or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0 - Page 7

post #181 of 1675
Subscribed. Thanks, scubasteve2365!
post #182 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

The V1 Solution won't be of much help, because it won't show you the steps. What you need is a tutorial.

You'd be surprise at what I can pick up from example. All through my computer years I've learned a lot from the coding of others, as well as the man page. In this case, seeing a layout, along with the manual, can help a whole lot.

Quote:


You have to have a normal image, as well as active and selected. All 3 states will be present at one time or another. If it's static text and simple an arrow that points at the static text indicating your selection, then the normal state needs to exist, just empty. The selected and active states can be the same, or different if you want confirmation after the button click.

So far it hasn't bitched, but I obviously haven't tried to build it yet. The active and selected images are different colors, to indicate that it has been selected.

Quote:


I assume you are building your menus in Photoshop and using Scenarist Designer.

Yep. The problem is that the output of the designer plugin isn't automatically importable into Scenarist BD. You do all that work placing the normal/active/selected button images and that info is lost. You have drag the images from the area they are imported to into the IG that was created in BD.
post #183 of 1675
Man, trying to find Rey Kroona's video tutorials on his website is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack, a very large hay stack. He has no links on his main page and a Google search only comes up with 9 hits for "Rey Kroona scenarist."

From what I can tell, any tutorials will be for versions earlier than the latest.

Doom9 is where I'll be going next.

EDIT: I found a posting from him over on BluAuthoring.com where he lists the 11 tutorials, but only provides a link to the main page. So, my needle in a haystack in right, in that it appears that one has to search all of the blog postings to find the tutorials.
post #184 of 1675
Can't wait for this disc to come out. How many more days/weeks/months till it gets released?
post #185 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Today is a milestone, one that I'm glad is officially behind me, as today is when I trimmed the final clip for this disc. The menu is about 80% done (need to just do splices) and I just need to finish navigation, create and do final testing.

ETA, about 2 weeks.

Attached is the final clip listings.

There is a significant improvement to both the LFE and Visual categories over v1.0, at least in my opinion there is. Do not be concerned about the disc size reporting more than 50gig. That number is size on disc number reported in Windows. I've already imported all of the clips into Scenarist for a total size of 97.5% of a dual layer disc. All clips together have a total runtime of 3:37:03

The Lord of the Ring Clips come from the recent EE editions, I know there is some hoopla regarding FOTR being "green" tinted or whatever but the cave sequence doesn't really reflect that. The battle with the cave orc is really good for a surround track. I wanted to include it on v1, but didn't due to the really poor transfer of the TE bluray.

The Transformers2 clip is updated from v1.0 to the better IMAX disc for the forrest sequence.

The Gladiator clip is from the better release

That should cover any questions regarding which versions of releases I'm using.



post #186 of 1675
Looks great Steve, good mix of short and long clips.
post #187 of 1675
I haven't seen Transformers 2 yet, I shouldn't have read the description. LOL

The tracks look amazing!!! Can't wait.
post #188 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I've already imported all of the clips into Scenarist for a total size of 97.5% of a dual layer disc.

What ? 2.5% wasted/unused disc space !!

Can't wait for this beauty Steve.
post #189 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Today is a milestone, one that I'm glad is officially behind me, as today is when I trimmed the final clip for this disc. ...

[/IMG]

Bravo... Bravo... Bravo!!!!

Thanks for sharing Steve.
post #190 of 1675
Wait a minute...how did you get Rango? That isn't released until 7/15!
post #191 of 1675
Any special meaning for line item #8 being marked differently in the left column?

#47: Tron (the original) or Tron: Legacy
post #192 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

Wait a minute...how did you get Rango? That isn't released until 7/15!

That's the U.S., it's already released in other markets.
post #193 of 1675
Looking good can't wait for this. What about cover art getting the wife to do it again,she did a great job last time?
post #194 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Any special meaning for line item #8 being marked differently in the left column?

#47: Tron (the original) or Tron: Legacy

His active cell just happened to be J8 while he took the screenshot, which is why you're seeing row 8 highlighted.

Definitely Legacy.
post #195 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by homethx View Post

Looking good can't wait for this. What about cover art getting the wife to do it again,she did a great job last time?

Was there cover art I missed for the first disc?
post #196 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

Was there cover art I missed for the first disc?

IIRC, there were a few different ones.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post19309740

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post19245436

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post19241425
post #197 of 1675

Great, thanks! I guess I didn't read that first thread all the way through... read far enough into it to see it was done and how to get it, and read the more recent stuff, and missed the middle bits.

This will be MUCH better than my sharpie label.

