or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 8

post #211 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Forgive me for asking, but the 15.0 is the 18.0 just smaller? (sorry, I couldn't find it on your website)

Yes, we do not have the product page finished yet, the 15.0 is the same style as the 18.0, sealed cuved sides, just smaller 20"x20"x18.5"deep
post #212 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

Yes, we do not have the product page finished yet, the 15.0 is the same style as the 18.0, sealed cuved sides, just smaller 20"x20"x18.5"deep

Is the driver a TC LMS-R 15" or another brand ?
post #213 of 704
The TC driver is not the standard driver but will be an upgrade option for the 15.0, and adds significantly to the cost. Imo; the budget 18.0 would be a better choice, same size and price(with the same amp), and given the same power near equal output under 30hz, and significantly more output over 30hz.
post #214 of 704
my Funk Audio 2.1

mmmmm pro audio with style.
LL
post #215 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape View Post

my Funk Audio 2.1

mmmmm pro audio with style.

Lovely! Please post your listening impressions when you have a chance. Frequency response charts (OmniMic, etc.) would be nice too if you have the gear.
post #216 of 704
And you know what, I'm gonna have to ask for more pictures and details as well.

I mean it is not necessary, but it would be nice to see some other angles along with some close up pics. These subs are so unique, it's like we have never seen them before!

Also I'm curious to the parts and amps.

Very nice looking.
post #217 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

And you know what, I'm gonna have to ask for more pictures and details as well.

I mean it is not necessary, but it would be nice to see some other angles along with some close up pics. These subs are so unique, it's like we have never seen them before!

Also I'm curious to the parts and amps.

Very nice looking.

More pictures will come.

Details on the 8.1.P speakers will be up on the website soon, and are ready to order now for $1600/pair in standard finish. I will say this about them, so far they were one of the few speakers that were actually hard to let out of our shop, I liked them that much myself.

The whole system is driven off a three channel version of the 2.4kw plate amp mounted in the subwoofer, with one 2400watt channel for the subwoofer and two 700 watt channels for the speakers. It handles the crossover between the sub/speakers in the DSP.

The 18.0 has the optional Rahocell carbon fiber sandwich cone(new option not listed on the site yet) It is stronger and lighter, increasing overall efficiency.

PS; how does this sound as a possible new product for development,

3x18" TSAD18, with specially designed Neodymium motor with nearly twice the motor strength as the standard version(BL~40TM)
8500watt amplifier with;
Energy "recycling" where the amplifier reabsorbs the back EMF from the driver(s) to be reused.
Phantom driver parameters(the amplifier has negative output impeadance) so the amplifier can make the drivers behave as though their parameters are what is programmed in.
"differential pressure control" a sensor that measures the internal and external air pressures generated and adjusts the output signal accordingly(like servo but rather than measuring the drivers cone it measures the air pressure)
Full DSP
All in an enclosure ~25" cube
post #218 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post


PS; how does this sound as a possible new product for development,

3x18" TSAD18, with specially designed Neodymium motor with nearly twice the motor strength as the standard version(BL~40TM)
8500watt amplifier with;
Energy "recycling" where the amplifier reabsorbs the back EMF from the driver(s) to be reused.
Phantom driver parameters(the amplifier has negative output impeadance) so the amplifier can make the drivers behave as though their parameters are what is programmed in.
"differential pressure control" a sensor that measures the internal and external air pressures generated and adjusts the output signal accordingly(like servo but rather than measuring the drivers cone it measures the air pressure)
Full DSP
All in an enclosure ~25" cube

Interesting, to say the least.

A small part of me hopes it doesn't work out very well, as I really don't feel like trying to explain to my wife why yet another box is being delivered from Halfmoon Bay...
post #219 of 704
sounds amazing what is the target price and weight?
post #220 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

sounds amazing what is the taget price and weight?

It should be the best subwoofer current technology can build, size/output ratio should be second to none, and sound quality/distortion should be as good/low as anything available.

Weight I would ballpark at around 300lbs. Price, very preliminary, would be ~$12,000
post #221 of 704
I'll take two!
post #222 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post


It should be the best subwoofer current technology can build, size/output ratio should be second to none, and sound quality/distortion should be as good/low as anything available.

