or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Dark Knight Rises
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dark Knight Rises - Page 37

post #1081 of 1595
Same. There's nothing ambiguous when they beat you over the head with narrative stuff.

smile.gif
post #1082 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

After tonite's viewing, I noticed two things really work well in this movie: Heath Ledger and the multiple Bad Guy scenario.
What doesn't work well is the casting of MG as Rachel.
Bruce and Rachel are supposed to have grown up together.
Unfortunately, MG looks 10 years older than Bale.
NOT so good.....rolleyes.gif
It was a stupid idea to replace KH, a big blow to continuity and ye ol' Suspension of Disbelief.....IMO.

It was a bonkers decision to go with Katie in the first place - and it just went from bad to worse when they switched to.. Maggie. eek.gif Maggie is a lovely lady otherwise, but not someone I'd see Bruce Wayne falling for irrespective of childhood friendship.
post #1083 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

It was a bonkers decision to go with Katie in the first place
In spite of looking too young for the character, I thought KH gave a good performance.
It isn't her fault Nolan doesn't know how to cast for the role.wink.gif
post #1084 of 1595
Almost the opposite for me. BB was great, but Ledger's twisted performance blew me away. Sort of like Kilmer's rendition of Doc Holliday in Tombstone. Nolan's vision of Batman IS Batman for me either way because both are excellent movies.
post #1085 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

In spite of looking too young for the character, I thought KH gave a good performance.
It isn't her fault Nolan doesn't know how to cast for the role.wink.gif

I read somewhere that he wrote the part specifically with Katie Holmes in mind in the first place. I rewatched Batman Begins a few days ago (I forgot how good it was!) and frankly, I thought she gave a decent performance. I also would have liked to see her back in TDK but well, what's done is done wink.gif Maggie was fine.
post #1086 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I read somewhere that he wrote the part specifically with Katie Holmes in mind in the first place.

Well, sure. I mean, who wouldn't? Along with Meryl Streep and Maggie Smith, Katie is clearly one of the giant talents in the industry today. When I think of that role as defined in the original comics, by golly, I can't help but think of Katie Holmes!
post #1087 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, sure. I mean, who wouldn't? Along with Meryl Streep and Maggie Smith, Katie is clearly one of the giant talents in the industry today. When I think of that role as defined in the original comics, by golly, I can't help but think of Katie Holmes!

lol tell that to him I ain't done nothin' it's not my fault wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1088 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, sure. I mean, who wouldn't? Along with Meryl Streep and Maggie Smith, Katie is clearly one of the giant talents in the industry today. When I think of that role as defined in the original comics, by golly, I can't help but think of Katie Holmes!
Taking her physical appearance aside for a moment....do you feel she gave a decent performance of the character that Nolan served up?
post #1089 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Taking her physical appearance aside for a moment....do you feel she gave a decent performance of the character that Nolan served up?

Yeah, she was fine. The role wasn't terribly taxing and she's certainly pretty enough. But if there was something unique about her that Nolan saw that nobody else did, something that would have made her especially qualified for this particular role or had some special chemistry with Bale, I must have missed it.
post #1090 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post

Almost the opposite for me. BB was great, but Ledger's twisted performance blew me away. Sort of like Kilmer's rendition of Doc Holliday in Tombstone. Nolan's vision of Batman IS Batman for me either way because both are excellent movies.
I think your analogy comparing Heath Ledger as The Joker to Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is apt. Those were two of the most iconic performances I can recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I read somewhere that he wrote the part specifically with Katie Holmes in mind in the first place. I rewatched Batman Begins a few days ago (I forgot how good it was!) and frankly, I thought she gave a decent performance. I also would have liked to see her back in TDK but well, what's done is done wink.gif Maggie was fine.
+1! Although Katie Holmes' skills as an actress are limited, I thought she was just fine in Batman Begins. She was a vulnerable, in-over-her-head young woman in the film and I thought her performance as Rachel worked well. I also agree that Maggie Gyllenhaal's performance was "fine," I might go so far as to say that it was better than fine.
post #1091 of 1595
Yeah not seeing the hate. MG actually has more range, and was the better actress, but they both worked.

Whats actually more weird is how and who he gets over Rachel with in this movie. Didn't really feel like they did the leg work needed to get there.
post #1092 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Whats actually more weird is how and who he gets over Rachel with in this movie. Didn't really feel like they did the leg work needed to get there.
I thought it was too convenient too.
NOT very credible IMO.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
His 7(?) year self-imposed exile over the death of Rachel (according to Alfred), a burglar shows up, steals his Momma's necklace, he gets wood....and does a 180 with his life?rolleyes.gif
post #1093 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I thought it was too convenient too.
NOT very credible IMO. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
His 7(?) year self-imposed exile over the death of Rachel (according to Alfred), a burglar shows up, steals his Momma's necklace, he gets wood....and does a 180 with his life?rolleyes.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Her robbing him in his own home took guts. The necklace was one of the few things he had left of his Mother's. Gotham was supposedly safe now, but this act gave him a newfound purpose.
post #1094 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Her robbing him in his own home took guts. The necklace was one of the few things he had left of his Mother's. Gotham was supposedly safe now, but this act gave him a newfound purpose.
What I was trying to say is: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bruce became so enamoured (on sight! rolleyes.gif) with the Pussycat it pulled him out of his super-grieving for Rachel.
This is a guy who has had women (as in plural) literally hanging off him...

