or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ) - Page 148

post #4411 of 5440
Wireless quest 2012 continues...

Originally shied away from the tritton primers because they were the budget model, they're supra-aural, the mic isnt wireless and they had smaller drivers. But seeing that the bigger models had overbearing bass, were too small for my head and ears, and my ultrasones sound fantastic with 40mm drivers....they might not be so bad.

Also gonna pick up the new MS wireless headset while I'm at it.

Impressions later...
post #4412 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

You're in luck:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/xbox-36...g-x-320_504199

Looks solid, but it's till not wireless to the headset. If somebody can get that done w/ some audiophile quality, now we're talking. I'll get the Warheads day one, and if they sound like crap, I'll return 'em...
post #4413 of 5440
These primers ain't half bad.

The sound quality is decent. It's pretty balanced, bass is present but not overpowering. They have no built in EQ, but if you're using a receiver and you can kick the treble up a notch, they're pretty balanced and full sounding. Xp400s were just too hollow. There's still plenty of distortion with any real dynamics, typical of mediocre headsets, but it's pretty inoffensive. Even though the xp400s were slightly clearer, I'd take these over them any day. Over the detonator/devastator/warhead it's a slightly tougher call...depends whether or not you want a ton of bass. The detonators were maybe slightly more dynamic and could handle volume spikes with a little more grace, but since they were nothing special in that regard, it's not a huge advantage. These are good, but not great. I dunno if you can expect much more in a $99 wireless model.

They have no surround processing, so if you don't have a receiver that can handle this, you're definitely going to be missing something. Wireless performance is good...no clicks pops or static, but there's a constant low level buzz...which completely goes away with the faintest sound playing over it.

Chat sounds good, you have simple dials on one ear to control the mix, mic flips away real easy. You have no way to hear your own voice though. And of course you have the dreaded mic cable.

Comfort is merely ok so far....they're somewhere between on and over ear. I wish the cups were a little bigger for sure. They're not going to fit entirely over anyone but a 10 year old's ears. The detonators weren't much better, they still pinched in their own way though. I'm going to try to stretch these out a bit over the next few days, since most of the discomfort comes from how tightly they press against your head. The xp400s were way better, softer, and completely covered your ears. The padding actually seems like a higher quality than the cheap rubber on the detonators, so that bodes well for the devastators and warheads. Build quality is good, and it doesnt look as gaudy as the TBs, with giant palm tree logos.

I'll probably still go for the devastators when they drop since my receiver can make up for its shortcomings and I want to go full wireless. But I can recommend these for someone looking for an inexpensive wireless headset. They look, feel and sound $99, and that's all you can really expect. I like them better than the xp400s, which cost twice as much. I can't imagine how dreadful TBs lower end models sound.
post #4414 of 5440
The wireless headset is...meh. It's pretty comfortable, looks nice. Got the mw3 version which came with a little charging dock unlike the normal one...AND was cheaper.

There's just a fatal flaw here...because its so far away from your mouth, it's sensitive to way too much background noise. Don't you hate that guy who's mic activates every time he fires a shot cause his volume is so high? YOU'RE THAT GUY. Even at a lower that comfortable volume to play at, gunshots activate it. Even silenced ones. Really wanna like this one, but I just dunno if I can be that guy. What's the point if everyone just mutes you cause you're annoying?
post #4415 of 5440
Hi all,
I'm new at AVS Forum, typing from Spain.

I'm using now an Astro A30 + mixamp on my Xbox, but I'm really tired of connecting and disconnecting so many cables every time I play. Therefore I want to change them to a Wireless Headset. I was waiting for the TB XP400, but I'm sudly surprised about your bad feedback... Could anyone compare them (specially the sound) to my current A30?

PS: I won't ask for the release date of the warhead, I guess that's what we're all looking forward to know...

