or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 2D to 3D conversion - What display?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2D to 3D conversion - What display?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
i am looking for 3d tv , however it is not clear to me if only panasonic tv's do 2d to 3d conversion of movies or even live tv, or do other brands like samsung or sony tv's do this also. i am looking to spend $1,500. on new tv any suggestions?

thank you
tonyjd40
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

i am looking for 3d tv , however it is not clear to me if only panasonic tv's do 2d to 3d conversion of movies or even live tv, or do other brands like samsung or sony tv's do this also. i am looking to spend $1,500. on new tv any suggestions?

thank you
tonyjd40

Currently the VT25 Panasonics do NOT do conversion. Samsungs do it as does Sony. Quite honestly I wouldn't make a purchase based on this feature. I own a Samsung PN63C8000 and the feature works as advertised and does a great job, but it isn't nearly as immersive as dedicated 3D. I don't really use it, though I tried it initially to see how it worked. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently...
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
thanks would have been disappointed about buying a panasonic, what 3d tv would you reccomend for about $1500. ? any ?
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

thanks would have been disappointed about buying a panasonic, what 3d tv would you reccomend for about $1500. ? any ?

I haven't read any reviews, so buyer beware, but this 1080p Samsung 3D comes in at under $1,500 at Amazon.

I have a Samsung C8000 plasma 3D set and really like it.
post #5 of 8
BTW, 2D to 3D conversion on my Samsung is a lot of fun. I thought I'd hate it, but it's really grown on me. I watch a lot of 2D Blu-ray content converted to faux 3D, and it's a kick. I also watch quite a few TV shows converted, like Eureka. Shows like this, which are well composed with lots of foreground, middleground and background objects, work very well.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

BTW, 2D to 3D conversion on my Samsung is a lot of fun. I thought I'd hate it, but it's really grown on me. I watch a lot of 2D Blu-ray content converted to faux 3D, and it's a kick. I also watch quite a few TV shows converted, like Eureka. Shows like this, which are well composed with lots of foreground, middleground and background objects, work very well.

I hope I didn't give the impression I didn't like it. It works really well, it's just not something I use regularly, though I have to confess, after I wrote my last post I tried it with Dirt 2 on PS3 and it was pretty cool. It definitely is NOT a gimmick as others have stated. I'm glad others like it. I just hope folks understand it won't be the same as true 3D.
post #7 of 8
The Panasonic GT series does 2D to 3D conversion.

And the new Toshiba 3DTVs also have the feature
post #8 of 8
I've got a Samsung PN50C680 and it's got the 2D>3D conversion. I'm not sure if it's just my eyes or not though, but, I don't think the conversion really does that good of a job. It basically takes the image on screen and seperates it slightly to give a minimal feeling of depth from the things I've tried. The best conversion I've noticed so far was on my Pink Floyd: Pulse DVD. Gilmour's guitar at several points almost seemed to pop out from the screen. But basically, I don't know if I would worry too much about whether or not a TV has the conversion. Although I'm as 3D starved as everyone else is :-(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Displays › 2D to 3D conversion - What display?