or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 9

post #241 of 5439
Shin...just realized you're in Orlando...I'm in Sarasota.
post #242 of 5439
Hello All,

Due to my wife complaining about my surround sound while playing MW2 very much like some of the others on here, I am thinking about switching to head phones. I really dont want to loose any sense of direction clues while playing online and would like to save money and use what i have.

My question is this, I have a Pioneer 1019 receiver and it has "Headphone Surround". If i hook up a pair of nice stereo (Bose QC3) headphones to my reciever in this mode, will i be getting good virual surround compared to something like the AX720s. I am most concerned with the depth and clarity of the "sound stage".

Thanks in advance, i kinda want a solution before BO launches next week and would like to use what I already own.
post #243 of 5439
I have Bose QC15, and I can assure you, it DOES work for surround sound, but is not THAT good. Maybe because is active noise cancelling, so is cancelling some frequencies used for the "surround feeling".

You will hear improvements over stereo, but probably, some cheap Creative Aurvana Live! will give you a better experience than the Bose.
post #244 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

Hello All,

Due to my wife complaining about my surround sound while playing MW2 very much like some of the others on here, I am thinking about switching to head phones. I really dont want to loose any sense of direction clues while playing online and would like to save money and use what i have.

My question is this, I have a Pioneer 1019 receiver and it has "Headphone Surround". If i hook up a pair of nice stereo (Bose QC3) headphones to my reciever in this mode, will i be getting good virual surround compared to something like the AX720s. I am most concerned with the depth and clarity of the "sound stage".

Thanks in advance, i kinda want a solution before BO launches next week and would like to use what I already own.

Try it and find out! My guess is it will be a good start. You won't have voice mixing, which the mixamp and AX720 offer, and if you use voice chat while gaming, it's kind of a must, but it should sound fine.
post #245 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Try it and find out! My guess is it will be a good start. You won't have voice mixing, which the mixamp and AX720 offer, and if you use voice chat while gaming, it's kind of a must, but it should sound fine.

Cool thanks guys. I will give it a shot after work. I just need to pick up a 1/8th inch to 1/4inch jack. I suppose the sound stage will all rely on how good the pioneer does at simulating the virtual surround sound.
post #246 of 5439
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mack Daddy View Post

Shin...just realized you're in Orlando...I'm in Sarasota.

Small world, lol. How far is Sarasota from Orlando anyway? Maybe I'd let you come over and try out the DT990 and K701.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post

Hello All,

Due to my wife complaining about my surround sound while playing MW2 very much like some of the others on here, I am thinking about switching to head phones. I really dont want to loose any sense of direction clues while playing online and would like to save money and use what i have.

My question is this, I have a Pioneer 1019 receiver and it has "Headphone Surround". If i hook up a pair of nice stereo (Bose QC3) headphones to my reciever in this mode, will i be getting good virual surround compared to something like the AX720s. I am most concerned with the depth and clarity of the "sound stage".

Thanks in advance, i kinda want a solution before BO launches next week and would like to use what I already own.

If that doesn't work out for you, read up on the first post for other solutions.
post #247 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

If that doesn't work out for you, read up on the first post for other solutions.

Yeah thats the plan. You know how it is though. She will complain about the surround sound shaking the house, and she will complain if i spend more money on Headphones.

I loose either way.
post #248 of 5439
Thread Starter 
Women. They always have something to complain about.

In my gf's case, it's "Why the hell do you need so many headphones? They're all the same!"

BAH! What does she know. She wanted Skullcandy Lowriders at one point! I got them and she never used them!
post #249 of 5439
My wife doesnt understand why i have so many either, but now its to the point where i can have a new pair shipped to work and she'll never know... she asks where i got them and i could just tell her i've had them... haha.

PC360:
11/05/2010 4:59 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
he usually delivers within the next hour
post #250 of 5439
Thread Starter 
E9 owners at Head-fi are mirroring my opinions on it. The Fiio E9 is on it's way to becoming a favored amp in the Head-fi community.
post #251 of 5439
So, just curious. You want DT770 pros but have 990s.? Do you recommend I get the 770s instead?

From my understanding, you are saying that it is between the K702 and 990s for gaming. 990s being better for SP and non competition considering they have more bass, are closed but they do not compromise bass for quality. K701/2 because they have a wider soundstage, but less bass and are open are better for competitions. But also you say K702 probably have a margin of better quality over 990s.

