or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV - Page 3

post #61 of 727
You can use the search to look for what is coming up in the schedule, on Comcast, and you can look for web content. it does not bring up what is in your DVR, but there is not point. All you have to do is hit the DVR button and it brings up all your recordings in the Comcast original menu layout.

It is slick with the web content. If for example I wanted to watch the series of Mad Men, it will bring up when it airs next on Comcast, it will bring up the official Mad Men website to view online content, and it will bring up an option to subscribe and view the series on Amazon VOD. This is pretty slick and rivals the Apple TV search you would do in iTunes.

Today I got a weird imaging thing show up, when watching live TV. It looked like it was polarizing the image. I reset the Sony GTV unit and it went back to normal.

Still stuck on 2-Channel sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Does your comcast dvr and guide data show up in the GTV search results?

I was under the impression that GTV only integrated with Dish STBs, for now, so this would be news to me.
post #62 of 727
I am going to call Sony Product Specialist team tomorrow. I will let everyone know what they say. if no luck, then the unit goes back to the Sony Style store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuJC View Post

I too have been unsucessful in getting surround sound to pass through this to my Sony receiver. I have the dish 722k, and it works fine if I patch the DVR directly to the receiver, but when i put this in the middle, all i get is 2 channel. I've tried an optical cable from the google tv box to the receiver, i've tried different HDMI cables, i've changed every combination of settings and still no change. Glad i'm not the only one with this problem.
post #63 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

I think I am going to return my NSZ-GT1 in the next few days because it doesn't do anything special that a Sony BR player or Roku can do today

Really? I haven't seen it yet, but the HDMI-in alone should give the Google TV-box an advantage in that it can overlay TV and internet.
post #64 of 727
picked one of these up yesterday. Works ok with my TWC SA8300HD DVR, but I wish the Sony controller could "learn" some commands from my DVR remote.

I also have a Linkstation DLNA device which it see fine. I have a wide variety of content on their including mkv, vxid, etc. Also sees my Twonkyvision server fine.

Currently it's not controlling my Sony soundbar which is odd.
post #65 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Still stuck on 2-Channel sound.

Are those of you who are getting 2-channel sound using toslink to the avr exclusively?

If there is someone with the NSZ-GT1 using only HDMI, maybe you could try another Blu-ray player on the HDMI-in and see if you can bitsream to the avr. I have a couple of reasons to believe that Sony intends for this product to pass surround sound formats to an avr:

Even though it's no help, they have a help topic entitled "To enjoy surround sound from Cable/Satellite Box"

Also, I conducted a chat with Sony support on 10/13 where I asked:

Quote:


you: The HDMI input: will it pass the audio stream untouched to the HDMI output for processing by an external receiver? I want to be able to bitstream HD audio from the source device.
David P: The answer is yes it will in regards to the audio.
post #66 of 727
Anyone able to get a flickr stream to display instead of Picasa. Can't seem to switch from Picasa
post #67 of 727
I'm returning mine to BB today. The ir trigger requirement and surround sound issues are deal-breakers for me. I really enjoy my harmony one remote and I'm not willing to give it up. I will try again when version 2.0 arrives.
post #68 of 727
Quote:

Hm, do you have big hands or is that keyboard tiny?
post #69 of 727
As I mentioned previously regarding the Hulu 'block' it should possible to sidestep that either with another browser or changing the user agent - turns out you can just change the user agent straight from inside chrome

http://gadgetwhore.org/2010/10/hulu-...ogle-it-works/
post #70 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdog View Post

The ir trigger requirement and surround sound issues are deal-breakers for me.

What is the "ir trigger requirement"?

I completely understand the surround sound problem. I'm hoping that it's just some kind of configuration issue, it is limited to only certain stb's, or that Sony can push out a fix asap. It's asinine for Sony to think that customers would be willing to settle for 2-channel stero from the HDMI-in device.
post #71 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

What is the "ir trigger requirement"?

Sounds like that the Sony cannot use anything but the included remote because it sends the remote presses via RF and not IR. So if you wanna use another remote, you cannot. You are stuck using Sony's remote. The Sony has IR triggers that you use so the system can control you other components.

I cannot believe they did this type of thing AGAIN(they did the same type of thing with the PS3 and the bluetooth remote). I actually have one at Best Buy waiting for me right now, but am considering cancelling because of the remote issue.

With all the flack they took with the bluetooth remote on the PS3, you would think they would be a little smarter this time around.
post #72 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Sounds like that the Sony cannot use anything but the included remote because it sends the remote presses via RF and not IR. So if you wanna use another remote, you cannot. You are stuck using Sony's remote. The Sony has IR triggers that you use so the system can control you other components.

