or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound) - Page 6

post #151 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Did you switch the movie to 5.1 under "Audio and subtitles" before starting to play it?

Hi pixelman, where do I find this at?
post #152 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi nineteen, how did you get DD 5.1 or are you sure its not displaying DPLII? What are your PS3 settings (LPCM or Bitstream)?

I have a Slim PS3 set to Bitstream and playing IM (1) its show DPLII and not DD 5.1.

The movie or T.V. show has to be in HD and also have a 5.1 audio track available....
Iron Man is not and therefore no 5.1 audio.
post #153 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I downloaded and installed the new Netflix streaming app to my PS3 a little while ago but can't get it to work. I am prompted to sign in but that requires entering my email address and password. Unfortunately that screen doesn't have a graphic for letters, so I can't login because neither my Harmony remote nor the PS3 game controller has letters. Any suggestions as to how to work around the problem would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, I finally figured out how to get to the letters graphic and managed to sign in. I am very excited about the capabilities added to NF's streaming client for PS3.

where did u dload it from?
post #154 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

So IM is in 5.1? Nice to see that even some SD titles will have it. I watched IM a couple of weeks ago, and looked pretty decent for an SD title.

Nope, I just checked and Iron Man is still only available in stereo. I haven't found a title in SD which has 5.1 yet... still looking.
post #155 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi pixelman, where do I find this at?

Its an option when viewing the full-screen listing in the new PS3 layout.

If the title has 5.1 (will show 5.1 next to name at top of screen), then on the left where it shows "Play, Add/Remove to/from Instant Queue, Rate the title" there will also be an option of "Audio and subtitles". Go in there and switch it to 5.1.

It should remember this setting for future titles, although I've found some which did not for some reason.
post #156 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

The movie or T.V. show has to be in HD and also have a 5.1 audio track available....
Iron Man is not and therefore no 5.1 audio.

The movie is not 5.1.
post #157 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Nope, I just checked and Iron Man is still only available in stereo. I haven't found a title in SD which has 5.1 yet... still looking.

Same here, searched for a while and still no go .
post #158 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Nope, I just checked and Iron Man is still only available in stereo. I haven't found a title in SD which has 5.1 yet... still looking.

The movie or T.V. show has to be in HD to have a 5.1 audio track....
post #159 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

The movie is not 5.1.

No,unfortunately not as IM is not in HD.
It definitely should be though....
post #160 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

The movie or T.V. show has to be in HD to have a 5.1 audio track....

I know but was curious about nineteen's post.
post #161 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

The movie or T.V. show has to be in HD to have a 5.1 audio track....

Shoot. Are you kidding me?
post #162 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Same here, searched for a while and still no go .

startrek too
post #163 of 1195
i read a while ago that some streaming titles on netflix offer subtitles. How do you switch them on?
post #164 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

startrek too

Nooooo
post #165 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Nooooo

This whole time I was hoping the SD files were still encoded with 5.1 and the limitation was on Netflix's side. Hopefully this is just a first-day snafu and the files actually are 5.1.
post #166 of 1195
Edit: quoted the wrong post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

After going through a few genre pages, 95% of it is stuff I wouldn't watch for free

Completely agree with you on the movie selection. TV shows are where it's at on the streaming. Since I've started streaming Netflix I've watched the complete x-files, firefly, spartacus, king of the hill, mythbusters, dog the bounty hunter, all of the deadliest catch episodes I missed before I started watching, and a lot of other shows. I just finished the first season of Dollhouse and I'm starting on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It's great for me, because I missed so many good series while in college. Plus you get all of those hbo, starz, and showtime originals and they are adding new series seems like everyday. If it wasn't for the tv shows, I'd stream maybe a movie a month.
post #167 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm not a NF member, so I just wanted a site online that has the info. Thanks for the responses.

If you are already paying for full satellite/cable TV service and have a few movie channels like Encore and Epix (let alone premiums), there probably is very little reason to get Netflix just for their streaming service, unless you are really into old TV shows, independent, and foreign films. In fact the newer and better movies on Netflix streaming available through Starz Play are not even in HD.
post #168 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Its an option when viewing the full-screen listing in the new PS3 layout.

If the title has 5.1 (will show 5.1 next to name at top of screen), then on the left where it shows "Play, Add/Remove to/from Instant Queue, Rate the title" there will also be an option of "Audio and subtitles". Go in there and switch it to 5.1.

It should remember this setting for future titles, although I've found some which did not for some reason.

Thanks pixelman, it appears most that are 5.1 is automatic set to 5.1. Only found two that I had to manually set to 5.1.
post #169 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Anyone using a Harmony remote to control Netflix?

How do you exit out of Netflix?

