Ok, another update.
I have not had time to do anything about the rack and the HVAC, but I have started on the 14' curved screen.
This is my own design, I am using Seymour acoustically transparent material with Fidelio velvet for the frame. I wanted to make sure that the wood would not expand or shrink too much so I got predried wood. Plus I had a metal frame using 6mm angle steel to support the wood frame. I did not want a hollow metal frame as that would affect the sound. (well thats what I was thinking anyway). And the screen being as big as it is, there would be no way to get behind the screen. So I designed a system where the screen is on hinges and it opens up like a huge door. Being that the screen will weigh over 250lbs with all the metal and wood, I could not have it open up from the bottom.
The screen had to be assembled in the theater as it being in a basement
there was no way I could get a completed frame in there. I took of a cover for a vent and got the material in the theater that way, could not get it through the door.
So I started at 8pm and just kept powering through until I had the screen material attached and the boarders complete, which ended up being 5am the next day. I just could not bare to have to come back and finish another day. Getting the material attached was a PITA!
Anyway, some pics.
Some more pics of the materials. You can see to the left the Vango PJ with the custom made ceiling mount, ready to be put up.
This is the door mechanism , the piece on the left will be bolted to the ceiling and the stage and the piece on the right will hold the wood frame and act as the door. The two pieces of angle in the middle will be bolted to the piece on the left and support the screen horizontally.
Close up of one of the hinges.
Assembled wood frame, the two pieces of wood in the center are going to be wraped in fidelio and used as the boarder.
Again those two pieces of wood will not be used here, I just put them there to get them out of the way.
A pic showing the curve.
Starting of the hardest part, stapling the material to the frame.
Top of the screen all attached and done.
With the boarders completed, all that needs to be done is have it mounted to the steel frame.
Well it turned out better than I though, I stood it up and checked to see how flat the curve was and to my surprise there is only about a 2-3mm difference between the top and bottom. Just about perfect and once it is mounted to the steel frame that may completely disappear.