or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0 - Page 9

post #241 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

Keep in mind this $50 is for 1TB which would be about 20 of these demo disks, not just the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post

It'll be quite a while before there are 20 demo discs to download.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to the torrents for my downloading needs, but anyone who needs it, by all means have at. For most people in this country, however, I suspect torrents are the simplest way to go, and no extra costs.

If uploading gigabytes of data is your thing, of course, you're welcome to repost your own download into the usenet for others. Nothing stopping anyone from doing so.

I'm not anti-usenet, people... I merely commented that it's not commonly used by the majority of people in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post

I'm pretty sure he meant this particular disc will be able to be downloaded about 20 until the bandwidth cap is reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I don't think he meant 20 of the same disc; he was just pointing out that 1TB is A LOT of storage, enough for 20 DL BDs.

Would an Amazon cloud account be of any use for this?

Exactly... we we just talking about the extra cost a $50 and it seemed like it was being applied to a $50 usenet account for Only this demo disc. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that the initial $50 investment would not cover 1 DL blu-ray, but around 20 different discs!

Now if you talked about 20 people sharing a usenet account (if that's even possible), that might make it a good value.
post #242 of 1675
Thread Starter 
I have another little teaser to share:

I was able to add in a little calibration page that includes some basic video calibration tools and a few audio sweeps. This really isn't intended to be a calibration disc by any standard but for those that already own a calibration disc you can quickly refer to the brightness adjustment, contrast adjustment, pluge, color bars, ect to make some adjustments.

The audio sweeps probably have less of a value but for the bass heads that like to hear 10Hz content, it's there. Pink noise was included for setting reference volume for the other 2 sweeps.

post #243 of 1675
It just keeps getting better and better Steve!
post #244 of 1675
Scuba -- I like your idea of having the sweeps!

However, may I both suggest and provide alternate frequency range sweeps. Perhaps 20hz to 120hz for the LFE function - Most receivers max out at 120hz on the LFE channel, and that's the frequency most often suggested by the setup wizards at avsforum. (even though THX recommends 80hz) If I had a 10hz to 120hz FR sweep then I'd give you that one, but I don't - I've only got a 20hz to 120hz. Do you happen to have a FR that goes from 10hz to 120hz instead of 90hz?

Then perhaps add a 20hz to 20,000hz to encompass the entire spectrum of the typical human's hearing. It's kinda fun listening to that sweep and seeing at what frequency your hearing dies out as compared to your friends. I've found my hearing actually cuts out at about 16,000hz +, and comes in at about 17hz at the low end. ~16hz and below I feel, but don't hear!

Some additional 20, 25, and 30 hz modulation clips may be fun just to shake the room if you have room for them. I'll be happy to send you a few clips and see what you think. The clips zipped are just shy of 4mb. If you have an e-mail address I'll forward them on tonight.

*EDIT*
I uploaded them to this nippyzip site that hosts online files for free for 3 days. I verified they downloaded correctly and that nothing was added after I uploaded them. The zip file should contain 7 mp3s. Ha - I tried to play the modulation clip on my computer subwoofer and they don't even make a sound. I must have a subsonic filter on this little altec lansing set at 30hz or so.
http://www.nippyzip.com/uploads/110719105224-92354.zip
post #245 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Scuba -- I like your idea of having the sweeps!

However, may I both suggest and provide alternate frequency range sweeps. Perhaps 20hz to 120hz for the LFE function - Most receivers max out at 120hz on the LFE channel, and that's the frequency most often suggested by the setup wizards at avsforum. (even though THX recommends 80hz) If I had a 10hz to 120hz FR sweep then I'd give you that one, but I don't - I've only got a 20hz to 120hz. Do you happen to have a FR that goes from 10hz to 120hz instead of 90hz?

Then perhaps add a 20hz to 20,000hz to encompass the entire spectrum of the typical human's hearing. It's kinda fun listening to that sweep and seeing at what frequency your hearing dies out as compared to your friends. I've found my hearing actually cuts out at about 16,000hz +, and comes in at about 17hz at the low end. ~16hz and below I feel, but don't hear!

