or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 2241
Does the Hub display anything else besides the coverart from themoviedb such as fanart and synopsis? Will it also read metadata scraped by third party programs such as Yammm, mediacenter master, or my movies and display all the above? Thank you.
post #242 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Wouldn't the upcoming NTV 550 be a better bet? The Dune H1 also doesn't have 1 TB storage, but that probably doesn't influence your decision

I'll be interested to see the reviews of the Netgear NeoTV 550 when it starts actually shipping out. What additional features does it offer over the Dune?

I am streaming BD ISO from a WHS across the network to the Dune. For me personally I don't need local storage.

I was interested in the GigE support on the WD TV Live Hub, but it would appear that this unit really doesn't benefit much at all from GigE.
post #243 of 2241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan9 View Post

I'll be interested to see the reviews of the Netgear NeoTV 550 when it starts actually shipping out. What additional features does it offer over the Dune?

I am streaming BD ISO from a WHS across the network to the Dune. For me personally I don't need local storage.

I was interested in the GigE support on the WD TV Live Hub, but it would appear that this unit really doesn't benefit much at all from GigE.

1. The Netgear unit will be sold in retail stores. So, warranty / exchange / support is much more localised compared to purchasing some unit online.

2. Netgear seems to have a very active beta testing group (The first time that I am seeing a product being tested so thoroughly by power users -- Refer the NTV 550 thread)

3. More tightly integrated movie scraping program supplied by Netgear themselves

4. Gapless audio playback

5. Most importantly, lower cost compared to the Dune models

What the WDTV Live Hub and the upcoming Boxee Box / NTV 550 have done is that they have weakened the market for streamers from foreign companies such as HDI etc. by offering competitive (if not supposedly better) features at a lower price point.

GbE on the WDTV Live Hub is a very slight improvement only. I am sure the next generation products will all see full GbE support.
post #244 of 2241
Quote:


Brajesh, in you opinion what is better about the 550 or Boxee than the Live Hub. Thinking about getting the Live Hub (since it looks like it plays .iso files) but trying to explore all my options.

Thanks,

J

Several reasons, but off the top of my head, for the same price as the WD Live Hub, with the Boxee Box or the Netgear 550, you also get:
- Full Blu-ray support (external BD drive; menus) **Netgear 550 only**
- Bitstreaming (passthrough) of HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA)
- 1080p/24 and 1080p/23.976 support
- Many more Internet content choices **at least on Boxee Box**
post #245 of 2241
200 on WD site.. 230 on bestbuy.com? nice mark up. waiting for Amazon. You guys think it'll be cheaper there?
post #246 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post

Does the Hub display anything else besides the coverart from themoviedb such as fanart and synopsis? Will it also read metadata scraped by third party programs such as Yammm, mediacenter master, or my movies and display all the above? Thank you.

Anyone know?
post #247 of 2241
The WDTV Live had 1.1x, 1.2x and 2x zoom for videos. Is this unit the same, or are there further steps between 1.2x and 2x?
post #248 of 2241
What will be plugged into the HDMI in port. ron
post #249 of 2241
File transfer speed test with wdtv live hub

File 14.4 GB
37 minutes to transfer from PC to WDTV hub
Router 10/100 support only (PC/wdtv 1GB lan).
Ethernet connection

the math...
389 MBy/min => 6.5 MBy/sec.
post #250 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post

What will be plugged into the HDMI in port. ron

where are you seeing that?
post #251 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Review done:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/w...ive-hub-review

Wasted time on the purported NAS capabilities.. Got to get some power consumption and noise figures in.. That will be down the road in the comments section probably

Great Review!

I agree with you on your 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet. It is a known fact that current generation of Sigma 8654/8655/8642/8643 do not support Gigabit Ethernet - I was hoping with your review that with the added hardware of a RealTek Gigabit network card or a new SDK we would finally see a media player that supports gigabit ethernet - but it just simply re-affirms that current Sigma Designs chipset doesn't support Gigabit Ethernet and it's just a marketing gimmic...
post #252 of 2241
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
What will be plugged into the HDMI in port. ron
where are you seeing that?

Sorry It was a mistake ron
post #253 of 2241
this may be a dumb question but I picked one of these up tonight and have set it up. I'm connecting via HDMI to a receiver. I set the audio out to digital passthrough. I'm having a problem with audio on some files. On two mp4 files with AAC audio, I get no sound with the audio output set to digital passthrough. If I switch the audio output to stereo, I get sound. Other files play fine with the digital output but they are avi files. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
post #254 of 2241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

this may be a dumb question but I picked one of these up tonight and have set it up. I'm connecting via HDMI to a receiver. I set the audio out to digital passthrough. I'm having a problem with audio on some files. On two mp4 files with AAC audio, I get no sound with the audio output set to digital passthrough. If I switch the audio output to stereo, I get sound. Other files play fine with the digital output but they are avi files. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Yes, this is a known 'problem'. I think digital passthrough probably sends AAC across to the receiver and the receiver can't decode it? I didn't have time to explore further, but putting it in stereo mode converts the AAC to LPCM before sending across to AV receiver. Whether this is a bug or feature, I don't know. Try opening a support ticket with WD ?
post #255 of 2241
Thanks Ganesh. It is good to know I'm not doing something wrong here given I'm very new to the media server world.
post #256 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Review done:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/w...ive-hub-review

Wasted time on the purported NAS capabilities.. Got to get some power consumption and noise figures in.. That will be down the road in the comments section probably

Thank's for the review.

The GUI seems very nice, component and hdmi is welcome, video playback will do for the vast majority who will benefit from the TB drive. The big plus from my perspective is the GUI. Gigabit ethernet is marketing and is similar to the PCH-C200.

All in all a very nice addition to the media player world.

philip
post #257 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I don't think they are tagged on the file, but they are stored separately. So, everyime you turn on, the cover art would remain. You can rescan / delete the tagged info any time you want.

Great, no need to press the "Get Content Now" option everytime I want to see the cover art.

Many thanks!

Transfering a 14gb file over the network took 37min! Ouch! Isn't it easier and quicker to do it directly from an external HDD to the Internal HDD?
post #258 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post
Review done:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/w...ive-hub-review

Wasted time on the purported NAS capabilities.. Got to get some power consumption and noise figures in.. That will be down the road in the comments section probably

Like some have mentioned already: Great Review! U even took things to a broader perspective with your background work (Sigma Designs office visit).
post #259 of 2241
Hub... It doesn't even support USB hubs LOL

This has a hard drive inside, you 'll want to copy files to/from it fast...

And you get...

Only one USB2 port.
No USB3, not even a dual Esata/USB2 port.
Slow network transfer (same Sigma bottleneck).
post #260 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Hub... It doesn't even support USB hubs LOL

This has a hard drive inside, you 'll want to copy files to/from it fast...

And you get...

Only one USB2 port.
No USB3, not even a dual Esata/USB2 port.
Slow network transfer (same Sigma bottleneck).

But I can transfer the files from an External Harddrive to the Internal One, right? Avoiding the network transfer.
post #261 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdie View Post

But I can transfer the files from an External Harddrive to the Internal One, right? Avoiding the network transfer.

I don't know, if it has the file transfer menu the Live/Plus have you can.


Nice GUI WD, nice webui remote function, nice goto function. Of course none of that will be back ported to the Live/Plus... Who cares? Right?
post #262 of 2241
hello,

auto framerate (MKV 23,976 / 50 Hz) does not function with the WD TV Live.

Can you test if this is now OK with the new WD TV Live Hub ?

Thank you

Picard007
post #263 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdie View Post

But I can transfer the files from an External Harddrive to the Internal One, right? Avoiding the network transfer.

the wording from jakmal's review makes is sound as if that is not possible:

Cons:
Content can be transferred to the internal hard disk from a computer using the network only.
post #264 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

the wording from jakmal's review makes is sound as if that is not possible:

Cons:
Content can be transferred to the internal hard disk from a computer using the network only.

No WD TV Live Hub for me then!! I have many mkv files, transfering those files via network will be a nightmare!!!
post #265 of 2241
Of course you can transfer from usb to internal drive!!

Where do you get these delusions?

from the review:

"5. Supports sync of USB drives and digital camera contents to internal hard disk through USB"

from the manual:

Transfer files easily – Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network
drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the Live Hub built-in drive using the on-screen
menus.

Why I want one.

It’s a multi-room media server streaming to any TV in your house – You can
stream any file on the WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live Plus or WD TV
Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc™ player, or game
console. The system is powerful enough to handle multiple streams so you can
stream a movie to your Blu-ray Disc™ player, while viewing photos on your TV
upstairs.
post #266 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal90002010 View Post

Of course you can transfer from usb to internal drive!!

Where do you get these delusions?

if you're speaking to me i get them from the review posted above. the way it's worded makes it appear that is the case. chill.
post #267 of 2241
I'm no expert but I think if you had an external drive hooked up to the unit via USB it would all be seen as local storage and you could move the files in the UI without having to go through the network. I think you should be able to click on a file, hit option and move and then select where on the internal drive you want it.
post #268 of 2241
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdie View Post

No WD TV Live Hub for me then!! I have many mkv files, transfering those files via network will be a nightmare!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal90002010 View Post

Of course you can transfer from usb to internal drive!!

Where do you get these delusions?

from the review:

"5. Supports sync of USB drives and digital camera contents to internal hard disk through USB"

from the manual:

Transfer files easily - Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network
drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the Live Hub built-in drive using the on-screen
menus.

Why I want one.

It's a multi-room media server streaming to any TV in your house - You can
stream any file on the WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live Plus or WD TV
Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or game
console. The system is powerful enough to handle multiple streams so you can
stream a movie to your Blu-ray Disc player, while viewing photos on your TV
upstairs.

Ferdie,

Post 2 in the above multiquote is correct, and my review wording is correct too. I had mentioned it is not possible to transfer to internal hard disk directly from a computer. If content is already on external hard disk, you can sync from USB device to internal hard disk of Live Hub.
post #269 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Ferdie,

Post 2 in the above multiquote is correct, and my review wording is correct too. I had mentioned it is not possible to transfer to internal hard disk directly from a computer. If content is already on external hard disk, you can sync from USB device to internal hard disk of Live Hub.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up. Another thing, how are 23.976fps files? Do they play ok? Without the 41 sec glitch?!

Thanks again!
post #270 of 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I'm no expert but I think if you had an external drive hooked up to the unit via USB it would all be seen as local storage and you could move the files in the UI without having to go through the network. I think you should be able to click on a file, hit option and move and then select where on the internal drive you want it.


Yes you can copy from the external to the internal HDD, or from the internal to the external. You can pull (use WD to get files from network) or push (use PC to put files on the WD).

It's much faster using the WD GUI to move files from an external drive to the internal. However, you can't do anything else on the unit while you do that, ie: you can't watch a file while you copy/move files.

If you push, it's slower, but you can watch a movie at the same time.


-Dave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread