or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Media Servers worthy of high end
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Media Servers worthy of high end - Page 8

post #211 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good option for those starting new but may not be worth upgrading from the Clarkdale really.

I would agree with that unless you need HDMI 1.4 support or are OK w/ disabling UAC for "proper" 24p support per Andy's find.

If you make heavy use of transcoding (I don't) then Sandy Bridge offers significant performance benefits and time savings.
post #212 of 519
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Wait a couple weeks.

Sorry to be dense, but is the Sandy Bridge review what I was waiting on ?
post #213 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Sorry to be dense, but is the Sandy Bridge review what I was waiting on ?

I think so. Considering the retail is the same as the Clarkdale and has some performance improvements over the Clarkdale, it's worth the wait. Unless he was referring to the new AMD chip which I don't know anything about.
post #214 of 519
Yes. Well one of the reviews to wait on. AMD will be showcasing their new integrated graphics solutions soon as well.
post #215 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I think so. Considering the retail is the same as the Clarkdale and has some performance improvements over the Clarkdale, it's worth the wait. Unless he was referring to the new AMD chip which I don't know anything about.

it was. 3D, lower tdp, hw transcode at a price very close to clarkdalr i3s. With a longer timeframe AMD has some very interesting HW coming.
post #216 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

it was. 3D, lower tdp, hw transcode at a price very close to clarkdalr i3s. With a longer timeframe and has some very interesting hw coming.y

Andy - did you review the Nvidia GT430 half height card? How does that compare to the Clarkdale and Sandy Bridge?
post #217 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Andy - did you review the Nvidia GT430 half height card? How does that compare to the Clarkdale and Sandy Bridge?

See http://www.missingremote.com/review/nvidia-gt-430. All of the GT 430 are half-height but most OEMs are not shipping the half height adapter with the retail box, you need to order them separately. They are only $4.99 but frustrating none-the-less.

(btw, I also have the EVGA GT 430 and Core i5-2500K if you have questions.)
post #218 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

See http://www.missingremote.com/review/nvidia-gt-430. All of the GT 430 are half-height but most OEMs are not shipping the half height adapter with the retail box, you need to order them separately. They are only $4.99 but frustrating none-the-less.

(btw, I also have the EVGA GT 430 and Core i5-2500K if you have questions.)

Thanks Andy! So what's the bottom line for low profile PC's? i5-2500k or gt430?
post #219 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks Andy! So what's the bottom line for low profile PC's? i5-2500k or gt430?

Andy will have to answer that for you but my perspective is that it varies on a couple different items.

If you need proper 24p support I would go w/ the GT430 since I don't consider disabling UAC a viable solution.

The HTPC-centric Sandy Bridge CPUs won't be available for a little while though so there is a chance it will be "fixed" by then.

If you have existing hardware the GT 430 makes sense for an upgrade path versus replacing everything.
post #220 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

Andy will have to answer that for you but my perspective is that it varies on a couple different items.

If you need proper 24p support I would go w/ the GT430 since I don't consider disabling UAC a viable solution.

The HTPC-centric Sandy Bridge CPUs won't be available for a little while though so there is a chance it will be "fixed" by then.

If you have existing hardware the GT 430 makes sense for an upgrade path versus replacing everything.

So you do consider the 430 an upgrade over the Clarkdale? (24p aside)
post #221 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

So you do consider the 430 an upgrade over the Clarkdale? (24p aside)

If you put 24p and HDMI 1.4 aside...yes but a very minor upgrade. My HQV-HD scores were slightly higher with the GT 430. I also like CUDA support since I have a few apps I wrote that utilize it. If a friend had a Clarkdale I wouldn't recommend spending the $$ on a GT 430 unless they had video issues or needed 3D support.
post #222 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

If you put 24p and HDMI 1.4 aside...yes but a very minor upgrade. My HQV-HD scores were slightly higher with the GT 430. I also like CUDA support since I have a few apps I wrote that utilize it. If a friend had a Clarkdale I wouldn't recommend spending the $$ on a GT 430 unless they had video issues or needed 3D support.

Thanks for the great info (as usual) Mikinho. So what's the biggest and baddest htpc card out there or coming out soon?
post #223 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks Andy! So what's the bottom line for low profile PC's? i5-2500k or gt430?