Some additional 20, 25, and 30 hz modulation clips may be fun just to shake the room if you have room for them. I'll be happy to send you a few clips and see what you think. The clips zipped are just shy of 4mb. If you have an e-mail address I'll forward them on tonight.

*EDIT*
I uploaded them to this nippyzip site that hosts online files for free for 3 days. I verified they downloaded correctly and that nothing was added after I uploaded them. The zip file should contain 7 mp3s. Ha - I tried to play the modulation clip on my computer subwoofer and they don't even make a sound. I must have a subsonic filter on this little altec lansing set at 30hz or so.
http://www.nippyzip.com/uploads/110719105224-92354.zip

I'll see what I can do, I thought the audio section seemed a little weak and I would have liked to do more I just didn't have the time. Hopefully I can convert these to LPCM @ 48kHz, as that is the blu-ray standard. MP3 isn't.

The frequency sweeps are the ones posted on real traps, so they are actually in 10Hz sections, I then created the playlists as shown in the image with 10Hz to 89Hz and so on.

e:I was able to convert the clips, used iTunes to convert to 48kHz MP3 and then able to convert to WAV using a generic MP3 to WAV passthrough.

At the very least the frequency sweep clip will be updated to the 20Hz to 20kHz. My only concern is that coming from multiple sources the levels are different. We shall see.

e#2: I found the source of those clips, turns out there are some ultra low (1Hz to 35Hz sweep, spanning 5 minutes anyone?), just so that all clips come from the same source, I'll probably modify the subwoofer sweep to use the 10Hz to 100Hz sweep on that page. Anyone crossing their LFE over higher than that is SOL. So, now I'm thinking of the following:

* 1Hz to 35Hz Ultra Low sweep
* 10Hz to 100Hz Subwoofer Sweep
* 20Hz to 20kHz Frequency Sweep
* Pink Noise

No real physical room on the menu for anything else, if I can squeeze it, perhaps a playlist of the 3 modulation tones
post #246 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

At the very least the frequency sweep clip will be updated to the 20Hz to 20kHz. My only concern is that coming from multiple sources the levels are different. We shall see.

This help?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=742969
post #247 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post



* 1Hz to 35Hz Ultra Low sweep
* 10Hz to 100Hz Subwoofer Sweep
* 20Hz to 20kHz Frequency Sweep
* Pink Noise

I think that would be an awesome addition. Just having it on the disk would be great. I think just these sweeps would be great. I am getting your disc for the movie clips and anything extra is a bonus. Awesome
post #248 of 1675
Scuba be aware that you can actually easily damage a subwoofer by playing subsonic frequencies with no high pass filter at typical listening volumes. Commercial subs will most often have subsonic filters to limit cone excursion at ridiculously low hz, but amateur DIY sub setup owners and an over enthusiatic gain/volume knob could quickly grenade a speaker setup. It might not only damage dedicated subwoofers either. If an individual had their speakers set to full band and tried to play a subsonic tone at reference levels they are going to damage near any tower or bookshelf speaker as well. I'm not trying to manipulate your idea just food for thought. I'd not be surprised to hear multiple sad stories about the 1-35hz tone sweep toasting someones setup. That track is like a handing a match to a person doused with gasoline to the amateur or budding enthusiast. That warning stated - do as you feel comfortable.
post #249 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Scuba be aware that you can actually easily damage a subwoofer by playing subsonic frequencies with no high pass filter at typical listening volumes. Commercial subs will most often have subsonic filters to limit cone excursion at ridiculously low hz, but amateur DIY sub setup owners and an over enthusiatic gain/volume knob could quickly grenade a speaker setup. It might not only damage dedicated subwoofers either. If an individual had their speakers set to full band and tried to play a subsonic tone at reference levels they are going to damage near any tower or bookshelf speaker as well. I'm not trying to manipulate your idea just food for thought. I'd not be surprised to hear multiple sad stories about the 1-35hz tone sweep toasting someones setup. That track is like a handing a match to a person doused with gasoline to the amateur or budding enthusiast. That warning stated - do as you feel comfortable.