But then you bring the 770 pros back!! lol, this is crazy head spinning.... but fun
post #252 of 5439
Shin...probably about 3 hours or so. A good friend of mine lives in Lake Mary so I go hang out sometimes. I would definetley love to check both those phones out that'd be awesome. I may however go on amazon right now and see if I can scoop some 990s at a good price. The PC360s are good and all but they're just a little to snug around my head which was my initial complaint about them. And knowing me I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time so...
post #253 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post
My wife doesnt understand why i have so many either, but now its to the point where i can have a new pair shipped to work and she'll never know... she asks where i got them and i could just tell her i've had them... haha.

PC360:
11/05/2010 4:59 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
he usually delivers within the next hour
Nice...I'm anxious to hear your impressions and see how you feel these stack up.
post #254 of 5439
Sorry to be a bother, but I have one more question. Has anyone worn the AX720s with 3d glasses, or even regular glasses? Are they uncomfortable or put pressure on the ears?

I ask because I plan on playing BO in 3d and the 3d glasses with the Panasonic tvs have big arms and i worry they will be very uncomfortable with headphones, specifcally the AX720s.

Worst case i can buy them from best buy and i could return them i suppose.
post #255 of 5439
i looked at my ax720, then i looked at my spy sunglasses and thought theres no way.

but i put them both on, and its suprisingly comfortable... no issues for me but a different head size/shape may differ for you.

i say give it a shot though.
post #256 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post
i looked at my ax720, then i looked at my spy sunglasses and thought theres no way.

but i put them both on, and its suprisingly comfortable... no issues for me but a different head size/shape may differ for you.

i say give it a shot though.
Sweet. thanks for checking that for me. I may have to give them a shot now.
post #257 of 5439
its weird too, because at first glance it looks like theres no way it'll work because of how the pads on the ax720 are designed, i mean these sunglasses hurt inside of my motorcycle helmet.
post #258 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmcalpin View Post
Cool thanks guys. I will give it a shot after work. I just need to pick up a 1/8th inch to 1/4inch jack. I suppose the sound stage will all rely on how good the pioneer does at simulating the virtual surround sound.
Actually, the sound stage will depend more on your headphones. In other words, if you think the sound stage is small with your pioneer and bose headphones, it will still be similar with the ax720 or mixamp in place of the pioneer. A lot of people use their receiver with dolby headphone or similar headphone virtual surround processing with good results. If you don't need voice chat, and aren't happy with the soundstage, your next step would be different headphones, not a different receiver/amp.
post #259 of 5439
Formulanerd.........I hope you're not posting because you are rocking out your new Senns
post #260 of 5439
The Absolute Sound/AVGuide has a downloadable 'Guide to Full Size Headphones' up. I haven't read all of it but it's got reviews of a bunch of different 'phones (including the K702, BD DT-880 PRO, and BD DT-990 Premium) as well as some blurbs about some upcoming models. That part seems like mostly marketing speak from the manufacturers, but interesting anyway. I'm sure this is mostly geared towards music listening but I thought some here may find it interesting.

edit: The thing says 'Sponsored by HiFiMAN' right on it, and they do review two HiFiMAN headphones. It doesn't seem to effect the reviews in general, but FYI.

Headphone Buyer's Gude
post #261 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post

So, just curious. You want DT770 pros but have 990s.? Do you recommend I get the 770s instead?

I'm not Shin... but I think he just wants 770s when his GF complains k701/DT990 are too noisy, or to use them in a shared enviroment since both are open so leak sound, and 770 are closed.

Something like why I want CAL, since my K702 are quite noise to take them to my office... sometimes... depending on the music... :P
post #262 of 5439
yes, i got the PC360 today... and yes, this was the latest the UPS dude has ever delivered here... it doesnt help that i kept looking out the window and waiting.

played a few matches in MW2 and listened to some music through the dashboard.

pretty impressed with both! i'll hold off on really judging them until i get a little more time with them, and they break in a little...
post #263 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Actually, the sound stage will depend more on your headphones. In other words, if you think the sound stage is small with your pioneer and bose headphones, it will still be similar with the ax720 or mixamp in place of the pioneer. A lot of people use their receiver with dolby headphone or similar headphone virtual surround processing with good results. If you don't need voice chat, and aren't happy with the soundstage, your next step would be different headphones, not a different receiver/amp.