Yeah, the lack of an ir receiver also precludes the Sony player from learning commands from lesser-known stb's. There's already a guy on the other Google TV thread whose Moxi stb isn't being controlled by the NSZ-GT1. I realize that Sony wants the new controller to replace your tv/avr/stb remotes but that's not going to work for a lot of enthusiasts.

I too have a NSZ-GT1 waiting for me and will still be evaluating it, but it looks like the Logitech Revue might win this round for a couple of reasons:
  • ir receiver
  • Harmony device database with ir learning capability

It's too bad because the Sony, imo, has some nice features that the Revue can't match:
  • Blu-ray
  • the controller (I actually like it a lot)
  • 8 gb internal storage vs. 4 gb for the Revue
post #73 of 727
I bought this yesterday from Best Buy and I'm on the fence about returning it. A lot of the issues I have could be fixed with software updates, but the cost would be a big issue for me returning it at the moment. I don't fell like what I got is totally worth the cost at this time.

I bought this for my bedroom which doesn't have a blu-ray player in it. I have DirecTV Service with DVR (don't remember the box model number at the moment, but it is last years DirecTV DVR). One issue is the remote being RF and everything being controlled on by IR to the Satellite box. The remote doesn't seem to have enough functionality to control all functions of the satalite box. The thing that bugs me is turing on and off the GoogleTV blu-ray doesn't turn on and off the Satellite box, everything else seems to be controlled fine, but some navigation of the DVR requires extra steps to get it done. If I want the box off or on, I have to use my direcTV remote. I don't know if anyone with any other box or another content provider box is having the same issue or not. I assume this could be fixed with a software patch.

Another issue is that I use recall (previous channel) and as of yet I have not been able to control that with the remote using a single button. You can bring up the menu and choose recall, but requires multiple clicks to navigate the the correct location to go back to the previous channel.

The Netflix app is sub par which could be fixed with an update, but currently the gaming console apps have better functionality.

First thing I did after setting up the unit was changing the user agent to get Hulu streaming to work. Seems fine, but lags a bit when you first navigate to the page. That is a flash problem.

Dual view displays the Live TV in the lower corner of the screen. You can navigate web pages or other menus within the GoogleTV, but it hides content that is behind the Live TV picture. Not to big of an issue for something that is scrollable, but some menus have bookmarks that fall behind the Live TV broadcast that you cant see without backing all the way out to the home view.

I don't have surround in my bedroom, so I can't comment on other issues people are having with only getting 2 channel audio.

I haven't had to much of an issue with media streaming from a windows share. It does seem to play files that are not listed as officially supported by Sony, but didn't do a lot of testing.

Overall, I can see my self using it, but feel that if this was at least $100 cheaper I would be sold. I think $299 for the Sony Blu-Ray unit and $199 for the Logitech unit would have been a much better starting point. At the moment I feel like this cost could burn early adopters if they decide to discount the devices after analyzing a few months sales.

Any questions feel free to ask, but I will have some more to add as I play with it some more after work.
post #74 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Yeah, the lack of an ir receiver also precludes the Sony player from learning commands from lesser-known stb's. There's already a guy on the other Google TV thread whose Moxi stb isn't being controlled by the NSZ-GT1. I realize that Sony wants the new controller to replace your tv/avr/stb remotes but that's not going to work for a lot of enthusiasts.

I too have a NSZ-GT1 waiting for me and will still be evaluating it, but it looks like the Logitech Revue might win this round for a couple of reasons:
  • ir receiver
  • Harmony device database with ir learning capability

It's too bad because the Sony, imo, has some nice features that the Revue can't match:
  • Blu-ray
  • the controller (I actually like it a lot)
  • 8 gb internal storage vs. 4 gb for the Revue

Checked my unit and with the installed apps that come standard on the box, only 3.2 - 3.4 gigs are available. I am kind of curious what the Revue will have left over from its storage.
post #75 of 727
post #76 of 727
i just picked this up also and one thing im having trouble finding is how to install ano other apps? there is no droid market built in... any ideas?
post #77 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu820 View Post

i just picked this up also and one thing im having trouble finding is how to install ano other apps? there is no droid market built in... any ideas?

Droid marketplace isn't available until early 2011 they are saying.
post #78 of 727
thank you, i guess i must have missed that. Also i am assuming the hulu trick would also work for the cbs website no?
post #79 of 727
So I've got two questions.

First off, between this & the Revue the one accessory the Revue has that Sony doesn't offer is the video chat option. I don't travel that much for work, but when I do it would be great to see the kids at home (and have them see me). Same goes for grandparents/friends/etc. Whether I would really use it and whether other non-core family would have the required software on their end is another story. Not to mention it's $149.00 - which then makes the box more expensive than the Sony without Blu Ray.

Since I'm basically worthless when it comes to A/V items and have no sense of what companies are doing what (webcams are core to Logitech's business - not so much to Sony), I'll ask here. What do you think the chances are that Sony will ever add a camera attachment similar to the Revue in the future? Is there even an open port where it would be able to hook up?

Secondly, I'm about to get a new Sony KDL-55EX710, already have a Sony soundbar (HCT-100), and have a Sony Camcorder, so is there some sort of benefit with keeping the GTV box within the Sony family?

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback.
post #80 of 727
So after being transferred 6 times because no one even knew what the box was, i finally got someone who knew the device. Unfortunately after going through a couple steps, she said that the box was incapable of outputting surround sound from the incoming dish receiver. It will output perfect surround sound when playing dvd/bluray, but will not pass through the surround sound from the dish DVR.

The solution is/was to connect the optical cable from the dish box directly to the AV receiver... which means i'll have to change inputs when i want to hear anything from the google box. That sucks, and because of this it's probably going back.



On their website it says it is supported, but it doesn't work. I can't post the link due to spam controls.
post #81 of 727
guess what! i did the trick for hulu and it still does not work. guess they must have come up with a fix... however i did not reboot.. dont know how. so i just unpluged power cord not sure if this is why hulu wont work even with the trick. anyone know how to reboot this thing?
post #82 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Hm, do you have big hands or is that keyboard tiny?

Both
post #83 of 727
I'm having tons of stopping and pausing while trying to playback DLNA. I'm running a Macbook Pro, and I have a Pogoplug, and when playing back through both, I have starting and stopping, and it's getting annoying. Can anyone suggest a good way to go? Software on the Mac that works well, or a NAS/NAS adapter that can work reliably?
post #84 of 727
What network are you connected to? Your best choice should be 802.11n. I have been playing HD videos over that network without any hiccups.
post #85 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuJC View Post

So after being transferred 6 times because no one even knew what the box was, i finally got someone who knew the device. Unfortunately after going through a couple steps, she said that the box was incapable of outputting surround sound from the incoming dish receiver. It will output perfect surround sound when playing dvd/bluray, but will not pass through the surround sound from the dish DVR.

The solution is/was to connect the optical cable from the dish box directly to the AV receiver... which means i'll have to change inputs when i want to hear anything from the google box. That sucks, and because of this it's probably going back.



On their website it says it is supported, but it doesn't work. I can't post the link due to spam controls.

Hmm, I've been futzing around with this issue as well since yesterday. I wonder if this is something that can be addressed in a future update?

Between this and the HDCP problems that I get when I try to run the HDMI through my receiver, I'm very tempted to return the thing. I wonder if the Revue can pass through more than just the two channel LPCM.

a
post #86 of 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiofreak View Post

What network are you connected to? Your best choice should be 802.11n. I have been playing HD videos over that network without any hiccups.

I'm 802.11n, and then I moved my Macbook Pro to Gigabit, and it's still an issue. I don't think it's network. If I watch the network access in the Activity Monitor, it keeps working, even when the playback stops. Playing of a USB jump drive has zero issues. I'm sneakernetting it for now...
post #87 of 727
Call me crazy but I just don't trust any streaming services with wireless. I'll always either do wired ethernet or powerline networking.
post #88 of 727
I took mine back. This might work built into the tv. Not sure about separate box.
post #89 of 727
Funny thing is you hit Cntrl Alt Del to reboot.

Please see link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sup...710&mdl=NSZGT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu820 View Post

guess what! i did the trick for hulu and it still does not work. guess they must have come up with a fix... however i did not reboot.. dont know how. so i just unpluged power cord not sure if this is why hulu wont work even with the trick. anyone know how to reboot this thing?
post #90 of 727
Well, I think I am another fallen soldier. I will be returning my Sony NSZ-GT1 this weekend, due to the audio 2-Channel issue, and the remote issue with the Sony specific model. Although I like the form factor, I can't stand that I have to hit 3 buttons to turn everything off, but still can't turn off the cable box. Also, I can't stand that I have to do two functions to get most things done compared to one key hit on my Harmony one remote. Finally, it is really sad that they couldn't make the remote learn some functions, to be able to accommodate the additional buttons that most component remotes contain.

I have enjoyed the search capabilities of this device, Whats On tab, the tight integration into online content, and the integrated BR player.

Although those things are compelling, the earlier two issues are deal breakers. I will go back to my Sony BR player and watch to see if the Revue gets better ratings and a price drop around Black Friday. The nice thing that the Revue adds is compatibility with my Comcast Moto DCX3400, compatibility with my Harmony One remote, and some added apps like video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdog View Post

I took mine back. This might work built into the tv. Not sure about separate box.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony NSZ-GT1 with GOOGLE TV