Weight I would ballpark at around 300lbs. Price, very preliminary, would be ~$12,000

It sounds fantastic - it would also be a real showstopper.
post #223 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

It should be the best subwoofer current technology can build, size/output ratio should be second to none, and sound quality/distortion should be as good/low as anything available.

Weight I would ballpark at around 300lbs. Price, very preliminary, would be ~$12,000

What are you doing going IPAL with the amp and drivers?
post #224 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

What are you doing going IPAL with the amp and drivers?

IPAL is the amp we are looking at for this. The drivers would be the TSAD18 with a larger neodymium magnet structure, not sure at this point what its name would be.
post #225 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

IPAL is the amp we are looking at for this. The drivers would be the TSAD18 with a larger neodymium magnet structure, not sure at this point what its name would be.

Cool. I just recently started hearing about this...It is interesting but there are a few things I still wonder about. I have more reading to do.
post #226 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Cool. I just recently started hearing about this...It is interesting but there are a few things I still wonder about. I have more reading to do.

Yes it looks very interesting, time to get the testing/prototyping done.

The 9" dia Neo magnet structure will be a sight to see.
post #227 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

The 9" dia Neo magnet structure will be a sight to see.

That sounds like a powerfull woofer. Will the tsad see other changes to use all that power (or has it currently an unused potential) fx different x-max, Fs, or higher output levels?
post #228 of 704
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

More pictures will come.



PS; how does this sound as a possible new product for development,

3x18" TSAD18, with specially designed Neodymium motor with nearly twice the motor strength as the standard version(BL~40TM)
8500watt amplifier with;
Energy "recycling" where the amplifier reabsorbs the back EMF from the driver(s) to be reused.
Phantom driver parameters(the amplifier has negative output impeadance) so the amplifier can make the drivers behave as though their parameters are what is programmed in.
"differential pressure control" a sensor that measures the internal and external air pressures generated and adjusts the output signal accordingly(like servo but rather than measuring the drivers cone it measures the air pressure)
Full DSP
All in an enclosure ~25" cube

I walk away for a moment and look what you got up your sleeves... Holy Cr@p man....

Sounds intriguing... I see Powersoft, has implemented the design with that sensor - cool reading....

How you plan to use 3 x 18" drivers on a Cube....? Perhaps a 3 sides curved cab would be a better implementation to keep any rocking motions in check...?

Sorry guess I'm not following the thought process of 3 drivers in a cube unless your front back and top... which also wouldn't make sense with driver sag via gravity...

25" cube...??!?!!? that sounds like alot of air spring to overcome with 3 x 18" drivers - tight fit


Either way, sounds really cool Nathan.... I'd love to buy one, but I guess I'll just have to stick with my boring old 3 subs I have now...
post #229 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I walk away for a moment and look what you got up your sleeves... Holy Cr@p man....

Sounds intriguing... I see Powersoft, has implemented the design with that sensor - cool reading....

How you plan to use 3 x 18" drivers on a Cube....? Perhaps a 3 sides curved cab would be a better implementation to keep any rocking motions in check...?

Sorry guess I'm not following the thought process of 3 drivers in a cube unless your front back and top... which also wouldn't make sense with driver sag via gravity...

25" cube...??!?!!? that sounds like alot of air spring to overcome with 3 x 18" drivers - tight fit


Either way, sounds really cool Nathan.... I'd love to buy one, but I guess I'll just have to stick with my boring old 3 subs I have now...

There are a few options, the most compact would be a cube(possibility of a curved top) with drivers on the sides/front, amp on the rear. The nicest(and fully vibration canceled) would be the uneven 6 sided style with the drivers on the larger faces and the amp on one of the smaller faces, but it would be a little larger ~31 at the widest point, ~27 across the faces. We are also throwing the idea around of a simple dual opposed setup, 20" cube, maybe a little bigger ~21" cube with a curved front, and/or top.
post #230 of 704
I recently purchased a 15.0 from nathan and should disclose that my subwoofer experience is limited, but am quite impressed so far.
post #231 of 704
dual opposed design set-up with 18" drivers and a high powered amp with DSP seems like the holy grail of subwwoofers. Hopefully it can be done at a marketable price while not requiring a fork lift to move it. I cannot wait till someone perfects it and i can read the reviews.
I really believe that type design is the cure for my subwoofer disease.
nathan thanks for the motivation
wvchris
post #232 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

dual opposed design set-up with 18" drivers and a high powered amp with DSP seems like the holy grail of subwwoofers. Hopefully it can be done at a marketable price while not requiring a fork lift to move it. I cannot wait till someone perfects it and i can read the reviews.
I really believe that type design is the cure for my subwoofer disease.
nathan thanks for the motivation
wvchris