Now I just have to figure out who among my friends has an inkjet that will print on a disc (the ONE time I regret having a color laser), and where I can buy a few empty blu-ray shell cases...
post #198 of 1675
BTW, ScubaSteve, again, thanks for all your hard work.

If I can, when this v2 is ready, I'll help as much as I can. I can ship you a USB hard drive to dump the project onto, with a return shipping label. At work, we have a smoking fast upload speeds (and I'm the IT guy!). I can't run a seed 24/7, but as long as I can throttle it back during working hours, I should be able to let it run wild for a while in the evenings. That should really help goose the speeds for the initial seeds.

Anyway, the offer stands... if you'd like to take me up on it, PM me once the project is done.
post #199 of 1675
this is great stuff!! thanks for putting all the effort into this. it's no easy task. few questions... I remembered the first disc didn't work on an LG 550. Will that be the case again you think? I ask because I own a LG 590. also, were you able to implement a "play all" button?

ps: great clip selection! I like that you mixed things up.
post #200 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbatt13 View Post

His active cell just happened to be J8 while he took the screenshot, which is why you're seeing row 8 highlighted.

D'Oh! Forgot about that.

Quote:


Definitely Legacy.

I kinda figured that, but just wanted to double-check. It is indeed a good scene to use.
post #201 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

This will be MUCH better than my sharpie label.

ROTFLMAO

I'd print them for you, but unfortunately I'm a little more than halfway across the country from you.

I'm now on my third Epson printer that has that capability. The Stylus Photo R1800 is the one that I have now. An excellent printer that doesn't have an issue printing on the thicker Blu-ray media. I've read reports that some printers do have issues.
post #202 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

BTW, ScubaSteve, again, thanks for all your hard work.

If I can, when this v2 is ready, I'll help as much as I can. I can ship you a USB hard drive to dump the project onto, with a return shipping label. At work, we have a smoking fast upload speeds (and I'm the IT guy!). I can't run a seed 24/7, but as long as I can throttle it back during working hours, I should be able to let it run wild for a while in the evenings. That should really help goose the speeds for the initial seeds.

Anyway, the offer stands... if you'd like to take me up on it, PM me once the project is done.



At my place of employment you'd get fired for a stunt like that. I'm also a IT/Information Security guy. :P At any rate be careful about that choice! :0

Scuba Steve, Looks great! If there is any room for additional suggestions a Band of Brothers scene might be worth filling up that last 2.5% of space if you've the energy. The battle in the snow covered forrest, I can't remember the particular episode name is just amazing for both surround and LFE. If it is something you are interested in and you don't have the disks -- I'll send you the Band of Brothers Box set and some paypal money to cover returning the set when you are through. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/247/bandofbrothers.html

a scene like this through about the 1:42 mark is what I'm referring to. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9F1szmKOa8


Also a couple of notes from my enjoyment of disk one. A couple of the scenes run a bit long. The joker scene from Dark Night 2 at the hospital is too long, as is the Pearl Harbor scene, as are a couple of the King Kong scenes, and even the Master and Commander scene. All are good inclusions, but they are longer than the disc is purposed for IMO. Quick gotcha demo's of 3 or 4 minutes length are about my max preference, longer than that and I find myself skipping back to the menu to show my guests the next clip in most every case. I most frequent the THX trailer and the Ironman Jericho missle launch scene, both clips under 1 minute. I also have not seen the value of the Star Track clips. I've listened them at several people's houses now and unlike some of the other clips I've never heard them shine on any system (A couple systems had about $20,000+ in equipment). Contrast that clip to a clip like the Book of Eli town square gunfight sequence that might sound just okay on a decent setup, but shines like the morning star on a high end setup!!! (and that's when I can really understand why it is included) I like the Star Trek movie, but just don't really think they make particularly excellent demo clips from what I've heard and seen. At any rate I'm just one man's opinion -- I LOVE the first disk and can easily skip over the couple clips that don't do anything for me. No disk would be perfect for any one person's personal top picks --- we all understand that. So I'm glad to see that the new disk looks to be better in most every way! Like many other people have said, I put that disk in my player more than any of my other DVDs or BluRays. It is better than any single movie for showing off your gear to friends! I REALLY appreciate your effort and time!!! Thanks again and I'm really looking forward to picking up this disk too!
post #203 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Also a couple of notes from my enjoyment of disk one. A couple of the scenes run a bit long. The joker scene from Dark Night 2 at the hospital is too long IMO as is the Pearl Harbor scene, as are a couple of the King Kong scenes, and the Master and Commander scene. All are good inclusions, but they are longer than the disc is purposed for IMO. Quick gotcha demo's of 3 or 4 minutes length are about my max preference. I most frequent the THX trailer and the Ironman Jericho missle launch scene, both clips under 1 minute.