I had to use the PS3 game contoller and press PS button to exit out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

When I set up my 880 for the PS3 it applied the PS button to one of the soft keys, that's what I used to back out of the app. It's a bit strange as for everything else I've used the Stop key, took me a bit to figure out to use the PS button with the Netflix app this morning.

To be honest, I'm not sure it defaulted that way or whether I added it afterwords, but it's simple to do.

My Harmony 680 doesn't seem to have a "PS" option anywhere (downloaded the latest software and firmware, and still can't assign "PS" to it. I have a "Select" option I could try I guess. Not sure that is it or not.
post #170 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

This whole time I was hoping the SD files were still encoded with 5.1 and the limitation was on Netflix's side. Hopefully this is just a first-day snafu and the files actually are 5.1.

Yeah, I thought the release was "1080 and/or 5.1" so was hoping some SD stuff might be 5.1 as well.
post #171 of 1195
Thread Starter 
I smell a new database coming on for titles taking advantage of 1080p/5.1....
post #172 of 1195
Ok I don't know what just happened, but I left Netflix, then came back in, and now the interface is ALL DIFFERENT. Dark gray background, and now hovering over titles gives only basic info-- name, rating and # of stars, not the runtime like it did earlier today.
post #173 of 1195
Am I missing something? I installed the app, logged in and it comes up. But it looks NOTHING like the videos I've seen (see my attachment below for what I see) Isn't it supposed to look like the screenshot below?


I don't see anything like that. I just see the titles, and the description on the right in a grey box. There are no HD indicators on anything (even stuff I know is HD). See my attachment.

Obviously, I am missing something...

On a side note, the queue takes at least 3 times longer to load than it does on the 360...not big deal, but still kindof annoying.
LL
post #174 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Am I missing something? I installed the app, logged in and it comes up. But it looks NOTHING like the videos I've seen (see my attachment below for what I see) Isn't it supposed to look like the screenshot below?

That's what I'm saying, mproper! It's now totally different than it looked earlier today (yeah, used to look like your screen example there).

You have to click all the way to get a title fullscreen to see if it has HD/5.1.

The new tabs at top are nice though.

*edit* Oh, and mine is loading pretty much instantly-- no wait at all. Much faster than the old PS3 disc version.
post #175 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

where did u dload it from?

I downloaded the new NF streaming app from the Play Station Store. It was one of the choices of new apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Its an option when viewing the full-screen listing in the new PS3 layout.

If the title has 5.1 (will show 5.1 next to name at top of screen), then on the left where it shows "Play, Add/Remove to/from Instant Queue, Rate the title" there will also be an option of "Audio and subtitles". Go in there and switch it to 5.1.

It should remember this setting for future titles, although I've found some which did not for some reason.

Thanks a million. I was going crazy trying to figure out how to find out about whether a given title had subtitles and how to turn them on if I wanted. Have you found any movies or TV shows with subtitles yet?
post #176 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

That's what I'm saying, mproper! It's now totally different than it looked earlier today (yeah, used to look like your screen example there).

You have to click all the way to get a title fullscreen to see if it has HD/5.1.

The new tabs at top are nice though.

Oh, ok....I thought I was missing something....if it's changed for everyone, then they're probably having some issues somewhere and fell back on a stripped down version or something (maybe just heavy load on the server or something).

Damn....was really hoping to try out the new interface....
post #177 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Ok I don't know what just happened, but I left Netflix, then came back in, and now the interface is ALL DIFFERENT. Dark gray background, and now hovering over titles gives only basic info-- name, rating and # of stars, not the runtime like it did earlier today.

Same here, it looks like what mproper just posted.
post #178 of 1195
I wish they would show which titles are available in 1080p. How can you tell if its in 1080p or not?? Pressing display will show x-high/hd, but doesn't say anything about the resolution. Anyone know how to tell or what titles are in 1080p right now??

Another thing is the selection of movies is pretty poor, but most of the new movies. like Star Trek aren't even in HD!!!! Who the hell is going to watch a movie like that in less then dvd quality and stereo sound!!?? Why bother..
post #179 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Thanks pixelman, it appears most that are 5.1 is automatic set to 5.1. Only found two that I had to manually set to 5.1.

I found that none of mine were automatic, but once I set 1 title as 5.1, then most are following that setting.

I'm hoping that friend online/offline notifications are disabled now. Earlier today I was getting tons of them and it was quite annoying.
post #180 of 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Same here, it looks like what mproper just posted.

But mine currently looks nothing like what mproper posted. That's how mine looked early today. What I'm getting now looks more 'finished' and slicker. As if the first version I got wasn't the final one or something.

I'd take a picture, but both of my cameras are at work. Oh well, I don't know what's going on... guess we'll just have to wait and see.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Netflix On PS3 goes disc-free...(Gets 1080p streaming and DD+ 5.1 surround sound)