The upcoming Submersive XL is exactly what you describe. The JTR Cap S2 is out now but not a dual opposed alignment.
If Nate could make a compact version of that alignment with his high quality drivers and veneers that would be a hit.
Tim
post #233 of 704
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

dual opposed design set-up with 18" drivers and a high powered amp with DSP seems like the holy grail of subwwoofers. Hopefully it can be done at a marketable price while not requiring a fork lift to move it. I cannot wait till someone perfects it and i can read the reviews.
I really believe that type design is the cure for my subwoofer disease.
nathan thanks for the motivation
wvchris



I ended up building my own for this scenario, and by no means are they compact, (didn't need that) nor do they have onboard amps and all that business... They didn't have 4000w plate amps with built in dsp, even a little over a year ago.... So it was 6 pro amps and a DCX2496 for me LOL.

They are beautiful and completely inert, but the only way I was going to get the super clean high output I wanted and needed in my great room, as well as have them fit into a somewhat reasonable budget was to go DIY.

It was a fun project and worth it in the end for me...

Good luck on your new projects Nathan, you always come up with something cool, but also in a sexy package !!!!
post #234 of 704
warpdrv
your subwoofers set the standard for this design. Pictures of your entire package from amp to subs and box are outstanding. They are also the reason i cannot be happy with anything less. I am the king of screwing DIY projects up so I have to wait till its available for plug and play purchase by the less than capable like myself. Till then i can look on with envy and hope for the day. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on all things audio. It helps alot
thanks again
wvchris
post #235 of 704
Thread Starter 
Thanks countryWV.

I'd be willing to bet that Nathan could easily and quickly design and build a nice set of dual opposed 18" subs for ya - and look much better then mine. Just talk to him and see what you can work out. Just because it isn't on their website - doesn't mean its not possible.... Funky Waves can and will build anything - as far as I recall, they are a custom shop... correct me if I'm wrong Nathan...

His finish work is second to none and with his new drivers, onboard amps With DSP, you'd have it better then me.

And ill guarantee they wont tip the scales at 300lbs each even with onboard amps.
post #236 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Thanks countryWV.

I'd be willing to bet that Nathan could easily and quickly design and build a nice set of dual opposed 18" subs for ya - and look much better then mine. Just talk to him and see what you can work out. Just because it isn't on their website - doesn't mean its not possible.... Funky Waves can and will build anything - as far as I recall, they are a custom shop... correct me if I'm wrong Nathan...

His finish work is second to none and with his new drivers, onboard amps With DSP, you'd have it better then me.

And ill guarantee they wont tip the scales at 300lbs each even with onboard amps.

Yes most everything we do is built to order, even the standard products(we often stock raw enclosures for the most popular products), as there are so many options. Our fully custom orders do not cost as much more than standard products as you might think, depending on complexity etc.
post #237 of 704
When is the 15 going to be available? And what is the price and size?

Still looking at JLF113 but that price is really high. l've been looking at other subs also but always come back to JL because of its size. l want a small sealed sub.

Does FW equal the F113 in size+performance?
post #238 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

When is the 15 going to be available? And what is the price and size?

Still looking at JLF113 but that price is really high. l've been looking at other subs also but always come back to JL because of its size. l want a small sealed sub.

Does FW equal the F113 in size+performance?

The 15.0, and 15.3, are available now, we are just putting the product pages together, and they should be up on the website soon. The 15.0 starts at $1300 delivered in the US and is 20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep, same shape as the 18.0.
post #239 of 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

The 15.0, and 15.3, are available now, we are just putting the product pages together, and they should be up on the website soon. The 15.0 starts at $1300 delivered in the US and is 20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep, same shape as the 18.0.

Looking forward to seeing more info on the 15.0 and 15.3.

At $1300 for the 15.0 it is going to be a strong contender in that range.
post #240 of 704
Do all FW subs have servos/servo like parts? Im trying to see how important a servo actually is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)