When it comes to being Blu-ray compliant you have to have a video background even if all you want is audio. This video can just be black nothingness. I am planning to use the same image background that is on the menus for this but I have to encode different video clips for the background for each audio segment that differs in length. Because each background will be unique to the audio clip I can feature a warning on screen.
post #250 of 1675
Just feature the warning. Make it clearly visible and that should be good. I would have fun with the 1-35hz on my subs. BUT that being said there are always those who are clueless at what they are doing and hurt something.

Warning is good enough. Anything else is not your fault. Just like my Tchaikovsky 1812 overture with 7hz canon blasts, there is a warning on the disc but I know I can blast away at my subs.
post #251 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post

It just keeps getting better and better Steve!

Agreed!
post #252 of 1675
Don't know if it's late but I think the CES DTS-MA demo disc #15 has a nice aquarium looking clip for DTS that would be nice to have there imo. I dint think I saw it on your clip preview
post #253 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
Don't know if it's late but I think the CES DTS-MA demo disc #15 has a nice aquarium looking clip for DTS that would be nice to have there imo. I dint think I saw it on your clip preview
In 3D also plus it has 5.1 and 7.1 speaker setup clips...
post #254 of 1675
I also would like to see the sub frequencies go down to at least 10Hz. A warning is probably in order but considering today's movie tracks go down to 3Hz, 10Hz is reasonable.
post #255 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Just feature the warning. Make it clearly visible and that should be good. I would have fun with the 1-35hz on my subs. BUT that being said there are always those who are clueless at what they are doing and hurt something.

Warning is good enough. Anything else is not your fault. Just like my Tchaikovsky 1812 overture with 7hz canon blasts, there is a warning on the disc but I know I can blast away at my subs.

I'll have to keep this disc under lock and key when my kid gets old enough to want to play with my theater on their own. I can imagine coming home to find my stuff all blown because my kid and their friends wanted to play every track on the demo disk and I wasn't there to police the volume/source content. In this regard - I have no other disks in my robust collection that I could count on nearly immediately destroying my equipment like what I anticipate a 5 minute long 1hz to 35hz tone sweep would do!!!! ha...you guys just wait. I'll be incredibly surprised if we don't see several faces around here after the disc released if that content is on there. I'm a sub enthusiast and I don't feel comfortable playing anything below 15hz on my equipment at anything outside of exceptionally low volumes. There is a reason tracks like this are called woofer cookers! What will the novice do if they are supposedly playing a track on their setup, but they can't hear anything? TURN IT UP of course! --- then bang/poof/clunk!

Once again - I withdraw from making any stronger recommendations one way or the other...Just pointing out the elephant in the room!
post #256 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

I also would like to see the sub frequencies go down to at least 10Hz. A warning is probably in order but considering today's movie tracks go down to 3Hz, 10Hz is reasonable.

Which ones come to mind that go super low I'm curious to see if I have any of then?
post #257 of 1675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I'll have to keep this disc under lock and key when my kid gets old enough to want to play with my theater on their own. I can imagine coming home to find my stuff all blown because my kid and their friends wanted to play every track on the demo disk and I wasn't there to police the volume/source content. In this regard - I have no other disks in my robust collection that I could count on nearly immediately destroying my equipment like what I anticipate a 5 minute long 1hz to 35hz tone sweep would do!!!! ha...you guys just wait. I'll be incredibly surprised if we don't see several faces around here after the disc released if that content is on there. I'm a sub enthusiast and I don't feel comfortable playing anything below 15hz on my equipment at anything outside of exceptionally low volumes. There is a reason tracks like this are called woofer cookers! What will the novice do if they are supposedly playing a track on their setup, but they can't hear anything? TURN IT UP of course! --- then bang/poof/clunk!

Once again - I withdraw from making any stronger recommendations one way or the other...Just pointing out the elephant in the room!

The alternative is to limit content that can be useful for tweakers because someone might damage their gear, there will be a warning on the disc and if one chooses to not heed the warning that is their own fault. I know that this particular low frequency sweep will be good for those with IB arrangements.
post #258 of 1675
My Epik Empire should be able to handle all the bass tones pretty well shouldn't it?
post #259 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post

Which ones come to mind that go super low I'm curious to see if I have any of then?

That would be this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333462
post #260 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Getting there, this disc with the additional features means a lot more work on the authoring end and I underestimated that a bit. Are you willing to send a portable/external HDD to me and do you have a good upload capacity? If so, send me a PM.

Anyone else that has good upload capacity that doesn't mind sending me an external HDD please send me a PM. I'm hoping to get this out soon!

PM Sent
post #261 of 1675
Either way, with or without 1-35hz, this disc will be awesome. Having it is just another cool feature but without the feature it will still be my goto for demonstaring what the system can do and look like.
post #262 of 1675
Is there any way to play a BD image on a PS3 (with menus, etc) without burning it? I guess a 64GB flash drive would only play the files, not mount as a disc image...
post #263 of 1675
Damn i just put on I am Number 4 to check out the high school scene, and i swear i wish i had been in here earlier to vote for it to be in vol 2. Or am i alone here?
post #264 of 1675
I forgot I ever posted here about the Life blu-ray. I'm horribly disappointed I forgot to come back with a time stamp, but nobody else expressed interest so maybe I'm the only one who has seen it.
post #265 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69
I forgot I ever posted here about the Life blu-ray. I'm horribly disappointed I forgot to come back with a time stamp, but nobody else expressed interest so maybe I'm the only one who has seen it.
It's in my Netflix queue
post #266 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator View Post

Is there any way to play a BD image on a PS3 (with menus, etc) without burning it? I guess a 64GB flash drive would only play the files, not mount as a disc image...

Second that thought. I dont have a Blu-Ray burner and was wondering if I could download the files onto a flash drive and play it through the USB ports on a Denon Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for all the hard work by the way!
post #267 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalavltd View Post

Second that thought. I dont have a Blu-Ray burner and was wondering if I could download the files onto a flash drive and play it through the USB ports on a Denon Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for all the hard work by the way!

Your BluRay player probably has limits to file sizes - Fat32 devices only 4gb file size only, For 64gb you need to have NTFS support on your players USB support.

Options -

1. Have someone burn the disc
2. Buy the disc from Steve
3. If your BluRay player has streaming support - Stream from your PC
post #268 of 1675
Now that I think about it, I think the only way you're going to get menus is with a disc. Players *could* support mounting USB drives as disc images, but wouldn't because it would encourage piracy. Best case you could play the m2ts files, but good luck figuring out which is which.
post #269 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator View Post

Now that I think about it, I think the only way you're going to get menus is with a disc. Players *could* support mounting USB drives as disc images, but wouldn't because it would encourage piracy. Best case you could play the m2ts files, but good luck figuring out which is which.

If you look back a few pages I posted a file listing the tracks and which m2ts file they correspond to so you (and others) don't have to
greg
post #270 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgoyt View Post
Your BluRay player probably has limits to file sizes - Fat32 devices only 4gb file size only, For 64gb you need to have NTFS support on your players USB support.

Options -

1. Have someone burn the disc
2. Buy the disc from Steve
3. If your BluRay player has streaming support - Stream from your PC
Thanks for your comments. If I were to stream it from my PC do you think it would play like a disc i.e. menus etc. or would I play single files with a track listing as per the suggestions above. Or is this down to my Denon AVR1611?

I'm not opposed to buying the disc. Problem is I am located in the UK and cant really wait the few weeks it's gonna take to get here. Anyone else on the forum in the UK that would be willing to burn me a disc? I am happy to reward you for your effort.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0