or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › TotalMedia Theatre 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TotalMedia Theatre 5 - Page 6

post #151 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

Easy...TMT3 isn't sold on ArcSoft's site anymore afaik. The new kid always gets the most attention. IOW, TMT5 is going to get the most upgrading/support. Consider TMT3 "supported" in that they'll continue to fix bugs and compatibility issues as they arise, but, as for new functionality, I wouldn't expect much.

I would be UPGRADING. So to rephrase the question, are any of my four scenarios red flags for buying TMT5 now, or should I let the dust clear (bug fixes and compatibility issues) before upgrading?

I moved this year and I'm tackling a lot of home theater issues all at once. Compatility is high on the list to minimize some of my limited skills.
post #152 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post
I would be UPGRADING. So to rephrase the question, are any of my four scenarios red flags for buying TMT5 now, or should I let the dust clear (bug fixes and compatibility issues) before upgrading?

I moved this year and I'm tackling a lot of home theater issues all at once. Compatility is high on the list to minimize some of my limited skills.
Ok, sorry, I misread what you were asking. I thought you were a new user looking to see what version you should buy. The UPGRADE question is more difficult. This is one a LOT of people are going to struggle with. Are there any new features in TMT5 that make a compelling case that screams "upgrade" to you? TMT5 is going to certainly improve over time. Especially between now and whenever the inevitible TMT6 is released. If you're already happy with TMT3, and you don't see something in TMT5 that's "must have", then maybe holding off until that killer feature is released or a really good deal on the upgrade or TMT3 lets you down in some way makes sense. I'm sure this post doesn't help you in any way make a decision, but, hopefully it'll get you asking the right questions to lead you down the right path for your setup. I'm not telling anyone they should just upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I feel that TMT5 is an improvement, but, whether it's worth it over TMT3 really depends on what you're doing. If you're doing 3D content, I'd say hell yea, it's worth it. Anything else, well, that's a tough one in all honesty.
post #153 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
There's a discount code for ArcSoft right now that if you apply you can get it cheaper. I don't have the code handy but search around and you'll find it.
Page 2 i think seeing it - Use coupon code ARC404P20 to get 20% off the upgrade or the regular price
post #154 of 3674
Question that i can't figure out yet is does TMT5 support bitstreaming of MKV's?
post #155 of 3674
I built my home theater yesterday, htpc with hd6870, Denon 1911 and Sammy PN58C7000. I download TMT5 trail to try 3D iso play. Avatar and How To Train Your Dragon are stunning, HD steaming works fine.
Some bugs i found: Computer Locked once during playing ( Maybe its screensave or power management related ). Cant chose subtitle in How To Train Your Dragon.
post #156 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy064 View Post
Question that i can't figure out yet is does TMT5 support bitstreaming of MKV's?
No, but, on my AMD 5870 with ReClock I was able to get bit perfect PCM from a DTS-HD MA and TrueHD MKV. I was not able to replicate that result on my nVidia 450 though. I'll need to look at that closer and see if I can figure out why it's not working on the 450.
post #157 of 3674
Just want to make sure my problems aren't unique. I am a longtime TMT3 Platinum user and am playing around with the TMT5 trial with the hotfix to support BD folders in the media center plugin:

1. When launching from media center using media browser TMT5 lauches in a window rather than full screen. I have enabled full screen launch in the stand-alone player, but cannot find a similar option in the media center plugin.

2. When hitting stop on my remote to stop a movie in the TMT5 media center plugin, it goes to the media directory (place where you can choose what to watch) in TMT5 rather than backing back out to media center. The only way to get media center back up is to hit start on my remote (the big green button).

3. I haven't tried it yet (I have two monitors when my projector is powered on.), but it seems like TMT5 launches on the monitor opposite media center.

Other than that, everything is running good for me. Are these problems showing up for everyone? Thanks for everyone's input.
post #158 of 3674
hi,

TMT3 has NO UI (user interface) control when playback 3D video in fullscreen. One must exit to window mode to see any control interface, but then the 3D playback is automatically restarted from the beginning. That is VERY annoying!

Does TMT5 has any improvement to this problem? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
post #159 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post
hi,

TMT3 has NO UI (user interface) control when playback 3D video in fullscreen. One must exit to window mode to see any control interface, but then the 3D playback is automatically restarted from the beginning. That is VERY annoying!

Does TMT5 has any improvement to this problem? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
Yes, that is one of the major improvements in TMT5. The UI now works in 3D mode. I have not tested that but I've read that it works.
post #160 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yes, that is one of the major improvements in TMT5. The UI now works in 3D mode. I have not tested that but I've read that it works.
Really? That is great! Finally I can seek in 3D playback!!!

regards,

Li On
post #161 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post
Really? That is great! Finally I can seek in 3D playback!!!

regards,

Li On
I would try the trial and make sure it works for you, but, yea, that's one of the things they supposedly improved greatly.
post #162 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yes, that is one of the major improvements in TMT5. The UI now works in 3D mode. I have not tested that but I've read that it works.




Tested.
LL
LL
post #163 of 3674
Nice. So yea, those that care about 3D really should upgrade. Looks like they did some major improvements there.
post #164 of 3674
Been trying to find a straight answer on TMT5... Can anyone confirm the MCE remote control works in the 10 ft UI? Like the pause, fast forward, rewind, buttons which didn't work in TMT3?

Thanks
post #165 of 3674
They've improved the MCE remote support. I think they'll continue working on it if it's still not right. I haven't done much with the MCE interface myself.
post #166 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Banshee View Post
Been trying to find a straight answer on TMT5... Can anyone confirm the MCE remote control works in the 10 ft UI? Like the pause, fast forward, rewind, buttons which didn't work in TMT3?

Thanks
All those remote controls work fine for me in TMT3 and TMT5 within both UI's.
post #167 of 3674
The Info button no longer brings up the right click menu for me either
post #168 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw View Post

Just want to make sure my problems aren't unique. I am a longtime TMT3 Platinum user and am playing around with the TMT5 trial with the hotfix to support BD folders in the media center plugin:

1. When launching from media center using media browser TMT5 lauches in a window rather than full screen. I have enabled full screen launch in the stand-alone player, but cannot find a similar option in the media center plugin.

2. When hitting stop on my remote to stop a movie in the TMT5 media center plugin, it goes to the media directory (place where you can choose what to watch) in TMT5 rather than backing back out to media center. The only way to get media center back up is to hit start on my remote (the big green button).

3. I haven't tried it yet (I have two monitors when my projector is powered on.), but it seems like TMT5 launches on the monitor opposite media center.

Other than that, everything is running good for me. Are these problems showing up for everyone? Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm having the exact same issue (1 and 2) with media browser and TMT5 retail version.
post #169 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post





Tested.

Andy,

How did you take those screen shots?
I couldn't?
post #170 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw View Post
2. When hitting stop on my remote to stop a movie in the TMT5 media center plugin, it goes to the media directory (place where you can choose what to watch) in TMT5 rather than backing back out to media center. The only way to get media center back up is to hit start on my remote (the big green button).
You can hit the white back button on the MCE Remote, at least that works for me. I do have to wait one moment (actually, I hit the button twice because I am not a patient man) for it to work, though. I suspect Windows is stabilizing during that time.

The reason, imo, for going back to that screen is so you can quickly restart the movie if you wish.
post #171 of 3674
So,the inevitable question how does TMT5 stack up against the opposition PWRDVD 10?
post #172 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post
Andy,

How did you take those screen shots?
I couldn't?
Judging by the fact that the screenshot is tilted, I'm going to guess that he took it with a camera (phone) and cropped the image.
post #173 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT View Post
So,the inevitable question how does TMT5 stack up against the opposition PWRDVD 10?
For me, extremely well. I was using PDVD10 for DVD playback. I no longer need to with TMT5. For BD, TMT3 and PDVD10 were always nearly identical anyway. TMT5 has become my only player at this point.
post #174 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I ask again what benefit buying an old version brings you? Will you save any money? I don't even really quite understand the question, really. I mean, if you have TMT3 already I can completely understand the "should I upgrade" question, but, if you are looking to buy TMT fresh, why wouldn't you go with the latest version that's going to get the most attention development wise?
Well because often times upgrades in computer software bring up all kinds of bugs that need to be ironed out. How many people are still using XP? And yes, TMT3 is available at a significant discount (50% I believe)

Back to my original question - is TMT3 more stable right now and a better choice?
post #175 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post
Well because often times upgrades in computer software bring up all kinds of bugs that need to be ironed out. How many people are still using XP? And yes, TMT3 is available at a significant discount (50% I believe)

Back to my original question - is TMT3 more stable right now and a better choice?
For me on my machine, TMT5 is stable. For others, maybe not. As you said, it's computer software, which means that every piece of hardware is going to react differently with it. TMT3 is a mature product, yes. If you're happy with it, and see no features in TMT5 that you need, then you don't really need to upgrade. For me, the DVD playback improvements alone make it worth it.
post #176 of 3674
One other problem with the media center plugin for TMT5 is that if you have live TV running and switch over to the TMT5 media center plugin through any method (play DVD or media browser) media center keeps the live TV running with sound and TMT5 hangs. So you have to make sure to stop live TV before opening a movie to play in TMT5 media center plugin. It is an extra step which did not need to be performed in TMT3.

I think I am done with the trial version for now. I plan on waiting until some things are fixed before upgrading from TMT3. The important things to me are:

1. MC7 and Media Browser must open TMT5 media center plugin to full screen rather than windowed.
2. TMT5 media center plugin must stop any currently playing playback in MC7 when launching (this includes both live TV and DVD's through My Movies in MC7 if I am using that for DVD playback).
3. Should be an option to go back to MC7 when you hit stop rather than TMT5's media selection screen (Sorry ArcSoft, but many of us will continue to use outside programs for media organizing and selection. It is good to have that functionality for the rest, though.)

As soon as those items are fixed, I will be next in line to upgrade. Until then, TMT3 provides the seemless media center experience that I am looking for.
post #177 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post
Andy,

How did you take those screen shots?
I couldn't?
Sure. I used a Nikon D40
post #178 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Judging by the fact that the screenshot is tilted
I need to get a better tripod
post #179 of 3674
Nice
post #180 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw View Post
....The important things to me are:

1. MC7 and Media Browser must open TMT5 media center plugin to full screen rather than windowed......
... I have to add MyMovies to the list.

While I was able to get MyMovies3 to recognize and launch TMT5 via the Externalplayer.xml, I have been only to able to get a windowed TMT5. I am not sure which party, TMT5 or MM3, has to adjust, but this is not a viable combo as it stands right now.

MM3 and TMT3 on the other works flawlessly for me.

____
Axel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › TotalMedia Theatre 5