It doesn't work for me.
post #1095 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

What I was trying to say is: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bruce became so enamoured (on sight! rolleyes.gif) with the Pussycat it pulled him out of his super-grieving for Rachel.
This is a guy who has had women (as in plural) literally hanging off him...
It doesn't work for me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It's Anne Hatha-frickin'-way, have you looked at her *cough* assets?????? of course it works! lol

okay seriously now wink.gif ...iirc, I think *SHE* is the one who falls for him first. Besides, with what Alfred told him, not just the Rachel bit, but the fact he's gonna have to live a life at some point and leave Batman, Alfred genuinely thinks Bruce deserves a happy life. The fact that he fires him doesn't matter, deep down Bruce knows Alfred is right. Ultimately Selina stands for the same values as Bruce's despite her "missteps" with the Bane gang.. and we don't know how much time passed between the italian restaurant scene, a couple of years perhaps? we just know that they end up together. They both had to start over and they both had to move away from Gotham... Oh well, what matters is that Batman did get the girl, and damn did he pick the hottest! wink.gif
post #1096 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
They both had to start over and they both had to move away from Gotham...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Right, so the 'blank slate' computer virus that's she's after isn't just a mcguffin, it is what helps her (them?) start over.
post #1097 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post

Almost the opposite for me. BB was great, but Ledger's twisted performance blew me away.
Sure. He blew us all away, but he was the only interesting aspect of the film, IMO. Now, I'd actually like to see some "villain vehicles" (i.e: Ming the Merciless, etc.), but Ledger's TDK performance way outshone everyone including Bale, making it feel unbalanced to myself.
post #1098 of 1595
Here's something I found after reading a "why TDKR sucked" crappy article wink.gif Call me a fanboy, but this made me want to watch it again redface.gif

The 50 Best Moments of TDKR (Warning, HUGE spoilers ahead...) cool.gif
post #1099 of 1595
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It's Anne Hatha-frickin'-way, have you looked at her *cough* assets??????
I have always felt she has a high degree of sexiness....those big brown eyes get to me.redface.giftongue.gif


Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Oh well, what matters is that Batman did get the girl, and damn did he pick the hottest! wink.gif
LOL, I guess you're right.wink.gif
post #1100 of 1595
Saw it yesterday, easily the weakest in the trilogy. Just to much over the top scenes.
post #1101 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Saw it yesterday, easily the weakest in the trilogy. Just to much over the top scenes.
Before I make Final Judgement, I'll watch the BD in my HT.
I had a helluva time making out the dialog....mad.giffrown.gif
post #1102 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I had a helluva time making out the dialog....mad.giffrown.gif

I guess watching it with subtitles was a good thing then.
post #1103 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I guess watching it with subtitles was a good thing then.
Started watching ALL movies with subs back in 06 and have never looked back. Doesn't matter what it is comedy, action, foreign, and esp dramas having it there means you don't have to rely on it all the time or reading it word for word but know it is always there when someone is speaking too fast, mumbling, accents, noise interruptions/distractions in the room from other people watching with you. Makes the whole movie experience easier and complete.
post #1104 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It's Anne Hatha-frickin'-way, have you looked at her *cough* assets?????? of course it works! lol
okay seriously now wink.gif ...iirc, I think *SHE* is the one who falls for him first. Besides, with what Alfred told him, not just the Rachel bit, but the fact he's gonna have to live a life at some point and leave Batman, Alfred genuinely thinks Bruce deserves a happy life. The fact that he fires him doesn't matter, deep down Bruce knows Alfred is right. Ultimately Selina stands for the same values as Bruce's despite her "missteps" with the Bane gang.. and we don't know how much time passed between the italian restaurant scene, a couple of years perhaps? we just know that they end up together. They both had to start over and they both had to move away from Gotham... Oh well, what matters is that Batman did get the girl, and damn did he pick the hottest! wink.gif
I agree with your analysis 100 percent. It had me leaving the theater with a smile on my face.smile.gif As noted in earlier posts, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the scene was still subject to the interpretation that Alfred didn't really see Bruce and Salina in the cafe. I confess, though, that I wanted Bruce and Selina to really have been there.
post #1105 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Before I make Final Judgement, I'll watch the BD in my HT.
I had a helluva time making out the dialog....mad.giffrown.gif


Same complaint here and thought it was just the 15/70 IMAX presentation, but others seeing it regular 35mm have said as much too.

Hopefully they do a proper remix for the home theater release. There were times when the music or FX was so loud over dialogue you couldn't make it out, and it's not just Bane...
post #1106 of 1595
I hate this takacrap app!!!! How the heck do I view the spoilers in this thing??? Freaken Avs... Don't know what happened that made you abandon that great app.
post #1107 of 1595
Back to the film... I only realized yesterday that in the knight fall story Alfred resigned too.

I found out of the three films, Nolan really took from the comics for this last one.
post #1108 of 1595
I finally saw it yesterday YAY! cool.gif Now I can read this cyrptic thead made that way by all the spoiler alerts. rolleyes.gif

Pro-tip: oink's a psychologist in real life so your backs are up against the wall I hope you know. wink.gif
post #1109 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

oink's a psychologist in real life so your backs are up against the wall I hope you know. wink.gif
Well, sorta....I have been called a psychologist before.
post #1110 of 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree with your analysis 100 percent. It had me leaving the theater with a smile on my face.smile.gif As noted in earlier posts, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I thought the scene was still subject to the interpretation that Alfred didn't really see Bruce and Salina in the cafe. I confess, though, that I wanted Bruce and Selina to really have been there.

They set that up with the reveal that Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Bruce had fixed the autopilot feature on the Batwing, leading us to believe he jumped out before the explosion, somehow managed to survive being that close to it and the resulting tidal surge (which would have banged up against the Gotham harbor not dissimilarly to the Japanese quake), and somehow was able to swim back to shore, all with an open knife wound that looked to get worse with each twist of the Bad Girl's hand.

All in a day's work for a Superhero. wink.gif

Can't wait to see this on BD with the subtitles on. I feel like I missed half the dialog.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Dark Knight Rises