It depends

GT 430:

- YCbCr output - this is a clear win, SNB's YCbCr implementation is borked
- Edge w/ PC content on HDMI displays: greater bit depth means less chance of artifacts like banding when compressing 0-255 -> 16-235
- Precise frame rates (i.e. 24p) work w/o disabling UAC
- Cheaper

SNB:

- Better frame rate accuracy (but still not perfect) than the GT 430, but UAC must be disabled
- 3D is a clear win here; current GT 430 implementation is really user unfriendly
- less heat to dissipate
- Better audio drivers

All that said it's a tough call. My main concern with NVIDIA HW is that they don't seem as focused on the HTPC as other segments (which of makes business sense, but I don't have to like it); for e.g. the 4x0 cards have been out since August with only one WHQL driver that has some serious configuration and audio problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

The HTPC-centric Sandy Bridge CPUs won't be available for a little while though so there is a chance it will be "fixed" by then.

I'd say more HTPC-centric... In the i3 space I don't see a huge reason to wait, 65W is good enough; if you need more power 95W can be done in a LP case but I think the 45W or 65W i5s are better options.
post #224 of 519
Thread Starter 
In my case, I do care about being as source direct as I can be, YCbCr seems like a good thing in that case. But, I would not be doing any transcoding on a client PC (the target build), and I am not worried about PC level output as a priority.

As for frame rate accuracy, I'm a Little fuzzy in the 24/23.976 is an issue for me or not. I will not use 3D for this client.

I am looking at heat pipe cooled quiet cases so low power is a preference, or quiet in any case.

Sorry, being dense again, I'm a little fuzzy on the complete meaning of this: I missed where the power came into it:

"In the i3 space I don't see a huge reason to wait, 65W is good enough; if you need more power 95W can be done in a LP case but I think the 45W or 65W i5s are better options"

So for my preferences, knowing I'm going into a external VP, does that help lean the choice one way or the other? That is, SNB (SandyBridge) or get a Clarkdale and add the Nvidia video card? (Is the Nvidia an option in a small/quiet case?)

Or wait a little while longer on the AMD?

Thanks for your help, participation,and opinions.

Hopefully they will fix some of the issues found by the time the SMB gets out. When is it supposed to be for sale?

THANKS!
Scott
post #225 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I am looking at heat pipe cooled quiet cases so low power is a preference, or quiet in any case.

Keep an eye out on Missing Remote this week for a heat pipe cooled system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

So for my preferences, knowing I'm going into a external VP, does that help lean the choice one way or the other? That is, SNB (SandyBridge) or get a Clarkdale and add the Nvidia video card? (Is the Nvidia an option in a small/quiet case?)

Regardless of whether you get a discrete video card I would suggest the Sandy Bridge over a Clarkdale. The price point is only marginally higher and well worth it for a new purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Or wait a little while longer on the AMD?

You shouldn't need to wait more than another 3 days so definitely worth seeing what is coming from AMD.
post #226 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

In my case, I do care about being as source direct as I can be, YCbCr seems like a good thing in that case. But, I would not be doing any transcoding on a client PC (the target build), and I am not worried about PC level output as a priority.

PCs are not good candidates for source direct, if that remains a requirement for this client you may want to revaluate either the requirement or potential solution.

Using YCbCr output on a PC probably means the video goes YCbCr->RGB->YCbCr at least in most cases*, so it's essential when a display doesn't handle RGB correctly and convenient when using multiple source devices on the same input where that input is calibrated for YCbCr.

* SNB should not convert to YCbCr to RGB when configured to output YCbCr and a fullscreen overlay renderer (i.e. what I think TMT and PDVD are using) is in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

As for frame rate accuracy, I'm a Little fuzzy in the 24/23.976 is an issue for me or not. I will not use 3D for this client.

Refresh rate precision is an issue for everyone, but most noticeable for content like 24p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

"In the i3 space I don't see a huge reason to wait, 65W is good enough; if you need more power 95W can be done in a LP case but I think the 45W or 65W i5s are better options"

For HTPC use lower is generally better. The SNB i5/i7 parts are all 95W max TDP CPUs where the i3 parts are 65W. Clarkdale i3s are 73W, so there's a clear advantage to getting an SNB rev instead of a Clarkdale even when ignoring all the other improvements.

There are 45 and 65W SNB i5s coming, so it's probably worth waiting for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Or wait a little while longer on the AMD?

I agree with Mikinho, it is worth a few more days to see what comes out at CES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Hopefully they will fix some of the issues found by the time the SMB gets out. When is it supposed to be for sale?

Next few days.
post #227 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
I am looking at heat pipe cooled quiet cases so low power is a preference, or quiet in any case.
Scott, if you are still looking at different heat pipe chassis, take a look at the H10.ODD review at http://www.missingremote.com/review/...anless-chassis. I was very happy with it.

HDPLEX CEO Larry Liu is also a AVS Forum member.
post #228 of 519
Thread Starter 
Perfect thanks. I had just emailed Tony a link to this case after recently finding it. But maybe too hot for a Sandybridge? Looking forward to hearing about the AMD. Thanks again!
post #229 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Perfect thanks. I had just emailed Tony a link to this case after recently finding it. But maybe too hot for a Sandybridge? Looking forward to hearing about the AMD. Thanks again!
All of the announced Sandy Bridge Core i3 series processors will have a Max CPU TDP of 65 W so they should be good. I'm interested in getting the Core i3-2120 and seeing want the AMD Zacate can do.

For now, I'm going to test the Core i5-2500K and DH67BL combination in the H10.ODD tonight! Its 95 W Max TDP rating is pushing it but in HTPC usage I really should never get close to full utilization.
post #230 of 519
Thread Starter 
Cool (Lets hope )..
post #231 of 519
post #232 of 519
Any group that would want to antagonize the US government by holding their yearly meetings in Havana, is looking for trouble.

Now this could be a game changer:

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/...SMP8910_br.pdf
post #233 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Any group that would want to antagonize the US government by holding their yearly meetings in Havana, is looking for trouble.

Now this could be a game changer:

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/...SMP8910_br.pdf

That link won't open for me.
post #234 of 519
post #235 of 519
If I may....

I read Getgray's input a couple of times (just to be sure), and then read the whole thread a few times. And unless I'm wrong we (and I speak collectively) have not addressed his main concern.

"Source direct A/V - in a media server setup"

Have we? We've talked about a lot of things, but does it not boil down to this? NONE...and I mean NONE of the solutions available "today", with a media server/client/media player architecture will do what Getgray wants? right?

The answer's yes or no. Not may be, not ..in the future...not...with sandybridge or the brooklyn bridge...or...
post #236 of 519
Thread Starter 
From all the things I've checked and researched the answer is no. I haven't gone back to revise my preferences though, I can hope .

However, that said, what I'm looking for now is the lesser of evils. I'm really waiting on Vail to come out of Beta anyway, but I'm going to setup WHS for the time being and play around with it. Once that's functional, I'd like to start playing with the various client possibilities. I bought a Sage to try, but I expect in the end I'm going to want the snappy behavior of the PC. So for now, or soon when some of the new things hit the ground, I'd like to do the best I can for a PC client. Best as in close to SD as it can do anyway. One of the problem with this is that few if any reviews can test SD because like about everything I seem to do, that's not what the masses do . So all we can do is go on specs and input from these talented experts who have graciously chimed in here (thanks again guys) and try to choose the lesser of evils. One problem with that is some of them are so smart about the topic I am just barely keeping up with the technicalities in "their" (PC) world.

So maybe that helps clarify the answer I'm hoping to find. It seems a little gray right now because of all the variables, potential driver fixes, or not, unreleased or unreviewed hardware around the corner, etc. But if (when) anyone thinks they can pin something down as the best for now choice, myself as well as several others I know have been monitoring this thread, are all ears

Long day tomorrow and the next, and next, gotta run... But to all, my sincere thanks for the continued participation on this topic.
post #237 of 519
Thread Starter 
I saw somewhere something (AnyDVD I think) was having trouble with a new encryption (name started with a C, I was hurrying as usual). And AnyDVD had a sale before new year and said they were ending their lifetime subs. Hopefully this won't all be moot. I'll have one hell of a file server to let go if it was And be saving for the dreaded vault
post #238 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

...(name started with a C, I was hurrying as usual).

Cinavia I think.
post #239 of 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I saw somewhere something (AnyDVD I think) was having trouble with a new encryption (name started with a C, I was hurrying as usual). And AnyDVD had a sale before new year and said they were ending their lifetime subs. Hopefully this won't all be moot. I'll have one hell of a file server to let go if it was And be saving for the dreaded vault

I think what AnyDVD is planning to do is end the lifetime subscriptions which would force owner's to renew past 1 yr (or what ever the longest allowed subscription is now). They still plan to continue providing updates for those with valid subscriptions. I guess they decided the lifetime subscriptions are not worth offering any longer. With ripping movies becoming increasingly popular, I can understand their decision from a business prospective. They rather you renew every year or two and keep taking your money.
post #240 of 519
Thread Starter 
Agreed. Fortunately, I happened to go to get mine literally on the deadline, so I got the lifetime and discount. Lucky (I hope )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Media Servers worthy of high end