or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV - Page 2

post #31 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyd5 View Post

Does it support the same file types as the Logitech Revue?

I'd expect the file type support to be very similar to the Revue. The problem that CE manufacturers face when stating support for a file type like mkv is that those files can be across the board in terms of how they are encoded (avc levels, bitrate, etc.) and the audio tracks/subtitles included.

The Revue support site denotes "beta" on the list of supported file types while the Sony online help states "Other files (e.g. MPEG/M2TS/AVI/MKV files) are not supported, but you may be able to play them back."

I would read that as the NSZ-GT1 will playback those file types but Sony won't guarantee 100% compatibility.
post #32 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Next, does anyone know if Google has gotten any closer to adding Hulu to this offering? Sony has this locked this feature in with other newer devices, but Google needs to work this out with Hulu. There is a lot of speculation, but nothing for sure yet.This will allow a lot of potential users, like myself, to be able to drop their HTPC.

Haven't heard anything, but it has the Chrome browser which should show any website, so you could go to the Hulu website - of course Hulu may block the specific browser based on its 'user agent' - but as soon as the Android market becomes available on the GTV then people can use other browsers (or change the user agent), at which point Hulu are screwed - so they might as well stop obstructing and get on with the future
post #33 of 727
Google appears utterly uninterested in an arms race with Hulu. It would prove they don't play nice with content people. Free Hulu seems like a PC-only phenomenon and increasingly endangered.

Also, Sony is foolish for not rolling out a version of this for PS3 (yes, I am aware it lacks HDMI in, I've posted that elsewhere). There are millions of PS3's out there and they'd only become more indispensable to people if they could play tons of nifty web-based video. How horrible that would be to own the "other set top box". It mystifies me they haven't figured that out in the past 4 years, instead crippling PS3 at every turn. (PS3 currently has the highest-end Netflix client in the discless version.. so maybe there is a tiny bit of hope.)

This thing does seem intriguing vs. the Logitech, given the relatively small premium and the chance to replace an item most people have or want (the disc player). That said, if it does less than Revue (format wise, IR blaster-wise, etc....) it might not be worth it.
post #34 of 727
After having a little time to play around with it, I have determined my DLNA servers are not working properly. I have a pogoplug, and it can stream anything and everything buy MKVs, I have transcoded to 1080p H.264 with DD passthrough, and it works on the DLNA, no issues. I'm a mac user, and I've tried Twonky, iSedora, and Playback, and I have issues with MKV, but not with anything else. Playback seems to work the best, but after a while (3-5 minutes) it just stops for a while, or stops altogether.

I've discovered that the GoogleTV box doesn't like any locally attached drives, unless they are formatted FAT... no NTFS, no HFS+, only FAT32! So, my MKV files are all too big to fit, so I used MKVToolnix to chunk some files out at 1GB slices. I put them on a jump drive, and the GoogleTV box plays them back perfectly. 1080p H.264, VC1, whatever, I haven't had an issue yet. I get full DD support as well. It does play through the filelist like a playlist, but there is a slight gap when one file stops and the next begins. It's about every 5-6 minutes for a 1080p video file.

Hulu.com does not work, browser identification says no, and CBS.com also does not work, they say not supported on this browser. ABC.com works though. The Hulu message is that they are working quickly to get it all fixed for Hulu Plus. I'm Hulu plus, so let's get on with it.

I want APPS. Dedicated ESPN FF app, Google Voice (at least a notifier), let's get on with it. I also can't find the Droid Remote app in the Google Apps Marketplace, not sure where it is.

All in all, it's awesome.
post #35 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

After having a little time to play around with it, I have determined my DLNA servers are not working properly. I have a pogoplug, and it can stream anything and everything buy MKVs, I have transcoded to 1080p H.264 with DD passthrough, and it works on the DLNA, no issues. I'm a mac user, and I've tried Twonky, iSedora, and Playback, and I have issues with MKV, but not with anything else. Playback seems to work the best, but after a while (3-5 minutes) it just stops for a while, or stops altogether.

I've discovered that the GoogleTV box doesn't like any locally attached drives, unless they are formatted FAT... no NTFS, no HFS+, only FAT32! So, my MKV files are all too big to fit, so I used MKVToolnix to chunk some files out at 1GB slices. I put them on a jump drive, and the GoogleTV box plays them back perfectly. 1080p H.264, VC1, whatever, I haven't had an issue yet. I get full DD support as well. It does play through the filelist like a playlist, but there is a slight gap when one file stops and the next begins. It's about every 5-6 minutes for a 1080p video file.

Hulu.com does not work, browser identification says no, and CBS.com also does not work, they say not supported on this browser. ABC.com works though. The Hulu message is that they are working quickly to get it all fixed for Hulu Plus. I'm Hulu plus, so let's get on with it.

I want APPS. Dedicated ESPN FF app, Google Voice (at least a notifier), let's get on with it. I also can't find the Droid Remote app in the Google Apps Marketplace, not sure where it is.

All in all, it's awesome.

Is there any type of network browser built in that supports SMB shares?
post #36 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Is there any type of network browser built in that supports SMB shares?

My guess is that something like this could come along in a future version, OS update, or in a future App, but for now, no. It's all DLNA. It can only discover DLNA servers on the network and USB attached drives. The Gallery app though is identical to the Android phone version, and it can access all the picasa online shares and display photos full screen, Pandora is great, so really, my only issue is my local TV/Movie video archives that I want to access, and hopefully the DLNA apps can improve and address whatever issue is causing them to cut out.
post #37 of 727
This box supports Dish network satellite receivers. Anyone know whether it also supports the (terrestrial) Dish network DTVPal DVR?
post #38 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post


My guess is that something like this could come along in a future version, OS update, or in a future App, but for now, no. It's all DLNA. It can only discover DLNA servers on the network and USB attached drives. The Gallery app though is identical to the Android phone version, and it can access all the picasa online shares and display photos full screen, Pandora is great, so really, my only issue is my local TV/Movie video archives that I want to access, and hopefully the DLNA apps can improve and address whatever issue is causing them to cut out.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for FiOS integration and SMB shares support. DLNA just doesn't cut it for me.

I need full direct access to my library via SMB on WHS, coverart, metadata, bitstreamed HD audio, and 1080/24p (23.976) support, before one of these can replace a HTPC or media streamer... hopefully it'll get there.
post #39 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for FiOS integration and SMB shares support. DLNA just doesn't cut it for me.

I need full direct access to my library via SMB on WHS, coverart, metadata, bitstreamed HD audio, and 1080/24p (23.976) support, before one of these can replace a HTPC or media streamer... hopefully it'll get there.

My guess is a that a specific media player app will come in the market place that will satisfy this need. 1080/24p is already not an issue, mine switches to 24p and the TV displays that when playing back 24p MKV files. Not sure on the Bitstreamed HD audio, I'm just feeding toslink to my receiver.
post #40 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post


My guess is a that a specific media player app will come in the market place that will satisfy this need. 1080/24p is already not an issue, mine switches to 24p and the TV displays that when playing back 24p MKV files. Not sure on the Bitstreamed HD audio, I'm just feeding toslink to my receiver.

Well, since it's a bluray player, the 24p support and HD audio wouldn't come as a surprise, but that's great!

So the wait is on for a decent app and FiOS integration...
post #41 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

After having a little time to play around with it,

Excuse me, what was it you got - the Sony Bluray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

I have determined my DLNA servers are not working properly. I have a pogoplug, and it can stream anything and everything buy MKVs, I have transcoded to 1080p H.264 with DD passthrough, and it works on the DLNA, no issues. I'm a mac user, and I've tried Twonky, iSedora, and Playback, and I have issues with MKV, but not with anything else.

Well, Win7 doesn't DLNA serve MKV either unless you install some tweaks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

I've discovered that the GoogleTV box doesn't like any locally attached drives, unless they are formatted FAT... no NTFS, no HFS+, only FAT32!

Yes, the Logitech box didn't either. I wonder if this is a licensing issue, that someone decided it's too expensive. My little sony ericsson can set up its folders up as windows shares, my android can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

So, my MKV files are all too big to fit, so I used MKVToolnix to chunk some files out at 1GB slices. I put them on a jump drive, and the GoogleTV box plays them back perfectly. 1080p H.264, VC1, whatever, I haven't had an issue yet. I get full DD support as well. It does play through the filelist like a playlist, but there is a slight gap when one file stops and the next begins. It's about every 5-6 minutes for a 1080p video file.