Cool thanks for the update. Sounds promising. I went out and bought the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and got a freakin mono one. Now i need to go back to the shack and exchange it for a stereo plug. grr. Oh well i appreciate all your help. You all have me convinced headphones are the way to go. Cant wait for BO!!
post #264 of 5439
i will say though... for anyone not looking to "rig something up" this is absolutely the best solution... pc360+mixamp with 4pole Y adapter.
post #265 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by obazavil View Post

I'm not Shin... but I think he just wants 770s when his GF complains k701/DT990 are too noisy, or to use them in a shared enviroment since both are open so leak sound, and 770 are closed.

Something like why I want CAL, since my K702 are quite noise to take them to my office... sometimes... depending on the music... :P

Ahh, so basically the DT770s are as good as closed headphones are going to get. Cool, maybe I'll check those out as well. Although, I do have a game room and open is not a problem. It's just blasting games is not something I can do. And no sound beats cans imho
post #266 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

The Absolute Sound/AVGuide has a downloadable 'Guide to Full Size Headphones' up. I haven't read all of it but it's got reviews of a bunch of different 'phones (including the K702, BD DT-880 PRO, and BD DT-990 Premium) as well as some blurbs about some upcoming models. That part seems like mostly marketing speak from the manufacturers, but interesting anyway. I'm sure this is mostly geared towards music listening but I thought some here may find it interesting.

edit: The thing says 'Sponsored by HiFiMAN' right on it, and they do review two HiFiMAN headphones. It doesn't seem to effect the reviews in general, but FYI.

Headphone Buyer's Gude

Or Just ask me.. I doubt absolute sound knows a lot about headphones in general.. & will guarantee you they would rank Bose high on the list.
You want good headphones under the Radar. Fostex T50/DT48/DT480/Yamaha vintage ortho's.. Vintage Lambda STAX..
post #267 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

they would rank Bose high on the list.


post #268 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post



So they gave Bose a bad rating? I never read one site like the one listed give a Bose headphone like the quiet comfort a bad review.. Don't feel like downloading the list.. I read enough HD800/W5000/D2000/AD900/Bose comparisons to know that the reviewers are in the bag with Bose..
post #269 of 5439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Or Just ask me.. I doubt absolute sound knows a lot about headphones in general.. & will guarantee you they would rank Bose high on the list.
You want good headphones under the Radar. Fostex T50/DT48/DT480/Yamaha vintage ortho's.. Vintage Lambda STAX..

Do you have something against A Perfect Sound/Playback/AVGuide or what?

The list/reviews are just a high level kind of thing. I didn't post it for you "hardcore" headphoners because obviously you already know what you like.

Anyway, there aren't even any Bose headphones in the list, so you can rest easy.
post #270 of 5439
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post

So, just curious. You want DT770 pros but have 990s.? Do you recommend I get the 770s instead?

From my understanding, you are saying that it is between the K702 and 990s for gaming. 990s being better for SP and non competition considering they have more bass, are closed but they do not compromise bass for quality. K701/2 because they have a wider soundstage, but less bass and are open are better for competitions. But also you say K702 probably have a margin of better quality over 990s.

But then you bring the 770 pros back!! lol, this is crazy head spinning.... but fun

No, no. I don't want the 770 Pros. I HAD them. The ones I want are the Premium DT770 600ohm, which are VERY different from the 770 Pro 80ohm. Like two different headphones.

The K701 and 990s are fully open, so they leak out noise. I'm in the living room when I use them so it's not a problem, but if there comes at time when I need to be quiet or someone is in the same room sleeping, the 770 600ohm is my best bet. Closed headphones have a very different sound from open headphones. A little more calustrophobic, smaller soundstage, and usually a LOT more bass. The 770 600ohm are considered very balanced, and still has a decent soundstage that gives some open headphones a run for their money when it comes to soundstage. Most headphones sold in local stores are closed, so chances are you already know what to expect, but on a waaaay higher level with the 770 600ohm.

As for 702 vs 990s, it depends. If you're gonna play a lot of FPS, the 702 will have an advantage. If you're gonna play lots of various games and listen to music, I'd prefer the more fun 990s.

I wouldn't wanna choose only one, which is why I have both, lol.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. For now, the 990s would get more use for me. I whip out the K701 for Call of Duty and whenever I feel like being analytical of music.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ)