or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 4

post #91 of 703
Alrighty,

Got the driver installed yesterday, definitely a 2 person job.

The cabinet is absolutely gorgeous. The reason I didn't go with one of my lines here at our showroom is that I wanted to match everything else in my basement, and this red stained cherry is awesome.

Haven't had much time to play with it because my laptop was acting up last night. Got a chance to listen for 5 minutes here at the showroom and was really impressed. It has a similar footprint to the Sub25, but taller, which I don't mind as it doesn't take up any more real estate in my room.

I can't wait to get it dialed in at home, I got my last speaker bracket today, so I should have everything semi dialed in by next week.

Also, here are a few pics I snapped yesterday.
LL
LL
LL
post #92 of 703
Wow!

Great looking sub, can't wait till you had a chance to compare to the Sub25 and report back.

Remember, lift with your legs
post #93 of 703
The fit and finish just looks impeccable.
post #94 of 703
Looks very nice!

What are the specs on the amp?
post #95 of 703
The amp is capable of 2400watts RMS, 4000watts peak, these specs seem conservative, as in our testing we found it can overdrive the LMS5400 in our FW18.0 enclosure. It has enough power driving two Pro5100's in series to take them right to their limits, in FW18.3 enclosures, significantly more power to each than driving them with a QSC PLX3602 in stereo. We are now offering this amp in several packages with 18", 15", and 12" drivers, where there is a single amp built into one enclosure connected to a second passive unit. The details will not be posted until after the new website is up, but they can be ordered now.

For the next month, July 22, to Aug 22, we are offering a small introductory special on subwoofers/packages, using the new amplifier.
post #96 of 703
Just a beautiful subwoofer. This is the sub I would get if money was not an issue.
post #97 of 703
Thread Starter 
Very Nice Noah.... wait til you put it through its paces - you're going to come to love that sub....

Great work once again Nathan....
post #98 of 703
That is one beautiful sub fantastic workmanship Nathan.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sq.
Btw is there any way you would upload a pic with the grill on
post #99 of 703
So yours is red stained cherry, not paduak like Warp's? (I personally wonder how a "foggy" black (for lack of a better term) would look with that exact shape.)
post #100 of 703
Very nice sub Need4spdnb!


An update on the sub Nathan is building for me. We've decided to change everything and go with two dual 12" subs using the Peerless XLS 12" drivers. The dimensions will be W14" x D14" x H26" and will still be passive.
post #101 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

So yours is red stained cherry, not paduak like Warp's? (I personally wonder how a "foggy" black (for lack of a better term) would look with that exact shape.)

Mine is indeed Cherry, not Paduak like Warp's. I have all Cherry wood with a dark red stain in my basement, I wanted something that matched.
post #102 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendsen View Post

That is one beautiful sub fantastic workmanship Nathan.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sq.
Btw is there any way you would upload a pic with the grill on

My setup and sub with grille pics:
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #103 of 703
BTW, no comments on things being out of place, I am not setting it up correctly until I have everything ready. I just ordered a sub cable, the sub will move to the opposite side of the cabinet as I have better response at my listening position over there.

post #104 of 703
Honestly, that sub looks so much better with the grill off.
post #105 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Honestly, that sub looks so much better with the grill off.

We may try doing some different shaping on the grills so they blend better with the cabinet, when there is time. For now, yes they look much better with the grill off.
post #106 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Honestly, that sub looks so much better with the grill off.

+1
looks fantastic without the grill...

It looks like the grill isn't attached with magnets - are there any reasons for this - just thought it would look nice if magnets were hidden behind the veneer.
post #107 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendsen View Post
+1
looks fantastic without the grill...

It looks like the grill isn't attached with magnets - are there any reasons for this - just thought it would look nice if magnets were hidden behind the veneer.
Costs extra.
post #108 of 703
I didn't bother with grills. I think the two twelves will look sexy in each cabinet!
post #109 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
I didn't bother with grills. I think the two twelves will look sexy in each cabinet!
I personally dont like grills on anything, but to each their own, and they do serve as a protection from little fingers etc, when required.
post #110 of 703
I dunno...I rather like the bar grill option which I had opted for... but I don't think it would work all that well on those smaller sealed units.
post #111 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
I dunno...I rather like the bar grill option which I had opted for... but I don't think it would work all that well on those smaller sealed units.
So far I like this style grill best. And it would look good on almost anything. We may eventually play around with wrapping this style of grill in cloth, might look nice.
LL
post #112 of 703
Thread Starter 
I'm never putting my LMS driver in jail....
post #113 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I'm never putting my LMS driver in jail....

I know you had the magnets installed with your builds...have you come up with some kind of cover design or would that be considered jail too.....
post #114 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I'm never putting my LMS driver in jail....

I can understand that - but I've never seen a 5400 up front - is it safe for it to be around small children without a grill or...
post #115 of 703
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I know you had the magnets installed with your builds...have you come up with some kind of cover design or would that be considered jail too.....

I had them installed as a just in case - I have a really hard time thinking about covering them up..... they are just too pretty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendsen View Post

I can understand that - but I've never seen a 5400 up front - is it safe for it to be around small children without a grill or...

The cones are made of aluminum - I don't think a child would or really could get hurt by them, but they will dent easily when a little kid is WACKING at them with a toy or whatever....

post #116 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

The cones are made of aluminum - I don't think a child would or really could get hurt by them, but they will dent easily when a little kid is WACKING at them with a toy or whatever....


Well... my wife is pregnant, but it's probably a good thing there's still some time before the baby comes, cause I was thinking of protecting the driver...
post #117 of 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

I personally dont like grills on anything, but to each their own, and they do serve as a protection from little fingers etc, when required.

True story.

I can't wait for these subs!
post #118 of 703
Some screen shots of the DSP software used in our new amp. Just to show the functions avaiable.
LL
LL
LL
post #119 of 703
Pretty sweet Nathan, how much delay can one add btw?
post #120 of 703
5ms, but you can delay the input as well as output so 10ms total, it also has phase invert, there is also the same EQ and crossover filters on the input as well as the output, so there are 20PEq bands available. The PEQ bands can also be configured as all pass filters.

One very nice feature of the interface is that you can use the mouse to set the EQ's; you select the Q field and it is adjusted by the scroll wheel, you can simultaneously grab the corresponding number on the display for that band with the cursor and drag it around the window to set the frequency and gain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)