I wonder if it could play a DVD, that is a Video_ts folder with a DVD structure (as opposed to an iso)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

Hulu.com does not work, browser identification says no, and CBS.com also does not work, they say not supported on this browser.


If you are up for some testing, it would be interesting if you were to visit this website in your Google TV Browser:

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/


And tell us what it says under "Your User Agent is:" - that is the identification it tells websites.

Also, does this version of Chrome support extensions? I think there are some which changes the user agent (could be wrong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrog View Post

I want APPS. Dedicated ESPN FF app, Google Voice (at least a notifier), let's get on with it. I also can't find the Droid Remote app in the Google Apps Marketplace, not sure where it is.


Regarding apps, here is another test you can make.

In your browser on your macintosh go to this link
http://www.getjar.com/mobile/43600/angry-birds

Click the "download app", when the site asks what phone you have, enter the name of your android phone (the droid).

Then chose the "download to computer" option, and click on the "download this application to your computer."

You will then be asked to find a location on your drives to save the file called AngryBirds_1.3.5.apk - this is an Android file (and thus won't run on Mac or PC)

I am assuming the Macintosh browser can save a binary file in its original state without appending or removing anything.

You'll need a gmail account for this - but I assume you have one.

Open your Gmail in the browser on your mac.
Send an email to YOURSELF and attach the APK file.

Now open your Gmail on the Google TV and see if you can run the APK attachment.

This works on phones - the phones will warn you that this is a program from an unknown source, and if you really want to install this. (This APK is from a commercial company with a good reputation, but its up to you if you trust them of course)

If people use the Gmail app on the phones there is an "install" button right on the attachment.

Now what I would like to know is if they have specifically added code to prevent install, or if the Google TV will simply install this in which case you can now play Angry Birds on the TV (but the controls might be annoying I expect).
post #42 of 727
"Now what I would like to know is if they have specifically added code to prevent install, or if the Google TV will simply install this in which case you can now play Angry Birds on the TV (but the controls might be annoying I expect)."

I believe the controls would be impossible. Unless the Android version is very different from the iOS version, it will require touch input.
post #43 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Best Buy will sell this on 10/25 in store. You can order it now.

Sony Style releases this unit tomorrow.


I just bought one from our local Best Buy tonight. It was not even hooked up yet. They only had two in the store but the guy whol sold it to me stated they have 25 more on the way.

I haven't hooked it up yet because my LG 60PK950 has not arrived yet.

I've enclosed a couple of pics
LL
LL
LL
post #44 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

I would imagine that the PS3 will never have the Google TV features. I state this because the Google TV is not a Sony product and both devices target different markets. Sure a ton of people use thier PS3 as a media hub, but its real purpose is for gaming with some media features. The new line of x70 BR players from Sony are also filling this media hub niche, but with more internet content to choose from. The only difference the BR adds is more internet apps/ widgets, quieter unit, faster start up times, and cell phone remote app.

The new Sony Goolgle TV BR player is trying to compete with the Apple TV, Roku, PopCorn Hour, and WMC7 based devices. Sure the cost is outrages compared to those devices today, but I am sure in the next 6-12 months more functionality will be provided into these units. The PS3 has more than enough horsepower, but it not intended to serve as the same type of device.

This is my opinion, but think of it this way. If they put this on a PS3, it would be whole new hardware, and it would cost you $500-600 dollars for the unit. Sony needs to pay the licensing fee to Google some way and they will not give it away for free!

Google TV like Android, I believe is open source. It shouldn't require paying licenses to Google.
post #45 of 727
Definite difference between open source and paying license royalties. One is you can code on, the other is owned by a company for which it would let others develop and sell a product around! I guarantee they are paying some licensing fee or royalties to Google. that is like saying that every cell phone vendor that uses Android OS pays Google nothing to use it. If only that was true... Thank you for the laugh


Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

Google TV like Android, I believe is open source. It shouldn't require paying licenses to Google.
post #46 of 727
Well,

Out of curiousity I went out and bought the Sony NSZ-GT1. Like I have been saying for ever, it will get considerably better in 6 months. What I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that in already includes all the Sony Bravia Internet Widgets, like on the latest Sony BR DVD players. Fortunately, it offers much more than just Netflix, NBC, CNBC, Twitter, and the rest.

I have it set up to a Moto DCX3400, from Comcast. The set up was pretty brainless. It walks you though every step. The GT1 controls the Cable box just fine, and it allows me to get into the Guide, DVR, and all menus easily. The one thing that I am disappointed that when you turn everything off, you have to hit 2-3 buttons to turn off each device, compared to the one power button on my Harmony One remote. The Sony remote also does not turn off the cable box, so it is constantly on drawing energy. Hopefully I am overlooking something, but there seems to be not info on how to do this.

The thing I didn't expect was that it forces you to use the IR transmitters, even though the included remote is capable of transmitter an IR signal. The remote/keyboard is like holding an Xbox controller with the qwerty keypad attached. The remote itself transmits via RF to the main player. This is good, since you don't have to directly point at it to make it all work. The controller isn't as nice as my harmony with the various macros, but it does a good job controlling all my devices.

The Blue Ray and regular DVD plays flawless, and instantly plays once you pop in the Disc. The audio works well providing crisp DD or DTS surround sounds.

You can customize the home screen to present you with the programs you like and use the most.

I haven't tried loading a bunch of android apps, but will do so in the next couple of days.

The one problem I am having is that I can't get Live TV audio to be produced in Dolby Digital. Everything seems to be in PCM 2-channel, regardless of the settings I have on the Comcast Moto DCX3400 box or the Sony GT1. I have it set up in the following fashion. I have an HDMI cable going from my cable box to the GT1. Next I have another HDMI cable going from my GT1 to my TV. I have an Optical Toslink cable going from the Sony GT1 to my receiver. I have the setting, in the GT1, giving priority to the Optical Audio Cable. I also ensured all the content I am playing is being broadcast in DD 5.1. I will have to investigate this on Monday, when Sony's product specialists are available. If this can't get fixed, then this is a deal breaker. I would love to hear if others have this working. Bottom line, it seems that the Sony GT1 is not passing through the DD signal form the HDMI to the Optical Cable. All it seems to do is pass it through as PCM 2 Channel Sound.

Another I thing tested and had no luck with is Playon UPnP Media Server. It sees all the menus, but doesn't play any of the content. I will see that is going on, since I am easily able to do this with my PS3. I think the DNLA portion was developed by Google and not Sony, which would explain the differences.


I will play with it some more and give another update soon.
post #47 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Well,

Out of curiousity I went out and bought the Sony NSZ-GT1. Like I have been saying for ever, it will get considerably better in 6 months. What I was pleasantly surprised with the fact that in already includes all the Sony Bravia Internet Widgets, like on the latest Sony BR DVD players. Fortunately, it offers much more than just Netflix, NBC, CNBC, Twitter, and the rest.

I have it set up to a Moto DCX3400, from Comcast. The set up was pretty brainless. It walks you though every step. The GT1 controls the Cable box just fine, and it allows me to get into the Guide, DVR, and all menus easily. The one thing that I am disappointed that when you turn everything off, you have to hit 2-3 buttons to turn off each device, compared to the one power button on my Harmony One remote. The Sony remote also does not turn off the cable box, so it is constantly on drawing energy. Hopefully I am overlooking something, but there seems to be not info on how to do this.

The thing I didn't expect was that it forces you to use the IR transmitters, even though the included remote is capable of transmitter an IR signal. The remote/keyboard is like holding an Xbox controller with the qwerty keypad attached. The remote itself transmits via RF to the main player. This is good, since you don't have to directly point at it to make it all work. The controller isn't as nice as my harmony with the various macros, but it does a good job controlling all my devices.

The Blue Ray and regular DVD plays flawless, and instantly plays once you pop in the Disc. The audio works well providing crisp DD or DTS surround sounds.

You can customize the home screen to present you with the programs you like and use the most.

I haven't tried loading a bunch of android apps, but will do so in the next couple of days.

The one problem I am having is that I can't get Live TV audio to be produced in Dolby Digital. Everything seems to be in PCM 2-channel, regardless of the settings I have on the Comcast Moto DCX3400 box or the Sony GT1. I have it set up in the following fashion. I have an HDMI cable going from my cable box to the GT1. Next I have another HDMI cable going from my GT1 to my TV. I have an Optical Toslink cable going from the Sony GT1 to my receiver. I have the setting, in the GT1, giving priority to the Optical Audio Cable. I also ensured all the content I am playing is being broadcast in DD 5.1. I will have to investigate this on Monday, when Sony's product specialists are available. If this can't get fixed, then this is a deal breaker. I would love to hear if others have this working. Bottom line, it seems that the Sony GT1 is not passing through the DD signal form the HDMI to the Optical Cable. All it seems to do is pass it through as PCM 2 Channel Sound.

Another I thing tested and had no luck with is Playon UPnP Media Server. It sees all the menus, but doesn't play any of the content. I will see that is going on, since I am easily able to do this with my PS3. I think the DNLA portion was developed by Google and not Sony, which would explain the differences.

I will play with it some more and give another update soon.

Couldn't you also connect an optical cable from the cablebox to the receiver, thus bypassing the PCM issue?

Also, you say it controls the comcast box; but, does it also integrate the Comcast guide data and dvr recordings into the search results? I thought that Dish was the only supported cable service at this point, so that would be news to me...
post #48 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Another I thing tested and had no luck with is Playon UPnP Media Server. It sees all the menus, but doesn't play any of the content. I will see that is going on, since I am easily able to do this with my PS3. I think the DNLA portion was developed by Google and not Sony, which would explain the differences.


I will play with it some more and give another update soon.

any chance you want to give tversity a shot?
i've personally had much better results using it over playon with my xbox 360.
post #49 of 727
I thought also about connecting an optical cable from the Comcast Cable box, but I soon realized that I would have to make sure that the proper audio option (Video 1, Video 2, etc) is selected on the receiver when I am watching live TV. I would need to do this because this is the only way to select the proper audio input for the Sony NSZ-GT1 and my Comcast Cable box. This would resolve the my problem with having the digital signal pass to my receiver, but this would then introduce a new problem. I would need something to choose the audio selection every time I go from Live TV to another function on the Sony GT1. A harmony remote would probably do this due to it's macro support, but the current NSG-MR1 remote that comes with the Sony NSZ-GT1 doesn't have such a support. Since I don't have a Harmony 900 or 1100, I can't test this at this time. This then forces me to have two controllers, my old Harmony One or Receiver remote, and hit them every time I switch. In my opinion, this defeats the purpose of having an easy to use device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Couldn't you also connect an optical cable from the cablebox to the receiver, thus bypassing the PCM issue?

I also thought that Dish was the only supported company, but when I went to the Sony Style store I noticed they were using DirectTV on all their sample televisions. I am not sure if this is a Satellite vs Cable thing, but I do know that Google is trying to be agnostic with the content vendors, even thought they launched with Dish. If you think about it, it does all the integration that is described with dish, I just have the audio pass through problem. Either the Sony GT1 truly needs a specific audio stream to work, which I find hard to believe, or they are purposely blocking some content providers due to the joint Dish launch. Hopefully someone else can test this set up on someone other than Dish.

Also, you say it controls the concede box; but, dies it also integrate the Comcast guide data and dvr recordings into the search results? I thought that Dish was the only supported cable service at this point, so that would be news to me...

Bottom line I am sure the audio thing is either a temporary thing or hopefully a setting I am just not figuring out. If not, then I will go back to my Sony 3D BR player, which I replaced with this unit.

The controller is also a game breaker. If I can't have one controller to turn everything on or off, then this just doesn't work. I really don't know why Sony didn't build this basic feature into this remote, since they build it into their other universal remotes. I don't want to spend another $225-250 dollars on a Harmony RF controller, since it would bring my total purchase price to $680 dollars. I am still trying to determine if the $420 dollars, with tax, for the NSZ-GT1 is worth the price.
post #50 of 727
thank you for the suggestion. I only used Playon to gain more internet application access, for example to Hulu and other items as such. My NAS has a DNLA svr, which I can take content off of easily. Thank you again for the suggestion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

any chance you want to give tversity a shot?
i've personally had much better results using it over playon with my xbox 360.
post #51 of 727
For those who bought NSZ-GT1 how is the blu-ray picture and audio quality compared to the PS3?
post #52 of 727
The NSZ-GT1 seems to produce a similar PQ for Blue Rays compared to both the BDP-sX70 line of Sony BR players and PS3.

The Color Saturation and and Contrast seem identical comparing the three.

The one thing I do notice a is that the upscaling of standard DVDs doesn't seem to be as sharp. I don't know if they are using the same upscaling chip that the use in their BR players and PS3. It still looks really good, but this is my perception that i produces a slightly inferior upscaling PQ.

I hope this helps.
post #53 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Definite difference between open source and paying license royalties. One is you can code on, the other is owned by a company for which it would let others develop and sell a product around! I guarantee they are paying some licensing fee or royalties to Google. that is like saying that every cell phone vendor that uses Android OS pays Google nothing to use it. If only that was true... Thank you for the laugh

They do not pay Google to use it. Google has some hardware and software specifications that your device must be able to support if you are going to use the Google name and use the proprietary Google applications on your device, if you don't care about that (like some of the cheap Asian Android tablets) you can go right ahead without any commitment. But nobody pays Google a dime for using Android.
However others are muscling in, Microsoft threaten HTC with lawsuits, so HTC are now, ironically, paying Microsoft a bit for each Android phone they are selling.
post #54 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

I thought also about connecting an optical cable from the Comcast Cable box, but I soon realized that I would have to make sure that the proper audio option (Video 1, Video 2, etc) is selected on the receiver when I am watching live TV. I would need to do this because this is the only way to select the proper audio input for the Sony NSZ-GT1 and my Comcast Cable box. This would resolve the my problem with having the digital signal pass to my receiver, but this would then introduce a new problem. I would need something to choose the audio selection every time I go from Live TV to another function on the Sony GT1. A harmony remote would probably do this due to it's macro support, but the current NSG-MR1 remote that comes with the Sony NSZ-GT1 doesn't have such a support. Since I don't have a Harmony 900 or 1100, I can't test this at this time. This then forces me to have two controllers, my old Harmony One or Receiver remote, and hit them every time I switch. In my opinion, this defeats the purpose of having an easy to use device.

Bottom line I am sure the audio thing is either a temporary thing or hopefully a setting I am just not figuring out. If not, then I will go back to my Sony 3D BR player, which I replaced with this unit.

The controller is also a game breaker. If I can't have one controller to turn everything on or off, then this just doesn't work. I really don't know why Sony didn't build this basic feature into this remote, since they build it into their other universal remotes. I don't want to spend another $225-250 dollars on a Harmony RF controller, since it would bring my total purchase price to $680 dollars. I am still trying to determine if the $420 dollars, with tax, for the NSZ-GT1 is worth the price.

Does your comcast dvr and guide data show up in the GTV search results?

I was under the impression that GTV only integrated with Dish STBs, for now, so this would be news to me.
post #55 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Does your comcast dvr and guide data show up in the GTV search results?

I was under the impression that GTV only integrated with Dish STBs, for now, so this would be news to me.

They've said before that at the moment only the Dish DVR "talks back" to the device - but that it will search anything which can be searched. Ie it can tell you that something is coming up on comcast, but not if you have recorded it.

For now anyway, if Comcast says to google they want to support this google are hardly going to say no.
post #56 of 727
So this thing doesnt respond to IR commands? I wont be able to use my Harmony 880 with it to watch BDs?
post #57 of 727
I too have been unsucessful in getting surround sound to pass through this to my Sony receiver. I have the dish 722k, and it works fine if I patch the DVR directly to the receiver, but when i put this in the middle, all i get is 2 channel. I've tried an optical cable from the google tv box to the receiver, i've tried different HDMI cables, i've changed every combination of settings and still no change. Glad i'm not the only one with this problem.
post #58 of 727
post #59 of 727
Check out my youtube channel for Sony Google Tv unboxing videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JRGTV81?feature=mhum
post #60 of 727
No it doesn't respond to IR commands. I don't even know if you can control this via a RF universal remote, like a Harmony 900, but I sure hope you can. This remote is horrible that comes with the Sony. I think I am going to return my NSZ-GT1 in the next few days because it doesn't do anything special that a Sony BR player or Roku can do today. I will wait and see how the product matures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

So this thing doesnt respond to IR commands? I wont be able to use my Harmony 880 with it to watch BDs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV