- UVD3, HDMI 1.4a, DisplayPort 1.2
- AMD Eyefinity Technology
- AMD EyeSpeed Technology
- AMD HD3D Technology
- AMD's White Papers
- Release Plan
Apart from gaming performance, the new AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series supports several interesting features.
UVD3, HDMI 1.4a, DisplayPort 1.2
Radeon HD 6000 Series GPUs are equipped with UVD3 (Universal Video Decoder, 3rd generation) that can decode MPEG-4 MVC (Multi-View Codec) (Blu-ray 3D codec) and MPEG-4 Part 2 codec (DivX and Xvid), and finally supports VLD for MPEG-2 (has been advertised for a long time, but never been implemented; AMD now officially admitted that it is not implemented in UVD/UVD2!).
HD 6800 Series supports the following display outputs:
- HDMI 1.4a x 1
- Mini DisplayPort 1.2 x 2
- Dual-Link DVI x 1
- Single-Link DVI x 1
AMD EyeFinity Technology
DisplayPort 1.2 supports:
- 21.6 Gbps (17.28 Gb/s video) bandwidth (much higher than HDMI and dual-link DVI)
- Multiple video streams throuth a single connector
AMD EyeSpeed Technology
AMD EyeSpeed Technology is the new name of AMD's visual acceleration technology. The basic ingredients are
- AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) Technology (formerly ATI Stream)
AMD HD3D Technology
- AMD HD3D Technology (AMD's official page)
- ATI to use HDMI 1.4a, DisplayPort 1.2 open source 3D standard (Neoseeker) (an older article)
- 3D Platform Wars: NVIDIA 3D Vision vs AMD HD3D vs 3D HDTV (BenchmarkReviews) (the longest article)
- 3D Gaming (Legit Reviews)
- 3Stereoscopic 3D With AMD’s HD3D (Tom's Hardware) (a nice summary)
So we can now play stereoscopic 3D games with a Radeon HD 6800 Series graphics card and a HDMI 1.4a display (via DDD and iZ3D’s stereoscopic gaming drivers), but only up to 720p@60Hz (per eye) due to HDMI 1.4a limitation. We will be able to play stereoscopic 3D games at 1080p@60Hz (per eye) via DisplayPort 1.2 when monitor vendors begin incorporating DisplayPort 1.2 sometime next year (but it's PC monitors that support DisplayPort; we won't see a CE displays supporting DisplayPort in a foreseeable future).
AMD's White Papers
If you want to understand the technologies, read:
- AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Display Technologies (on DisplayPort 1.2 and AMD HD3D Technology)
- AMD Video Technologies (on UVD3 and AMD’s HD post processing)
- HD 6800 Series (Barts) was released on October 21, 2010.
- HD 6950, 6970 (Cayman) will be released in December 2010.
- HD 6990 (Antilles) (Cayman x 2) will be released in Q1 2011.
- HD 6700 Series is a rework of HD 5700 Series.
- HD 6600 Series (Turks), HD 6500 Series (Turks) and HD 6450 (Caicos) will be released in Q1 2011.