PS2: I apologise for my bad english
post #4416 of 5440
I haven't heard the A30s, but I have heard the A40s. Those sounded as bass heavy as the trittons, but with less distortion. I imagine astro is going for that sound, so they're probably pretty similar. If that's what you're used to, you're going to hate the xp400s. I seriously can't emphasize enough how lacking the bass was. The "bass boost" made it so much worse.

Right now theyre seemingly the only 100% wireless option, so you choice is either xp400s or wait for warheads. If you care about sound quality....wait. The xp400s just aren't worth what they're asking.

Now that I've stretched the primers out a bit they're WAY more comfortable, and I'm probably going to hold on to them until the devastators come out. I'll have to deal with the mic cable until then.
post #4417 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I haven't heard the A30s, but I have heard the A40s. Those sounded as bass heavy as the trittons, but with less distortion. I imagine astro is going for that sound, so they're probably pretty similar. If that's what you're used to, you're going to hate the xp400s. I seriously can't emphasize enough how lacking the bass was. The "bass boost" made it so much worse.

Right now theyre seemingly the only 100% wireless option, so you choice is either xp400s or wait for warheads. If you care about sound quality....wait. The xp400s just aren't worth what they're asking.

Now that I've stretched the primers out a bit they're WAY more comfortable, and I'm probably going to hold on to them until the devastators come out. I'll have to deal with the mic cable until then.

Have you looked at or tried the XP500? I'm using the Ear Force Delta, which is basically an MW3 branded XP500, and I don't find it too bass light. It's not bass heavy either, but you don't want that for gaming. The XP400 looks like the XP500 with a different surround processor.
post #4418 of 5440
I took them off my list because they're 2.4ghz only, and the only place I have for the base station is right next to my 2.4ghz router.

Honestly though, I'm pretty turned off by TB as a whole, now that I see what kind of quality is acceptable to them in a $220 headset.
post #4419 of 5440
My X41's are a little light on the base, but they process surround well. They accurately localize sound effects for the most part. Sometimes it depends on the game. MW3=great. BF3=ok.
post #4420 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I haven't heard the A30s, but I have heard the A40s. Those sounded as bass heavy as the trittons, but with less distortion. I imagine astro is going for that sound, so they're probably pretty similar. If that's what you're used to, you're going to hate the xp400s. I seriously can't emphasize enough how lacking the bass was. The "bass boost" made it so much worse.

Right now theyre seemingly the only 100% wireless option, so you choice is either xp400s or wait for warheads. If you care about sound quality....wait. The xp400s just aren't worth what they're asking.

Now that I've stretched the primers out a bit they're WAY more comfortable, and I'm probably going to hold on to them until the devastators come out. I'll have to deal with the mic cable until then.

Thank you BD2003 for your reply. I really care about the sound quality, you give me very bad news for my XP400s expectations. Surround is needed for Shooters (my favorite game type) but the most important for me is the quality, clear sound and balanced (but powerful) bass and tremble. The A30 is quite good in this respect, but the cables are a serious drag.

I think I will wait for Warheads, just praying not to be overpriced ... even so, Devastators could be a good choice, but it's just stereo without digital connexion to the console, isn't it? If so it doesn't seem very encouraging
post #4421 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by khenag View Post


Thank you BD2003 for your reply. I really care about the sound quality, you give me very bad news for my XP400s expectations. Surround is needed for Shooters (my favorite game type) but the most important for me is the quality, clear sound and balanced (but powerful) bass and tremble. The A30 is quite good in this respect, but the cables are a serious drag.

I think I will wait for Warheads, just praying not to be overpriced ... even so, Devastators could be a good choice, but it's just stereo without digital connexion to the console, isn't it? If so it doesn't seem very encouraging

Yep, devastators are stereo. In your case, the warheads are exactly what you need. They're probably going to be around $250 or so. If you like powerful bass you'll probably like them, pretty sure they'll have an EQ that lets you tune them in some way. Hopefully they have a higher quality amp in them since they're so pricey. The surround is dolby headphone, same as the mixamp, so if you're happy with that...it'll be everything you want, and then some.

Except it won't be out for another 4 years.
post #4422 of 5440
4 years? I settle for 2... But I fear that Microsoft will not invest a single dollar in R & D to make them compatible with next generation (yeah guys, that is not profitable for rich people). I hope I'm wrong...
post #4423 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by khenag View Post

4 years? I settle for 2... But I fear that Microsoft will not invest a single dollar in R & D to make them compatible with next generation (yeah guys, that is not profitable for rich people). I hope I'm wrong...

Well, the headset will definitely work. No question about that. The mic is the only part that could go either way.
post #4424 of 5440
I've seen this Razer:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...oryId.35096300

It looks fine, a little heavy (369 g / 0.81 lbs), but impressive features:

Radio Frequency: 5.8GHz
Dolby® Headphone / Dolby Pro Logic® II / Dolby Digital
Wireless Range: 33ft / 10m
Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000 Hz
Impedance: 32O at 1kHz
Sensitivity (@1kHz, 1V/Pa): 105dB +/- 2dB
Drivers: 50 mm, with Neodymium Magnets
Batteries: 2 AAA Batteries (Up to 8 Hours Battery Life)
Charging Time: 3 Hours

just for 209$

The only downside apart from the weight seems to be the cable to connect the headset with the xbox controller for chat (not confirmed, it's a suspiction) but I personally could live with that.

Any feedback about this headset?
post #4425 of 5440
Haven't heard them, curious myself....but the mic is definitely wired.

It's funny how cagey all the headphone manufacturers are about that, they try and hide that in the fine print.

At $209, I wouldn't settle for any wires unless it sounds AMAZING. It's still enough of a PITA and a distraction to find and plug in the wire.
post #4426 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Haven't heard them, curious myself....but the mic is definitely wired.

It's funny how cagey all the headphone manufacturers are about that, they try and hide that in the fine print.

At $209, I wouldn't settle for any wires unless it sounds AMAZING. It's still enough of a PITA and a distraction to find and plug in the wire.

I agree. Looked pretty solid, but I was unable to discern if it's wireless to the controller. At this point, the wired to the controller thing is outdated. Might as well pay another $50 and do it right.
post #4427 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

I agree. Looked pretty solid, but I was unable to discern if it's wireless to the controller. At this point, the wired to the controller thing is outdated. Might as well pay another $50 and do it right.

Really? 50 bucks to save yourself a smaller-than-headphone cord?
I'm obviously in the wrong line of work! Lol!
post #4428 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post


Really? 50 bucks to save yourself a smaller-than-headphone cord?
I'm obviously in the wrong line of work! Lol!

Wait until you forget that wire is there, your puppy starts dropping a deuce on the carpet, you dash over and toss the controller aside, and your head goes with the controller.

New rule: anything that you hold or otherwise attaches to your body, MUST be wireless.
post #4429 of 5440
Sennheiser pc360 owners: Are any of you using a windscreen for the boom mic? It's a fairly large mic, and my old xbox headset's windscreen is way too small for it.
post #4430 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott128 View Post

Sennheiser pc360 owners: Are any of you using a windscreen for the boom mic? It's a fairly large mic, and my old xbox headset's windscreen is way too small for it.

nope... the mic usually sits right near my chin, no issues.
post #4431 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post


nope... the mic usually sits right near my chin, no issues.

Same for me
post #4432 of 5440
One thing to consider is how often you buy something like that. If it's something I'm going to get a lot of use out of, I don't mind waiting, saving up and paying a little more. I'd rather wait/pay more and get something I'm TOTALLY happy with, rather than give in to temptation and have something I'm sort-of happy with sooner than later. And yes, it also helps to have a paid off car and no credit card debt!
post #4433 of 5440
For which who wanted to know it, Tritton Warhead will be released on 15th june (according to amazon spain). Just one month more to clear up any doubts...
post #4434 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

One thing to consider is how often you buy something like that. If it's something I'm going to get a lot of use out of, I don't mind waiting, saving up and paying a little more. I'd rather wait/pay more and get something I'm TOTALLY happy with, rather than give in to temptation and have something I'm sort-of happy with sooner than later. And yes, it also helps to have a paid off car and no credit card debt!

I have a car note & credit card debt.. and I still agree 110% lol. For any gaming, my 4+ year old A40/mixamp solution still works perfectly fine. I know exactly what my gripes are.. and all these wires are by far the biggest drawback of this solution. I plan on buying one headset.. and I'm willing to spend whatever is necessary to get it exactly right.

Wireless + OEM integration is what has kept the Warheads at the top of my list. Unless an incredibly well reviewed wireless solution shows up before the Warheads.. then Tritton still has my money sitting in their bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khenag View Post

For which who wanted to know it, Tritton Warhead will be released on 15th june (according to amazon spain). Just one month more to clear up any doubts...

You must be new around these parts. There has been about 5 "confirmed" release dates for the Warheads in the past year. Hell Amazon even let me preorder them for a confirmed delivery date sometime last summer.

I will give the benefit of the doubt to you.. and say the Warheads were publicly announced at E3 last year. With E3 occuring in June again this year, it would kinda make sense for Tritton to publicly announce that the Warheads are finally shipping and available on a June release date. Also wouldnt be surprised to see Tritton announce any possibly improvements they've made to the Warhead design in the past 1 year. Either way.. I have no problem waiting another 30 days to see if these latest release date finally comes true.
post #4435 of 5440
Yeah...I'll believe it when I see it.
post #4436 of 5440
Hi Daekwan,
yes, I know this is not an official release date. Neither is it the first "unofficial" one to appear on the net. Just for that I wrote "according to Amazon Spain", but this time I considered quite credible for these facts:

- The proximity of the E3 (as you said) means good coverage from media for advertising.
- The posibility of pre-order, which is used for next close upcoming releases only, at least in Amazon Spain, where it's not a non-sense feature (I don't know in other countries).
- More delay will be an irrecoverable sales advantage for the competence (Turtles).
- The wireless "one step back" Tritton Primer was released almost 4 months ago, time enought to fix possible defects of the wireless system in 5GH band, finalize the design of new models and produce them massively.

All this, along with my own hype, make me think that, this time filtration is not misguided ...
post #4437 of 5440
I definitely hope they improve on the primers. Itd be great if they can get rid or at least attenuate the persistent whine/buzz - something the XP400s didn't have. Also, the amp in the headset seems to distort and clip long before it should - I hope the higher end set at least uses a higher end amp to match the better drivers.
post #4438 of 5440
This "buzz" is just without sound or muting high volume set? does it happens ingame, chating or both? anyway I hope they fit it

By the way, two more spanish e-shops listed the Warhead for 17th and 18th June respectively... We are on the track

http://www.xtralife.es/producto/xbox...rhead-dolby-71

http://www.fnac.es/Auriculares-Tritt...onsola/a670255
post #4439 of 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by khenag View Post

This "buzz" is just without sound or muting high volume set? does it happens ingame, chating or both? anyway I hope they fit it

By the way, two more spanish e-shops listed the Warhead for 17th and 18th June respectively... We are on the track

http://www.xtralife.es/producto/xbox...rhead-dolby-71

http://www.fnac.es/Auriculares-Tritt...onsola/a670255

It's low level and ever present. It starts as soon as you power it up. Hard to say what's causing it - it doesn't get louder as you increase the volume though. Sounds like some sort of electrical feedback. You don't really hear it as soon as the game starts up so it's ignorable - but Id prefer it wasnt there. Maybe my primers are just defective.
post #4440 of 5440
Good news.

I have confirmation by email from a retailer in Spain that the release date of the Warhead will be 15th june

MSRP in Europe 249,99 (I probably could get it for 220). I guess price in EEUU could be 250 $, having no additional euopean distribution costs and taxes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › The NEW Gaming Headset/Headphone Topic! (REQUEST STICKY PLZ)