And conversely, I rarely watch clips (or show them to guests) that are under 3 minutes. 7-12 minutes is my sweet spot, but I settle for anything over 4. Worst clip ever is the one from Monsters, Inc with the little girl that's about 10 seconds.
post #204 of 1675
Sounds like he's got the mix about right then.

Throwing us both a bone!

I like the shorter clips because when a new guest comes over for a movie I pop this disk in first and give them a taste of what the system can do. I'm not looking to watch full movies before we actually watch our designated movie---just allow the system to shine a bit before we throw in a movie that may underwhelm the senses -- like one of my wife's dreaded chick flicks...
post #205 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

At my place of employment you'd get fired for a stunt like that. I'm also a IT/Information Security guy. :P At any rate be careful about that choice! :0

Ya, unless you are the owner of the company, odds are there are rules against doing stuff like that. At my last work location, we were behind the corporate firewall, so doing something like this would be impossible.

Stupid thing is that I still have access to one of the ftp servers. Long story as to why.

Quote:


I most frequent the THX trailer

If you like those kinds of trailers, visit the trailer site, referenced in previous posts, and download various Dolby, DTS and THX trailers.
post #206 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

like one of my wife's dreaded chick flicks...

ROTFLMAO

Lots of funny posts today.

I'll bet that she dreads watching most of your actions flicks as well
post #207 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

ROTFLMAO

I'd print them for you, but unfortunately I'm a little more than halfway across the country from you.

I'm now on my third Epson printer that has that capability. The Stylus Photo R1800 is the one that I have now. An excellent printer that doesn't have an issue printing on the thicker Blu-ray media. I've read reports that some printers do have issues.

I loathe inkjets with all my heart. I heart laserjets, big time.

This is one instance where they do make sense, of course... but once or twice every 5 years doesn't justify the shelf space, for me. I decided long ago (after replacing yet another $60 worth of dried up, barely-used ink cartridges...again) that I'd rather take my photo output to Costco or even a real photo center (when quality REALLY counts) than maintain my own inkjet printer at home. I just don't need their type of output often enough.

If you DO have a need for frequent inkjet output, Epson is definitely the way to go, from an output quality standpoint.
post #208 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

At my place of employment you'd get fired for a stunt like that. I'm also a IT/Information Security guy. :P At any rate be careful about that choice! :0

There are advantages to working in a small shop (all of 10 people here, 90% of whom never think about the office after 5:01pm). I'm also #3 around here, and make all the calls re IT.

I wouldn't want to do anything arguably illegal (I won't torrent tv shows at work that I would be fine with torrenting at home, for instance, even though it would be way faster), but beyond that, as long as there are no costs, and negligible if any impact on the systems, I'm pretty much free to do whatever I want. I'm comfortable with the legality of this clip disc. So as long as I throttle the upload speed during the workday so no one is adversely affected, and the mail server keeps working (I'll assign that priority, of course), there's no harm in this. We pay for all that fat pipe, may as well put it to some good use for a little while!
post #209 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckerfan View Post

this is great stuff!! thanks for putting all the effort into this. it's no easy task. few questions... I remembered the first disc didn't work on an LG 550. Will that be the case again you think? I ask because I own a LG 590. also, were you able to implement a "play all" button?

ps: great clip selection! I like that you mixed things up.

I haven't performed the actual authoring yet, but I have added genre's play all to each section, as well as a complete playall on the top menu. I see no reason that I won't be able to complete this functionality in authoring as it's simply a playlist.

As for the question on the specific player, YMMV with different media or what not. I'm sure you can do a google search for your particular player and find what media that people have had success with. If you're wanting to get a disc from me and need particular media let's take the discussion offline, and I'm sure we can work something out.
post #210 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

There are advantages to working in a small shop (all of 10 people here, 90% of whom never think about the office after 5:01pm). I'm also #3 around here, and make all the calls re IT.

I wouldn't want to do anything arguably illegal (I won't torrent tv shows at work that I would be fine with torrenting at home, for instance, even though it would be way faster), but beyond that, as long as there are no costs, and negligible if any impact on the systems, I'm pretty much free to do whatever I want. I'm comfortable with the legality of this clip disc. So as long as I throttle the upload speed during the workday so no one is adversely affected, and the mail server keeps working (I'll assign that priority, of course), there's no harm in this. We pay for all that fat pipe, may as well put it to some good use for a little while!

Send me a PM, I'd like to take you up on that as seeding was a pain last go around. I have a slow upload.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0