiver/AVR. The Roku doesn't "support" or decode surround on its own.

Not sure if the XDS will pass thru Dolby Digital Plus; the surround formats that VUDU & Netflix use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread